Mason is Jets' next target

Smizzy

Mason is Jets' next target

BY KEN BERGER

STAFF WRITER

March 1, 2005

With the Jets' hopes of reacquiring receiver Laveranues Coles from the Redskins barely alive yesterday, the team is preparing to focus attention on free-agent Derrick Mason, a person with knowledge of the situation said yesterday.

At the same time, despite reports of the Coles-for-Santana Moss trade being off the table, the same knowledgeable person said, "I would not kill it. I wouldn't say it's dead. I would say it still has a pulse."

But with the free-agent and trading period set to begin tomorrow, the Jets are making contingency plans. Mason, the best free-agent receiver still available, is "definitely a good name," said the source, who is familiar with the club's free-agent strategy as it continues to unfold at the Indianapolis scouting combine.

The Jets' revived interest in Mason shows how quickly things can change in NFL free agency. When it appeared the Jets had all but completed the Moss-for-Coles trade Friday, one team official was lukewarm when asked about Mason. Though Mason led all wide receivers with 96 catches for the Titans last season, most scouts would agree there's a dropoff from Coles to Mason. The .Giants are interested in Mason, who reportedly has talked to the Jaguars and Ravens.

Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot also is believed to have emerged as an option for the Jets, who quietly are looking for a dramatic upgrade to their secondary when the free-agent period begins tomorrow.

A second person familiar with the Redskins' thinking from conversations with team officials said yesterday that the cornerback position is paramount in the snagged talks to trade Coles for Moss. The Redskins cannot find the salary-cap space to trade Coles and sign free-agent cornerback Samari Rolle, the person said.

Coles also scuttled the trade by requesting a new contract as part of the deal. He's due a $5-million bonus payment April 1.

Whether the Jets acquire Coles or not, it's possible Moss has played his last game as a Jet. It could be difficult for Moss to return after being shopped so aggressively. Agent Drew Rosenhaus is adamant about keeping Moss from playing out the final year of his contract without an extension. Rosenhaus did not return a telephone call yesterday.

Notes & quotes: In a mild surprise, a person close to QB Jay Fiedler said the Jets are not expected to aggressively pursue the former Dolphin. Another option to back up Chad Pennington could be Brad Johnson, who will be released by the Bucs ... The Jets remain optimistic they can re-sign NT Jason Ferguson, but are wary that the Cowboys will get involved tomorrow. Ferguson's agent, Jimmy Sexton, also represents Dallas coach Bill Parcells ... S Reggie Tongue, due a $400,000 roster bonus today, is still expected to be released.

Well damn right he should be and unlike many I still believe we have a legit shot to land this guy. It has to be appealing to him that we have his former team-mate in JMac and his former OC Dinger to along with him.

For 2005 Mason, Moss, McCareins is a slam dunk.

After that.....

By all means give 30 million, 12 of it guaranteed to a 31 y.o. WR.

Smoot's a better target for you guys.

Smoot would also want MORE money then Mason will, mark it down.

Smoot also turns 26 in April, and CB is a bigger need than WR for you guys.

True, true, but there is no way we should break the bank for Fred Smoot when at #26 we can go out there and probably end up with Justin Miller or Brandon Browner.

True, true, but there is no way we should break the bank for Fred Smoot when at #26 we can go out there and probably end up with Justin Miller or Brandon Browner.

You're better off breaking the bank for a 26 y.o. Smoot than a 31 y.o. Mason.

Would adding Smoot AND Miller actually be a bad thing?

and there are liable to be plenty of other good non-CB picks at 26.... some of the tackles, Clayton, Williamson....

You're better off breaking the bank for a 26 y.o. Smoot than a 31 y.o. Mason.

Would adding Smoot AND Miller actually be a bad thing?

and there are liable to be plenty of other good non-CB picks at 26.... some of the tackles, Clayton, Williamson....

I'd take Smoot and pick without a second thought. I'm not crazy about Mason, and would rather go with TJ Hous-a-ma-call-it, mostly due to age. Mason is a nice player, but not for big cash.

Archived