It’s Official; Jets Exercise Vera-Tucker Fifth-Year Option

Jet Nation

With the deadline looming for teams to pick up or decline the fifth-year option on players drafted in 2021, the Jets have officially exercised Alijah Vera-Tucker’s option.  GM Joe Douglas said last week that the team would be picking up the option.

OFFICIAL: We've picked up OL Alijah Vera-Tucker's fifth-year option.

📰 https://t.co/YSITgHKvMZ pic.twitter.com/yvyTh47EYs

— New York Jets (@nyjets) April 30, 2024

Despite battling injuries over the past two seasons, Vera-Tucker’s high level play and exemplary character made it an easy call for Joe Douglas and company.

The 14th pick of the 2021 draft, Vera-Tucker played in sixteen of the team’s 17 games as a rookie but would then miss ten contests in 2022 and another twelve in 2023.

He proved his value on multiple occasions by lining up everywhere on the offensive line except for center.  But even still, his durability is a concern, but one the Jets are clearly willing to overlook for the time being.

The post It’s Official; Jets Exercise Vera-Tucker Fifth-Year Option appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TexJet said:

You really have to ask that? Interesting.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love it.  Great move by Joe D.

Not a JD fan but this move is the correct move at this point in time.   But we'll know by week 6.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

So we don't  pick up Becton's option because he was hurt all the time but we pick up AVT's because.....

really??? I guess you never watched them play. 

• Thumb Down 2

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

So we don't  pick up Becton's option because he was hurt all the time but we pick up AVT's because.....

Because he's far more mature, has a better work ethic and has been less injured than Becton was.

• WTF? 1

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

AVT is actually Good. And AVT has been playing out of position getting hurt just trying to help the team. 

becton showing up at 400lbs and barely able to walk. Then getting to hurt is not the same thing.  And i  actually like becton think

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Not a JD fan but this move is the correct move at this point in time.   But we'll know by week 6.

they dont travel to denver this year so he should be ok

Denver does come to jersey though so maybe he has a nagging injury that keeps him out of that game - just in case.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/04/28/ny-jets-to-pick-up-alijah-vera-tuckers-fifth-year-option/

• With Vera-Tucker, 2022-23: 250 carries, 4.78 yards per carry (4th), 10 TD, -0.02 EPA per rush (9th), 39.2% success rate (24th)
  • Without Vera-Tucker, 2022-23: 465 carries, 3.85 yards per carry (29th), 7 TD, -0.18 EPA per rush (31st), 32.9% success rate (32nd)

If this dude could just stay healthy. At least we don't play Denver this year.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Because:

1. He's a better player than Becton

2. He can play any position on the offensive line but center, and has played every position on the line.  Becton:  "I am a Left Tackle".

3.  AVT never showed up to camp out of shape.  Becton ballooned his weight and was out of shape his second year in.

4. AVT never blamed the Jets for his injuries, even though the Jets moved him around the line, and even Saleh acknowledged that moving him around may have contributed to his injuries.  Becton outright blamed the Jets when they moved him to right tackle for that injury.

5. When playing, Becton gave up 16 penalties last year, and led the team in penalties and sacks with giving up 12 last year.

Other than that, you are 100% correct.  There was no other reason not to pick up Becton's 5th year option.

Some good news. As I posted in more detail in the dead cap thread, our current Over the Cap available cap space number of 71.9 million already reflects the AVT extension.

16 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Because one has a promising future and the other doesn't and also displays the opposite personality that they want here.

But you knew all that.  Not sure why you ask. It would be pretty awful if they let AVT go after the season which is the likeliest result if they don't exercise the 5th.

16 hours ago, TexJet said:

You really have to ask that? Interesting.

Oh wait, Becton being out of shape led to injuries. What is AVT's excuse. What is amazing is this guy hasn't  played, and we have no idea how he will play when he comes back from his injury but let's  pick up his option anyway so in case he hurts himself again, we have another season to wait. I'd lime to see if he can stay on the field. This is the second season in a row he has sustained a season ending injury. 

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Because he's far more mature, has a better work ethic and has been less injured than Becton was.

Lol. No he hasn't. What, he played a few more games. Becton and AVT have had the same amount of season ending injuries early in the season. Granted Becton had one in camp but what is the difference. They both missed two seasons

7 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

AVT is actually Good. And AVT has been playing out of position getting hurt just trying to help the team. 

becton showing up at 400lbs and barely able to walk. Then getting to hurt is not the same thing.  And i  actually like becton think

AVT looks to me like he can't  hold up for an entire season. I don't see how this makes him a good player despite his talent. It's  2 years in a row. 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Because:

1. He's a better player than Becton

2. He can play any position on the offensive line but center, and has played every position on the line.  Becton:  "I am a Left Tackle".

3.  AVT never showed up to camp out of shape.  Becton ballooned his weight and was out of shape his second year in.

4. AVT never blamed the Jets for his injuries, even though the Jets moved him around the line, and even Saleh acknowledged that moving him around may have contributed to his injuries.  Becton outright blamed the Jets when they moved him to right tackle for that injury.

5. When playing, Becton gave up 16 penalties last year, and led the team in penalties and sacks with giving up 12 last year.

Other than that, you are 100% correct.  There was no other reason not to pick up Becton's 5th year option.

Oh, I'm not saying we should have retained Becton, his play fell way off from his rookie season, I'm saying g what has AVT done to earn this. He can't  play T because when he does he gets  hurt in major ways. 

If he stays healthy this season, I'll admit I'm  wrong but right now, this is a mistake

44 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Because one has a promising future and the other doesn't and also displays the opposite personality that they want here.

But you knew all that.  Not sure why you ask. It would be pretty awful if they let AVT go after the season which is the likeliest result if they don't exercise the 5th.

Oh please, listen to you. The guy has been a disaster. When he gets hurt it's  not for a game or 3, it's  a whole season. 2 years in a row we have had this. What other OL who is highly regarded has this issue. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh please, listen to you. The guy has been a disaster. When he gets hurt it's  not for a game or 3, it's  a whole season. 2 years in a row we have had this. What other OL who is highly regarded has this issue. 

No... listen to yourself.   His injuries?  Yeah... when the idiots at the Jets stick him at OT, where he does not belong, he's gotten hurt.  At guard, where he belongs, not so much. The talent is there and the potential is there.  It would have been a really dumb move to make him a lame-duck OL for this season.  Really... I can't think of a worse decision that the Jets could make with him than to keep him aboard without exercising the option.   

45 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh, I'm not saying we should have retained Becton, his play fell way off from his rookie season, I'm saying g what has AVT done to earn this. He can't  play T because when he does he gets  hurt in major ways. 

If he stays healthy this season, I'll admit I'm  wrong but right now, this is a mistake

That's not the way it works.  It can't be a mistake now and you be wrong later.  It's a risk that you don't like?  Okay.  We hope they have more knowledge on that than us, but I get it.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No... listen to yourself.   His injuries?  Yeah... when the idiots at the Jets stick him at OT, where he does not belong, he's gotten hurt.  At guard, where he belongs, not so much. The talent is there and the potential is there.  It would have been a really dumb move to make him a lame-duck OL for this season.  Really... I can't think of a worse decision that the Jets could make with him than to keep him aboard without exercising the option.   

Let's see if he stays healthy this season. I have heard the he gets hurt playing OT excuse. He is blocking DT's as a G who are bigger and more physical than edge rushers he faces as an OT. I'm not saying either is a cake walk but I would say the more physically demanding position is G. OT takes more overall talent but G you are blocking much bigger lineman. How is that position less injuries prone? Your job is literally to smash into the guy in front of you.