Thomas is Jets hybrid- Pelzman

Kentucky Jet

Thomas is Jets` hybrid

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Bryan Thomas is one of those players who enjoys the mental aspect of football just as much as the physical part of it.

"It's almost like playing checkers or chess," Thomas said. "It's trying to out-think your opponents, and that's what's so great about the game."

That's an appropriate way for Thomas to look at things, considering that his career didn't take off until the Jets moved him into a different position on the board.

As a defensive end for the first four seasons of his career, Thomas seemed as out of place as a knight on a checkerboard. But once deployed properly as an outside linebacker when the Jets switched to the 3-4 last season, he became as valuable a piece as the Jets have on defense.

Figuratively and literally, that is, as Thomas signed a five-year contract extension for $25 million in November, in the midst of a season in which he recorded career highs in both sacks (8.5) and tackles (77).

The challenge in 2007 is for Thomas to build upon that season, now that he is a known quantity to the Jets' opponents. In his second year in the system, he also needs to refine his game even more, now that he can further explore the nuances of the Jets' complicated schemes.

Coach Eric Mangini believes Thomas is doing just that.

"There were a few plays in the (Minnesota) game," Mangini said Monday, "where I thought Bryan did a really excellent job of understanding where he fit and then coming off his fit to make the play."

In non-coachspeak, that means that Thomas was where he was supposed to be when those plays began, but then read where the play would be going and made the correct adjustments.

"That's something that's very important in the base scheme," Mangini added, "is that you have a certain assignment, but at some point when the ball carrier declares, then you can declare, and have to know when to make that decision. If you make it at the wrong time, you go inside too quickly and (the running back) just bounces out."

"This year, everything is moving a little more smoothly," said Thomas, who only had 6.5 sacks in his first four seasons of the NFL, "because I'm in the second year of the defense and I'm seeing things a bit better.

"My only job is to go out there and work hard," Thomas added, "and run to the ball every single play, hustle to the ball every single play. And just lead by example. If I'm hustling to the ball and running around the field each and every play, then things are going to happen that are positive things.

"Whatever coach asks me to do," Thomas added, "I'm out there willing to do it."

After Mangini became the Jets' head coach, he quickly decided the 6-foot-6, 265-pound Thomas would make a better fit as a standup linebacker most of the time than a down lineman.

"I wasn't really asking," Mangini said about Thomas' switch. "I mean, that's what was going to happen."

"I love it," Thomas said of his position. "I look at it as a hybrid position. It requires you to do a whole bunch of things. The defense we're doing now, it's always changing and disguising and I love it."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Thomas had a very nice season last year. If the Jets are going to be successful this season, hemust have a breakout year.

He has been a bit quiet in the preseason games so far, but the D has been very bland. Hopefully they will open it up against the Giants , and Thomas will start to earn his new contract.

Archived