Why the field goals you ask?

GreenBeans

You didnt respond to this post, nor did you win anything LJ, except for the Drink the Mangini Koolaid Award, LOL.

I tried to break it down for you as best i could, using the pct you asked about. You got caught between arguing with JGB about whether EM was a moron, and arguing whether it was the right or best coaching decision to make. Clearly, it was not a good coaching decision.

Oh all right, let's talk percentages, because a lot of decision making in sports comes down to pct.

Remember my prior post?

The Jets forced the browns to punt on 7 out of 12 third downs. That is better than fifty per cent (not great, but that is what it was).

What were the percentages that the Jets would recover a second OSK?

Before you answer, consider this: there were three OSks and the Jets recovered one. that is 33%, less than the percentage of third down stops.

Now, let's go a step further. If the jets dont recover the OSK, but hold the browns and force a kick, or they kicked deep and hold the browns, which is the better scenario:

-receive punt on their own 30-35 with a possible leon PR and start from there.

-hope that the browns miss a FG, or at best receive a punt inside their twenty and start from there.

The Jets tried the least likely-to-succeed scenario, and by your reasoning, the entire game really came down to recovering the OSK, rather than giving the team a chance to make a play in the other scenarios.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh all right, let's talk percentages, because a lot of decision making in sports comes down to pct.

Remember my prior post?

The Jets forced the browns to punt on 7 out of 12 third downs. That is better than fifty per cent (not great, but that is what it was). How many three-and-outs? One, JC, just one the whole game.

What were the percentages that the Jets would recover a second OSK?

Before you answer, consider this: there were three OSks and the Jets recovered one. that is 33%, less than the percentage of third down stops.

I don't really count the third one, it was pretty much over by then. A miracle we still even had a chance at that point, really.

Now, let's go a step further. If the jets dont recover the OSK, but hold the browns and force a kick, or they kicked deep and hold the browns, which is the better scenario:

-receive punt on their own 30-35 with a possible leon PR and start from there.

-hope that the browns miss a FG, or at best receive a punt inside their twenty and start from there.

of course the better scenario is to have them deep, but that's "if" they don't get the onside recovery. And Leon wasn't haven't a great day on returns.

The Jets tried the least likely-to-succeed scenario, and by your reasoning, the entire game really came down to recovering the OSK, rather than giving the team a chance to make a play in the other scenarios.

What can I say. Mangini must have felt it was the best chance to win, that's why he called it. And by taking everything into account, while it may not have been the best or only way to win, I don't think it was as crazy or obscene as you do.

:)

You didnt respond to this post, nor did you win anything LJ, except for the Drink the Mangini Koolaid Award, LOL.

I tried to break it down for you as best i could, using the pct you asked about. You got caught between arguing with JGB about whether EM was a moron, and arguing whether it was the right or best coaching decision to make. Clearly, it was not a good coaching decision.

You didn't win either. :gfight:

Archived