NY Jets news articles- 10/27 -Bills going down!

Kentucky Jet

NY POST

PICKING IT UP

JETS' REVIS: BRING ON THE BILLS

By BART HUBBUCH

HOLT ON: Bengals WR Glenn Holt (right) was given a catch onOctober 27, 2007 -- Jets rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis got a dose of cold comfort from the NFL this week.

It won't change the outcome, of course, but the league's director of officiating told the NFL Network on Wednesday that Revis should have been credited with his first career interception in last week's 38-31 loss to the Bengals.

After reviewing the key fourth-quarter play that was ruled a simultaneous catch by Revis and Cincinnati's Glenn Holt, thereby giving the ball to the Bengals and leading to a touchdown, NFL referee boss Mike Pereira said, "I really do like it as an interception, as opposed to a simultaneous catch."

Revis smiled at hearing that yesterday, mainly because it was one of the few times the first-round pick from Pittsburgh has felt like somebody was on his side this season.

Those lonely feelings, which Revis admitted are a fact of life for NFL cornerbacks, only figure to be heightened tomorrow by the 1-6 Jets' matchup with 2-4 Buffalo at Giants Stadium.

It was the Bills, remember, who all but put a bull's-eye on Revis' back during a 17-14 win in Buffalo last month. Nearly half of quarterback Trent Edwards' 22 completions that day went to receivers assigned to Revis.

"They went after me in the game," Revis said yesterday. "Looking back at the film of that game, I could have made a couple of those plays. You just have to have a short memory."

Revis, the Jets' first opening-day rookie starter at cornerback in 11 years, could use a case of total amnesia after last week's personal nightmare against the Bengals. Not only did referee Tony Corrente's crew take away his apparent interception with 8:29 left, but Revis also was tagged for interference on two Cincinnati touchdown drives in the second half.

"It's just part of the transition to the NFL," Revis said of the two flags. "The second one, I just didn't turn and look for the ball. If I was in college, it probably wouldn't have been called."

Despite Revis' growing pains, the Jets say they haven't lost any confidence in him.

"What I like with him is the constant attention to detail," Eric Mangini said. "As things come up, as he learns or experiences things in the game, he builds on those experiences."

Revis is considered one of the Jets' most physical defenders, willing to take on the run as well as mix it up with receivers. He leads the team in tackles and has started every game.

Revis is mentally tough, too, which is obvious from his bring-it-on approach to facing the Bills again.

"I'm looking forward to them, because I know they're going to try and go back after me again," he said. "I know I'm going to have to strap it up and outplay those guys."

As expected, LB Jonathan Vilma (knee) was ruled out for tomorrow's game. Rookie David Harris will start in place of Vilma, who could miss the rest of the season. The Bills downgraded TE Ryan Neufeld (quadriceps) and WR Sam Aiken (hamstring) to doubtful. . . . Mangini said LB Matt Chatham (offseason foot surgery) won't be brought off the physically unable to perform list until next week.

bhubbuch@nypost.com

Jets' rookie cornerback eager to get another shot at the Bills

Saturday, October 27, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- A divisional rematch is perhaps the ultimate paradox for a cornerback.

One of the biggest requirements for the job is a short memory. Yet this is one instance where the past can be a help.

So it is for Jets' rookie Darrelle Revis as he and his teammates prepare to face Buffalo on Sunday at Giants Stadium. The Jets lost to the Bills, 17-14, on Sept. 30 as Revis was picked on heavily.

Revis was covering wide receiver Josh Reed, who often lined up in the slot. Reed finished with four receptions for 64 yards as rookie Trent Edwards, making his first NFL start, completed 22 of 28 passes for 234 yards with one touchdown and one interception.

"I'm looking forward to [playing] them," Revis said Friday. "I know they're going to try to go after me again and I have to be ready. I have to strap it up and outplay those guys."

Since that game, Revis said, "I learned how to play the slot better and I learned a couple more techniques that the coaches have taught me."

His education also included some difficult moments against Cincinnati last week, when he was called for two pass interference penalties.

Those penalties occurred on drives that both resulted in Bengals' touchdowns. On replay, the first one appeared to be a "clean play," as Revis called it afterward.

"I don't think that I struggled," Revis said of his performance against Cincinnati. "It was two pass interference calls. One shouldn't have been one and the other one was my fault.

"I just didn't turn and look for the ball. ... If I had just turned my head around, it could have changed the [second] play dramatically. It's a learning experience. You take the coaching and go on with your life."

And life in the NFL for a rookie cornerback can be a dizzying experience at times. Yet coach Eric Mangini appreciates Revis' pragmatic approach.

"What I like about him," Mangini said, "is the constant attention to detail, the way that as things come up and he learns or experiences things in the game, he builds on those experiences."

Revis demonstrated those qualities in the Buffalo game. Reed had beaten him several times. And with Buffalo leading by three and facing a third-and-3 at its own 35 with two minutes left, Edwards threw for Reed again. This time, Revis broke up the pass, giving the Jets' offense one last shot.

"You've got to have a short memory," Revis said. "You can get beat for a touchdown and you have to forget it for the next play. ... Every DB can't swat every ball down or get every interception all the time. [Opponents] are going to catch a 5-yarder and you have to come up and tackle sometimes."

This is the first rematch of Revis' NFL career.

"It helps a lot," he said of facing a team for a second time. "It gives you an identity of those guys having played them on the field. You know what type of routes they run, how fast they are, how quick they are and what they can do. It's a great opportunity not just for me, but for the whole team."

VILMA OUT: Linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who didn't practice all week because of a knee injury suffered in the Cincinnati game, was officially listed as out for this game Friday. It's possible that Vilma could be sidelined for awhile.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Jonathan Vilma out Sunday, year remains in doubt

BY KRISTIE ACKERT

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, October 27th 2007, 4:00 AM

Jonathan Vilma will miss tomorrow's game against the Bills. After missing three days of practice, the linebacker was listed on the Jets' final injury report of the week as out with a knee injury.

The Daily News first reported on Wednesday that Vilma had suffered an injury, one that would require season-ending surgery. The Jets, however, maintained their zero-information policy regarding the injury. Eric Mangini evaded questions about the severity of the injury and the anticipated length of time Vilma would miss.

"We assess it as we go," Mangini said this week. "We're going to continue to do that. He's getting treatment. We'll have to see how it goes."

Vilma, a first-round pick in 2004, apparently suffered the injury in Sunday's loss at Cincinnati. Mangini said that was why the fourth-year veteran missed eight of 34 plays in the second half. Vilma contradicted his coach in his paid radio spot on WFAN, saying he was not hurt.

Other injury news included QB Chad Pennington - who has been listed as questionable each week since hurting his ankle in the first week of the season (he missed the Ravens game) - being upgraded to probable.

Jets' Revis ready to redeem himself vs. Bills

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

October 27, 2007

Bills quarterback Trent Edwards was diplomatic.

Darrelle Revis was blunt.

"I'm sure they're going to come after me again," the rookie cornerback said Friday, referring to his first game against the Bills, a 17-14 loss Sept. 30. Edwards finished 22-for-28 for 234 yards, frequently throwing in Revis' direction. Edwards completed 9 of 11 to receivers under Revis' watch, with Lee Evans catching six of them for 72 yards.

"We were pulling some plays that were getting him [Evans] the ball," Edwards said. "We were getting him open and blocking well up front. I don't think it was a conscious effort to get him the ball; it just worked out that way."

Revis, who said his struggles that day could be traced to his unfamiliarity covering the slot receiver, knows better. "They went after me that game," he said.

He said he took several lessons - most relating to man-to-man coverage techniques - from the Buffalo game, ones he is eager to apply Sunday.

"It helps a lot because it gives you an identity of those guys playing them on the field," Revis said. "So you know what kinds of routes they run, how fast they are, how quick they are, what they can do."

Revis committed two pass-interference penalties in last week's loss to Cincinnati; with coach Eric Mangini promising lineup changes afterward, Revis theoretically could have been in trouble for Sunday. Revis and safety Kerry Rhodes are the only defensive backs to have started every game, but Mangini has consistently praised his rookie and did so again Friday.

"What I like with him is the constant attention to detail, the way that as things come up, as he learns or experiences things in the game, he builds on those experiences," Mangini said. "He's a physically strong player, tackles well and is very consistent with his approach for such a young guy."

Part of maintaining that consistency is the short-term memory necessary for any athlete in a spotlight position.

"The thing that I have seen in him is that for the most part, he is able to put [bad plays] past him," Rhodes said. "He doesn't dwell on plays too much and he has confidence to come back and keep going."

Notes&quotes: Mangini gave his version of Richard Nixon's "Checkers" speech - the gold standard in public figure evasiveness - when pressed about the knee injury that kept LB Jonathan Vilma out of practice this week and ultimately out of Sunday's game. That was made official with the release of the team's injury report Friday.

But asked earlier in the day if there was any chance Vilma would play Sunday, Mangini said, "With any injury, each guy is different. So you look at it. Sometimes you really expect someone to play and they just can't do it when you come down to Sunday. Other guys that you think there's really no shot of playing, do. So that's why we go through the full week, take a look at it."

Mangini later said, "It's something that if you go one way, a lot of times the opposite happens. So we always go through the full process."

Rookie David Harris, who had a career-best eight tackles against the Bengals, likely will start for Vilma.

TE Chris Baker (back), who missed last week's game, is questionable.

Sunday

Bills at Jets

4:05 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WABC (770); WEPN (1050), WRCN (103.9)

Jets' Vilma out for Bills game

By BRIAN HEYMAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 27, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - Eric Mangini wouldn't reveal any new information on Jonathan Vilma's knee injury during a press conference yesterday morning at Weeb Ewbank Hall. The Jets' coach even refused to rule the inside linebacker out of the Buffalo game tomorrow at the Meadowlands.

But when the injury report came out at 4 p.m., Vilma indeed was listed as out.

There have been reports that Vilma might need a season-ending operation, and that he has been seeking another medical opinion. The practices came and went without him this week.

"We assess it as we go," Mangini said. "We're going to continue to do that. ... He's getting treatment."

Mangini said earlier in the week that Vilma hurt the knee during the 38-31 loss in Cincinnati last Sunday. He did miss some time during the second half.

Rookie David Harris, a second-round pick out of Michigan, replaced him on the plays he sat out and is expected to start against the Bills.

Also, tight end Chris Baker, who missed the Cincinnati game with a back injury, is listed as questionable.

Education of Jets rookie Revis continues

By BRIAN HEYMAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 27, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - Trent Edwards dropped back to throw, and the green and white jersey on the other side might as well have had a large target etched on the back instead of No. 24.

The Bills picked on the Jets' rookie left cornerback up at Ralph Wilson Stadium four Sundays ago, be it on the outside in the base defense or inside when there was a slot receiver to cover. Edwards threw 11 balls in Darrelle Revis' neighborhood, and the rookie quarterback completed nine of them - eight for first downs - in a 17-14 win that kicked off the Jets' current four-game losing streak.

But now Revis is going to get a chance to show Buffalo if he got something out of the experience, and he says that he did. The Jets and the Bills will see when they square off again tomorrow at the Meadowlands.

"I learned a lot of things," Revis said after practice yesterday at Hofstra. "I learned how to play the slot better. I learned a couple of more techniques that the coaching staff (taught me). I basically just got more comfortable with what they were doing. It's good to play a team over again because you've got a feel for what they want to do and what's going on."

If anything good can come from this season that already seems long lost at 1-6, it's the education of young players like this promising 22-year-old first-round pick out of Pittsburgh, taking a peak-and-valley first ride around the NFL landscape.

"I'm not an All-Pro," Revis said. "I'm learning. I'm still trying to be the best I can be. Things are going to happen out there this year. I've just got to be consistent in my play and keep on working on my technique as a DB in this league."

Take last Sunday's 38-31 setback in Cincinnati. Yellow flags flew at him for two third-down pass-interference penalties on second-half scoring drives. The second one led to the go-ahead touchdown and earned him a sideline lecture from coach Eric Mangini.

"I don't think I struggled," Revis said. "It was just two pass-interference calls, one that shouldn't have been one and the other one was my fault. I just didn't turn and look for the ball."

The Jets waited through a 20-day holdout for his arrival after trading up on draft day from No. 25 to No. 14 to fill their need for a cover corner. This one happens to be adept at run support, too.

The 5-foot-11, 204-pounder from Aliquippa, Pa., became the first rookie to start at cornerback on opening day for the Jets since Ray Mickens 11 years ago and now stands second among all rookies with his team-leading 49 tackles, including 43 solo stops. Revis has also broken up six passes and forced a fumble.

"What I like about Darrelle is the constant attention to detail, and the way that as things come up, as he learns or experiences things in the game, he builds on those experiences," Mangini said. "He's a physically strong player, tackles well and is very consistent with his approach for such a young guy."

He has the right cornerback mentality - amnesia.

"Teams are coming after him a little bit," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "It's going to be that way. He's a young guy. But the thing I've seen in him is, for the most part, he's been able to put it past him. He doesn't dwell on plays too much, and he has the confidence to come back and keep going."

Pittsburgh also used to keep sending him out there to return punts. He zigged and zagged through a bunch of Mountaineers from West Virginia for a spectacular 73-yard touchdown last season - ESPN's "College Football Play of the Year." Yet the Jets haven't used him in that role. Leon Washington has averaged 7.7 yards on six punt returns, with a long of 15 yards.

"I want to do it," Revis said. "Right now is not my time. Leon is doing a great job back there. ... I have to wait my turn."

The wait also continues for his first interception. Maybe this will be the week, when he meets up again with receivers Lee Evans, Josh Reed and Roscoe Parrish. He's already met up with Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress and Chad Johnson.

"These are top guys every year in the league," Revis said. "It was good to go up against them and compete and see what you need to work on and where your game is at and just get better as a DB."

The education continues.

Elam gets his chance and is a hit for Jets

Saturday, October 27, 2007

BY M.A. MEHTA

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Safety Abram Elam was flying around, turning last Sunday afternoon into his own personal demolition derby. He crashed his 6-0, 207-pound body into ballcarriers, doing anything and everything to make sure his first chance with the Jets wasn't his last.

He hasn't exactly taken the easy path to the NFL.

When it was over, Elam picked up seven solo tackles against the Bengals in his first career start and flashed some of the hard-hitting, physical style that prompted coach Eric Mangini to insert him into the starting lineup ahead of safeties Erik Coleman and Eric Smith.

"I really like that about him," Mangini said. "That translates into when he plays defense. He is a very high-energy guy, a high-motor guy."

Pushed to the margin, Elam, who is expected to make his second start against the Bills tomorrow at Giants Stadium, felt fortunate to get a shot with the Jets. Truth be told, he was just happy to be there.

It wasn't long ago when playing in the NFL was the furthest thing from his mind.

At Notre Dame, Elam was convicted of sexual battery after an incident in 2002 at an off-campus apartment involving three other players. Elam, who was sentenced to two years probation and community service, transferred to Kent State before signing with the Dolphins as an undrafted free agent in 2005.

"It made me humble and appreciate what I had," Elam said after Jets practice at Hofstra yesterday. "That's something that I value now. Just being here. It's truly a blessing. It's a dream come true."

Elam played on special teams for the Cowboys last season before getting cut. The Jets signed the free agent after their Week 1 loss to the Patriots.

On the field, Elam's exuberance landed him in some hot water against the Bengals. He was flagged for a personal foul penalty after trying to strip the ball from Bengals running back Kenny Watson after he was whistled down by contact. Mangini, who admitted having "no tolerance" for unsportsmanlike penalties, benched Elam after the play.

It was a poor decision to try to get the ball (when the runner was) on the ground," Mangini said. "He just made a poor decision by trying to rip it out when it wouldn't have mattered anyway if he had gotten the ball out."

Mangini changed his tune after reviewing the film.

"It's really clear on tape what he was trying to do," Mangini said. "When you're looking at it from where the official was and where I was, it was much less clear as to what the intent was. It looked like he was punching the guy almost (at the time)."

The Jets' anemic defense, which ranks 28th in the NFL (377.7 yards), could certainly use more positive plays. Although Mangini admitted that Elam "got a little bit out of control" on a critical missed tackle of Watson on a third-and-two blitz play, the coach lauded his potential.

LB Jonathan Vilma (knee) was ruled out on the team's official injury report after missing practice all week. TE Chris Baker (back), WR Laveranues Coles (calf) and DL Dewayne Robertson (knee) are questionable after being limited in practice.

For the Bills, DE Ryan Denney (foot), CB Ashton Youboty (ankle) and LB Leon Joe (knee) are out. TE Ryan Neufeld (quad), S Jim Leonhard (calf) and WR Sam Aiken (hamstring) are doubtful. DE Chris Kelsay (ankle) and LB Josh Stamer (calf) are questionable.

M.A. Mehta may be reached at

mmehta@starledger.com

Archived