Isiah throws Knicks under the Bus

shawn306

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2007/12/18/2007-12-18_isiah_thomas_rips_knicks_effort_in_disma-1.html

Isiah Thomas rips Knicks' effort in dismal loss to Pacers at MSG

BY IAN BEGLEY

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, December 18th 2007, 4:00 AM

About 15 minutes after his last-place team got blown out at home by 27 points and fell to 10 games under .500, Isiah Thomas finally admitted what Knicks fans have known for the past month.

"Tonight was very discouraging to me because we didn't collectively play with heart," Thomas said after the Knicks were clobbered by the Pacers, 119-92. "I think we have the talent, but just because you have the talent and skill doesn't necessarily mean you have the heart. ... For whatever reason, we just stopped competing; we just stopped playing with pride."

It was the Knicks' sixth loss in seven games. They have lost 11 of 16 since starting the season 2-1. Not even the return of Stephon Marbury, who missed five of the past seven games after his father died on Dec. 2, could inspire the Knicks. Marbury had 16 points on 5-for-13 shooting.

Thomas said his players "gave in" in the third quarter. The score was tied at 64 with five minutes to go in the third quarter. Ten minutes later, the Knicks were down by 17 with the fans calling for the coach's head once again.

Mike Dunleavy scored a game-high 36 points, 27 in the second half, exposing the Knicks' soft perimeter defense.

"My teammates found me and I made some shots," Dunleavy said. "It was a fun night."

Two days after Jermaine O'Neal questioned the Knicks' effort while supporting their coach in an article in the Indianapolis Star, the All-Star center proved his point. O'Neal abused Eddy Curry for 22 points on 11-of-16 shooting as the Pacers shot 58%. Zach Randolph led the Knicks with 26 points, but only scored four in the second half.

Curry, who scored 16 points, disagreed with his coach's assessment.

"I don't think we're lacking heart in any kind of way," Curry said. "I think that every single guy on this team has heart and we want to win every single game we have, we just have stretches where we need to improve."

The Knicks were coming off a home win over a healthy Nets team last Saturday, but couldn't put together two-game winning streak. They were outscored by 15 in the fourth quarter and haven't won two in a row in over three weeks.

"That has been the story," David Lee said. "Every step forward we take, it seems like we take a step in the other direction."

It doesn't get any easier for the Knicks, who are three games behind fourth-place Philly in the Atlantic. They play host to LeBron James and the Cavs tomorrow.

Thomas said last year's team played with "heart, courage and competed' but added, "I'm not getting that out of this group right now."

When asked if he was ready to make any roster moves, Thomas said, "Everything's up in the air."

Of course it was Thomas who assembled the team but last night he was pointing at his players.

"A lot of things can be said about me and the team that I coached and the way I played, but I have never been accused of not having heart or competing," Thomas said. "I can give you a lot of things, but I can't give you pride and heart."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to love Isiah don't ya. It is never EVER his fault.

In a way though I do agree with him. This team has aboslutely ZERO guts which is why most of these guys are here. NOBOBDY else wanted them. Curry, Marbury, Crawford, Randolph all have been problems elsewhere. Why would anyone think think they would all of a sudden become what was expected of them ?

The Knicks, instead of going through the rebuilding process like most teams go through tried to bypass it by bringing in guys that were either at the end of their careers or career underachivers or just thugs. So instead of maybe going through a 3-4 year rebuilding process we are looking now at year 8 with no end in sight.

It is at the point now where it is funny (in a trainwreck kind of way) just waiting to see what happens next with this group.

The Knicks are the joke of the NBA. We know it, the media knows it, other teams know it. Everyone knows it except the Knicks.

:bag:

People think Firing Isiah is gonna change things. I don't care who they bring in, nobody is gonna get these guys to play defense. They are a bunch of overpaid/overrated whiny divas. Firing Isiah will not change things....mark my words.

People think Firing Isiah is gonna change things. I don't care who they bring in, nobody is gonna get these guys to play defense. They are a bunch of overpaid/overrated whiny divas. Firing Isiah will not change things....mark my words.

Isiah put this group of overpaid/overrated whiny divas together. Should we allow him to shape the franchise for a few more years? I worked at MSG from '96 to '06. I haven't missed a playoff game since '96 and even though I live here until 2010, I'll probably be back before they make it again.

Isiah put this group of overpaid/overrated whiny divas together. Should we allow him to shape the franchise for a few more years? I worked at MSG from '96 to '06. I haven't missed a playoff game since '96 and even though I live here until 2010, I'll probably be back before they make it again.

Its sad I know...but who would you rather have? I'm not lying when I tell you that, whoever they bring in as coach will not get these guys to play defense. Most of these guys have never been known to play defense in the first place....only ones that are good on defense are the guys Isiah drafted. Say what you want about Isiah but he can evaluate talent when it comes to the draft.

Its sad I know...but who would you rather have? I'm not lying when I tell you that, whoever they bring in as coach will not get these guys to play defense. Most of these guys have never been known to play defense in the first place....only ones that are good on defense are the guys Isiah drafted. Say what you want about Isiah but he can evaluate talent when it comes to the draft.

What I want to say about Isiah is that he put together a ****ty team. The team sucked because Layden was trying to work some cap space with foreigners and getting $$ coming off (McDyess). Isiah comes in and sells some bull**** dream where they always need only one thing: A big man (Nazzi Mohamed sp?) a scoring point like Isiah was (Marbury) another scoring threat (Crawford) a scoring big man (Curry) defense (those ****heads he's brought in lately) and every year they get worse. I do not accept that there is nobody that could better run this team.

A new coach would probably get more out of this team. What they need is a center that actually plays defense and a real point guard. Marbury and Curry are both awful and will kill any team they are on.

Outside of Lee, Crawford, Randolph and Balkman the rest of the team is just awful. Knicks need a real PG, Center who can play some D and a coach who doesn't have his head in his rear.

Archived