Jets Articles- 10/9- Newsday

Kentucky Jet

Jones wants to be Jets' feature running back

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

October 9, 2007

Thomas Jones said he spent most of the second half and the critical fourth quarter Sunday wondering if the Jets were going to be able to pull out a victory. He wound up doing very little to influence the outcome.

The burly running back for whom the Jets traded in the offseason and signed to a $20-million contract was nearly as much a spectator as the 78,809 in the Giants Stadium seats. In fact, he may have had more in common with those who left early to beat the traffic.

Jones had only three carries in the second half, and after his 4-yard gain on the first play of the fourth quarter, he never touched the football again. Mind you, the Jets led for most of the second half.

That paucity of plays follows last week's game against the Bills in which Jones had 12 total carries, one in the fourth quarter. That, too, was a one-possession game for most of the second half.

Consider it this way: The Jets opened their preseason and gave Jones seven carries in the first quarter of a meaningless game. In the past two fourth quarters of very meaningful games, he's had two carries.

"Most feature backs in this league, they get the ball 20 or 25 times a game," Jones said yesterday in his first public comments since Sunday's 35-24 loss. "Just by you getting the ball that many times, you get a feel for what the defense is doing and you can get a feel for how the offensive line is blocking. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to do that the last couple of weeks."

Jones was brought to New York to be the feature back. So far, all he's done is get paid like one. For most of this season, at least late in games when victories hinge in the balance, he's been little more than an extra.

Jones thought he and his offensive teammates had found a rhythm when he ran for 108 yards on 25 carries against the Dolphins. Since then, however, he has practically disappeared.

"My job is not to call the plays. My job is not to set the game plan for the week. My job is to play my role in the game," he said.

Later, when asked about his lack of involvement in passing plays (Leon Washington has 12 receptions and seems to play more when the Jets are in throwing mode), Jones again sidestepped a direct call-out of the play-calling.

"I don't have the answers for those types of questions," he said. "I'm a capable back. I can do pretty much everything you'd want out of a back, running the ball, catching the ball. But like I said, that's not something I can answer."

Jets coach Eric Mangini said the circumstances have not aligned for Jones to take over a game yet. "It's not a function of trying to move away from him," the coach said. "You're always looking to be balanced offensively ... Some of the situations we've been in here earlier dictated that you had to go to more of a passing type of attack."

Through five games, the Jets have thrown 165 passes and run the ball 128 times. That passing attack has led to seven interceptions, five of them in the critical fourth quarters.

The numbers on the Jets' running game aren't much better. They average 77 yards per game, 29th in the NFL. They are tied for last with 3.0 yards per carry. They have two rushing touchdowns on the season, one of them a quarterback draw. Their longest running play in five games is for 12 yards, again the lowest in the NFL.

Jones has had 88 carries for 290 yards, an average of 3.3 yards per carry. He had a career average of 4.0 yards per carry entering the season.

But with a proven back like Jones, who is coming off back-to-back 1,200-yard seasons, sometimes patience is the best plan.

"With the running game, sometimes it's not going to be pretty," Jones said. "It might be ugly for a while and then all of a sudden, it pops."

Sunday

Eagles

at Jets

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 5

Radio: WABC (770), WEPN (1050), WRCN (103.9)

More articles

Jet offense lurches into predictability

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, October 9th 2007, 4:00 AM

Several Giant players said on Sunday Eric Mangini's offense is predictable, partially because Thomas Jones (below) has not gotten off to a good start.

The Jets have problems on offense, starting with a potential quarterback controversy and a $5 million-a-year running back who is producing Barlow-esque numbers. But, wait, it gets worse.

Now people are suggesting the Jets' offense, hailed last season for its innovative approach, is predictable. At least that was the postgame buzz Sunday from the Giants' locker room, prompting a roll-of-the-eyes response yesterday from Eric Mangini.

"I know that, usually after you win a game, you have a lot of great keys and great things that you did," Mangini said sarcastically. "Pretty typical. You know where they're running and throwing and you know everything."

After the Giants' 35-24 victory, linebacker Antonio Pierce and cornerback Sam Madison said they were able to figure out some of the Jets' plays. Have they been attending the Bill Belichick film school?

Madison, who made the first of Big Blue's three interceptions, said the Giants' defensive backs jumped pass routes because of Chad Pennington's suspect arm strength. Pierce said he deciphered some of Pennington's verbal signals in no-huddle situations, which allowed him to adjust the defense.

It worked. And the Jets knew it was happening.

"He didn't do it throughout the entire game, but the couple of times he did it, they were good plays," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said, smiling. "We switched it up, but there were a couple of times when I did notice it. He knew where we were going."

The most glaring example came in the second quarter, when Justin Tuck dropped Leon Washington for a 5-yard loss. Moments before the snap, Pierce, apparently recognizing a signal from Pennington, told Tuck to slide to his left. Sure enough, he was in perfect position to make the play.

Once again, Mangini responded with sarcasm, explaining the offense changes its calls (and dummy calls) so often that sometimes he gets confused on the practice field.

"So if it's changing enough to where I could be potentially fooled, I'd like to think that ... but maybe he's got a better bead on it than I do," Mangini said.

On the next play, after Tuck's tackle, Madison seemed to know exactly where Pennington was throwing. He vacated his zone in the left flat and made a beeline toward the middle of the field, stepping in front of Cotchery for an interception. It was an uncanny play by Madison (too uncanny?), who said he attacked the route because Pennington throws a "light ball."

This isn't high-tech espionage - it's not another SpyGate - but this small sample shows that opponents might be hip to the Jets' tendencies. That may explain why the running game is virtually nonexistent. Thomas Jones, who was supposed to be the cure for the ailing ground game, has rushed for only 290 yards and a 3.3 per-carry average, slightly better than Kevan Barlow's historically bad 2.7 mark from last season.

"(The Giants) did a good job of figuring out what we were doing with formations and things like that," said Jones, who managed only 36 yards on 13 carries.

Indeed, the Jets were predictable. When Jones and fullback Darian Barnes were paired in the same backfield, it usually meant a running play. (Eight of Jones' 13 runs came in a two-back set.) CBS analyst Randy Cross said during the telecast that, in the first four games, the Jets ran on 68 out of the 71 plays in which the back lined up eight yards deep.

A year ago, coordinator Brian Schottenheimer did wonders with the offense, confusing opponents with his clever play-calling and myriad formations. The Jets were successful with a couple of gadget runs early in Sunday's game, but they finished with only 55 yards on the ground.

Asked to explain the problems, Jones said, "We've had some miscommunications on a lot of different plays."

Evidently, the Giants had no problem intercepting the Jets' communications - and Pennington.

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, October 9th 2007, 4:00 AM

Thomas Jones can't be happy about his limited role in the Jets' offense, but he did a good job of masking his feelings yesterday.

"I'm here to play football," he said. "As far as the number of carries the past couple of weeks, that's up to the coaches."

Jones rushed 13 times for 36 yards in Sunday's 35-24 loss to the Giants, with only three carries in the second half. The Jets abandoned the run late in the game, passing on 12 of their first 15 plays in the fourth quarter, when it still was a close game. Leon Washington, the third-down back, received most of the playing time in that stretch.

"Most feature backs in this league get the ball 20 to 25 times a game," Jones said. "You can get a feel for what the defense is doing and you can get a feel for how the offensive line is blocking. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to do that the past couple of weeks."

The Jets lauded Jones' pass-catching ability when they acquired him from the Bears, but he usually comes out on passing downs. Asked if he's surprised he isn't getting more opportunities in that role, Jones said, "That's something you'd want to ask the coaches."

Eric Mangini, explaining Jones' role, said everything is dictated by game plan and situation.

NOWHERE TO 'HYDE': Mangini, relating his message to the team, stressed "the need to play a complete game," saying they must eliminate the "Jekyll and Hyde approach."

The coach faces a tough challenge, starting Sunday against the Eagles (1-3). The players still were stinging from Sunday's loss, in which they blew a 10-point lead.

"(The mood) ain't good," WR Laveranues Coles said. "If you care about the game, you're definitely not going to be in a good mood. You try to smile to shield the pain, but it hurts because we know we're better than this."

Said S Kerry Rhodes: "It's kind of disheartening because we know the team we can be."

Pattern of collapses points to inconsistency

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Coach Eric Mangini's rallying cry yesterday was "consistency" as he tries to get his team out of a 1-4 hole. His quarterback, he reaffirmed, is Chad Pennington.

"There's too much of one quarter of good football, one half of good football, or one series of good football and then some kind of lapse," Mangini said. "And having the Jekyll-and-Hyde approach that we've had is not going to give us the results that we're all looking for.

"It's got to be consistent with the play calling and with the game planning across the board. We all need to be more consistent on Sundays."

The Jets, who were in a downcast mood yesterday, played a solid two quarters of football against the Giants, building a 17-7 halftime lead before a second-half meltdown resulted in a 35-24 loss.

It's a pattern that has repeated itself throughout the season: The Jets had a strong first half against the Patriots in the opener. They rallied late against the Ravens. They played three solid quarters against the Dolphins before holding on at the end for their only victory.

"From week to week, we're starting out fast and ending slow or starting out slow and ending fast," LB Victor Hobson said. "We're doing it to ourselves. We're going to keep our heads up and work hard and try to come out with a pace we can maintain for four quarters."

Said S Kerry Rhodes: "We can always talk about how we need to be more consistent, but until we do it, it's going to be the same thing every week."

Asked if that's simply who the Jets are, Mangini said, "There's not one player here -- or coach -- that I don't have complete faith in."

The Jets defense continues to get run on in big spots as the Giants opened the second half with a six-play, 80-yard drive on which QB Eli Manning threw only one pass, a 33-yarder to Plaxico Burress. The drive set the tone for the second half as the Giants finished with 188 yards rushing and two TDs on 39 carries, an impressive 4.8-yard average per carry.

"It was like they went back to the basics," Hobson said. "They went back to what they do, which is running the ball and playing hard-nose football. We understood that. We knew that's what they were about. ... We have another physical game coming up (vs. the Eagles). We have to be ready for it and make sure we match their intensity."

WR/QB/special-teamer Brad Smith had a busy day against the Giants. He had three catches for 44 yards, including a 16-yard touchdown, one kickoff return for 27 yards, one special-teams tackle, and two snaps at quarterback.... KR Leon Washington, subbing for injured Pro Bowler Justin Miller, leads the NFL in kickoff returns, averaging 36.2 yards with two TDs.... The Eagles (1-3) are getting healthy coming off their bye week with RB Brian Westbrook (abdomen), CB Lito Sheppard (knee), TE L.J. Smith (groin) and T William Thomas (knee) all expected to play against the Jets. S Brian Dawkins (neck) isn't expected to play.

NO SECOND EFFORT

October 9, 2007 -- QUARTERBACKS D

Chad Pennington (21-36, 229 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs, 51.7 rating) threw three debilitating picks that cost the Jets the game. He was effective between the 20s, but led the Jets into the end zone only once.

RUNNING BACKS F

Thomas Jones (13-36 rushing, 2-14 re ceiving) was again a non-factor. Leon Washington (9-13, 1 for -1) continues to struggle on offense.

WIDE RECEIVERS C+

Laveranues Coles (8-89) made a couple of spectacular catches. Brad Smith (3-44, TD receiving) made a couple of big catches, including his first NFL TD.

TIGHT ENDS C+

Chris Baker had three catches for 52 yards, though his and Sean Ryan's run blocking wasn't enough.

OFFENSIVE LINE C

Pennington was sacked only once, reflect ing how well LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, RT Anthony Clement and the rest blocked against a Giants defense that had 12 sacks last week. Run blocking continues to be a problem (2.2 yards per carry).

DEFENSIVE LINE D

DE Kenyon Coleman had five tackles, DE Shaun Ellis and NT Dewayne Robertson had three each. There continues to be not enough pass rush.

LINEBACKERS D+

Jonathan Vilma had four tackles, an INT and a bad offside penalty. Victor Hobson had six tackles and two QB hurries. Eric Barton (six tackles) helped force a fumble on Giants' RB Brandon Jacobs. Good job against the run early; poor run tackling in the second half.

SECONDARY C

S Kerry Rhodes, with nine tackles, got the team off to a good start forcing Jacobs' fum ble as Barton held him up. S Eric Smith had seven tackles replacing injured Erik Coleman. CB Andre Dyson missed the tackle on a Plaxico Bur ress' TD and had an illegal contact penalty.

SPECIAL TEAMS B+

Washington had a 98-yard kickoff return for a TD, his second of the season, and av eraged 51.7 yards on three returns and 10 yards on two punt returns. Smith had a 27-yard kick off return.

KICKING GAME C+

K Mike Nugent missed a 42-yard FG and made a 47-yarder. P Ben Graham averaged 45.3 yards gross and 41.3 yards net on four punts, with two inside the 20.

COACHING D

Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton must figure out what happened in the second half. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has seemingly been figured out on some calls. Sev eral times, Giants players recognized Pennington audibles and made big plays.

JET TOGETHER

INCONSISTENCY HOLDS GANG GREEN BACK

By MARK CANNIZZARO

ON THE FLY: Chad Pennington lets loose with a pass under pressure from the Giants' Michael Strahan during the fourth quarter of the Jets' 35-24 loss Sunday at Giants Stadium.October 9, 2007 -- Consistency is the watchword right now for the Jets, who after Sunday's maddening 35-24 loss to the Giants stand at 1-4 with their season teetering on the brink of garbage time.

The cynic would say the Jets have, indeed, been consistent - consistently bad.

But it's not that simple, as evidenced by the Giants game, a microcosm of sorts for the Jets' season in that there were spurts of brilliance mixed in with too many moments of bad football.

The Jets were a touchdown away from "taking the life out of" the Giants, Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. But then Chad Pennington threw a crucial fourth-quarter interception near the Giants' end zone with the Jets leading 24-21 and 12 minutes remaining in the game.

Yet critical mistakes, including the failure to run the ball, the failure to stop the Giants' running game, poor tackling and Pennington's three interceptions left the Jets scratching their heads as they drove back to Long Island bewildered.

"I have no answer for it; I don't know what it is," Cotchery said. "We're just not consistent on offense."

The offense is not alone. The defense has hardly been consistent, either.

"Talking to the team (yesterday) morning, one thing that we talked about was the need to play a complete game," Eric Mangini said. "There's too much of one quarter of good football, one half of good football, or one series of good football and then some kind of lapse. And having the Jekyll and Hyde approach that we've had is not going to give us the results that we're all looking for.

"You can't have the really good football, the really smart football interrupted by plays that aren't very well executed, that aren't very smart, and that goes to the coaching as well. It's got to be consistent with the play calling and with the game planning across the board.

"We all need to be more complete on Sundays. I really like the way that these guys work and the way that they care about each other, and the approach and the execution has just got to be the same throughout the whole course of the game."

A list of positive plays was read off to Jets safety Kerry Rhodes and he was asked how he processed the loss in his head. His answer: It comes down to consistency. For example, Rhodes got the Jets off to a great start in the game with a forced fumble he recovered and returned for a touchdown and an early 7-0 lead.

Later in the game, though, Rhodes gave up a touchdown pass to Jeremy Shockey and was a part of the defense that was shredded by the Giants in the second half.

"Consistency is the big word, the key word right now," Rhodes said. "In the first half we showed the kind of team we can be: (We) played pretty good defense, made some plays on offense. And then we came into second half and things didn't work out the way we wanted them to.

"It's kind of disheartening in that we know the team we can be. We can play good for one half or one quarter. We've got to try to string it all together. I know you're tired of hearing it. We're tired of hearing it."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

COLES: BLAME ME FOR LATEST LOSS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

October 9, 2007 -- Laveranues Coles, who takes his Jets captaincy very seriously, stood in the middle of the Jets locker room yesterday in the aftermath of their 35-24 loss to the Giants and accepted blame for everything from the inconsistent offense and defense to the flat beer and stale pretzels sold by the Giants Stadium vendors.

"Point the finger at me," Coles said. "Any time something is not right with the offense, it's my fault. Blame me, because it's left up to me to make plays and help this team win games and evidently I haven't done enough to put us in position to win, so it's on me.

"Point the finger at me. I want to help this team win."

Two Jets had bittersweet moments in the loss.

Safety Kerry Rhodes, who stripped Giants RB Brandon Jacobs of the ball, recovered it and ran it in 11 yards for a touchdown - the first of his career - to give the Jets a 7-0 lead.

Later, WR Brad Smith caught a pass from Chad Pennington for a 16-yard TD - the first of his career - to give the Jets a 14-7 lead.

Both Rhodes and Smith kept the footballs after their scores.

"It was OK at the time, but it didn't end up being as big a play as we wanted it to be," Rhodes said yesterday. "Kind of bittersweet."

Eric Mangini passed off a couple of comments that were relayed to him from the Giants' locker room after the game.

On Giants CB Sam Madison saying that Pennington throws a soft ball, which is why he was able to jump the route and make his interception:

"You'd have to talk to Sam a little bit more about that," Mangini said. "I know that usually after you win a game you have a lot of great keys and great things that you did. Pretty typical. You know where (the other team) was running and throwing and you know everything."

On Giants LB Antonio Pierce making a couple of defensive audibles off of Pennington's calls at the line of scrimmage and putting the Giants' defense in perfect positions to make plays.

"We do quite a bit of signals that mean something and signals that mean nothing," Mangini said. "There are some times in practice where they make a signal and I'll turn to (Brian) Schottenheimer and say, 'What play is that?' He'll say, 'No, no, that's the dummy call.' So if it's changing enough to where I could potentially be fooled at practice I'd like to think that . . . but maybe (Pierce) has got a better beat on it than I do."

SPORTS

Jets' Jones ready to go to work

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Thomas Jones sounded as if he were reading from his job resume, under the Qualifications heading.

"I'm a capable back," the eighth-year veteran said Monday when asked if he is a good receiver. "I can pretty much do everything you'd want out of a back, catching the ball, running the ball."

Jets' coaches, are you listening? One can't help but wonder if they need a reminder, considering that a running back who has rushed for 2,545 yards over the past two seasons has carried the ball only 25 times over the past two games. Jones averaged 19.7 carries per game for Chicago over the past two seasons.

Yet Jones, who didn't talk to reporters after the Jets' 35-24 loss to the Giants on Sunday, made it clear Monday that he hasn't complained to the Jets' coaching staff about his light workload.

"I'm here to play football," he said. "As far as the number of carries that I've had the past couple of weeks, that's a decision that's up to the coaches and the game plan. I try to take advantage of the opportunities that I have.

GREEN MACHINE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Football writer J.P. Pelzman tackles all the behind-the-scenes stories about your New York Jets.

Visit the blog

Listen to The Record SportsCast

"I have a good relationship with the coaches," he added. "I'm here to play and my job is not to call plays or set the game plan for the week. My job is to play my role in the game. You never know how the game is going to unfold. Some games you may have to run the ball and some games you have to throw the ball to win. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get a lot of carries over the past couple of weeks, but we are working on trying to correct the running game."

There's plenty to be fixed. Jones had 36 yards on 13 carries against the Giants and the Jets managed 2.2 yards per carry as a team. The Jets are 29th in the NFL in rushing yards per game with 77.0, and 31st in average per carry at 3.0. The Jets averaged 3.5 per carry last season with a committee system, and Jones was supposed to improve those anemic numbers.

"We're trying to develop a chemistry as far as the running game is concerned," Jones said. "We're working hard every week to get to where we need to be."

Jones has 290 yards on 88 carries, a 3.3 yard average. At that pace, he would finish with 928 yards. Backup Leon Washington has fared even worse, with a 2.9-yard average on 24 carries. While the Jets' offensive line did an excellent job pass protecting against the Giants, there were several missed blocks that hampered the running game.

"It's never one thing each week or one thing all the time," fullback Darian Barnes said when asked what the problem might be. "We really have to start jelling as a unit, because running the football isn't just the linemen blocking or me lead blocking, it's the wide receivers blocking, too. It's everybody. It's really a team effort."

"We're confident as an offense [Jones] will be used," Jerricho Cotchery said. "I know he's a very competitive guy and I know he doesn't enjoy not contributing to the team."

Said Jones, "Everything will play itself out. ... At least I know that once I go into a game, I am prepared and ready to do what I need to do to help us win."

BRIEFS: Coach Eric Mangini reiterated that Chad Pennington still is his starting quarterback despite throwing five interceptions in his last five quarters of play. When asked about the vertical element that backup Kellen Clemens could bring to the passing game, Mangini avoided the question. ... Eagles RB Brian Westbrook (abdomen) practiced Monday, hoping Sunday is his first game since Sept. 23.

Jones forgotten in Jets' game plan

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 9, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - The Jets acquired Thomas Jones from the Bears to be their featured running back, the successor to Curtis Martin. Except, for the second straight week, he seemed an afterthought in the game plan, particularly in the second half.

Jones carried 13 times for 36 yards in Sunday's come-from-ahead 35-24 loss to the Giants, including just three second-half rushes. In the previous week's 17-14 loss at Buffalo, a team that entered last night's game ranked last in the league in defense, Jones had 12 carries for 35 yards.

"Most featured backs in this league, they get the ball 20-25 times a game. And just by you getting the ball that many times, you can get a feel for what the defense is doing and you can get a feel for how the offensive line is blocking," Jones said. "Unfortunately, we haven't been able to do that the past couple of weeks."

Overall, Jones has 290 rushing yards, a 3.3 yards-per-carry average and no touchdowns. Which is why as the Jets (1-4) head into Sunday's home game against the Eagles, Jones is still talking about developing chemistry in the running game.

"As far as the number of carries I've had the past couple of weeks, that's a decision that's up to the coaches and the game plan," said Jones, who had 25 carries for 110 yards in the Jets' 31-28 win over the Dolphins in Week 3. "I have a great relationship with the coaches. My job is not to call the plays. My job is not to set the game plan for the week. My job is to play my role in the game, and you never know how the game is going to unfold."

So as the Jets sifted through the rubble of another loss yesterday, the offensive struggles were again the main topic. Chad Pennington's status as the starting quarterback again had to be confirmed by coach Eric Mangini.

Still, there are questions as to whether defenses are taking liberties, particularly defensive backs jumping the receivers' routes for interceptions because they don't respect Pennington's arm strength.

And, just like last season, there's little balance to the Jets' offense right now without a strong running game.

"No matter how many times you run, or who runs or what we do, it's a game plan," fullback Darian Barnes said. "Whatever we're presented with, this is what we're going to do to beat this team. As players, we have to implement it. Thomas is a great back and, obviously, he's capable of running the ball 40 times a game if necessary. But we have a lot of great players. We want to spread the ball out, get the ball to everyone."

The Jets, who led the Giants 24-14 after Leon Washington's 98-yard kickoff return in the third quarter, ran just three plays from scrimmage in the quarter, and Jones was handed the ball on two of them. But in the fourth quarter, the Jets went to more of a passing package that featured Washington, not Jones.

Jones has nine catches for 61 yards this season, including two against the Giants, after averaging 39.3 catches in his three seasons with the Bears.

So why not keep Jones on the field? After all, the Jets did swap second-round picks to acquire him and signed him to a four-year deal worth $20 million.

"That's something you might want to ask the coaches," Jones said. "That's not my call. I don't have the answers to those type of questions. I'm a capable back. I can do pretty much everything, if you want a back running the ball, catching the ball."

Note: Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery acknowledged that Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce knew some of the plays based on Pennington's signals, a hazard in a no-huddle offense. "We know teams are going to try and listen, and we have things that can switch it up," Cotchery said. "He caught on a little early, which was great, but we switched it up." The most noticeable play came in the second quarter when Pierce moved his teammates around and Washington was stopped for a 5-yard loss. ... The plain, navy blue helmets the Jets will use as part of their New York Titans' throwback uniforms Sunday against the Eagles were distributed around the locker room yesterday. The blue-and-gold jerseys will be unveiled today at noon at the Delta Lounge in Manhattan with Washington and center Nick Mangold serving as models.

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets' blog at www.jets.lohudblogs.com.

Archived