Toon, Chrebet and Coles

DMaynard

I really, really hope I am wrong, but I am afraid that Coles is going to retire early due to these concussions. If he does, that will bring to three the number of star WRs the Jets have lost to early retirement due to concussions in the past 20 years.

So what? Well, think about it. I am sure there have been other star NFL WRs that have retired early due to concussions in the past 20 years. I just can't think of any. I can think of Steve Young, Troy Aikman, but no WRs. So, let's say one of you can think of another 2. Again, I am talking about star WRs who played a while, not some no-name backup. There are 32 teams in the NFL. And the Jets will have had 3 of the 5 unfortunates. Anyone else find that mathematical probability a little ridiculous? Even if you can come up with 7 other names. 3 out of 10 among 32 teams???

Now tell me the Curse thing is nonsense.

I really, really hope I am wrong, but I am afraid that Coles is going to retire early due to these concussions. If he does, that will bring to three the number of star WRs the Jets have lost to early retirement due to concussions in the past 20 years.

So what? Well, think about it. I am sure there have been other star NFL WRs that have retired early due to concussions in the past 20 years. I just can't think of any. I can think of Steve Young, Troy Aikman, but no WRs. So, let's say one of you can think of another 2. Again, I am talking about star WRs who played a while, not some no-name backup. There are 32 teams in the NFL. And the Jets will have had 3 of the 5 unfortunates. Anyone else find that mathematical probability a little ridiculous? Even if you can come up with 7 other names. 3 out of 10 among 32 teams???

Now tell me the Curse thing is nonsense.

AFAIK, this is Coles first concussion. He hasn't even missed a game yet, let alone ended his career. He'd probably play if it weren't for the crack down. Personally, I hope he skips this one. Let him get right first.

Some study says there is about a concussion every other NFL game. The problem isn't guys being forced into retirement, it's guys not being able to lead normal lives in retirement. As far as WR go, I think concussions may have had something to do with Lynn Swann retiring, but that was a long time ago.

TheDominator is right, we shouldn't really be worrying about Coles ending his career early due to concussions. Plus I think you shouldn't compare to Coles' concussion to players like Chrebet and Toon. Chrebet roughly got 6 concussions in an eleven year span. Cole's has gotten probably a total of two in his 7 year career so far. Also Chrebet played eleven seasons, his time was ending as a jet anyways. So in my opinion, this topic should be brought up in 5 years and we shouldn't be worrying about his career ending short due to concussions as of right now.

AFAIK, this is Coles first concussion. He hasn't even missed a game yet, let alone ended his career. He'd probably play if it weren't for the crack down. Personally, I hope he skips this one. Let him get right first.

Some study says there is about a concussion every other NFL game. The problem isn't guys being forced into retirement, it's guys not being able to lead normal lives in retirement. As far as WR go, I think concussions may have had something to do with Lynn Swann retiring, but that was a long time ago.

He hasnt missed many games due to them, but this certainly is NOT Coles's first concussion.

I believe he suffered at least two minor ones last season.

He suffered a concussion last season in Miami. I read he was woozy for two weeks afterword.

Good memory!

from the Daily news:

For the second time in 10 months, Laveranues Coles is dealing with a head injury and he may join Chad Pennington on the sideline.

The team revealed yesterday that Coles suffered a concussion against Buffalo last Sunday. Coles, who rarely misses a practice, was in sweats during practice and his status for Sunday's game against the Redskins is in doubt. Kellen Clemens may have to make his first start as the No. 1 quarterback and second career start without his top receiver.

"Any time you have an injury, it is scary," Eric Mangini said yesterday during a conference call with Washington reporters. "With a guy like Laveranues who is so tough, you have to be careful and make sure you go through the same process that you would go through with every other player. That is what we are doing. We will go through the process and look at him throughout the course of the week and evaluate him when we get closer to the game."

Coles spoke to reporters before news emerged of his concussion and looked and sounded fine and lucid. The wide receiver declined to discuss how he was feeling. He was knocked unconscious briefly after a fourth-quarter reception - Pennington's final completion before being replaced by Clemens - when he was slammed to the turf.

When asked if he had the wind knocked out of him on the play after he lay on the turf motionless, Coles replied after the game, "I got everything knocked out of me."

This appears to be Coles' second concussion in less than a year. He was knocked out last Christmas night in Miami following a helmet-to-helmet hit by Zach Thomas.

He hasnt missed many games due to them, but this certainly is NOT Coles's first concussion.

I believe he suffered at least two minor ones last season.

That's right. The Zach Thomas one at least. My point is that concussions are a part of the NFL. Tons of players get them. That's why I hope that Coles sits this one out. I don't think the Jets were cursed with anything other than tough players who wanted to play through them and a **** medical staff that let them trot out there while their brains were still rattling around in their heads. I think it's good that the NFL is addressing the issue, even if guys all end up with that Gazoo foam outer helmet that guy from Buffalo used to wear. Was it Tasker?

He got a concussion on last Christmas night when he collided and banged helmets with Zack Thomas. Coles said he was woozy for two weeks. We just don't know about any others. But the MRI's give them a good indicator. There are mild concussions and there are severe concussions. Mild or severe, x number messes up the brain because the cells die. In Coles' case, there will be the medical opinion and then his decision and the Jets decision.

Archived