2024 offensive tackles

derp

Figure we have the QB thread for a huge long (and potentially short) term question with a strong class, may as well bring back the tackle thread for a huge short term question with a strong class.

Brown and Becton are free agents after this year. No real indication yet Warren or Mitchell will be able to step into a starting role capably after this year.

Eight of the top 40 prospects in Dane Brugler’s initial top 50 are offensive tackles.

4. Olu Fashanu, Penn State

5. Amarius Mims, Georgia

10. JC Latham, Alabama

16. Joe Alt, Notre Dame

22. Patrick Paul, Houston

31. Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma

32. Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

38. Jordan Morgan, Arizona

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, derp said:

Figure we have the QB thread for a huge long (and potentially short) term question with a strong class, may as well bring back the tackle thread for a huge short term question with a strong class.

Brown and Becton are free agents after this year. No real indication yet Warren or Mitchell will be able to step into a starting role capably after this year.

Eight of the top 40 prospects in Dane Brugler’s initial top 50 are offensive tackles.

4. Olu Fashanu, Penn State

5. Amarius Mims, Georgia

10. JC Latham, Alabama

16. Joe Alt, Notre Dame

22. Patrick Paul, Houston

31. Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma

32. Kingsley Suamataia, BYU

38. Jordan Morgan, Arizona

Pretty strong class IMO.  I expect Alt to go top-10.  Latham looks like a future RT which would still work for us if we bring back Becton and move him to LT.  Suamataia is a guy people expect to skyrocket up draft boards as well.  

If we don't go QB, this would be the obvious route to take.  Assuming a guy like Bowers isn't on the board where you just can't pass him up.  My preference though would probably be draft the QB, franchise Becton and move him back to LT, then sign a cheap veteran and have him compete with Mitchell and Warren at RT.  I think Mitchell gets shat on a lot around here but he's coming off the blood clot issue and looked pretty good prior to that.  I still have faith in him being a player for us.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This will be our pick.  I'd bet on it.  Rodgers coming back, Brown looks about done we will be picking a tackle even if we have to trade up to get the guy we want.  Will have to keep an eye on the guys mentioned in this thread.

They have to get a tackle.

They won't use their only high draft pick on a QB with 1 year of Rodgers left.   Furthermore, no QB can succeed with this current line.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious to see how this version of the line looks going forward.  All things considered they looked pretty solid in pass protection.  They got beat a couple of times but overall they gave Zach time to throw, and that was with a short week of working together, 2 guys playing new positions, and a rookie making his first start(out of position).  

If Becton re-signs/gets franchised and AVT ends up sticking at RT, then no you don't have to take an OT round 1.  In theory you could be looking at Becton-Tomlinson-Tippmann-________-AVT next year.  You could easily draft a starting RG in the 2nd(Cooper Beebe, Christian Mahogany, Christian Haynes) if you trade up from the 3rd, trade down from the 1st, or move a guy like Huff before the deadline for another decent pick.  Add in a relatively cheap veteran on a 1 year deal to compete with him, and you're good to go IMO.  

Again, assuming we have something with this version of the line, which I think we do.  At this point it's all about Becton's durability and whether or not Tomlinson has turned a corner.  He's looked decent now two weeks in a row.  

• Upvote 1

I am hoping Becton can lock down the LT position this year + stay healthy, but with Rodgers returning for maybe another couple of seasons we'll still need to take a OT in free agency or high in the draft (not Tunsil high, just a high round pick).

Since I seriously doubt we'll be picking QB, it would be great to be picking in the top 5 and trade down as much as possible and load up on some draft capital to potentially draft Rodgers' replace in 2025 or 2026. 

In the meantime...beef up that OL.

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2023 at 9:46 AM, bonkertons said:

I'm curious to see how this version of the line looks going forward.  All things considered they looked pretty solid in pass protection.  They got beat a couple of times but overall they gave Zach time to throw, and that was with a short week of working together, 2 guys playing new positions, and a rookie making his first start(out of position).  

If Becton re-signs/gets franchised and AVT ends up sticking at RT, then no you don't have to take an OT round 1.  In theory you could be looking at Becton-Tomlinson-Tippmann-________-AVT next year.  You could easily draft a starting RG in the 2nd(Cooper Beebe, Christian Mahogany, Christian Haynes) if you trade up from the 3rd, trade down from the 1st, or move a guy like Huff before the deadline for another decent pick.  Add in a relatively cheap veteran on a 1 year deal to compete with him, and you're good to go IMO.  

Again, assuming we have something with this version of the line, which I think we do.  At this point it's all about Becton's durability and whether or not Tomlinson has turned a corner.  He's looked decent now two weeks in a row.  

I still cannot fathom the thought process of not moving AVT over to RT before camp ever started. This whole argument "YOU DONT MOVE A PREMIUM GUARD TO TACKLE" argument is nonsense. AVT excelled at RT last year and would continue to do so after being moved over full time.

+ The Jets already opened Pandora's box by moving him to RT last year and his agent(s) will be looking for him to get paid like a tackle not a guard when contract time comes. You're not paying premium bucks for a guard which is much more likely to fill and replace than tackle.

That's all I got, thanks for having me.

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I still cannot fathom the thought process of not moving AVT over to RT before camp ever started. This whole argument "YOU DONT MOVE A PREMIUM GUARD TO TACKLE" argument is nonsense. AVT excelled at RT last year and would continue to do so after being moved over full time.

+ The Jets already opened Pandora's box by moving him to RT last year and his agent(s) will be looking for him to get paid like a tackle not a guard when contract time comes. You're not paying premium bucks for a guard which is much more likely to fill and replace than tackle.

I think when everything shakes out, the jets will take a tackle in round 1 and then take a qb in the 3rd.  It’s shaping up to be a good draft for tackles, and odds are someone on that line is getting hurt this year and will miss games.  It’s a chalk call unless they win 3 more games this year and then they’re in a position to get a top qb. 

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I am hoping Becton can lock down the LT position this year + stay healthy, but with Rodgers returning for maybe another couple of seasons we'll still need to take a OT in free agency or high in the draft (not Tunsil high, just a high round pick).

Since I seriously doubt we'll be picking QB, it would be great to be picking in the top 5 and trade down as much as possible and load up on some draft capital to potentially draft Rodgers' replace in 2025 or 2026. 

In the meantime...beef up that OL.

I'm confused.  Didn't Tunsil go 13?  Becton was drafted higher than him, no? 

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think when everything shakes out, the jets will take a tackle in round 1 and then take a qb in the 3rd.  It’s shaping up to be a good draft for tackles, and odds are someone on that line is getting hurt this year and will miss games.  It’s a chalk call unless they win 3 more games this year and then they’re in a position to get a top qb. 

Trade down in the 1st and take Bo Nix bottom of round 1 / top of 2 (with the acquired picks from the trade down) ?....

20 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Trade down in the 1st and take Bo Nix bottom of round 1 / top of 2 (with the acquired picks from the trade down) ?....

Depending on where they’re picking, yes, a trade back seems plausible.  The michigan and duke qbs could also be targets.  I just hope they don’t get scared of rodgers when he tells them not take a qb. 

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Depending on where they’re picking, yes, a trade back seems plausible.  The michigan and duke qbs could also be targets.  I just hope they don’t get scared of rodgers when he tells them not take a qb. 

I think it will all be a negotiated balance between FO + AR8, meaning....

Woody: "Hey Rodge..."

Rodgers: "Don't call me Rodge..."

Woody: "uhh..uhh sorry sir...anywho....JD wants..."

Douglas: "Don't call me JD"

Woody: "Maybe you should just go..."

Chris Johnson: "You guys order lunch yet? I'm thinking thaaaiiii..."

Douglas: "Aaron we're thinking of taking a QB in the first if one is there that we like"

Rodgers: "If you pass up on OL and WR in the 1st round then you better make sure you secure it in free agency"

Chris Johnson: "So not feeling Thai? Kinda feeling pad Thai....alright..."

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think it will all be a negotiated balance between FO + AR8, meaning....

Woody: "Hey Rodge..."

Rodgers: "Don't call me Rodge..."

Woody: "uhh..uhh sorry sir...anywho....JD wants..."

Douglas: "Don't call me JD"

Woody: "Maybe you should just go..."

Chris Johnson: "You guys order lunch yet? I'm thinking thaaaiiii..."

Douglas: "Aaron we're thinking of taking a QB in the first if one is there that we like"

Rodgers: "If you pass up on OL and WR in the 1st round then you better make sure you secure it in free agency"

Chris Johnson: "So not feeling Thai? Kinda feeling pad Thai....alright..."

Hopefully the OL hangs together this year.  But douglas has to bring in a qb prospect in this deep draft or else why is he the gm?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think it's easy to say this stuff now, but during the preseason Brown was considered the "safe" bet at OT, to the point where Becton was playing with the 2nd stringers for most of camp.  I think the best chance this team had of a high-end OL was most likely with Brown, Becton and AVT all in the lineup.  Unfortunately Brown fell off a cliff.  Luckily AVT can bounce out and we can still put together a respectable line, but I don't have a problem with them going with the group they went with to start.  

Yeah I don't give a **** about what Rodgers wants, tbh.  He got hurt and now we're ****ed this year.  QB is obviously a need, and he knows it.  He also knows no matter who we take, they're not challenging his starting job these next couple of years unless his play falls off a cliff.  It would be silly for us to not take a QB this year, whether in the 1st or any other round.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Tunsil dropped because he was literally high...video of him smoking weed day of the draft 

I am aware.  It just seemed like a strange choice of a guy to list as a super high draft pick.  Guys drop for all kinds of reasons and if he ended up like Josh Gordon we wouldn't be acting like he was "supposed" to go so much higher.

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

I think it's easy to say this stuff now, but during the preseason Brown was considered the "safe" bet at OT, to the point where Becton was playing with the 2nd stringers for most of camp.  I think the best chance this team had of a high-end OL was most likely with Brown, Becton and AVT all in the lineup.  Unfortunately Brown fell off a cliff.  Luckily AVT can bounce out and we can still put together a respectable line, but I don't have a problem with them going with the group they went with to start.  

Well in general yes...however, myself personally was saying last season move AVT to RT and all offseason I felt Brown should be the starting LT with Becton as the backup and potentially overtaking Brown midseason (when I assumed Brown would break down).

Yeah I don't give a **** about what Rodgers wants, tbh.  He got hurt and now we're ****ed this year.  QB is obviously a need, and he knows it.  He also knows no matter who we take, they're not challenging his starting job these next couple of years unless his play falls off a cliff.  It would be silly for us to not take a QB this year, whether in the 1st or any other round.  

That’s really the gist.  Not saying it has to be a qb in round 1, but we really need to take one and not some scrub in round 6 where douglas can’t appease anyone.  There will likely be good prospects in rounds 2 and 3, but with rodgers so frail now that qb they take could get meaningful snaps in year 1 anyway.  

• 1 month later...

I’ve been less and less excited about going OL in this 1st round, even after the injuries. I like the idea of bringing Becton back. Tomlinson has me feeling better about keeping him around. AVT is AVT and Tippmann looks like a stud as well. Not to say we don’t need to improve the depth but I’m not sure that translates to spending a 1st. 

What I will say though that intrigued me is what the Stock Exchange guys brought up in their recent mock, which was Graham Barton. Our record now would put us in his range of the draft, and considering our injury history, a guy with his versatility sounds pretty damn attractive. He almost sounds like an AVT type - elite guard, good RT. Only difference is he can play C as well. Can pretty much slot him wherever you’d need him outside of LT. Have him start at RG with AVT at RT and take it from there(or Vice versa). 

If we’re out of Fashanu and Alt range and even Fuaga is gone by the time we pick, I think he’s the only OL I’d consider in the 1st. Latham doesn’t excite me nor does the idea of taking another guy coming off injury in Mims. 

Right now the guys I like the most in that 15-25 range are Barton, Odunze/Coleman/Nabers(if any of them make it that far), Newton, Kinchens, and the B-tier QBs like Nix, Penix Jr and McCarthy.  Should have a lot of exciting options come April. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2023 at 12:50 PM, Augustiniak said:

That’s really the gist.  Not saying it has to be a qb in round 1, but we really need to take one and not some scrub in round 6 where douglas can’t appease anyone.  There will likely be good prospects in rounds 2 and 3, but with rodgers so frail now that qb they take could get meaningful snaps in year 1 anyway.  

I'd love to trade back (need someone to do it) and pick up an additional 2, 3.

Use one of those pics on O Line or WR, and the other on a QB if one drops who they like.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Are you trying to give me a headache?   No to Bo!  I'm not opposed to getting a QB but not Bo Nix.

Haha hey man you never know. Will Levis was left over papa john's bad pizza in the draft last year and now the kid looks like he can play.

Either way, at this point in time I think it's clear we aren't touching a QB in the upcoming draft unless it's a dart throw in the 5th + rounds.

This mainly due to Rodgers recovery pace + public declarations of returning + Saleh not face-planting this team post-injury.

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Haha hey man you never know. Will Levis was left over papa john's bad pizza in the draft last year and now the kid looks like he can play.

Either way, at this point in time I think it's clear we aren't touching a QB in the upcoming draft unless it's a dart throw in the 5th + rounds.

This mainly due to Rodgers recovery pace + public declarations of returning + Saleh not face-planting this team post-injury.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  Even if we make it in, if the Zach we see is the Zach we get the rest of the way, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a kid somewhat early.  3rd or 4th(we have two).  Like a Cam Ward or Jordan Travis.  Hell maybe a kid like Penix or McCarthy drops big time - we see it almost every year.  

Either way it would require rolling with 3 QBs next year, but IMO it could be worth it if you want a rookie to get to learn from Rodgers for a year or two.  

40 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  Even if we make it in, if the Zach we see is the Zach we get the rest of the way, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a kid somewhat early.  3rd or 4th(we have two).  Like a Cam Ward or Jordan Travis.  Hell maybe a kid like Penix or McCarthy drops big time - we see it almost every year.  

Either way it would require rolling with 3 QBs next year, but IMO it could be worth it if you want a rookie to get to learn from Rodgers for a year or two.  

Possibly, but with no 2nd rounder, our 3rd becomes that much more important and I'd suspect we'll be looking to plug some holes of immediate need there....but who knows really. Obviously, it all depends on who is sitting where when we pick.

I think we go OT 1st, WR in FA, look to draft DL and OG in the 3rd and 4th.

15 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Possibly, but with no 2nd rounder, our 3rd becomes that much more important and I'd suspect we'll be looking to plug some holes of immediate need there....but who knows really. Obviously, it all depends on who is sitting where when we pick.

I think we go OT 1st, WR in FA, look to draft DL and OG in the 3rd and 4th.

I think after signing Lazard I'd prefer to draft WR in 1 instead of signing another high priced guy like Boyd.  WR1, LB3, QB and OG(develop behind Tomlinson) in 4.  Get maybe a big run-stuffing DE later in the 6th.  

Sign a DT for now, maybe look to draft one in '25.  Sign a cheap-ish vet RT to compete with Mitchell - or sign a RG or C if you plan on keeping AVT at RT.  

Ideally:  Odunze/Nabers, maybe Legette 1, Eichenberg 3, Travis/Ward 4a, Mahogany 4b, and no idea who fits that DE description in the 6th.  I'm sure there will be someone though.  

OL next year either Becton-Tomlinson-Tippmann-AVT-Mitchell/FA, or Becton-Tomlinson-Tippmann/FA-FA/Tippmann-AVT.  I like Mitchell so I can go either way on the OL in the 1st thing.  If we do take one, I'd love it to be Barton.  So versatile, can slot in pretty much anywhere.  If guys get hurt again that'll be an asset.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 3:25 PM, bonkertons said:

Ideally:  Odunze/Nabers, maybe Legette 1, Eichenberg 3, Travis/Ward 4a, Mahogany 4b, and no idea who fits that DE description in the 6th.  I'm sure there will be someone though.  

OL next year either Becton-Tomlinson-Tippmann-AVT-Mitchell/FA, or Becton-Tomlinson-Tippmann/FA-FA/Tippmann-AVT.  I like Mitchell so I can go either way on the OL in the 1st thing.  If we do take one, I'd love it to be Barton.  So versatile, can slot in pretty much anywhere.  If guys get hurt again that'll be an asset.

As much as I’d love a stud WR next to GW and let Rodgers throw for 4000 yards, we cannot rely on that OL. 

Becton + Warren for LT

AVT LG so he hopefully doesn’t get hurt

Tippmann Center

Mitchell/Newman/FA/rookie to develop 

1st round pick/Mitchell

and I don’t want to draft someone versatile. I want someone who is going to be a stud where he is put. We have Tippmann and AVT who can play all over already. Let’s get a LT or RT who can stay put and play well. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

As much as I’d love a stud WR next to GW and let Rodgers throw for 4000 yards, we cannot rely on that OL. 

Becton + Warren for LT

AVT LG so he hopefully doesn’t get hurt

Tippmann Center

Mitchell/Newman/FA/rookie to develop 

1st round pick/Mitchell

and I don’t want to draft someone versatile. I want someone who is going to be a stud where he is put. We have Tippmann and AVT who can play all over already. Let’s get a LT or RT who can stay put and play well. 

Barton IS a stud though.  Being versatile doesn't mean "not good enough to stick at one position".  Look at AVT - Barton is basically AVT who can play C.  Slot him at either G spot, RT, C.  The point is, if someone goes down, which has been known to happen with our OL, Barton can move pretty much wherever you want him so you can get your 5 best OL on the field.  I'd prefer him over another injured OL like Mims, which is who a bunch of mocks are projecting us to get at the range we're currently in. 

Either way, Mitchell looked pretty damn good last night.  Again, I don't see why, with only one pick in the first 2 rounds, we're rushing to take another OL.  This is an elite WR class.  Take advantage of it.  Also I highly doubt Tomlinson is going anywhere.  He's been good this year outside of like the first two weeks next to Brown(playing the worst football of his career) and last week against the Chargers.  Even if we cut him, now we've got 2 holes to fill on the OL.  They're never going to slot Mitchell in as the starting RG going into a season.  RT, sure.  

Honestly I'd lean towards taking a QB to replace Zach before taking an OL with that 1st rounder.  WR is my preference though.  Just too many great options expected to go in that 1st and it's just as big of a need as any other area on this team.  

• Upvote 1

Barton IS a stud though.  Being versatile doesn't mean "not good enough to stick at one position".  Look at AVT - Barton is basically AVT who can play C.  Slot him at either G spot, RT, C.  The point is, if someone goes down, which has been known to happen with our OL, Barton can move pretty much wherever you want him so you can get your 5 best OL on the field.  I'd prefer him over another injured OL like Mims, which is who a bunch of mocks are projecting us to get at the range we're currently in. 

Either way, Mitchell looked pretty damn good last night.  Again, I don't see why, with only one pick in the first 2 rounds, we're rushing to take another OL.  This is an elite WR class.  Take advantage of it.  Also I highly doubt Tomlinson is going anywhere.  He's been good this year outside of like the first two weeks next to Brown(playing the worst football of his career) and last week against the Chargers.  Even if we cut him, now we've got 2 holes to fill on the OL.  They're never going to slot Mitchell in as the starting RG going into a season.  RT, sure.  

Honestly I'd lean towards taking a QB to replace Zach before taking an OL with that 1st rounder.  WR is my preference though.  Just too many great options expected to go in that 1st and it's just as big of a need as any other area on this team.  

My point is we don't have a healthy OL.  AVT got hurt two years in a row at a different position and Tippmann got hurt this year at a different position.  Let's just draft someone who is good at that position and keep him there.  We already have two guys (Tipp and AVT) who can move around. 

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life72 said:

My point is we don't have a healthy OL.  AVT got hurt two years in a row at a different position and Tippmann got hurt this year at a different position.  Let's just draft someone who is good at that position and keep him there.  We already have two guys (Tipp and AVT) who can move around. 

I still don't understand what you're saying.  You can just draft Barton with the intention of keeping him in one spot.  He'd be an elite RG.  A solid/potentially great RT.  You CAN just leave him be, even with injuries.  I don't see why him being versatile would be a negative.  You don't HAVE to bump dudes around, but knowing they can is a huge bonus.

Just an example, let's say you have a good backup RG, but a sh*t backup C.  Your starting RG can also play C at a high level.  Your starting C goes down halfway through the season.  Wouldn't you rather bump your RG to C and put your solid backup RG into the lineup, instead of being forced to play your trash backup C?  Having options is a great thing.  I don't ever see why that would be a reason not to draft someone.  If I told you Barton was strictly a RT would that be better for you?

5 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I still don't understand what you're saying.  You can just draft Barton with the intention of keeping him in one spot.  He'd be an elite RG.  A solid/potentially great RT.  You CAN just leave him be, even with injuries.  I don't see why him being versatile would be a negative.  You don't HAVE to bump dudes around, but knowing they can is a huge bonus.

Just an example, let's say you have a good backup RG, but a sh*t backup C.  Your starting RG can also play C at a high level.  Your starting C goes down halfway through the season.  Wouldn't you rather bump your RG to C and put your solid backup RG into the lineup, instead of being forced to play your trash backup C?  Having options is a great thing.  I don't ever see why that would be a reason not to draft someone.  If I told you Barton was strictly a RT would that be better for you?

No I get it and you’re not wrong. But if we’re looking at two prospects. Let’s say Barton and a RT. If the RT is better I’m going for the RT and not pushing Barton up because of versatility. If Barton is BPA then the flexibility is a bonus. But I’d rather draft a RT than a RG who can play all over. 

Does that make more sense?

I gotta say, many will disagree, but I believe this team needs o-line help. Not a rookie QB. At least not at this juncture. I believe Rodgers will be back next year and depending on how well the team plays and how his body holds up, may be back in 2025 for a final run. 

I'm not convinced Becton will be back and I'm not convinced Mitchell can be a starting RT in the NFL. We could find ourselves in a position where we have no starting OTs on the horizon for 2024, a season where Rodgers will be our QB. We may need to sign a veteran FA capable of playing LT and draft a 1st Rd. OT. Brown is done. Cooked. Bye. Great career. Time to move to Florida. Mitchell and Warren will be good to have for depth. 

Look for a QB in the 2025 or even 2026 draft when we will have a new coaching staff and probably a new GM. Although I would like JD to stick around.  

• Upvote 1

We need a RT......

And good health

LT- Becton (franchised)
LG- Tomlinson (still under contract and not a complete failure) and Free agent
C- Tippman
RG- AVT
RT- rookie/Mitchell

The only weakness we would have is health and Tomlinson. I think we can put up a fight with this group healthy.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.