NY Jets News Articles 11/ 14

Kentucky Jet

NY DAILY NEWS- Vilma faces long knee rehab.

Jonathan Vilma, one week removed from surgery to have loose fragments removed from his right knee, acknowledged Tuesday that he faces months of rehab. Vilma, citing team policy, refused to divulge any specifics, but it's clear the "procedure" (his description) was more serious than a simple arthroscopy.

Vilma didn't have the dreaded microfracture surgery, according to a person familiar with the situation. But the surgery has left him in a brace, dependent on his parents to drive him around. He will rehab at his Miami home for another month before returning to New York. He hopes to play next season, but he stopped short of guaranteeing he'd be back by training camp.

"I can't say definitely," Vilma said on a conference call, commenting for the first time on his surgery. "You never know what's going to happen. There could be complications, but I'm excited to be coming back and playing in 2008."

Vilma declined to comment on a recent Daily News report that said a pre-existing bone defect, which the Jets knew about when they drafted him in 2004, contributed to his injury. Addressing speculation he could be traded, Vilma didn't give an emphatic "I-want-to-be-a-Jet" response. "If I do go, I'll wish the Jets the best of luck and hope they're successful," he said. "If I stay, I'll stay for the same purpose I'm here now - to win a championship."

Asked if he likes playing for the Jets and Eric Mangini, Vilma responded without praising his coach. "I like my teammates, I like playing here, I like the organization, I hate that we're losing," he said.

CURTIS A FAN-GINI: Mangini is taking a lot of heat for the Jets' terrible season, but he still has a big fan in Curtis Martin.

"I would tell Eric to keep doing what he's doing," the former Jets star told the Daily News. "Eric is a great coach, regardless if they're one-and-whatever. Even when (Bill) Belichick went to New England, they had a similar year."

The Patriots went 5-11 in Belichick's first season, 2000, but they won the Super Bowl in '01.

"It's almost like watching a ship turn," Martin said of the Jets' plight. "It doesn't turn like a car. It's a lot slower. But once it turns, it's hard to stop it from going that way."

Martin will be honored at halftime of Sunday's Jets-Steelers game at the Meadowlands.

Jonathan Vilma, one week removed from surgery to have loose fragments removed from his right knee, acknowledged Tuesday that he faces months of rehab. Vilma, citing team policy, refused to divulge any specifics, but it's clear the "procedure" (his description) was more serious than a simple arthroscopy.

Vilma didn't have the dreaded microfracture surgery, according to a person familiar with the situation. But the surgery has left him in a brace, dependent on his parents to drive him around. He will rehab at his Miami home for another month before returning to New York. He hopes to play next season, but he stopped short of guaranteeing he'd be back by training camp.

"I can't say definitely," Vilma said on a conference call, commenting for the first time on his surgery. "You never know what's going to happen. There could be complications, but I'm excited to be coming back and playing in 2008."

Vilma declined to comment on a recent Daily News report that said a pre-existing bone defect, which the Jets knew about when they drafted him in 2004, contributed to his injury. Addressing speculation he could be traded, Vilma didn't give an emphatic "I-want-to-be-a-Jet" response. "If I do go, I'll wish the Jets the best of luck and hope they're successful," he said. "If I stay, I'll stay for the same purpose I'm here now - to win a championship."

Asked if he likes playing for the Jets and Eric Mangini, Vilma responded without praising his coach. "I like my teammates, I like playing here, I like the organization, I hate that we're losing," he said.

That F'ing Sucks. BIG TIME!!!!

MANY HAPPY RETURNS

WASHINGTON LIKELY TO RUN ALL THE WAY TO HAWAII LEON LIGHTS: Leon Washington, running back a kickoff for a touchdown against the Redskins on Nov. 4, has returned three kickoffs for TDs in nine games so far this season. November 14, 2007 -- IT'S difficult to fathom any 1-8 team fancying one of its players being voted onto the Pro Bowl team, but the Jets appear to have a lock on their roster in Leon Washington.

As good as Washington has been, leading the NFL with a 33.5-yard kickoff return average and becoming the 11th player in NFL history to return three kickoffs for touchdowns in one season, it's a shame he won't be joined by his special teams coach, Mike Westhoff, and the players who block for him.

Washington, the Jets' diminutive (5-8, 202) all-purpose running back, is having a superb season returning kicks with his explosive bursting speed, great vision and slippery moves.

But Westhoff and the likes of Chris Baker, Matt Chatham, David Bowens, David Harris, Stacy Tutt, Abram Elam and Eric Smith have had a pretty significant hand in the Jets' success on kickoffs.

To his humble credit, Washington is always the first to credit all of those around him.

But it's the synergy of all of the above working in concert that have this kick return unit on the cusp of making history.

The NFL record for most kickoff returns in one season is four, and the Jets have aspirations of bettering that.

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 14, 2007 -- Jonathan Vilma, speaking yesterday to reporters for the first time since he had surgery on his right knee last week, said he has every intention of returning to the Jets next season healthy and ready to resume his career.

Vilma, citing the strict team policy that forbids players from talking about injuries, declined to be specific about exactly what kind of surgery he had.

Among the various reports that have been floated about included one that he was having micro-fracture surgery, which is quite serious, but a person with knowledge of the situation said yesterday the surgery was not micro-fracture.

Numerous rumors have been swirling since Vilma was mysteriously injured during the Jets' loss to the Bengals.

There has for two years been speculation he dislikes the 3-4 defensive scheme Eric Mangini employs. There, too, have been rumors he and Mangini don't see eye to eye.

And there have been subsequent reports Vilma had been shopped as trade bait before the trade deadline and that, with one year remaining on his contract, he'll be moved in the offseason.

Vilma yesterday attempted to squash all those rumors. Of the reports of him being unhappy with the defense and Mangini, Vilma said

Vilma OK after surgery but is noncommittal on future with Jets

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 14, 2007)

Jonathan Vilma still loves New York. At least for the time being.

"The media's job is to go out there and start speculating and start stories," the injured inside linebacker said on a conference call yesterday when asked about rumors he'd be playing elsewhere next season. "That's a hot topic button and I have no control over that, which doesn't bother me. If I go to another team, I'll wish the Jets luck. If I stay, I'll try to win a championship.''

Toward that end, Vilma said surgery on his right knee went well last week in Florida under the care of University of Miami team physician Dr. John Uribe.

Vilma hurt his right knee at Cincinnati and was placed on season-ending injured reserve six days later. He underwent surgery last Wednesday and said he was wearing a knee brace and could not yet put weight on the leg.

Vilma would not specify what type of surgery was performed. However, The Journal News has confirmed it was not microfracture surgery and Vilma said it was unlike the one performed on ex-Hurricanes teammate Willis McGahee. The running back underwent reconstructive surgery after suffering severe ligament damage in the 2002 BCS Championship Game.

Vilma reportedly has an issue with floating bone chips dating to his high school career, a problem the Jets knew about when they drafted him.

Vilma said no further surgery is planned and he expects to be ready for training camp next summer. However, he did not want to make any guarantees.

"I can't say definite because you never know what happens," Vilma said. "There might be some complications. But I'm excited to be playing in 2008."

He added nothing should be read into the fact that he chose not to use the Jets' medical staff.

"Dr. Uribe performed surgery on my other knee, so he's a guy who's done my knee before," Vilma said. "It's definitely nothing against the Jets' doctors. They encouraged me. They said forget who's feeling hurt, go with who you trust."

Vilma said he delayed having the operation while seeking second opinions to make sure he "had all the information and was making the right decision" since being on IR meant time wasn't necessarily of the essence.

"The deciding factor was the procedure I had done gave me the best option not only for the short term, which is the rest of my career, but long term as well," Vilma said. "I'm talking after football."

Vilma also said that speculation he didn't want to play in the Jets' 3-4 defense and instead would prefer to play elsewhere was "fictional."

"I like my teammates," he said. "I like playing here. I like the organization. I hate that we're losing."

Vilma will be entering the final year of the deal he signed after the Jets selected him 12th overall in the 2004. With second-round pick David Harris' emergence - he had 41 tackles in his first two starts - the Jets could try to trade Vilma in the offseason. There were strong rumors the Jets explored trading Vilma prior to this April's draft.

Vilma said while he will rehab in Florida, he hoped to return to see the Jets (1-8) play their final two home games, against the Browns on Dec. 9 and the Chiefs on Dec. 30.

Note: Rookie cornerback Manny Collins was signed to the practice squad yesterday, replacing ex-Giants cornerback E.J. Underwood, who was released. Collins, an undrafted free agent out of Rutgers, first signed with the Jets Aug. 2 and was on their practice squad from Sept. 3-Oct. 10.

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets blog at

JETS CHALK TALK: Vilma still secretive on injury

TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

November 14, 2007

It was a casual, breezy, conversational question to open the conference call with, but it got to the heart of the matter even though it probably wasn't meant to.

"Hey Jon, how you doin'?" someone asked Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma at the start of his first public comments since undergoing surgery on his right knee to repair a season-ending injury last week.

The answer was as pithy as the question, but perhaps one of his most forthcoming of the entire session: "I'm doin' good."

Vilma would not describe the type of surgery or provide any hint to a timetable for his return to a football field. The next time he puts an NFL helmet on his head, it's unlikely to have a Jets logo on the side. That he had Dr. John Uribe, the team physician for the University of Miami, and not the Jets doctors perform the surgery indicates that there is some growing distance between the player and the franchise.

But while he's still a Jet, Vilma is insistent on following the team's rules, and that means no injury talk.

"The surgery did go well, I can tell you that," Vilma said. "I'll be down here [in Miami] rehabbing for a little while and I'll definitely try to make it up to see the last couple of home games versus Cleveland and Kansas City. As far as the surgery, it was a success. The best thing right now is that I have time on my side, since I'm not playing right now, to get back for the 2008 season."

Vilma had been diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans before the Jets selected him in the first round of the 2004 draft. In OCD, blood supply to the bone underlying the articular cartilage is interrupted, creating an area of dead bone.

According to a person familiar with Vilma's medical situation, Vilma had an OCD fragment that collapsed and broke loose. Because Vilma said doctors told him that his surgery was "one and done" and would require no further procedures during or after his career, it is believed Vilma underwent an osteochondral allograft. No ligaments are involved in either case. A separate person familiar with the situation confirmed that Vilma did not undergo microsurgery, a procedure that would require about a year of rehab. Recovery time from the allograft is generally between three and six months.

Vilma did address speculation that he will not return to play for the Jets. While he has, in the past, sidestepped the matter, in recent interviews he has at least acknowledged the possibility.

"I have no control over that," he said. "It's a business and if I do go to another team I wish the Jets the best of luck and hopefully I'll be successful. If I stay, I'm staying for the same purpose that I've been here for, and that's to win a championship."

Asked specifically about reports that have quoted sources as saying Vilma is unhappy with the Jets and their 3-4 defense and he is looking to get out, Vilma called them "fictional."

Storylines

A quick look at the top stories this week

Who'll be applauding Curtis?

Running back Curtis Martin, who hasn't played since late in 2005 and announced his retirement just prior to this season, will be honored during a halftime ceremony at Sunday's game against the Steelers. Martin is the Jets' all-time leading rusher and the fourth all-time leading rusher in the NFL with 14,101 yards on 3,518 carries. He is also a native of Pittsburgh and played his college ball at Pitt, so the Steelers fans who are buying all of the tickets from discouraged Jets season ticket holders for the game will have a chance to applaud a native son.

Been there, done that

The Jets came back from their bye week somewhat refreshed and refocused, but the clouds of a 1-8 record and a six-game losing streak quickly returned to blot out their sunshine. "It's monotonous," veteran linebacker David Bowens said of the losing. "We have to say the same thing every week on why we lost the game. It seems like every game, the reasons have been the same for why we lost. It would be good for once - or seven times - to come in and say we outplayed these guys and made the plays that they didn't."

Even coin toss is loss

Safety Kerry Rhodes didn't only attend the high school football game of his younger brother Justin, a heavily recruited offensive and defensive lineman, in Alabama this weekend. He was asked to be at midfield for the opening coin toss. Still, he was unable to escape the bad luck which has plagued his and the Jets' season so far. His alma mater and his brother's team, Jess Lanier, won the game, but Rhodes was unable to win the coin toss. "I heard my brother say, 'Damn, Kerry, you messed up the coin toss, too,' " Rhodes said with a big grin. "Nothing's going right for me this year."

Statlines

The Jets didn't play last week, but their run defense managed to get worse. Well, not really, but because the three teams that were ranked below them last week each had a strong effort while the Jets were off, the Jets' run defense slipped from 29th to a league-worst 32nd. This is the first time since 2003 that the Jets have been last in the league in run defense. A look at the teams currently the worst against the run:

Team Yards per game Last week's ranking Week 10 rushing yards allowed

29. Raiders 144.2 30 78 vs. Bears

30. Dolphins 149.7 31 63 vs. Bills

31. Broncos 151.0 32 67 vs. Chiefs

32. Jets 152.2 29 Bye

November 13, 2007

Manny comes back ... again

For all of those who participate in a practice squad fantasy football league -- and you know as well as I do that one exists somewhere -- here's an update from the Jets, who can't seem to make up their mind at this position:

The New York Jets signed cornerback Manny Collins to the practice squad and released cornerback E.J. Underwood from the practice squad. The announcement was made by Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Collins (5-10, 190, Rutgers) was signed by the Jets as an undrafted rookie free agent on Aug. 2, waived on Sept. 1 and then signed to the Jets practice squad on Sept. 3 before being released on Oct. 10. He recorded 68 tackles, two interceptions and four fumble recoveries during four seasons at Rutgers University.

Underwood (6-1, 185, Pikeville) was signed to the practice squad on Oct. 10. He originally signed with the New York Giants as a rookie free agent on May 13, 2006. He spent the 2006 season on the injured reserve and was signed to the Giants practice squad on Sept. 2, 2007 before being released on Oct. 8. The Hamilton, OH native played three years at Ohio State before transferring to Pikeville College (NAIA). In 29 games (eight starts) at Ohio State, he recorded 54 tackles with 20 solos and one pass defensed and was a member of the 2002 National Championship team. In one season at Pikeville, he played in 10 games, tallying 49 tackles (35 solos) with one interception, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and one blocked kick. Underwood also caught four passes for 77 yards and returned punts and kickoffs, including one 77-yard punt return for a touchdown.

Posted by Tom Rock on November 13, 2007 8:58 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

WatchDog and his Pup growl at Jets-Chiefs

By Tom Rock

Yesterday we posted some speculation that the Jets may have to keep their season-finale (do we really need to stipulate regular season-finale???) against the Chiefs as an 8 o'clocker just because the Giants have a home game the previous night. It still might have to be a 4 o'clocker because of those logistics, but WatchDog and the other guy both reported back saying that there is no way NBC will keep the Jets-Chiefs game as their Sunday Night showcase that week.

You can read thier comments attached to the post below, or read them here:

From Glauber: My mole who's in the know about NBC plans for final weekend has two words about the possibility of keeping Jets-Chiefs on the broadcast schedule: No way.

From Best: I have been doing my own research with TV moles today and agree with Glauber: There is ZERO chance the Jets will be playing at 8 p.m. that night. They might have to go with unpainted end zones for that weekend's games.

And by the way, I know Stephen King didn't write Beowulf. J.K. Rowling did. Duh!

Posted by Tom Rock on November 13, 2007 2:20 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBacks (0)

Vilma mum on surgery, future

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma refused to lift the cloak of secrecy surrounding his injured right knee, but he did say that the surgery was successful and he plans to be ready for the 2008 season. Where he'll play, however, remains a mystery.

Vilma, who was injured in a Week 7 game against the Bengals, had surgery last week in Florida. Though he refused to reveal the nature of the surgery, he had loose bone chips or fragments removed from the knee. He didn't give a timetable for his recovery but said he plans to rehab in Miami for the next few weeks before returning to New York in time for a Dec. 9 game against the Browns at Giants Stadium.

Vilma likely had an arthroscopic procedure. Contrary to reports, he didn't have microfracture surgery, a much more serious procedure that involves a lengthy recovery, according to a person with intimate knowledge of the surgery. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak publicly.

"The surgery did go well," said Vilma, adding that it was done by noted surgeon John Uribe, the University of Miami team doctor, and not the Jets' team doctors because Uribe had operated on his left knee while he was at Miami. "The best thing right now is I have time on my side."

Vilma denied reports in The Star Ledger that he's unhappy playing in the Jets' 3-4 scheme and wants out. He'll be in the final year of his contract in 2008 and speculation is he'll likely be traded because he's an ill-fit for the 3-4 alignment.

"I like my teammates," he said. "I like playing here. I like the organization. I hate that we're losing. That's the only thing I hate right now."

Revis in a comfort zone

Jets rookie CB excited to face his hometown Steelers

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

f

A year ago, Jets rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis would bump into his pal, Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes, in the parking lot of Heinz Field, where the University of Pittsburgh and the Steelers practiced and played their games.

On Sunday, the pair will match strides at Giants Stadium when the Steelers (7-2) meet the struggling Jets (1-8) at Giants Stadium. It'll be the first time Revis will play against his hometown Steelers and about three bus loads of family and friends -- many of whom are Steelers fans -- will make the trek from Aliquippa, Pa., to see the town's latest favorite son.

"It's going to be fun and exciting to go out there and compete," said Revis, who has started every game this season. "Those guys know me and I know them. The competition is going to be amped. It's going to be a lot of talking on the field, nothing bad just competition-wise."

Revis, who has a team-high 58 tackles and one interception, will need step up against Holmes, who has 34 catches for 589 yards (17.3-yard average) and a team-high-tying six touchdowns.

"It's going to be a lot of fun," said Revis, who was a three-year starter and All-American at Pitt before the Jets drafted him 14th overall. "I used to watch those guys practice, and I thought one day I wanted to either be over there with them or with another (NFL) team. It's just a joy to be in the NFL. It's exciting."

Revis, raised in Aliquippa, said he didn't necessarily grow up a Steelers fan. Instead, he said he rooted for whatever team his uncle, former NFL defensive tackle Sean Gilbert, played for. Gilbert, drafted third overall by the Rams in 1993, had stints with the Rams, Redskins, Panthers and Raiders. He won't be at the game because of a prior business commitment.

Located in the Pittsburgh metro area, Aliquippa is a football hotbed that has produced such NFL stars as ex-Jets cornerback Ty Law, former Cowboys great Tony Dorsett, Hall of Fame tight end Mike Ditka and Gilbert. Former NBA great "Pistol" Pete Maravich is also an Aliquippa legend.

Football, though, is king. They love their Steelers in Aliquippa, but they also love their own. Loyalties among those making the trip to Giants Stadium will be divided on Sunday. Even though they'll want Revis to play well, they'll want their beloved Steelers to win.

That, however, won't be the case with Diana Gilbert, Revis' mom. Though she's a big Steelers fan, she's an even bigger fan of Revis.

"I'm going to be rooting for my son," said Diana Gilbert yesterday. "I'll see the Steelers later. Not to take anything away from them, but I have to do what I have to do. I'm so proud of Darrelle. I'm so excited. I'm ready. I'm ready for him to do what he needs to do to help us get a win.

"They (the fans in Aliquippa) are really excited, too. They can't wait to see this matchup. They're really excited about the Steelers, but they want to support Darrelle."

Note: The Jets yesterday announced they re-signed ex-Rutgers CB Manny Collins to the practice squad and released CB E.J. Underwood.

Steelers' Clark, Tuman out against Jets

By Scott Brown

PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

It looks like free safety Ryan Clark (spleen) and tight end Jerame Tuman (back) won't play Sunday when the Steelers visit the New York Jets for a 4:05 p.m. game.

"There's been no real progress on each front," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly news conference.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger might not practice today because of a sore hip and sore shoulder. Running back Willie Parker (knee) and cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle) are also nursing minor injuries.

"For the most part, we have no complaints in the injury department," Tomlin said.

Week 10 Power Rankings: AFC dominates top 10

Posted by: Connor Byrne on November 14, 2007 12:51 AM

Every Wednesday during the NFL regular season, RealFootball365.com brings you its power poll, ranking the teams from the worst of the moment to the best. This is the 10th installment of 2007.

32. San Francisco 49ers (Last week: 29; 2-7) - If you're a 49ers fan or who someone who works within the organization, it has to be troubling that quarterback Alex Smith, in his third year, still shows no awareness in the pocket; moreover, he doesn't sense the oncoming rush. So far, Smith, whom the Niners drafted No. 1 overall in 2005, is a bust.

31. Miami Dolphins (LW: 32; 0-9) - The Dolphins probably deserved a better fate against the Bills, but they proved why they're winless. Good teams don't shoot themselves in the foot with stupid penalties at inopportune times.

30. New York Jets (LW: 30; 1-8) - The Jets' next two opponents: Pittsburgh, at Dallas. Hello, 1-10.

29. Oakland Raiders (LW: 28; 2-7) - It's hard to believe this ragtag bunch was 2-2 just five weeks ago. Now, it seems not much has changed from last season to this year in Oakland.

28. Carolina Panthers (LW: 21; 4-5) - Carolina's record is quite deceiving; this team is a mess.

27. St. Louis Rams (LW: 32; 1-8) - For one Sunday in the middle of November, what's left of The Greatest Show on Turf reunited to thrash the Saints. Healthy again, the Rams might be a dangerous spoiler team down the stretch.

26. Atlanta Falcons (LW: 27; 3-6) - The Falcons could have packed it in a while ago, but Bobby Petrino, to his credit, has kept the team going each week. As a result, Atlanta has won two in a row.

25. Minnesota Vikings (LW: 16; 3-6) - Adrian Peterson, now out for the foreseeable future with a torn knee ligament, was the only reason to watch the Vikings. Without him in the fold, the people of Minnesota might as well pursue other interests on Sundays.

24. Baltimore Ravens (LW: 21; 4-5) - You'd be hard-pressed to find many worse NFL QBs than Steve McNair right now. Sadly, it's time for the former MVP to hang it up; he has nothing left.

23. Cincinnati Bengals (LW: 25; 3-6) - Of Cincinnati's final seven opponents, four are eying the playoffs. Perhaps the Bengals will serve as an interesting spoiler.

22. Arizona Cardinals (LW: 26; 4-5) - Just when you think it's time to bury the Cardinals, they go out and beat up on Detroit. In the weak NFC West, it might not be time to write off Arizona just yet.

21. Houston Texans (LW: 20; 4-5) - Houston's remaining opponents are 38-26. Don't expect the once-undefeated Texans to be a serious playoff contender.

20. Washington Redskins (LW: 12; 5-4) - Washington isn't going to have much fun over the next five weeks: at Dallas (8-1), at Tampa Bay (5-4), Buffalo (5-4), Chicago (4-5), at the Giants (6-3). Throw in another game against the Cowboys, and the Redskins might be lucky to win more than once or twice the rest of the way.

19. Kansas City Chiefs (LW: 13; 4-5) - If Larry Johnson doesn't come back soon, these guys will be in a world of hurt. In the meantime, expect the Brodie Croyle-led Chiefs to get dropped by angry Indianapolis this weekend. Third loss in a row, here comes Kansas City.

18. Chicago Bears (LW: 19; 4-5) - Are the Bears back? If they beat Seattle in Week 11, they might be.

17. Denver Broncos (LW: 24; 4-5) - There isn't a more confusing team in the league this year. Don't give up on Denver yet, I guess.

16. Philadelphia Eagles (LW: 23; 4-5) - Philly is flying high off its 33-25 win in Washington, so it has to make sure not to look past this week's opponent, Miami. Buffalo did last Sunday, and it almost paid the price.

15. Seattle Seahawks (LW: 18; 5-4) - Although they only beat the 49ers, the Seahawks' Monday night win was extremely impressive. It was a throwback to the 2005 version of Seattle, which dominated teams en route to a Super Bowl berth.

14. New Orleans Saints (LW: 10; 4-5) - New Orleans' loss to then-winless St. Louis was both shocking and disappointing; however, keep in mind that no team in league history has ever started 0-4 and won five straight. The law of averages caught up to the Saints, who should still be able to make the playoffs in the subpar NFC.

13. Buffalo Bills (LW: 15; 5-4) - The Bills' Sunday nighter against the 9-0 Pats will be Buffalo's biggest in a while. The Bills haven't made the playoffs this decade, so if they can find a way to stun New England, there's no doubt they'll be on the fast track to the postseason.

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (LW: 14; 5-4) - If it's possible to win your bye week, the Buccaneers did. While resting and having an extra week to prepare for the lowly Falcons, Tampa Bay watched division rivals New Orleans and Carolina lose, each falling to 4-5. The Bucs are in the NFC South driver's seat.

11. Detroit Lions (LW: 6; 6-3) - Try to find a team with a more daunting remaining schedule than the Lions: a home-and-home series with Green Bay, the Giants, at Minnesota, Dallas, at San Diego, Kansas City. There is a very good possibility the Lions will miss the playoffs, and they'll kick themselves for losing to the likes of Washington and Arizona.

10. Tennessee Titans (LW: 7; 6-3) - Tennessee's next two games -- at Denver, at Cincinnati -- don't seem too difficult; however, these Titans don't have the offense to overlook any opponents. The team may have six wins, but it could easily end up collapsing over the next seven weeks and missing the playoffs.

9. San Diego Chargers (LW: 17; 5-4) - The end result is the only thing that matters, but the Chargers were absolutely terrible against the Colts. You have to wonder if Philip Rivers is actually the answer in San Diego. Either way, the Bolts can thank Darren Sproles for the fact they're above .500 right now.

8. Cleveland Browns (LW: 9; 5-4) - Although the Browns lost to the Steelers, they deserve to move up in the rankings for finally hanging with Pittsburgh. That rivalry, one of the best in the league, has been one-sided for a number of years now. Cleveland, which is experiencing somewhat of a resurgence, served notice to the Steelers that it won't be bullied anymore.

7. New York Giants (LW: 6; 6-3) - Clearly the Giants, Eli Manning in specific, aren't yet ready for prime time. In order to avoid another second-half collapse, New York needs to stop the bleeding against the Lions this week. Another defeat will lead to finger pointing from within and pressure from the relentless media presence in the Big Apple.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars (LW: 11; 6-3) - The Jaguars, who were in a must-win situation against Tennessee, made a statement Sunday by stomping the Titans. Had the Jags fallen, they'd have been 5-4 and fading fast in the AFC playoff race.

5. Indianapolis Colts (LW: 2; 7-2) - Don't look now, but the injury-riddled Colts, after two straight losses, are just a game up on the AFC South lead. Without Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, Tony Ugoh, Anthony Gonzalez and Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis' situation could get really dicey really quickly.

4. Green Bay Packers (LW: 5; 8-1) - At 462 years old (37, actually), Brett Favre might be the most valuable player in football right now. Good thing he didn't retire.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers (LW: 3; 7-2) - Mike Tomlin said it best: The Steelers didn't have their 'A' game against Cleveland, but they found a way to battle back from a 15-point deficit to win 31-28. Tomlin was also right when he stated the Steelers don't need to apologize for winning without style points. Even if it's ugly, you'll always take a victory within your division.

2. Dallas Cowboys (LW: 3; 8-1) - For the first time in the post-Troy Aikman era, the Cowboys have a quarterback they can be confident in. If you didn't believe in Tony Romo, you should after his excellent performance against the Giants.

1. New England Patriots (LW: 1; 9-0) - It'll be interesting to see if the bye week costs New England any of the momentum it's had so far this year.

RealFootball365.com: The place to go every Wednesday for NFL power rankings.

FOOTBALL

Jets not ready to wave white flag on season

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Kerry Rhodes watched some football during the bye week. He saw his alma mater, Louisville, on TV against West Virginia on Thursday, and participated in the coin toss before his younger brother Justin's game in the Alabama high school playoffs.

But he didn't watch any professional football games. In fact, the Jets' strong safety went out of his way not to.

Rhodes stopped at a restaurant Sunday, "and all the [NFL] games were on," he said. "I just sat there and closed my eyes. I got [the food] to go, so I was there for all of five minutes."

With the season the Jets have had, it's understandable that Rhodes and his teammates wanted to get away from thinking about the NFL during their bye week. They returned to practice Monday feeling refreshed.

Of course, the 1-8 record they left behind for a few days hadn't changed. So now their goal is, as linebacker David Bowens said, to "salvage a little bit of the season and end it on some sort of a good note."

Doing that won't be easy. Their first game after their brief respite will be Sunday at home against Pittsburgh (7-2), which is riding a three-game winning streak. Only four days after that game, the Jets will visit Dallas (8-1) for the Cowboys' traditional Thanksgiving game.

But even though the Jets' next two games are against some of the NFL's elite, Rhodes doesn't want to hear the word "spoiler."

Rhodes said, "I don't want to look at it that way. We need to come out and try to get a win, not [by] trying to play spoiler. If you try to play the role of spoiler, that kind of depicts you as a loser. You don't want to say we want to spoil their season because they're having a good season and we're not. We have to try and get a win because we want to win and we need a win."

Well, that's an understatement. The Jets haven't won since Sept. 23, when they beat Miami, 31-28. The Dolphins still are winless.

"It seems like forever," guard Brandon Moore said when asked if he could remember the Jets' win. "It's been a long time. We were looking to cut-ups [on film] from the bye week to correct and saw Miami. It seemed like ages ago."

"We have the confidence that we can start winning some games," Bowens said.

Not only would a win be fun for the players, it would be a change of pace.

"It's monotonous," Bowens said of the Jets' six-game skid. "We have to say the same thing every week on why we lost the game. It seems like every game the reasons have been the same for why we lost. It would be good for once, or seven times, to come in and say we outplayed these guys and made the plays that they didn't."

After their bye last season, the Jets finished with six victories in their last eight games to advance to the playoffs. But that team obviously had something more tangible to play for.

"The record still looms over our head because we're 1-8," Rhodes said, although he added, "It is a chance for us to try and get some things going in the right direction. It's not a fresh start, but a chance to recharge ourselves, put it behind us and try to have success now."

Now that would be an eye opener for Rhodes and his teammates.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Archived