Mangini says he hasn't made decision on Pennington's availability

ECURB

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3019933

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The thick, black wrap that covered Chad Pennington's right ankle earlier in the week was gone Friday. The New York Jets quarterback's limp was still there, but less pronounced than it had been.

Pennington's injured right ankle appeared to be a lot better Friday as he dropped back and threw light passes while the Jets prepared for their game Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens. He had a less noticeable white wrap around the ankle and was listed as questionable on the injury report.

Despite published reports that the Jets had already decided on starting backup Kellen Clemens, coach Eric Mangini insisted that hadn't been determined.

"I'll make a decision once all the information's in," Mangini said before Friday's practice.

Check out John Clayton for the latest news on injuries going into Week 2 of the 2007 NFL season. Injury report in.gif

While it would seem unlikely the Jets would play a hobbled Pennington against one of the league's toughest defenses, the team might still be considering the possibility. "We have today and we're going to look at today," Mangini said. "Chad's moving along in his rehab. Each day, we evaluate it, so we'll look at it today and see his progress. The program has been in place. He's Chad. He's as diligent as ever, whether it's this, studying the playbook, whatever the case may be. We'll see how that goes."

Clemens could still be in line to make his first NFL start, but offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer thought Pennington looked good in practice Friday.

"I wouldn't rule him out," Schottenheimer said. "I think that's something we'll discuss [saturday] and see ultimately how Eric wants to go."

Pennington injured the ankle when he was sacked by Jarvis Green during the third quarter of the Jets' 38-14 loss to the New England Patriots. He missed one play, but came back on New York's next series and led the Jets to a touchdown before pulling himself out of the game late in the fourth quarter.

"He's an extremely tough guy," Schottenheimer said. "That's one thing I've always respected about the guy. What he did going out there when he came back into the game and driving us down the field, that says something to the young man's character. He won a lot more respect from me, and my respect for him was already pretty high."

It might increase even more if Pennington can play against Baltimore.

"Whoever ends up starting for us, the Ravens are a terrific defense," Schottenheimer said. "It'll be quite a task for us, but our guys have had a good week of practice and are looking forward to the challenge."

We will start Clemens and we will lose, badly.

Then Chad will come back and lead this team to the playoffs. If Chad plays Sunday we would have a much better chance but his injury isnt worth the risk, he is our only hope of doing anything this season.

That will be proved tommorow.

If Chad plays Sunday we would have a much better chance but his injury isnt worth the risk, he is our only hope of doing anything this season.

No he's not, and that was proven last Sunday. Chad performed great, we still lost badly. We need to improve our play in the trenches or we won't beat anyone, including a strong Ravens defense. QB was supposed to be our biggest question mark this offseason, but now that falls on the OL and DL.

We will start Clemens and we will lose, badly.

Well I guess there's no need to watch the game then, heh? :rolleyes:

I'm amazed at all the pessimism going on here. we sucked on opening day, it's not the end of the world. geeez.

Then Chad will come back and lead this team to the playoffs. If Chad plays Sunday we would have a much better chance but his injury isnt worth the risk, he is our only hope of doing anything this season.

That will be proved tommorow.

If we had a moronic coaching staff like the last time we played the Ravens, I would believe you.

Not this time. expect the unexpected that will keep the Ravens off balance in a low scoring game.

I like our chances tomorrow regardless of who's at QB.

No he's not, and that was proven last Sunday. Chad performed great, we still lost badly. We need to improve our play in the trenches or we won't beat anyone, including a strong Ravens defense. QB was supposed to be our biggest question mark this offseason, but now that falls on the OL and DL.

I know that but if we have any chance to do anything this year it will be with Chad and not Clemens.

Thats what I was saying.:confused:

Well I guess there's no need to watch the game then, heh? :rolleyes:

I'm amazed at all the pessimism going on here. we sucked on opening day, it's not the end of the world. geeez.

If we had a moronic coaching staff like the last time we played the Ravens, I would believe you.

Not this time. expect the unexpected that will keep the Ravens off balance in a low scoring game.

I like our chances tomorrow regardless of who's at QB.

I agree with you that if we treat Kellen like Brooks Bollinger, then we will be embarrased. Im normally really optimistic about the Jets, I have picked us for the playoffs (pre-season) for the last 3 years including this season and you have no idea how much that I hope I'm wrong.

I just really really think our offence will be destroyed in all areas tommorows. There is not one matchup I like.

Kellen fans are going to get a serious reality check come tommorow IMHO, this is an unbelievable step up from anything he's ever faced before.

I know that but if we have any chance to do anything this year it will be with Chad and not Clemens.

Thats what I was saying.:confused:

I disagree. I feel we have little chance of success this year REGARDLESS of who our QB is because of out multitude of OTHER issues on both sides of the ball.

Kellen fans are going to get a serious reality check come tommorow IMHO, this is an unbelievable step up from anything he's ever faced before.

I don't disagree. But I also refuse to say that, if Clemens has an awful day, that the Pennington contingent was "right" about Clemens. This is his first NFL start, and it will be against a top 10 defense. I am not expecting immediate success.

Archived