NY Jets News Articles 11/ 17

Kentucky Jet

Bergen Record- Kellen looks to strike it big

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Kellen Clemens has a stronger arm than Chad Pennington. Yet his ascension to the position of starting quarterback hasn't made the Jets a vertical passing team, at least not yet.

Consider that in Clemens' start against Washington, the second-year quarterback averaged 5.4 yards per attempt. By contrast, Pennington has averaged 6.9 yards per attempt this season.

Clemens and the Jets will try to improve on those numbers when they play host to Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Coach Eric Mangini noted that against Washington, Clemens "had the deep one to Jerricho [Cotchery] on the over route in overtime [and] he had the one to Leon [Washington] that we weren't quite able to connect on. It was the same play we hit against the Giants in preseason [for a 79-yard score]. A lot of times with averages, you hit one or two big plays and that average shifts dramatically."

To connect on deeper passes, a quarterback also needs protection. Clemens took a helmet-to-helmet hit from Washington safety Laron Landry, resulting in a 15-yard Redskins' penalty on a third-and-9 situation in the first quarter.

"We had a pass called that was a little bit farther down the field," Clemens recalled, "so I had to hold the ball to give my receiver [brad Smith] an opportunity to get in and out of his route. It's a choice you make. could have thrown it away earlier, ducked and not taken the hit, but that's not really the way I play the position."

Clemens, like the rest of his teammates, hasn't played a game in almost two weeks. But he doesn't feel like the extra time will disrupt his rhythm.

"Getting a chance to get some extra reps over the course of the bye week was good," Clemens said. "Also having a chance to take a few days off and recharge the battery was good. Whether you're a starter or not, you're still pretty tired by the time week 10 rolls around, so it was good to have a few days to regroup."

Because of the bye week, the Jets have had six practices since their last game, rather than the normal three. That has given Clemens even more of a chance to familiarize himself with all the nuances of the Jets' offense now that he's the starter.

Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said Friday that the Jets' offensive philosophy hasn't changed much despite the quarterback switch.

"The system is the same," Schottenheimer said. "Certain quarterbacks like different plays more than others. ... There are different concepts that each guy likes. They're more comfortable with things they've had success with."

BRIEFS: Backup fullback Stacy Tutt (knee) didn't practice Friday and is listed as out. ... The Jets have two rushing touchdowns and featured back Thomas Jones has none. "Yeah, it's definitely surprising to me," he said Friday, adding, "The ultimate goal is to win the football game. I'm not really thinking about scoring a touchdown. I'm thinking about taking advantage of every opportunity I have and making the best out of the play."

JETS IN RUSH TO IMPROVE GROUND GAME

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 17, 2007 -- The Jets traded for Thomas Jones and signed him to a $20 million contract to provide the consistent impact in their running game they haven't had since Curtis Martin's career ended prematurely in 2005.

Through nine games, Jones has not provided that impact. He might, in fact, have the quietest and least productive 606 rushing yards in the NFL.

This is not a good time to be struggling in the running game considering the Jets' opponents tomorrow at Giants Stadium, the Pittsburgh Steelers, own the No. 1 ranking in almost every key defensive category - including run defense, allowing 72 yards per game.

The Jets average 94.6 yards per game on the ground, so they should be perfect fodder for the Steelers' hungry defense.

The Jets' woes in the running game, it should be made clear, are not all Jones' fault. It's just that he's the high-paid centerpiece to this puzzle that has been jumbled since the day he arrived. Oddly enough, Jones is ranked seventh in the AFC and 11th in the NFL in rushing yards, though he has two 100-yard games.

The fallout from the trade between the Jets and the Bears, designed to make both teams better, has been one of the most curious stories the league has seen this year.

It has done little to improve the Jets' running game and has made Chicago's running game, now led by Cedric Benson and ranked 30th in the NFL, worse.

Eric Mangini, when asked about his 22nd-ranked rushing offense, continually says it's a collective effort lacking consistency.

Translation: The blocking hasn't been good enough.

Brandon Moore, the Jets' starting right guard, didn't disagree with that assessment.

"The O-linemen are disappointed in the fact that we haven't helped Thomas and Leon (Washington) as much as we'd like to," Moore said. "One of reasons we brought (Jones) here (was to improve the running game) and the job hasn't been fulfilled."

In defense of Jones and the offensive line, the coaching staff must take a hit here, too, because they have not stayed committed enough to the running game. That has hurt any little rhythm they've been able to muster.

"You've got to run the ball," one offensive player who requested anonymity told The Post yesterday.

When another offensive player was asked how it's possible Jones doesn't have a single rushing touchdown this season despite having 160 carries, he rolled his eyes.

"I'd better not say anything to hurt my job," he said.

Jones said the politically correct things when talking about the lack of commitment to the running game.

"My job is not to call the plays," Jones said. "My job is not to come up with the game plan. I do what I'm asked to do. I take advantage of the opportunities when I have them."

Jones said he has a great relationship with Mangini. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said, "I talk to (Mangini and Jones) on a regular basis."

Schottenheimer didn't come out and concede there has been a lack of commitment to the running game, but he did say the coaches assessed things during the bye week.

"I can do a better job in a lot of ways," Schottenheimer said.

One of those ways is to not abandon the running game, which is something the Jets have done on occasion this year.

"That's a patience you have to have as a offense," Moore said. "If you have the luxury to stick with it and the score doesn't get out of hand and you're not trying to come back, those runs open up in the fourth quarter."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Thomas Jones hoping Jets can finally fly on the ground after 1-8 start

BY KRISTIE ACKERT

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, November 17th 2007, 4:00 AM

Thomas Jones rushed for 1,210 and six touchdowns last season for the Bears, but has yet to find the end zone for the Jets.

Thomas Jones hasn't scored on any of his 160 carries as a Jet. But after helping the Bears to the Super Bowl last season, Jones doesn't miss the end zone nearly as much as he misses winning.

"You get frustrated because things aren't going the way that you want them to go," Jones said yesterday. "There are 11 guys on the field and everyone has to do their job to be successful. All you can do is continue to work hard, stay with it - the offense, the game plan and the guys on the offense - and eventually good things will happen."

The question is whether "eventually" means tomorrow against the Steelers (7-2), who have the NFL's top-ranked total defense and rushing defense. Pittsburgh has allowed opponents only 72 yards per game on the ground and 3.7 per carry. Jones has averaged 67.3 yards per game and 3.8 per rush.

The Jets (1-8) acquired Jones from Chicago, where he ran for 1,210 yards and six touchdowns last season, and signed him to a four-year, $20 million deal to fill the void left when Curtis Martin retired.

"When you're struggling as a team and you're not shocking the world in the passing game, (opponents) are going to say, 'You're not going to run against us,'" said Martin, who will be honored at halftime tomorrow. "That's the view you have to expect as a running back. You have to bear that burden, that pressure."

Nobody has done that for the Jets, who have gone 132 rushes without a touchdown since Leon Washington's 8-yard score on Sept.30 at Buffalo. It's the longest drought in the NFL.

Even worse, the Jets have not scored a rushing touchdown on the Steelers in their last eight meetings, including the 2004 divisional playoff. The last time it happened: Oct.30, 1988, by Freeman McNeil. That streak is likely to be extended as the Steelers have allowed only two rushing touchdowns this season.

Chad to Kellen has not changed game plans much

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

November 17, 2007

Is this the weekend of Kellen unplugged?

An unspoken impetus in the Jets' change from Chad Pennington to Kellen Clemens as the starting quarterback was Clemens' stronger arm.

Though Clemens showed superior arm strength on several throws in the Nov. 4 loss to Washington, his yards-per-attempt that game was 5.4. In Pennington's last start, a 13-3 loss to Buffalo on Oct. 28, his yards-per-attempt was 5.3. Coach Eric Mangini said not to make too much of the statistic.

"Well, he [Clemens] had the deep one there to Jerricho [Cotchery] on the over route in overtime," Mangini said of a 39-yarder against the Redskins. "He had the one to Leon that we weren't quite able to connect to . A lot of times with averages, you hit one or two big plays and that average shifts dramatically."

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, perhaps in an attempt to avoid downgrading Pennington, said game-planning with Clemens isn't much different than with Pennington.

"Not really," Schottenheimer said Friday. "The system's the same. The biggest thing you see is certain quarterbacks like different plays more than others. The plays are really the same; how you design them each week is a little bit different. But there are some plays that Kellen likes maybe more than Chad."

Schottenheimer did not bite when asked if some of those plays are of the deeper variety, though earlier in the interview, again without denigrating Pennington, he said Clemens' arm is a decided strength.

"Kellen gets good velocity on the ball," Schottenheimer said. "He's what I would call a good full-body-motion guy. He gets his torso, his hips and everything into it and it comes out with pretty good velocity."

Of course, the velocity Sunday could be provided by on-rushing Steelers defenders, a unit ranking first in the league in almost every defensive category: total yards (229.4), rushing yards (72.0), passing yards (157.4) and points (14).

Said Schottenheimer, "We have to execute the plays that are called. I have to get a sense for what is going on in the game. Ultimately, we're going to call the plays, run or pass, that we feel are working and adjust as we go."

Steelers click with Big Ben

Roethlisberger doing it all

Saturday, November 17, 2007

BY JENNY VRENTAS

Star-Ledger Staff

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, at 6-5 and 241 pounds, isn't shaped much like a snake, but Shaun Ellis swears he moves like one.

"He's worming out, twisting out, spinning," the Jets defensive end said yesterday. "He's one of the hardest (NFL quarterbacks) to take down."

Being brawny but mobile is an essential part of Roethlisberger's game. So are things like knowing when to stay in the pocket and when to scramble. Those ingredients make the 25-year-old Roethlisberger a tough task for the Jets' 30th-ranked defense tomorrow afternoon at the Meadowlands.

Now in his fourth NFL season, Roethlisberger has developed far past his rookie year, when his task was simply to monitor the offense, and his slumping 2006 season. This year, he has the highest quarterback rating of his career (110.2), along with 22 touchdowns and just seven interceptions, making Tom Brady the only quarterback to have more scoring passes and less picks.

"He's just more composed now, and he knows when to take chances," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "This year, he has made a lot of plays for them to win the game. He has definitely come into that role."

The most recent example, oft-noted around the Jets' locker room yesterday, was in last week's game against Cleveland, when Roethlisberger's 30-yard touchdown scramble kept alive Pittsburgh's fourth-quarter comeback in a 31-28 Steelers victory. In Week 9, he put away the game against Baltimore by throwing five first-half touchdowns on the Ravens' vaunted defense.

Roethlisberger is dangerous, Jets defensive coordinator Bob Sutton said, especially because of his propensity for making something out of busted plays. Sutton calls it "extending the play," which not only negates any route-reading or pattern recognition by the defense, but is also nearly impossible to game-plan for.

"You can't really draw it up and say, this is what's going to happen," Sutton said. "(Roethlisberger) doesn't know what's going to happen. Each of these that we're going to see this Sunday is going to be brand new."

Instead of just being a game manager, Roethlisberger is now a game- changer. Complemented by a solid ground game with Willie Parker, a strong offensive line, dangerous receivers Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes and a quality tight end, Heath Miller, Roethlisberger has led the Steelers to 7-2 mark, tied for second-best in the AFC.

After a 27-4 record as a starter in his first two seasons, plus a Super Bowl title, Roethlisberger struggled in 2006 following a motorcycle crash and an appendectomy in Week 1. That year, he threw 18 touchdowns and a league-high 23 interceptions. But he has already passed that touchdown total this season, as well as rushing for 135 yards on 18 carries.

"For me, his game is continually evolving," first-year Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "Like all young guys, he gets better with every snap. He's at that point of his career where he's seizing that and becoming a seasoned veteran."

Speaking with reporters for the first time in nearly two weeks, Jets RB Thomas Jones said it is "definitely surprising" that he hasn't scored this season but didn't call for more opportunities to carry the football.

"Everybody gets paid to do a job. My job is not to call the plays, my job is not to come up with the game plan," said Jones, who has 160 carries for 606 yards through nine games. "Everyone can have a suggestion but, at the end of the day, whatever's called you have to run it. ... I do what I'm asked to do."

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said yesterday that the coaching staff didn't think it had abandoned the running game too quickly this season, attributing the limited number of rushing attempts to "different things in each game."

Jets FB Stacy Tutt (knee) and Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) have been ruled out of tomorrow's game.

Jenny Vrentas may be reached at

jvrentas@starledger.com

Revis gets guidance from Gilbert

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

Published: Friday, November 16, 2007 12:18 AM EST

By his own admission, the Darrelle Revis success story might not be possible without two significant influences in his life. One is his mother. The other is his uncle.

The New York Jets

Jets back from bye and hoping for win

Gang Green returns from a bye against a tough Steelers team

By Dylan Butler / SNY.tv

It's unlikely that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will have any trouble with the Jets' pass rush. (AP)

print this pageemail this page

The Jets are back! You remember the Jets, don't you? OK, so you'd rather forget about the first half of the season, the 1-8 record, the miserable run defense and the equally anemic offense.

A year ago, Gang Green played much better after the bye week, going 6-2 and earning a Wild Card bid.

So, will history repeat itself? Probably not, but there is a good reason to be excited about Sunday's game against Pittsburgh. And his name is Curtis Martin.

The future Hall of Famer and future NFL team owner will be honored at halftime at the Meadowlands Sunday. He officially retired July 26 as the Jets' all-time leading rusher with 14,101 yards (good for fourth all-time in the NFL), on 3,518 carries (third all-time) and 100 touchdowns.

"He's a great example in terms of being a true pro, an outstanding person and an outstanding member of the community." Jets coach Eric Mangini said of Martin. "I know he's doing a lot of different things with his career after football, and I couldn't be happier for him."

Martin spent eight wonderful seasons with the Jets, who have yet to find his replacement. Thomas Jones was expected to be the featured back, but he has rushed for 606 yards -- an average of 3.6 yards per carry -- and has no touchdowns.

"You see that with different backs in the league and you see that with different teams around the league where you think the average should be higher," Mangini said. "But if you don't have each side, each person and each element working together, then you can't have the consistency. You're always looking for consistency in the running game."

The Steelers have no such problem, not with Willie Parker, who has rushed for 873 yards and a pair of touchdowns this season. And Ben Roethlisberger is coming off a career-high 49 rushing yards in a 31-28 dramatic victory over Cleveland.

"They are a tough and physical team," Kerry Rhodes said. "They like to run the ball and we have had some problems with that. They have good receivers, as well...It is going to be a big challenge."

With the Jets' non-existent pass rush -- its nine sacks are tied for the fewest in the league -- it's doubtful Big Ben will need to be mobile at all. While Peyton Manning and Tom Brady get all the notoriety, Roethlisberger has thrown for 2,020 yards and 22 touchdowns, six shy of the franchise record set by Terry Bradshaw in 1978. He's completed 66.1 percent of his passes and his quarterback rating of 110.2 is second behind Brady (131.8).

"For me, his game is continually evolving," said Steelers first-year head coach Mike Tomlin. "He's a guy that has a unique blend of youth and experience. I think a lot of times people judge him off of what he did as a young guy because he was part of a Super Bowl championship team...Like all young guys, he gets better with every snap."

Roethlisberger's got several targets, too, including Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller.

"It's great having him out there," Roethlisberger said of Ward. "He brings leadership not just to the team, but to the young receivers that we have. He's a guy that defenses always watching for so that opens up other guys."

Conversely, Kellen Clemens has thrown for 588 yards and two touchdowns in a pair of losses.

"Getting the first start was good," Clemens said. "Getting a chance to get some extra reps over the course of the bye week was good. Also, having a chance to take a few days off and recharge the battery was good."

The second-year quarterback, though, will have Laveranues Coles back in the lineup after the Jets top receiver saw his string of 104 consecutive regular-season starts snapped when he sat out the Washington game with a concussion. Coles is the Jets' leading receiver with six touchdowns this season.

"I'm practicing and happy to be back out there with the guys," Coles said. "You never know how important something is until you face certain situations in your life. I realized how much I love this game of football and I'm ready to get back out there and start playing."

Led by James Harrison, who has a team-high 57 tackles, six sacks and six forced fumbles, Pittsburgh (7-2) leads the NFL, allowing 14.0 points per game and 248.2 yards per game. That doesn't bode well for a Jets team that is 2-16 all-time vs. the Steelers and has lost six straight games.

"They do a great job of just getting after it," Jerricho Cotchery said. "All 11 guys fly around the entire game. When you have guys flying around like that and making plays, it can cause a lot of havoc."

Dylan Butler is a regular contributor to SNY.tv.

The Sporting News

October 11, 1999

Draft watch - possible top ten quarterbacks that may be selected in the 2000

Quarterbacks

Though the 2000 quarterback crop pales in comparison to the 1999 class, this isn't a bad group of passers. If Purdue junior Drew Brees enters the draft, then it's likely three quarterbacks will be taken in the first round.

1. Chris Redman, Louisville, 6-3, 215. Accurate and intelligent--a good combination for a QB. Throws better than Tim Couch or Peyton Manning, the last two No. 1 picks. Has courage in the pocket. Doesn't have great feet.

2. Chad Pennington, Marshall, 6-3, 220. Randy Moss' old QB is one of the most productive passers in NCAA history. Strong arm. Heady player. Isn't a great athlete but can elude pressure.

3. Drew Brees, Purdue, 6-1, 212.]This junior could end up as the best of the group. Has all the intangibles. Makes good decisions. Doesn't have a big arm, but can make most of the throws and has been ultra productive. This year's Cade McNown.

4. Tee Martin, Tennessee, 6-3, 215. Great arm and throws a pretty ball, but isn't always accurate. Raw product has potential to improve, and has the right attitude to do so.

5. Tim Rattay, Louisiana Tech, 6-1, 200. Has been very productive, but probably is a product of the system. Throws a lot of short passes. Has an ordinary arm.

6. Marc Bulger, West Virginia, 6-3, 210. Has a quick release, but a pop-gun arm. Competitive and smart. Can move in the pocket.

7. Tom Brady, Michigan, 6-5, 213. Classic, tall, drop-back passer with a decent arm. Has improved his play and could continue to rise.Could be an NFL backup.

8. Giovanni Carmazzi, Hofstra, 6-3, 220. Sturdy quarterback who has played against a lower level of competition and run a funky offense. Has decent speed. Accurate on the short routes.

9. Joe Hamilton, Georgia Tech, 5-10, 189. Option QB is a winner, but probably too small for the NFL. Has enough athleticism that he could try to convert to receiver.

10. Doug Johnson, Florida, 6-2, 217. Has a decent arm, but could be a product of the system. Makes some poor decisions. Doesn't move real well.

COPYRIGHT 1999 Sporting News Publishing Co.

The Sporting News

October 11, 1999

Draft watch - possible top ten quarterbacks that may be selected in the 2000

Quarterbacks

Though the 2000 quarterback crop pales in comparison to the 1999 class, this isn't a bad group of passers. If Purdue junior Drew Brees enters the draft, then it's likely three quarterbacks will be taken in the first round.

1. Chris Redman, Louisville, 6-3, 215. Accurate and intelligent--a good combination for a QB. Throws better than Tim Couch or Peyton Manning, the last two No. 1 picks. Has courage in the pocket. Doesn't have great feet.

2. Chad Pennington, Marshall, 6-3, 220. Randy Moss' old QB is one of the most productive passers in NCAA history. Strong arm. Heady player. Isn't a great athlete but can elude pressure.

3. Drew Brees, Purdue, 6-1, 212.]This junior could end up as the best of the group. Has all the intangibles. Makes good decisions. Doesn't have a big arm, but can make most of the throws and has been ultra productive. This year's Cade McNown.

4. Tee Martin, Tennessee, 6-3, 215. Great arm and throws a pretty ball, but isn't always accurate. Raw product has potential to improve, and has the right attitude to do so.

5. Tim Rattay, Louisiana Tech, 6-1, 200. Has been very productive, but probably is a product of the system. Throws a lot of short passes. Has an ordinary arm.

6. Marc Bulger, West Virginia, 6-3, 210. Has a quick release, but a pop-gun arm. Competitive and smart. Can move in the pocket.

7. Tom Brady, Michigan, 6-5, 213. Classic, tall, drop-back passer with a decent arm. Has improved his play and could continue to rise.Could be an NFL backup.

8. Giovanni Carmazzi, Hofstra, 6-3, 220. Sturdy quarterback who has played against a lower level of competition and run a funky offense. Has decent speed. Accurate on the short routes.

9. Joe Hamilton, Georgia Tech, 5-10, 189. Option QB is a winner, but probably too small for the NFL. Has enough athleticism that he could try to convert to receiver.

10. Doug Johnson, Florida, 6-2, 217. Has a decent arm, but could be a product of the system. Makes some poor decisions. Doesn't move real well.

COPYRIGHT 1999 Sporting News Publishing Co.

Ok this is really funny. I will have to sig part of this.

Archived