It would have been so much easier if they were just alcoholics like Mick and Whitey

SouthernJet

I miss the old days :confused:

Simply brilliant! A thread started by someone who obviously doesn't know anything about the "Mick and "Slick"...first off, I'm older than you and know a little history about these two guys. Did they drink during their playing days...hell yeah. Just like us Jet fans like to pour them down during tailgates.

Now, if you're drawing your "alchoholic" reference to the Billy Crystal movie "61", I can see how you came to that conclusion. Mickey did become an alcoholic after his playing days and Whitey didn't. Like Yogi said after that flick came out, "we all drank in those days". Show me any picture of Mickey drunk while playing...you can't find one. Now, if you post a pictue of Mickey having a beer after a game in the clubhouse, that's a different story.

Don't even begin to put these two guys in a class of cheats...but, then again, you're a Mets fan.

Last time I checked alcohol is legal. I wouldn't condone abusing it, nor being a drunk. Hgh, and roids are ILLEGAL. Anyone comparing the old players with this is a fool.

I'm surprised SJ didn't include two of his favorites...the straw man and his blow buddy, doc...two poster boys for the war on drugs.

Simply brilliant! A thread started by someone who obviously doesn't know anything about the "Mick and "Slick"...first off, I'm older than you and know a little history about these two guys. Did they drink during their playing days...hell yeah. Just like us Jet fans like to pour them down during tailgates.

Now, if you're drawing your "alchoholic" reference to the Billy Crystal movie "61", I can see how you came to that conclusion. Mickey did become an alcoholic after his playing days and Whitey didn't. Like Yogi said after that flick came out, "we all drank in those days". Show me any picture of Mickey drunk while playing...you can't find one. Now, if you post a pictue of Mickey having a beer after a game in the clubhouse, that's a different story.

Don't even begin to put these two guys in a class of cheats...but, then again, you're a Mets fan.

haha,,doubt u r older than me,,i saw mick play live,,

but he was a alcoholic, no matter how u spin it..

during his playing days,,so what if he didnt down a beer on benmch,,are u freakin serious,,

he was a pure and simple alcholic,,so what,,

At age 19, Mickey Mantle left the lead mines of Oklahoma for the bright lights of New York City. Unfortunately, those lights cast an eerie shadow over his life. After Mickey's first season, his father, Mutt Mantle, died of Hodgkins disease at 40. His grandfather and two of his uncles also succumbed to the same disease before their 40th birthdays. As a result, a growing fear of dying young haunted the budding superstar. He would talk long into the night with close teammates, confiding to them this nagging fear. Convinced an early funeral was his inevitable fate, though often joking about it, he played hard and partied even harder. For him there was no tomorrow. Tragically, this attitude led to a 40-year bout with alcohol that caused his body to grow older before its time and clouded his mind. Many criticized his self-destructive lifestyle, saying it sabotaged the greatest combination of power and speed the game had ever seen. In autumn of his life, Mantle came to agree with those critics, admitting that his drug of choice, alcohol, kept him from reaching his full potential--as a player and a person. Mickey Mantle had learned the hard lesson that a man reap what he sows.

haha,,doubt u r older than me,,i saw mick play live,,

but he was a alcoholic, no matter how u spin it..

during his playing days,,so what if he didnt down a beer on benmch,,are u freakin serious,,

he was a pure and simple alcholic,,so what,,

At age 19, Mickey Mantle left the lead mines of Oklahoma for the bright lights of New York City. Unfortunately, those lights cast an eerie shadow over his life. After Mickey's first season, his father, Mutt Mantle, died of Hodgkins disease at 40. His grandfather and two of his uncles also succumbed to the same disease before their 40th birthdays. As a result, a growing fear of dying young haunted the budding superstar. He would talk long into the night with close teammates, confiding to them this nagging fear. Convinced an early funeral was his inevitable fate, though often joking about it, he played hard and partied even harder. For him there was no tomorrow. Tragically, this attitude led to a 40-year bout with alcohol that caused his body to grow older before its time and clouded his mind. Many criticized his self-destructive lifestyle, saying it sabotaged the greatest combination of power and speed the game had ever seen. In autumn of his life, Mantle came to agree with those critics, admitting that his drug of choice, alcohol, kept him from reaching his full potential--as a player and a person. Mickey Mantle had learned the hard lesson that a man reap what he sows.

SJ, I really don't need a history lesson on the Mick...what would you like to know? I can give you anything you want on him without looking it up. The bottom line is, you linked Mickey and Whitey in with cheaters....it's apples and oranges.

Oh, by the way, my dad took me to my first game at age 3...that was 1951. I guess that makes me older than you sonny...;)

SJ, I really don't need a history lesson on the Mick...what would you like to know? I can give you anything you want on him without looking it up. The bottom line is, you linked Mickey and Whitey in with cheaters....it's apples and oranges.

Oh, by the way, my dad took me to my first game at age 3...that was 1951. I guess that makes me older than you sonny...;)

hey it was better back then when the players were just alchies,,alchohol legal,,they were not cheaters,,thast my point

mick was great, ,the best,,but a alchie,,come on,,haha u r 4 years older,,old fart

hey it was better back then when the players were just alchies,,alchohol legal,,they were not cheaters,,thast my point

mick was great, ,the best,,but a alchie,,come on,,haha u r 4 years older,,old fart

Yes, I will be 60 in March! Old as dirt. I still have to disagree with you on my childhood hero though.

Yes, I will be 60 in March! Old as dirt. I still have to disagree with you on my childhood hero though.

hey one of my heros also,,

so he had a illness,,admitted it and got sober after his playing days and talked about evils of alcholol after that,,makes him more of a hero in my opinion

hey one of my heros also,,

so he had a illness,,admitted it and got sober after his playing days and talked about evils of alcholol after that,,makes him more of a hero in my opinion

With all his accomplishments on the field, they say his finest hour was his last days of life...he put it out there for youngsters to not follow his path of drinking. You know, if Mick had taken better care of himself (drinking, injuires, etc.) one can only imagine what he could have done to he record books. In the old stadium, he must have lost at least 20 homeruns a year when the demensions were like 457 to left center and 461 to center...

Mays, Aaron, etc., they all had relatively injurey free careers, with the Mick, we will never know just how much better he would have been. I have so much of his memorabilia I think I could open up my own museum.

Archived