Schiano to stay at Rutgers

Lil Bit Special

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3145205&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Two days after flirting with the Michigan job, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano has decided he will stay in New Jersey.

"I was contacted earlier this week about the Michigan coaching vacancy, but I have decided to remove my name from consideration," Schiano said in a statement released by the university Friday. "I look forward to our third straight bowl game and to bringing a national championship to Rutgers and the state of New Jersey. "I will have no further comment."

Schiano, 41, spoke with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin on Wednesday in New York about his vacancy but decided not to pursue it any further. Schiano spurned an opportunity after last season to coach at the University of Miami.

Where Michigan turns now is unknown. Presumed leading candidate Les Miles of LSU signed a new contract on Thursday to stay in Baton Rouge.

Coach Lloyd Carr announced his retirement Nov. 19, two days after Michigan completed an 8-4 regular season. Schiano, the Big East Coach of the Year in 2006, is 37-46 in seven seasons as Scarlet Knights coach. Rutgers will play Ball State in the International Bowl on Jan. 6.

Archived