Five Questions for the Jets

Smizzy

Saturday, September 01, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Will second-year QB Kellen Clemens continue to turn the up heat on Chad Pennington?

Clemens had a quiet night against the Eagles, completing his only two passes for 12 yards in one series and one play worth of action. But he has already made his point and the leash has shortened on Pennington, who'll start vs. the Pats.

Can LB David Harris keep it up?

Yes. Harris was made for the 3-4 defense and he continues to make plays that Jonathan Vilma is not. The Jets won't be able to keep him out of the lineup too much longer. The question is, will Vilma or Eric Barton sit?

Can rookie G Jacob Bender bounce back?

Bender absolutely smoked Eagles rookie free agent DT Jeremy Clark. Bender is a sensational run blocker but still needs to improve on pass protection. He has promise but he's not ready for the Patriots just yet.

Will the run defense finally show up?

The Jets' reserves held the Eagles' backups to 77 yards rushing on 23 carries, but we're not excited. Let's see what they do next week when the Patriots come storming into town.

How did Rutgers rookie free agent CB Manny Collins do?

He had three tackles and a near interception on a pass breakup, and on special teams he had a tackle and a key block on Chansi Stuckey's 38-yard punt return. He's a candidate for the practice squad.

:Typotux:

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Will second-year QB Kellen Clemens continue to turn the up heat on Chad Pennington?

No. It's out of his hands now. It's Pennington's job to lose, which he could if his preseason malaise wasnt a mirage, or if the OL gets him maimed.

Yes. As he gets more familiar with his pass coverage assignments, he will only get better, and Sutton will start rotating Vilma, barton and harris.

He could, but it's against the odds. He will eventually become a good OL, but will go through some growing pains, which will be especially painful for CP.

Bend but dont break. They'll be better than last year, though.

He is in over his head a little, but he's worked hard all summer, and the CS wouldnt have kept him around all this time if they didnt think he could play.

No. Last season Chad helped lead the Jets into the playoffs under a rookie HC in Mangini, a first year OC in Martys boy, 2 rookies on the O-Line in Ferguson and Mangold, Running backs such as Barlow, Blaylock and Houston, and a defense that could had Chad working like a dog... And as a team we still finished with 10 wins, beat the Pats 1 time, and made the playoffs.

This season Chad will have a 1-2 punch in Thomas Jones and Leon Washington to work with in the backfield, a WR in Coles that has proven to be Chads #1 man, a WR in Cotch that had a breakout season last year working with Chad, Both Brick and Mangold will be 2nd year players and far from Rookies, this Offseason has been Chad's first healthy offseason in a long time where he actually got to put in time with players such as Baker, Cotchery, Stukey, Brad Smith and actually get a chance to execute the plays in the playbook from Martys boy... Instead of just learning them on the sidelines. Chad is the starting QB for the Jets this year, IMO the only way KC gets thrown into the fire is if Chad goes down due to an injury.

Yes. Alot of "Experts" were saying the day of the draft that D.Harris was the 2nd best MLB in the draft, and actually a 1st round talent. As we all know Michigan produces alot of great players, and I feel that D.Harris may be another elite player for years to come in the NFL. He seems to be a true 3-4 LB, always taking on the blocks, always flying to the ball, and just seems to have a nose for the ball carrier, I have actually loved what Iv seen from this rookie in preseason. Playing alongside Vilma and Barton will only help this kid in terms of progression, and working with Mangini, who knows... We may have 2 players that give the Defensive ROY award a run for it's money in Revis and Harris. Quality over Quanity when it comes to drafting players... This year, we drafted Quality.

Bender may be playing out of postion but at the same time guards need to push the D-Line back and actually create running lanes for our Running backs. Last season P.Kendall was getting dominated by the larger DT's in the NFL and in my eyes was actually getting thrown to the ground and pushed back more than the other way around. Guards need to push the pile, open up running lanes, and simply be aggressive... When it comes to Bender, this kid is strong, physical, and actually loves the aspect of run blocking in the trenches while laying a good licking on a defensive player thats in his way... In my eyes, he can do no worse than P.Kendall and if he actually works out this season, it looks like we may not be in that much drouble afterall.

Still in the offseason, through the draft, FA, Trade, we really need to address the O-Line, but Bender may beable to do a little bit more than just "Hold his own"

You know what? This is the first time in a long time where as a fan Im really feeling that we can be a tough unit in terms of stoping the run. Last season was our first year running the 3-4 scheme under Mangini with KIMO as our starting DE, with players such as Ellis, Robertson, and Vilma who were use to being in the 4-3 under Herm. This year our front 7 should be alot better in getting after the ball carrier for the simple fact they had a full season under Manginis 3-4 Style of attack, a full offseason to learn how the 3-4 should be played... "The Right Way" and also the addition of D.Harris should really benefit players such as Vilma, Hobson, Barton, Thomas, Ellis, Robertson, and any player who will replace Kimo should honestly be an upgrade.

Come week 2 when we play the Ravens and the "Jet Killer himself" in Willis McGahaee, then as fans we can actually get a real chance to study our run defense when it comes to stopping the run. This season we have a solid secondary which should also help us to atleast contain the run game.

Well, I was never to high on Manny Collins and if you ask me, he just may be getting cut... But at the same time, I never really payed to much attention to Collins in the offseason or even in the preseason. So I guess I have to say... No Comment"

" Can LB David Harris keep it up?

Yes. Harris was made for the 3-4 defense and he continues to make plays that Jonathan Vilma is not. The Jets won't be able to keep him out of the lineup too much longer. The question is, will Vilma or Eric Barton sit? "

What is he talking about? According to the depth chart it will be Thomas,Vilma,Harris,Barton. Actually Barton is behind Bowens at OLB,which must be a misprint.

Not to mention, we play all different formations, we even go into a 4-3 look with B Thomas as a standup DE. Hobson comes in to Blitz, sometimes they have 5 DB's on the field. ...etc you get the point. That was a dumb question.

My question would be. Can Vilma stop this BS and step up so we could have an '86 Giants type LBing group out there.

The 2 keys to this 3-4 is:1. Bryan Thomas playing like LT and Derrick Thomas.

2. D-Rob picking up where he left off last year and beyond.

Then we got something.

This is an oddly-phrased question. I don't see how Clemens could any more heat on Chad than he already has; he's relegated to practice until further notice. Like Jetcane said, it's all up to Chad now. The real question is: will Chad play well enough during the Jets' brutal first-half schedule to keep the starting job?

Absolutely. Harris is a stud in the making and an absolute steal in the 2nd round. He's going to become the leader and centerpiece of this defense within 2 years.

No; it's not a matter of Bender "bouncing back," it's a matter of him simply learning the position. Look for a lot of smoke-and-mirrors from Schottenheimer to protect Chad's blind side on the 9th.

The addition of Coleman and Harris should be an improvement, but I don't see the Jets turning into the Ravens anytime soon. Hopefully they can keep opposing offenses in 3rd and long situations--which, with the addition of Revis, should be more manageable than before.

Meh. He got abused vs. the Giants and will probably make the PS at best.

Bryan Thomas playing like one of the best LB's to ever play the game? Yea... Ok...

I believe you know what I meant. I threw in another great player as well, Derrick Thomas.

But, I'll re-phrase that for you:

Bryon Thomas being a threat to get to the QB, so much so that it alters the other team's gameplan because they always have to keep an eye on him.

or simply

Bryon Thomas recording 10 sacks or more.

I don't know what it is, but whenever you compare someone's type of play to the Best, they get bent out of shape. I don't know any players that were "almost as good as" (blank). I only know the top guys.

No. Heating oil is going to be through the roof this winter and Chad has to save as much money as he can since this will be his final season as a NYJ. So he cant afford to have Clemens screwing around with the thermostat.

I sure hope so... he is only 23. But if he becomes a stud... he could always use a little help from the little blue pill...

no. we're f**ked.

No. They will be stuck in traffic due to the new parking situation. Plus they heard JoeBaby throws an awesome tailgate... emphasis on tail...

He sucked. He is way over his head and is lucky Rutgers had success last year. otherwise he would have been cut the first week. Plus he gives the coaching staff hummers after every practice. The good kind, not the gas-guzzling, global warming ones....

Archived