Jets News articles- Thurs., 8/30

Kentucky Jet

NY POST

CLEMENS CLIMBS

SUMMER'S BEEN GOOD TO BACKUP QB

By MARK CANNIZZARO

August 30, 2007 -- PHILADELPHIA - Chad Pennington's preseason is over. If he plays a down the Jets' preseason finale against the Eagles tonight, it'll be an upset.

As for Kellen Clemens, tonight marks the end of his season . . . if all goes well for the Jets, that is.

Clemens, Pennington's backup in his second season, has been a revelation this summer, not only cementing himself as the No. 2 but offering a positive glimpse into the future.

Though the bulk of his work has come against backups, Clemens has led the Jets on eight scoring drives (seven TDs, one FG) in 13 possessions. He's 28 of 39 for 352 yards, four TDs and two INTs.

Those numbers, even if they had come in practice, are eye-opening.

"He's establishing himself as a very solid NFL quarterback," WR Justin McCareins said of Clemens. "He gets better every day. He's a gutsy guy who has a big future."

McCareins should know. Five of his six preseason receptions have come from Clemens.

"This is a big game," Clemens said. "This will be the last time I have a good chance of playing. You want to go out there and finish strong."

Another good showing tonight may have Jets fans clamoring for Clemens should Pennington struggle early in the season.

"It's definitely a lot easier being in my second year," said Clemens, a second-round pick out of Oregon. "The game is slowing down. In your second year, things should become more clear."

Eric Mangini said he likes what he's seen of Clemens from last year to this summer.

August 30, 2007 -- CONTINUED

"He had a good training camp last year and, as you transition into the season, whether you're the second or the third (team), you just don't get the volume of reps that you would if you're the first," Mangini said. "You're trying to prepare, but you don't get that same level of experience.

"He would take a group after practice and those guys would run through plays together. It could be the practice squad receivers or some of the guys who may be on the third and fourth. Those things are huge in the development of any player.

"There are no shortcuts to improvement. It comes through hard work."

Mangini has an intriguing decision to make with the third quarterback spot as the final cut to 53 players looms Saturday.

One player who's been a bit lost in the shuffle and will have a last chance to show his worth is QB Marques Tuiasosopo. Brad Smith as the No. 3 makes the most sense because of his versatility as a WR, RB and kickoff returner. Tuiasosopo said he hopes to use tonight to make the coaches believe he must stay.

"I'll play hard and do the things that will hopefully be good for me to showcase what I can do to operate this offense," said Tuiasosopo, a veteran who played in Oakland last season.

All eyes will be on the precarious left-guard situation, with rookie Jacob Bender and Adrien Clarke battling to replace Pete Kendall. Bender, who had a rough outing Saturday against the Giants, will get another long look. . . . CB Justin Miller (hamstring) and S Eric Smith (leg) returned to practice during the week and are likely to play. Starting CB Andre Dyson, who sat out last week's game against the Giants with a leg injury, also practiced but might sit as a precaution. . . . RB Thomas Jones, who's played one preseason game because of a strained calf suffered on Aug. 12, won't play but is expected to be ready for the Sept. 9 opener.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Jets set to go on with Jacob Bender

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 30th 2007, 4:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story

Read Rich Cimini's The Jets Stream

It looks like Bender or bust.

Convinced the small-school rookie has the goods to become a proficient left guard, the Jets are planning to open the season with Jacob Bender in Pete Kendall's old spot, according to a person familiar with the team's thinking. Unless a starting-caliber guard unexpectedly becomes available, the way Kendall did in 2004, the Jets are willing to endure the inevitable growing pains.

In other words, they're not going to make a panic move for a second-rate player. The Jets remain high on Bender despite his shaky performance last week in his starting debut. Against the Giants, the sixth-round pick from Nicholls State allowed one sack and at least two pressures.

"I know what type of player he is, I know how physical he is and I know that he has the eagerness to learn and get better," said Chad Pennington. "You can't teach a guy to get off the football, and this guy knows how to get off the football. He knows how to strike his opponent. You can't teach that, it's just God-given."

Pennington is unlikely to play tonight against the Eagles in the preseason finale in Philadelphia. Chances are, Eric Mangini will rest the starters - he did last year - although it would make sense for Bender to see more action before facing the Patriots in the Sept. 9 opener. Bender is a converted tackle, still learning the nuances of guard. He replaced Adrien Clarke, who was demoted after starting the first two games. GM Mike Tannenbaum, who traded Kendall to the Redskins after months of contract-based acrimony, continues to explore the guard market. But the pickings are slim. The Jets will face the Patriots with a rookie left guard and second-year players at left tackle and center - D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold, respectively. The future looks bright, but they could suffer in the short term, especially against a clever team such as the Patriots. Coach Bill Belichick is a master at identifying and exploiting weaknesses.

Tonight should help Mangini finalize his quarterback depth chart. Kellen Clemens has solidified the No. 2 job with a terrific preseason, but the No. 3 spot remains a question. Will the Jets keep Marques Tuiasosopo or simply use the versatile Brad Smith in that role? "I think I've shown I'm capable of operating in this offense," said Tuiasosopo, who has completed seven of 13 passes for 68 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions in the preseason.

The Jets don't have much experience behind Pennington, but they feel better about their depth because of Clemens, who has made a dramatic improvement. Discussing Clemens, Mangini used a Tom Brady anecdote from 2000, describing how the then-rookie stayed after practice every day to work on his game. By 2001, the Patriots were so confident in Brady that they had no problem making him the starter when Drew Bledsoe was injured. You know the rest of the story.

Mangini believes Clemens has a Brady-like work ethic and, although he wasn't comparing him to the three-time Super Bowl champ, the Jets' coach will have no problem turning to Clemens during the season if the offense falls apart under Pennington. Clemens has a better arm than Pennington, who relies on touch, timing and anticipation. "(Clemens) has shown some good touch in the short area, and there have been some positive deep balls," said Mangini, noting the 43-yard strike last week to Justin McCareins.

Clemens has led the offense to seven of its nine touchdowns, but he has faced mostly backups.

LAST CALL: The final few roster spots will be up for grabs tonight in Philadelphia, where the Jets close the preseason against the Eagles. Veterans on the bubble include Tuiasosopo, TE Sean Ryan, WR Frisman Jackson, DE Michael Haynes, LB Andre Wadsworth, NT Sione Pouha, NT C.J. Mosley, LB Anthony Schlegel, CB Drew Coleman and CB Hank Poteat. The roster stands at 75 and must be cut to 53 by Saturday. ... RB Thomas Jones (calf) won't play, but he's expected to be ready for the opener.

Jones Should Play in Opener

Posted by Bob Bullock August 29, 2007 9:45PM

Categories: Player news

The New York Post reports today that Thomas Jones should be ready for the season opener in 11 days against the Patriots. It seems Jones continues to increase his workload in practice, although he will NOT play tomorrow night against the Eagles in the final preseason game of 2007. So the next time Jones takes the field it will be for real. Coach Mangini doesn't think it will be a problem.

"He's been through a lot of games," Mangini said. "He's been through a lot of situations and he's very active in meetings. We're pretty comfortable with the combination of his experience, what he's been doing in the meetings, and his ability to come back and contribute effectively."

It will be huge for the Jets' offense to have him available for week one. They will need to control the ball against Brady and company to have any shot and Jones gives them that ability.

Battle for #3

Tomorrow's game against Philadelphia will be the battle for the number 3 quarterback job. Marques Tuiasosopo and Brad Smith will get the bulk of the playing time tomorrow night, as most of the starters will not play much, if at all. The way it looks now, Smith will be the number three guy and Tui will be looking for work. It doesn't make sense for the team to keep Tui when Smith can fill that roll and do so many other jobs for the team. He plays wide receiver, he returns kicks, he's on the kick coverage team, about the only thing he doesn't do is pass out the Gatorade! Each roster spot is so valuable, it would be silly for them to use one on Tuiasosopo. The guy just is not that good.

It will be interesting to see if the first team offensive line gets work tomorrow night. That is a unit that can use all of the game reps it can get. Jacob Bender and D'Brickashaw need to be on the same page heading into the opener and playing in game conditions can only help. Injuries are a concern, but so is the ability to get the job done!

Versatility helps those vying for job with Jets

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

August 30, 2007

Article tools

E-mail Share

Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Furl Google Newsvine Reddit Spurl Yahoo Print Single page view Reprints Reader feedback Text size: For a number of players, this fourth preseason game is the equivalent of fourth down: All or nothing.

After a month of training camp practices, two team scrimmages, three preseason games and hours upon hours of studying, tonight's meeting against the Eagles will be the final chance to state the case for a season in the NFL. The Jets have 75 players on their roster as they head to Philadelphia. Soon after they return - by Saturday evening, to be precise - there must be 53.

It's a staggering cutdown of almost 30 percent, which leads to the startling statistical realization that a player can look to his left, look to his right, and know that one of the three will probably be looking for work come Labor Day.

While most of the thumbs-up, thumbs-down decisions have been made, there is still time to make an impression. Good or poor.

"As each week goes on, guys make a compelling case for themselves," coach Eric Mangini said. "Each game and each practice is a chance for you to make your case. I've seen that so many times where a guy early in camp comes out, lights it on fire and then trails off. Or somebody who may have had a slow start really comes on. When you look at the full body of work, who you thought it was going to be isn't there. Sometimes those guys think that they made the team, and that's not how it works."

Those who are in the final moments of their audition aren't only young first-timers, though they make up a bulk of the group. Wantagh native Joe Villani, an undrafted rookie out of Pitt, will probably see significant time on the offensive line tonight and will hope to outshine other rookie linemen such as Dominic Moran and Robert Turner as well those with experience such as Marko Cavka and Na'Shan Goddard.

Evan Prall from Division II East Stroudsburg will try to stand out in a deep pool of wide receivers which includes far-from-secure players Wallace Wright, Frisman Jackson and rookie Chansi Stuckey. And running back Alvin Banks, who has not had a carry in the last two games, will likely get a shot after dodging the first round of cuts earlier this week.

"I was holding my breath," he said. "I'm holding my breath from now until they make those cuts. You can't really get comfortable."

Banks' competition for No.3 running back is fellow rookie Danny Ware, who just happens to lead the team in preseason rushing with 150 yards on 38 carries. But Mangini has made it clear that the final few roster spots will not come down to positions but how a player can help the team on special teams or other areas.

"I stressed that they are not just competing with the guy in their spot," Mangini said. "They are competing with all of those other guys that are in similar spots in the other positions."

Besides the rookies, some veterans will be fighting for those spots. Defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen, a starter last year, could be suiting up as a Jet for the final time. Linebacker Anthony Schlegel hasn't had much of a chance to show that the decision to take him in the third round of last year's draft wasn't a mistake. Defensive end Michael Haynes and linebacker Andre Wadsworth, both coming back from injuries, could be derailed.

Most of the starters will have the game off, or be used in a very limited capacity. But a few will take a load of snaps. Mangini said it will be decided on a "case-by-case" basis. The Jets will likely want to take another look at projected starting left guard Jacob Bender, and they'll likely want Darrelle Revis to participate to make up for the time he missed with his contract.

Some players such as Andre Dyson, Justin Miller and Eric Smith, who have missed games with injuries, could get their final tune-up. Who plays when and where is as much a mystery as who will be a Jet when the weekend comes along.

"I don't know what's going through the coaches' minds," Banks said, summing up the uncertainty of many players, "I'm just hoping I'm here when it's all said and done."

Jets at Philadelphia

7:30 p.m.

TV: Ch.2

Radio: WEPN (1050)

JETS PLAYERS ON THE BRINK

Six players, from rookies to veterans, to watch in tonight's preseason finale (because the Jets coaching staff will be watching them closely, as well):

Ex-Ravens guard in talks with Jets

Thursday, August 30, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets, who are in search of a veteran guard, are one of several teams that have expressed interest in free agent Keyrick Vincent, according to a person familiar with the discussions between the Jets and Vincent's representatives.

That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because talks are ongoing and he's not authorized to speak publicly.

The Dolphins and Bills, who both need help at guard, are also believed to be interested in Vincent, a veteran who was released by the Ravens on Tuesday. Miami was eyeing Pete Kendall before the Jets traded him to the Redskins last Thursday.

Vincent's agent, Ken Zuckerman, was unavailable for comment yesterday. On Tuesday afternoon, he told The Star-Ledger that he hadn't spoken to the Jets.

The Jets likely want to see how rookie Jacob Bender fares against the Eagles tonight in the preseason finale at Lincoln Financial Field before making a move. He struggled early against the Giants last week, allowing a sack and a pressure, but he settled down and the club remains high on him.

Bender, a sixth-round pick from Division 1-AA Nicholls State, is expected to start against the Eagles, who will play primarily backups. Third-year pro Adrien Clarke, a former Eagle, is also in the mix but the club appears disappointed in him. Clarke started throughout the off-season workouts, training camp and the first two preseason games before being demoted.

Vincent (6-5, 325 pounds) started the past two seasons for the Ravens at right guard and was working at left guard in training camp this summer. The seventh-year pro out of Mississippi became expendable because Baltimore had a surplus of guards after drafting a guard, Ben Grubbs, with their first-round pick.

Vincent was injured the past two seasons and fell out of favor with the Ravens. He stormed out of training camp on the first day when he learned he had lost his starting job to second-year pro Chris Chester. He returned the next day and worked hard throughout camp, although he made it clear he wanted out.

Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens have locked up the starting and backup job, respectively, at quarterback, but the battle for the third-string job is on and it's more of a personnel decision than one based on talent. Do the Jets keep multi-purpose performer Brad Smith as the third quarterback or do they give the job to ex-Raider Marques Tuiasosopo, who has had a solid camp despite getting limited reps and is clearly the better pure quarterback?

"I'm not a coach," said Tuiasosopo, who has completed 7-of-13 passes for 68 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions in the preseason. "Those decisions I don't think about. My concern is just to get this game plan down the best I can and when they tell me to go in, I can move us down the field, have positive plays and score some points."

Smith has been underwhelming at quarterback, completing 4-of-7 passes for 21 yards in the preseason. As a receiver, though, he made a nifty 34-yard catch against the Giants and had a 46-yard kickoff return against the Falcons. He has seven carries for 47 yards and also plays on special teams (two tackles).

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

Jets to take hard look at third-quarterback spot in final preseason game

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 30, 2007)

The Jets, or at least players wearing Jets uniforms, will be in Philadelphia tonight. But even if coach Eric Mangini follows the lead of Eagles counterpart Andy Reid and keeps his starters rooted to the bench and out of harm's reach, the final preseason game has some significance.

It's not often that picking a third quarterback draws much, if any, attention. But whether ex-Raider Marques Tuiasosopo or versatile Brad Smith fills that role with the Jets will affect the composition of the roster.

Second-year pro Kellen Clemens, who's had a strong preseason in establishing himself as Chad Pennington's backup, is expected to start before Tuiasosopo and Smith get a chance to audition.

Kickoff is set for 7:30 at Lincoln Financial Field.

"It'll be good to showcase what I can do and operate," the 28-year-old Tuiasosopo said. "I think with the reps I've had in practice and reps I've had in a game, I think I've shown I'm capable of operating this offense."

Tuiasosopo, who started two of the 11 games he played over six seasons in Oakland, represents the standard reserve quarterback option. He's completed 7 of 13 passes for 68 yards and one touchdown in the preseason.

But the 23-year-old Smith would allow the Jets much more roster flexibility. Though he's listed as a quarterback, the position he played in college, Smith was used mainly as a wide receiver last season and has also lined up as a running back.

"We have another opportunity here to watch Tui and Brad and see, again, what they look like operating the team against an opponent outside of practice," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "This is an important viewing for us in terms of that. What I will say is that Brad's worked significantly at quarterback and gotten a lot of reps, and that's been his focus throughout camp. I think he's done a good job of the things he's been asked to do."

In three preseason games, Smith has completed 4 of 7 passes for 21 yards, rushed or scrambled seven times for 47 yards and caught a 34-yard pass from Clemens. He's also returned two punts for 16 yards, and his five kickoff returns have averaged 25.8 yards.

The Jets could easily consider him their third quarterback while using him elsewhere in the offense. Teams are allowed to activate 45 players for games and the third, or emergency, quarterback can enter the game only if the first two at the position are unable to continue.

So using Smith in this way would allow the Jets to keep an extra player at a different position - one who no doubt would contribute on special teams - rather than reserve three roster spots for quarterbacks.

"I never really look at those kinds of things," Smith said. "I do whatever I have to do. That's the way I have always been."

Meanwhile, Clemens will be relegated to holding the clipboard after tonight if all goes according to the Jets' plans, meaning Pennington stays healthy and plays well.

"This is a big game," said Clemens, who has completed 28 of 39 passes for 352 yards with four touchdowns and two interceptions in the preseason. "This will be the last chance that I know that I have a pretty good chance of playing. You want to go out there, hopefully finish strong and put on a good showing."

Note: The Jets are said to be dangling cornerback Andre Dyson as trade bait as they try to acquire a veteran left guard to replace Pete Kendall. The 28-year-old Dyson started 15 games last season, but the Jets seem comfortable inserting Darrelle Revis at left cornerback despite the first-rounder missing 20 days of training camp due to a holdout.

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross

FIVE QUESTIONS FOR THE JETS

1. Will second-year quarterback Kellen Clemens continue to turn up the heat on Chad Pennington?

Clemens could start and get significant playing time. Another stellar performance will further shorten the leash on Pennington.

Advertisement

2. Can LB David Harris keep it up?

The second-round pick from Michigan is making plays in the 3-4 scheme that Jonathan Vilma isn't. How long can the coaches ignore that?

3. Can rookie LG Jacob Bender bounce back?

After a rough outing against the Giants, Bender needs to give the coaches some confidence in him. Meanwhile, they're scanning the waiver wire for a veteran.

4. Will the run defense finally show up?

Well, it'll likely be the backups most of the night, but we're looking for any sign of progress. A big game from backup NT Sione Pouha would be encouraging.

5. How will Rutgers rookie free-agent CB Manny Collins do?

A strong showing could earn him a spot on the practice squad, which isn't bad for a late signee.

-- DAVE HUTCHINSON

Sports

Posted on Thu, Aug. 30, 2007 The final chance to audition/ The Eagles-Jets game will settle some roster spots.

By Bob Brookover

Inquirer Staff Writer

Whenever the Eagles meet the New York Jets in the preseason, it always seems to be the most meaningless of games. Tonight's matchup at Lincoln Financial Field should not be any different.

The Eagles' starters, for the most part, will all be placed in head coach Andy Reid's sideline protection program.

The fans are way past ready for the regular season to begin and somewhat annoyed that they have to ante up their hard-earned cash to watch second- and third-string players, many of whom won't have a job when the games count in a little more than a week.

The preseason finale may not have immense entertainment value, but it does have meaning for some.

"There are still a number of spots that can be determined within this game," coach Andy Reid said Tuesday. "It becomes a very important game for these guys."

The most notable and perhaps most important position still up for grabs is the punting job. Reid promised a competition after the Eagles signed Australian Sav Rocca over the winter, and one has emerged.

Rocca has proved he has a rocket for a leg and had an outstanding performance Sunday night in Pittsburgh, nailing five punts for a net average of 41.6 yards, including two that were downed inside the 10-yard line.

Dirk Johnson did not get a chance to punt against the Steelers, but the incumbent will handle the first-half punting duties against the Jets.

"I keep saying they're close," Reid said. "They've both done a great job. Whether it's here or somewhere else, either one of them is going to play for another team. Whoever we decide to let go, is going to play."

Johnson, who has opened the season as the Eagles' punter in each of the last four years, is glad the coach feels that way, but he knows "until it happens" there are no guarantees that a job will be awaiting the loser in the punting competition.

Though Johnson has had one of his finest preseasons with the Eagles, it may not be enough to allow him to keep the job. And even though Rocca has displayed a thunder foot at times, there's still a risk factor in keeping a guy who has never punted in a regular-season NFL game.

Part of the risk is that the Eagles have no way of knowing how Rocca will handle punting or holding placekicks in the miserable weather conditions that can occur late in the season and during the postseason.

A number of other players also could determine their fate with tonight's performance. Safeties Marcus Paschal and C.J. Gaddis probably are fighting for a spot on the roster, with the runner-up probably landing a spot on the practice squad.

Cornerbacks Nick Graham and Rashad Barksdale also could be battling for a single spot on the roster.

On the offensive side of the ball, Reid said he has decided who would start at right guard if Shawn Andrews (sprained ankle) is not able to play in the Sept. 9 opener at Green Bay. Reid started Scott Young, Max Jean-Gilles and Nick Cole at the right guard spot in each of the first three preseason games.

"I've kind of sorted out who I think is the best of all three," Reid said. "I'm not going to get into that, but I'll be curious to see how they do this game here because all three of them will have a chance to play."

Cole could end up as the top reserve at guard because he can also play center, which provides more roster flexibility than the other two players. It is believed that Reid would like Winston Justice to be the top reserve tackle.

Quarterback Kevin Kolb probably also cherishes tonight's opportunity, because barring some catastrophic development, this figures to be his last bit of playing time for quite a while.

"I've known that for a long time," the rookie said. "So what I have to do is I have to go out and perform and . . . feel good about where I'm at after these four games. That way, I'll know what I can build on and what I have to improve on as I go through the season."

Contact staff writer Bob Brookover at 215-854-2577 or bbrookover@phillynews

at the time I posted these articles. Sorry. I will try to look a bit later for them. Enjoy and Go Jets!

Hold the presses! Here is the Bergen record- Pelzman

Jobs on line in Jets' preseason finale

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

As the Jets were stretching before practice Tuesday, the sound system was blasting a remix of the theme from "Rocky," an obvious reminder of their trip to Philadelphia to play the Eagles tonight at 7:30.

And while the preseason finale is a chance for most of the prospective starters to decide which style of Jets' baseball cap they prefer, other players will indeed be in a fight. A fight to make the roster, with this being one final chance to impress the coaching staff before NFL rosters must be trimmed to 53 by Saturday.

One of those players is veteran quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo, a free agent pickup who threw two touchdowns and seven interceptions in six seasons with Oakland before coming to the Jets. The emergence of Kellen Clemens as the apparent No. 2 quarterback has limited Tuiasosopo's chances. He is 7-for-13 for 68 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions in the preseason.

Plus, he's also competing with quarterback-wide receiver Brad Smith. Coach Eric Mangini, who prizes versatility, could elect to keep Smith as the third quarterback, allowing him to use that roster spot someplace else.

ON TV

Jets vs. Eagles

7:30 p.m., Ch. 2

KEYS TO THE GAME

Three things to look for from the Jets in tonight's game:

1. Will rookie Darrelle Revis build on his strong game against the Giants, or will the effects of missing 20 days of training camp begin to show?

2. Can reserve QB Marques Tuiasosopo, in what figures to be his most extended action this preseason, show enough to earn a spot on the team?

3. In the expected battle of backups, which Jets on the fence (DE Michael Haynes, S Raymond Ventrone, etc.) will state their case to stay?

GREEN MACHINE

Football writer J.P. Pelzman tackles all the behind-the-scenes stories about your New York Jets

Visit the blog

"Every time I go out there," Tuiasosopo said this week, "I try to make a statement for myself. I don't really worry about [being cut] because it's a waste of time for me. I can't control what they're going to end up deciding. I try just to control the way I play, and hopefully I've shown them enough. And hopefully, I will show them something [tonight] and they'll feel I can be an asset to this team."

"We have another opportunity here," Mangini said, "to watch Tui and Brad and see, again, what they look like operating the team against an opponent outside of practice. This is an important viewing for us in terms of that. ... Brad's worked significantly at quarterback and gotten a lot of reps and that's been his focus throughout camp. I think he's done a good job of the things he's been asked to do."

"It's been a unique experience. I've had fun," said Smith, who has had to participate in both quarterback and wide receiver meetings this summer.

Smith added that playing both positions "helps in understanding the big picture, understanding what everybody is doing and how each spot fits into the whole plan. ... It's helped me a lot as a football player."

Smith said he isn't all that concerned about where he will play once the regular season begins.

"I never really look at those kind of things," he said. "I just do whatever I have to do. That's just the way I've always been."

Of course, he doesn't have to worry about just making it to the regular season. Not so for Tuiasosopo.

"With the reps that I've had in practice and the reps I've had in the games," Tuiasosopo said, "I think I've shown that I'm capable of operating this offense. Some things that didn't go well, I've learned from.

"I've come back and shown that they can trust me with the offense. There are still things that I'm trying to grab a hold of, but I feel really good in this offense right now, [but] I'm not where I will be."

And tonight could go a long way toward determining where he will be in a few days.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Still no NY TIMES at 7 AM.

Wow. Yeah I'd have to say the most interesting thing is the talk of Dyson being dangled out as trade bait. I was kind of hoping for a Revis & Dyson combination for the next 3-5 years but I guess that might be a longshot now. I guess Justin Miller really is emerging because this coaching staff cannot be comfortable with David Barrett starting... could they?:character42:

Archived