Report: Bonds is training, would like to play in 2008

Lil Bit Special

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3143814

With his arraignment looming on Friday in San Francisco federal court, Barry Bonds' agent says the all-time home run king has designs on playing baseball in 2008, according to a published report.

"He's training currently and he'd like to come back in 2008 to put a World Series ring on his finger," Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris, told MLB.com. "Barry definitely wants to continue playing. So I'm actively pursuing jobs for him from teams that are committed to winning."

Bonds was indicted on four counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice in November for allegedly lying to the grand jury when he testified he did not knowingly use performance-enhancing drugs. He's expected to plead not guilty.

Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland, who doesn't think Bonds would be a good fit for his team, said he spoke to the slugger about next season recently.

"I talked to him a couple of days ago, and I think he wants to play," Leyland told The San Francisco Chronicle on Monday. "I certainly would like to see him play. Absolutely. I know he's been working out. I know he's in great shape. I don't know where the fit will be for him, but I certainly hope there's one."

Borris doesn't think any legal proceedings would prohibit Bonds from taking the field next season.

"Barry's legal situation should not conflict with the 2008 baseball season," Borris told the Web site. Borris added that Bonds' numbers in 2007 prove his client is worthy of a major league roster spot. Bonds, who earned $19.3 million last season, batted .276 with 28 home runs in just 340 at-bats. He also had 66 RBI and a .565 slugging percentage.

I think the Mets should sign him to be a pinch hitter. Since they will be losing every game when we get to the 9th, we could use a power hitter off the bench.:)

Archived