Happy New Year Jets News articles 1/1/08

Kentucky Jet

Coles looking for a long-term contract

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

BY JENNY VRENTAS

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles said yesterday that he wants to stay in New York, and that head coach Eric Mangini told him he wants to keep him, but Coles would prefer to do so with the security of a long-term deal.

Presently, Coles is under contract with the Jets for $5 million in 2008 and $6 million in 2009. When his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, spoke with the Jets about a new deal, though, Coles said the team expressed concerns about his age and production this season.

But Coles doesn't want a public contract dispute, like what happened with left guard Pete Kendall last summer, and hopes the negotiations will be complete by the end of January.

"At this point, I'm sure everybody will be able to reach a peaceful and quiet resolution," Coles said in the hallway of the Jets' locker room. "I'm sure we have enough respect for each other to go ahead and mend things the correct way."

Coles, who turned 30 Saturday, led the Jets with six touchdown receptions and also had 646 yards receiving on 55 catches in the 12 games he played. After starting 104 consecutive games, he missed the Week 9 game against Washington with a concussion.

Later in the season, he was bothered by a high ankle sprain, ultimately being placed on injured reserve Dec. 22. His resolve to play through his ankle injury earned him the team's Ed Block Courage Award, voted on by his teammates.

An eight-year pro, Coles wants a longer deal because he believes he has more than two good seasons left in him and wants to finish his career as a Jet. Based on his experience in the league, he also said he thinks it is the correct point in his career for the security of a long-term deal.

"My thing is knowing where I'm going to be the next time I sign a deal and knowing my sacrifices and everything I've done will pay dividends," Coles said. "But you can't force their hand."

Coles' agent has told him he thinks a long-term deal is unlikely, but Coles said yesterday that holding out hasn't crossed his mind. He seemed certain that an amicable arrangement will be made.

"The worst-case scenario is I'm back here next year playing under the same contract," Coles said. "That isn't too bad for me."

Safety Kerry Rhodes said the Jets have expressed some interest in locking him up with a long-term deal. The third-year playmaker, who had five interceptions this season, has one year left on his contract.

"If they want me around, they'll talk about it a little bit," Rhodes said.

Tight end Chris Baker, who had a career-high 41 receptions this season plus three TDs, said he is also looking for a new deal. He has two years left on his contract.

Defensive backs coach Mike MacIntyre has accepted the defensive coordinator position at Duke.

Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton is expected to be fired after the defense struggled in the first half of the season for the second straight year.

"He (Sutton) is somebody that tries his best, he puts his all into it," Rhodes said. "But it's a business as well. So we have to see."

Mangini said he'll evaluate his entire staff in the coming days.

Mangini continued his praise of NT Sione Pouha, who had a strong second half of the season, highlighted by his eight-tackle performance against Tennessee. Pouha was the first name Mangini mentioned when asked who exceeded expectations.

Jenny Vrentas may be reached

at jvrentas@starledger.com

Pennington won't force his exit

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- If Jets quarterback Chad Pennington truly wants out of town, he may have to shoot his way out much like guard Pete Kendall did last August, although he admitted that's not his style.

Coach Eric Mangini yesterday refused to name second-year pro Kellen Clemens as the starter for next season, even though that's clearly the direction the team is headed. But Mangini suggested that Pennington isn't going anywhere because he's under contract.

Thus, there could conceivably be a scenario in which Clemens and Pennington battle for the starting job in training camp next summer, though the playing field would likely be tilted towards Clemens.

"I don't have a lot of control over what is going on right now," Pennington said yesterday. "I'm under contract and that is where we stand."

Pennington said he wouldn't demand a trade -- "I don't believe in doing business that way," he said -- or hold out in an effort to force one.

"I've never considered that," Pennington said. "You guys understand that's not my personality. I understand the business of it, but when it comes between those white lines, I have always believed in the team concept."

The best resolution for Pennington, who said often this season he still considers himself able to start in the NFL, would be for the Jets to trade him if they're committed to Clemens. The Vikings, Dolphins and Falcons are among the teams looking for quarterbacks. Right now, Pennington, an eight-year veteran, is taking the high road in the hopes the organization will do right by him considering his years of service.

"I appreciate Chad's opinion on (wanting to start) and that's one of the things that you look for in any player," Mangini said. "We'll look at (the quarterback situation) and analyze that and make a decision as we go."

A decision to go with Clemens isn't clear-cut, or so it seems, for the Jets. He was 3-5 as a starter and his 60.9 passer rating and 52.0 completion percentage were the worst in the league. He led the Jets to just nine touchdown drives in his 87 possessions as a starter.

Tight end Chris Baker, however, said Clemens has what it takes to be successful if the Jets can solidify the offensive line. He says the young quarterback can make all the throws.

Despite Pennington's desire to be a starter, the Jets appear ready to keep him as an insurance policy because they would be hard-pressed to find a better backup in free agency or via a trade. The club, however, might be persuaded to trade him if the price is right -- perhaps a second- or third-round pick.

Pennington, 31, is signed through 2010. He scheduled to earn $4.8 million in 2008 and count $7.8 million on the salary cap, which isn't bad for a starter.

Those numbers are out of whack for a backup, though, and Pennington's leverage could be to refuse to rework his deal if the Jets want him to remain a backup.

"I certainly want to be a starter," said Pennington, who completed 68.8 percent of his passes with 10 touchdowns and nine interceptions this season but was just 1-7 as a starter.

"That's where I see myself. Things will have to be discussed. ... I've given this organization everything I have -- heart and soul. They've given me the same thing. It's one of those things that's going to take some time. We'll see what happens."

Pennington said he has no ill feelings about being benched and could see himself returning to the Jets next season. He confirmed that his father, Elwood, feels he needs a change of scenery but they haven't discussed it yet with Mangini or general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

"I want to be a starter, here or wherever, I want to be a starter," Pennington said. "That's what I live for professionally. ... I haven't had the chance to talk to Mike and Eric and get their feelings on it. I'll probably have a better feeling once that happens."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached

at dhutchinson@starledger.com

I like both of these articles and here's why:

LC is a true warrior, and despite all the hoopla about him hating Camp Eric and possibly being the one malcontent the Jets need to shake, he likes it here and wants to be a New York Jet.

Secondly, Pennington shows again and again that, despite his noodle arm, he's a great guy. He basically said he doesn't believe in doing things the GreedyPetey Kendall way and will go with the flow. I truly respect Pennington for that.

I like both of these articles and here's why:

LC is a true warrior, and despite all the hoopla about him hating Camp Eric and possibly being the one malcontent the Jets need to shake, he likes it here and wants to be a New York Jet.

Secondly, Pennington shows again and again that, despite his noodle arm, he's a great guy. He basically said he doesn't believe in doing things the GreedyPetey Kendall way and will go with the flow. I truly respect Pennington for that.

I agree 100%.

Mangini mum on QB situation in season-ending press conference

By BRIAN HEYMAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: December 31, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - Coach Eric Mangini was noncommittal in his season-ending press conference today about the Jets' quarterback situation, refusing to say that Kellen Clemens will go into training camp as the starter.

"No, I'm going to look at everything, look at the games that he played in and really look at the whole position," Mangini said. "That'll be part of the whole offensive evaluation. A lot of that will be a function of his progress this offseason and the things that he's able to do and the competition at that position and how that all plays out."

Mangini said the evaluations of the players who contributed to this 4-12 season will begin right away. He will have to make a decision whether he wants to deal Chad Pennington or bring him back to continue in the reserve role he played in the second half of the season or fight for the job again.

Clemens was inconsistent after he took over. The second-year pro ended up with 10 interceptions compared to five touchdown passes. He went 3-5 as the starter.

But Pennington said he could accept being a backup if he's back mainly because he's under contract for three more years and has little control. He said he isn't the type to demand a trade or holdout because he did sign that deal. But he also indicated he had some thinking to do, and that he wouldn't be happy in the reserve role.

"I want to be a starter, here or wherever," Pennington said. "That's what I live for."

Receiver Laveranues Coles reiterated his desire for a new long-term deal. And safety Kerry Rhodes said there have been conversations about a new deal for him since he's heading into the final year of his contract.

The Jets also lost their second assistant in two days. Secondary coach Mike MacIntyre is leaving to become the defensive coordinator at Duke. Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff stepped down after the 13-10 overtime win over the Chiefs on Sunday due to medical reasons.

Reach Brian Heyman at bheyman@lohud.com.

Jets to resume beer sales in '08

Posted: Monday December 31, 2007 8:28PM; Updated: Tuesday January 1, 2008 1:13AM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New York Jets plan to reinstate the sale of beer next season despite a ban in the season finale that appeared to curb fan rowdiness.

Whether sales will be limited and when the taps will be shut remain to be determined.

The Jets instituted Sunday's prohibition after increased security at their prior home game failed to dissuade hundreds of men from imploring women at Gate D to expose their breasts at halftime.

State troopers and Giants Stadium security personnel were deployed Dec. 9 after the behavior was reported in The New York Times. Fans of the New York Giants do not have a similar practice.

This Sunday, access to Gate D was restricted at halftime, with one ramp closed and the other partially open, said James R. Minish, executive vice president of facilities for the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority, which operates the stadium.

"We had fewer crowd control problems yesterday than we would normally run into during a football game," Minish said Monday, although he had no immediate figures on arrests and removals.

He attributed the calmer scene to the absence of alcohol and a small crowd of about 45,000, well below stadium capacity of about 78,000.

The beer ban was not announced before the game so that fans would not "overindulge" in the parking lot ahead of kickoff, Minish said.

Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said the ban primarily was aimed at curbing excess at a game that, with a post-4 p.m. kickoff, allowed for lots of tailgating and took place just before a holiday.

"At times, when we think there is a greater chance of alcohol consumption, we take steps to adjust our policy," Speight said Monday, adding the team imposed a similar ban in 2005. "This was not specific to Gate D."

The Jets prevailed 13-10 in overtime of their season finale against the Kansas City Chiefs, but some fans let authorities know they missed their suds.

"We want beer!" some chanted at halftime, The Star-Ledger of Newark reported.

State Senate President Richard D. Codey, D-Essex, attended the game and endorsed the Jets' efforts to curb harassment of women.

"There's a little too much drinking," Codey told the newspaper. "If you can't act responsibly, we don't want you at the game."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Parcells interested in Clinkscales

By Craig Thomas

Posted Dec 31, 2007

According to reporter Ethan J. Skolnick of the Sun-Sentinel, the Miami Dolphins are interested in hiring Joey Clinkscales, from the Jets personnel department.

"The Dolphins officially began the process of filling out their front office Monday by interviewing Jets director of college scouting Joey Clinkscales and securing permission to speak with Cowboys vice president of pro scouting Jeff Ireland, according to multiple sources," wrote Skolnick. "Both are under consideration for the vacant general manager position." With the draft four months away, losing Clinkscale at this point, would be bad news for the Jets. He has been compiling data on prospects for the last eight months, so it would be bad news for the Jets if he took that information to a division rival.

Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles concerned about futures with the Jets

Dec 31, 2007

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -Chad Pennington stood in front of his locker and answered nearly two dozen questions after most of his New York Jets teammates had long since left.

It was just like old times for the quarterback, who isn't quite sure if his time with the Jets has passed.

"I'm in a tough spot because it's out of my control," Pennington said Monday. "Right now, I'm doing everything that I can to be the best teammate that I can and the best employee of the New York Jets that I can. That's important to me and that's what I can control. I can't control some of the other decisions. Because I'm under contract, I'm not going to go out here and run my mouth."

He never has, even when he lost the starting job to Kellen Clemens in Week 9 as the team began its evaluation of its second-round draft pick from 2006. While Clemens struggled mightily in his half-season as the starter, Pennington might not be there to back him up next season if he again fails to seize the job.

The eight-year veteran has three years, plus a team option year, remaining on his contract, but he might be too costly to keep around as a backup. Pennington is due $4.8 million next season and his salary cap figure is $7.8 million, so the team may request he restructure his contract.

"I would have to sit down and think about it," said Pennington, who restructured his deal a few years ago. "I haven't even given that a thought."

He said he hasn't yet had discussions about his future with coach Eric Mangini or general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Mangini and Jets players have praised Pennington for having a professional and team-first attitude since being benched. Pennington also hasn't complained publicly, and doesn't anticipate requesting a trade to a team where he can be a starter.

"I'm not that type of person," he said. "When I signed the dotted line, I signed the dotted line."

When asked if he would consider holding out, Pennington shot down that possibility.

"I've never considered that," he said. "You guys understand that is not my personality."

Statistically, Pennington actually had a better season than Clemens. He threw for 1,765 yards and 10 touchdowns and nine interceptions. In 10 fewer pass attempts, Clemens threw for 1,529 yards, five TDs and 10 interceptions.

Mangini wouldn't anoint Clemens the starter going forward as he did Pennington a year ago, saying he needs to evaluate everything in the offseason. While he didn't eliminate the idea of coming back and competing with Clemens for the starting job in training camp, Pennington has made it clear he feels he can still be a starter.

"That's what I live for professionally," he said. "In my profession, I live to be a starting quarterback because I relish the moment of being in that huddle, looking the other 10 guys in the eyes and seeing the fire, intensity and the trust they have in me to help lead them down the field. There's no greater feeling."

Wide receiver Laveranues Coles, one of Pennington's closest friends, is also uncertain about his long-term future with the Jets.

He caught 55 passes for 646 yards and a team-leading six touchdowns while fighting through various injuries. Coles, whose season was cut short a few weeks ago by an ankle injury, has two years remaining on his deal, but would like to get more long-term security.

"I have gotten information that they are concerned about my age and my production from this past season," the 30-year-old receiver said. "I did everything I could and dealt with everything that I had to deal with. That was a concern of theirs. At this point, I'm going to play it by ear. I want to do something that I'm comfortable with and I'm sure they want to do the same. We'll reach a resolution."

Coles, who wants things to be resolved early in the offseason, has been one of the franchise's most popular players and long been respected for his ability to play through pain. He's also one of the team's greatest receivers, his 389 receptions ranking sixth in Jets history.

"In my mind, I have more than two years left to play," he said. "My thing is knowing where I'm going to be the next time that I sign a deal and knowing that my sacrificing and everything that I have done has paid dividends. I'm committed to playing football and trying to be a part of something great."

Whether that's with Pennington and the Jets remains to be seen.

"I'm sure Chad is with me, regardless of what happens," Coles said. "I'm sure that Chad just wants the best for me. We'll probably talk a little bit more this week, see how things are going and what's going to happen with him."

All-rookie team

QUARTERBACK

Trent Edwards, Buffalo

Ht: 6-4

Wt: 231

Drafted: Third round

Note: Started nine games for the Bills and won five. Completed 151 of 269 passes (56.1 percent) for 1,630 yards and 7 TDs for a passer rating of 70.4.

HALFBACKS

Adrian Peterson, Minnesota

Ht: 6-1

Wt: 217

Drafted: First round

Note: Rushed for 1,431 yards and 12 TDs, adding another 268 yards and a TD on 19 receptions.

Marshawn Lynch, Buffalo

Ht: 5-11

Wt: 215

Note: Rushed for 1,115 yards and 7 TDs, adding another 184 yards on 18 receptions -- and he threw a touchdown pass on a halfback option as well.

FULLBACK

Brian Leonard, St. Louis

Wt: 226

Drafted: Second round

Note: Had 486 yards from scrimmage (303 rushing, 183 receiving).

WIDE RECEIVERS

Calvin Johnson, Detroit

Ht: 6-5

Wt: 239

Note: Caught 48 passes for 756 yards and four touchdowns.

Dwayne Bowe, Kansas City

Ht: 6-2

Wt: 221

Note: Set a Chiefs rookie record with 70 receptions and led all 2007 rookies in receptions, yards (995) and TD catches (5).

OFFENSIVE TACKLES

Joe Thomas, Cleveland

Ht: 6-6

Wt: 311

Note: Gave up just one sack all year; first alternate for the Pro Bowl.

Tony Ugoh, Indianapolis

Wt: 301

Note: Made 11 starts protecting Peyton Manning's blind side.

OFFENSIVE GUARDS

Justin Blalock, Atlanta

Ht: 6-4

Wt: 329

Note: Started 14 games for the Falcons.

Arron Sears, Tampa Bay

Ht: 6-3

Wt: 319

Note: Started all 16 games for the Bucs.

CENTER

Samson Satele, Miami

Wt: 310

Note: Started all 16 games for the Dolphins.

TIGHT END

Greg Olsen, Chicago

Ht: 6-6

Wt: 254

Note: Caught 59 passes for 391 yards and two touchdowns.

DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE ENDS

Gaines Adams, Tampa Bay

Wt: 258

Note: Led all rookies this season with 6 sacks.

Brian Robison, Minnesota

Wt: 260

Drafted: Fourth round

Note: Had 4.5 sacks and one forced fumble.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

Amobi Okoye, Houston

Wt: 302

Note: Led all rookie defensive tackles this season with 5.5 sacks.

Ed Johnson, Indianapolis

Wt: 296

Drafted: Undrafted free agent

Note: Started all 16 games; finished with 41 tackles and one sack.

LINEBACKERS

Patrick Willis, San Francisco

Wt: 242

Note: Selected to the Pro Bowl; led the entire NFL -- not just rookies -- with 174 tackles, adding 4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.

Jon Beason, Carolina

Ht: 6-0

Wt: 237

Note: Led Panthers with 140 tackles; also had one INT.

David Harris, N.Y. Jets

Wt: 243

Note: Led Jets in tackles with 127, and was second on team with 5 sacks.

CORNERBACKS

Leon Hall, Cincinnati

Wt: 199

Note: Led the Bengals and tied for rookie lead with 5 INTs.

Darrelle Revis, N.Y. Jets

Wt: 204

Note: Had 87 tackles and 3 INTs.

SAFETIES

Reggie Nelson, Jackonsville

Wt: 198

Note: Led the Jaguars and tied for rookie lead with 5 INTs.

LaRon Landry, Washington

Wt: 213

Note: Had 95 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

SPECIAL TEAMS

PUNTER

Daniel Sepulveda, Pittsburgh

Wt: 230

Drafted: Fourth round

Note: Had a 42.4-yard average per punt and added a pass completion on a fake punt.

PLACEKICKER

Nick Folk, Dallas

Wt: 225

Drafted: Sixth round

Note: Selected to the Pro Bowl; made 26 of 31 field-goal attempts and all 53 extra point attempts.

RETURN SPECIALIST

Yamon Figurs, Baltimore

Wt: 175

Drafted: Third round

Note: Figurs averaged 24.7 yards per kick return with one TD and 10.7 yards per punt return with a TD that was as well.

December 31, 2007

Fans Forced To Watch Jets Game Sober

The New York Jets finished their season on a high note yesterday, defeating the Kansas City Chiefs 13-10 in overtime. Unfortunately, fans got little enjoyment out of the game.

Although their team marched to victory, Jets fans were forced to endure more than 60 minutes of extremely boring football completely sober.

That's right, after an abysmal 4-12 season, the New York Jets cut off the beer supply for Sunday's game because of what had become an extremely embarrassing halftime tradition around Gate D. And if you don't know what I'm talking about, where have you been?

All beer jokes aside, it's going to be a long offseason for the men in green. After coming into the season with extremely high hopes, everyone in and around the organization was let down.

This was supposed to be the year New York competed with New England, but instead, they struggled just to avoid being on Miami's level.

On the bright side, at least they went out on a winning note, regardless of how boring it was. So instead of dwelling on a loss for the next eight months, everyone associated with the franchise can focus on improving and making the run that was supposed to happen this year, next year.

JETS' WIN TEMPORARILY PUT ON HOLD

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 31, 2007 -- It was a fitting end to the game and the Jets' lost season.

Kicker Mike Nugent had seemingly won the game on a 33-yard field goal attempt yesterday, but because of a holding penalty, he had to kick it again from 43 yards. The second time was a charm for Nugent and the Jets, who scored a 13-10 overtime victory over the Chiefs.

Wade Smith was called for the penalty.

"I actually didn't see the flag," Nugent said. "I was hugging [punter] Ben [Graham] and he said, 'Hey don't get too excited; there was a flag down.' "

Special teams coach Mike Westhoff was not happy with referee Larry Nemmers, who made the call.

"I wanted to have a heart-to-heart talk with Larry Nemmers, like, 'Please, Larry, give me a break,' " Westhoff said. "I was shocked that he called it. It's been a very tough season for us, and we didn't need any more adversity."

Nugent made the 43-yarder for the win. All told, including the penalty and two Kansas City timeouts called by Herman Edwards, Nugent lined up four times for that field goal.

Edwards said he didn't think the timeouts would distract Nugent.

"No, I drafted him," the former Jets coach said. "I know he's a good kicker."

After the win, Leon Washington said he told Thomas Jones he loves him.

Jones, the running back who was supposed to resuscitate their dormant running game, closed out the season with a hard-earned 98 yards and a receiving touchdown. It was Jones' first-career receiving touchdown.

"He's been a tremendous plus for me, watching the way he approaches the game," Washington said. "He's bettered my career. I love that guy. I told him today, I love him."

TE Chris Baker lobbied for the Jets not to pick a running back in the draft.

"I keep hearing we can get Darren McFadden," Baker said. "Why do we need him? We have two very good running backs that are diverse."

Washington had a big game, rushing for 67 yards and throwing a 36-yard halfback option pass to Wallace Wright.

"I thought he was a little short on that throw," coach Eric Mangini said, jokingly. "He actually hit it in stride when we were practicing."

Speaking of Wright, he had a career-high two catches for 47 yards and he downed a punt at the Kansas City 2-yard line in the second quarter when Drew Coleman made a marvelous save of the ball before it bounced into the end zone.

LB David Harris had a sack in the fourth quarter, giving him five for the season. The Jets' rookie, who finished the season leading the team in tackles, finished tied for the lead in sacks.

One week after being shocked by being benched, Graham was back in uniform punting for the Jets. He averaged 45.1-yards on eight punts.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

JETS MUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR

VICTORY OVER CHIEFS HURTS DRAFT POSITION

By MARK CANNIZZARO

YEAH! Brad Smith (left) and D'Brickasaw Ferguson (right) congratulate Thomas Jones after he scored a second-quarter touchdown yesterday at Giants Stadium. The Jets defeated the Chiefs 13-10 to finish their season at 4-12.What a waste of time this article is. Should the Jets have thrown the game?

posted by LarryClick here to comment

December 31, 2007 -- Every single player and coach already had vacated the home locker room after the Jets' 13-10 overtime win over the Chiefs when Eric Mangini emerged from his dressing room.

Check Out The Jets Blog

One of the trainers quietly handed him three individual packs of Excedrin.

"You need aspirin after a win?" The Post asked Mangini.

"I get headaches all the time," a weary Mangini replied with a smile.

In one final bit of intrigue to this uneven season his Jets have had en route to a 4-12 finish, there was irony to yesterday's Jets win: It might end up giving Mangini a significant headache in April, when the NFL Draft arrives. That's because their victory dropped them from the No. 3 overall pick in the draft to No. 6.

To twist and reverse the infamous words of Herman Edwards, the Jets could have done themselves a favor if they had Played To Lose The Game.

The win over Edwards' Chiefs yesterday at Giants Stadium, so sparsely populated you'd have sworn it was a preseason game, might end up doing them more harm than good, because of the damage to their draft position.

There's no argument that anyone can make that will convince Jets fans that yesterday's win did the franchise any good.

After all, what better off are the Jets finishing the season 4-12 as they did with the win than they would have been 3-13?

Still, though, the team's draft position in April was hardly on the minds of the players, who were simply trying to finish this season with a win to temporarily ease their minds.

"I try not to think of it like that," linebacker Matt Chatham said. "We go to work every week trying to win. Draft picks and outside things like that don't matter.

"We're obviously disappointed about the season, so it is nice to have a smile on your face for 24 or 48 hours before we all go home for the year."

Tight end Chris Baker said he's heard the draft-position talk from fans and he understands their sentiment, but doesn't agree with it.

"First of all, in the draft there are no guarantees," Baker said. "It's not good to be in the top four or five, because there are no can't-miss guys anymore. Secondly, as players we don't think about that. Who knows who's going to be here next year and who's not going to be here next year?

"Obviously, we go from No. 3 to No. 6, but how many guys have gone No. 1 or 2 overall or whatever and are out of the league before a guy that was undrafted?"

Yesterday's dismal, cold, wet weather and disinterested vibe at the stadium couldn't have been further away from the electric, playoff-like atmosphere that engulfed the place on Saturday night for the Giants-Patriots game.

New England's historic 38-35 New England victory over the Giants made yesterday's game look like it was between two teams from an inferior league.

The Jets, with a 10-3 halftime lead on a Kellen Clemens (13-25, 115 yards, 1 TD) shovel pass to Thomas Jones that went for a 15-yard touchdown, for most of the game appeared en route to victory thanks to the Chiefs' anemic offense.

But Kansas City tied the game at 10-10 on a 26-yard Brodie Croyle scoring pass to Jeff Webb with 2:59 remaining in regulation. That sent the game careening to overtime, where the Jets won it on the first possession of extra period on a 43-yard Mike Nugent field goal with 9:47 remaining.

The loss for the 4-12 Chiefs was their ninth in a row.

"It's kind of fitting for [the game] to go into overtime," said Edwards, who left the Jets two years ago. "That's just two teams who had a difficult season. Am I glad it's over? Yes, I'm glad it's over."

Headaches all around. Mangini should have shared his aspirin with Edwards.

With the Jets’ Season Over, Pennington’s Status Is the Biggest Puzzle

By GREG BISHOP

Published: January 1, 2008

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — By the time Chad Pennington entered the Jets’ locker room, teammates had already packed their belongings into trash bags. Only the news media remained. Reporters stood four deep around his locker.

They wanted to know if an era had ended Sunday night at Giants Stadium.

Pennington was the last of the Jets to leave the locker room Monday. He exited toward an uncertain future, unsure if he would return next season.

“I want to be a starter,” Pennington said. “Here, wherever. That’s what I live for. I live to be a starting quarterback, because I relish that moment of being in that huddle and looking the other 10 guys in the eyes and seeing the fire and intensity and trust. There’s no greater feeling.”

After all the touchdowns, the comebacks from two shoulder operations and this season’s benching, the questions left for Pennington are how, and where, his career will continue.

When the Jets finished their frustrating 4-12 season, Pennington lingered on the field as if he did not want to leave. He snapped photographs with his two sons. He stole glances into the stands.

An eight-year veteran like Pennington understands major changes are expected. Two other Jets captains — receiver Laveranues Coles and linebacker Jonathan Vilma — face similar uncertainty, but none more publicly than Pennington, the face of the Jets as recently as midway through this season.

Pennington is under contract for three more seasons and is due $4.8 million in base salary in 2008, when he will count $7.8 million against the salary cap. The Jets benched the 31-year-old Pennington this season in favor of the 24-year-old Kellen Clemens, and though Pennington said he did not necessarily agree with the team’s quarterback plans, he understood they were in place.

All sorts of possibilities were tossed his way Monday. He said he had not spoken with Coach Eric Mangini or General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. More than anything, he said, he needed time to think. He said he held “no ill feelings” toward the Jets.

“This isn’t an overnight decision,” Pennington said. “This isn’t a hasty decision. I’ve given this organization everything I have, my heart and soul. I’m in a tough spot.”

Clemens, his presumed successor, finished his first partial season as a starter with a 52 percent completion rate, a 60.9 passer rating and 9 touchdown drives in 88 possessions. He also won three games; Pennington won one.

Their friendship never soured, and the two insisted it would not during the off-season.

On Monday, the Jets seemed relieved by the season’s end. Safety Kerry Rhodes said the best part about starting the off-season was not being associated with a 4-12 team anymore.

“We’re zero and zero,” he said, turning the page as quickly as possible.

Rhodes is one of several Jets who may be in line for a new contract. He has a year remaining on his deal, but the Jets worked out an extension for receiver Jerricho Cotchery under similar circumstances last season. Rhodes said discussions had already begun.

The same goes for Coles, whose agents have talked with the Jets regarding his contract. Coles has two years left on his current deal at $11 million, but none of the money is guaranteed.

Coles said the Jets told his agent they were concerned about his age (he turned 30 Saturday) and his production (55 catches, 646 yards, 6 touchdowns). He missed four games and parts of others because of a concussion and an ankle injury that eventually landed him on injured reserve.

Coles said he hoped the sides could come to a “peaceful resolution” by the end of January, but he made clear he expected to play longer than two seasons. He also said Pennington’s future would factor into his decision.

“Worst-case scenario is I’m back here next year playing under the same contract,” Coles said.

In his address to the team, Mangini remained upbeat, pushing positives. On the plus side, the Jets continued to play hard, young defensive players such as linebacker David Harris and cornerback Darrelle Revis emerged, and the team will pick sixth in the draft.

Meanwhile, the wheels of change turn. The names of Jets who might have played their last game with the team Sunday include: Vilma and his fellow linebacker Victor Hobson, cornerbacks Hank Poteat and Andre Dyson, safety Erik Coleman, punter Ben Graham, receiver Justin McCareins, linemen Adrian Clarke and Anthony Clement and, of course, Pennington.

After the overhaul, the Jets will travel 13,000 more miles in 2008 than they did in 2007. In addition to their American Football Conference East schedule — New England, Buffalo, Miami — the Jets will travel to Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Tennessee, and play host to Denver, Kansas City, Arizona, St. Louis and Cincinnati.

On the final day of 2007, most players made their way to the office of the special teams coach Mike Westhoff, who will have surgery on his leg on Feb. 7 and will not coach next season. Linebacker David Bowens said “the game needs him more than he needs the game.”

And with that, the season ended and the renovations started.

“It’ll be good to wipe the slate clean and start all over,” tight end Chris Baker said. “I expect change, but it’s a good thing. Since I’ve been here, every other year we’ve been to the playoffs. So next year is our year then.”

Iffy at best for Chad to remain with Jets

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

January 1, 2008

Chad Pennington was hit by the rapid-fire ifs.

So many questions, each with its own implication, were presented to the quarterback as he cleaned out his locker at the Jets' practice facility yesterday.

If the Jets want him back ... If he's not named the starting quarterback ... If he doesn't want to return as a backup ... If the Jets asked him to take another pay cut ... ?

"I don't have the answers right now, I really don't," he said. "There are so many different things that could happen."

But there was one thing Pennington was absolute about. He wants to be a starting quarterback. And it probably didn't require standing in the frozen rain at Giants Stadium for 3 1/2 hours Sunday, watching someone else do the job he once held, to come to that realization.

"I want to be a starter, here or wherever," he said. "I want to be a starter. That is what I live for professionally."

That Pennington said "wherever" is old news. It's been speculated that his tenure with the Jets will come to an end this offseason ever since the team replaced him with Kellen Clemens in late October. But that Pennington also said "here," floating the notion that he could return with the Jets - he has three years plus an option for a fourth remaining on his contract - is new.

With Clemens officially finishing the season with the lowest passer rating of all eligible quarterbacks in the NFL this season, he hasn't secured the job the way the Jets would have liked. Still, most figure that at the very least, it will be Clemens' job to lose heading into training camp.

"Obviously, Kellen is the future of the program here," tight end Chris Baker said. "Once we made the switch and went to Kellen this year, it was obviously a step toward the future, and that's how the game is. He has some more development to do, but I think he's going to do a great job."

Even Pennington recognizes that Clemens is a part of the Jets' future.

"Mike [Tannenbaum] and Eric [Mangini] have illustrated their plan of what they want to do at the quarterback position," Pennington said, "and I don't have to agree with that decision, but that is the plan."

Mangini said he would not name a starting quarterback for 2008, at least not on the final day of 2007. He held off on naming Pennington the starter until February last year. Mangini also said he will be keeping an eye on Clemens' offseason progress.

Asked directly if Clemens can be a winning NFL quarterback, Mangini said he thinks all the quarterbacks on the roster have that ability. That's good news for Marques Tuiasosopo, the third-stringer who didn't play a snap this year.

Pennington said he wouldn't shy away from an open competition in Jets training camp. He also said he wouldn't stomp his feet and demand to be traded or released. "I don't believe in doing business that way," he said.

And if he does come back as anything less than the starting quarterback?

"I would be the best backup that I can be because I'm under contract," he said. "If I remain a Jet, I will be the best Jet that I can be."

Pennington, it turned out, had a few "ifs" of his own to throw out there.

Where could Chad go?

If Chad Pennington does not return to the Jets, here is where he might wind up:

VIKINGS: Minnesota came close to the playoffs, and with the Vikings' strong defense and burgeoning running game, a ball-control quarterback such as Pennington would fit nicely. Plus they play their games indoors, a nice benefit.

FALCONS: It depends on who the head coach is, but Pennington and Brian Schottenheimer hit it off in New York. Maybe Pennington and Marty Schottenheimer could make it work in Atlanta.

CHIEFS: If Pennington is reunited with Herman Edwards, he'd likely have to battle Brodie Croyle for the starting job. It wouldn't be much different from the situation with Kellen Clemens. Then again, how hard a task could beating out Croyle be?

DOLPHINS: Bill Parcells drafted Pennington, but the Jets are unlikely to trade a quarterback to a division rival. The Dolphins do need a veteran at the position, though. And they do have that top draft pick to dangle around.

JETS' QB QUANDRY

CHAD DECISION BIGGEST OF FSEASON QUESTION

By MARK CANNIZZARO

PENNED IN:Chad Pennington gets fired up on the field after taking over for injured Kellen Clemens during the Jets' loss to the Patriots on Dec. 16. Pennington, who lost his starting quarterback job to Clemens earlier in the season, may or may not return to the Jets next season.

January 1, 2008 -- Will he stay or will he go?

Will Chad Pennington remain with the Jets in 2008, or are they ready to commit wholeheartedly to Kellen Clemens and eschew their most competent safety net in the process by jettisoning Pennington?

That's the most pressing question that faces the Jets as they embark on what's certain to be an active offseason of changes.

Yesterday, the day after their season-finale victory over the woeful Chiefs, the Jets offered no answers - mostly because they don't have any answers at the moment.

As for Pennington, he reiterated his burning desire to be a starter in the NFL, regardless of where he starts.

The complication for Pennington is this: He's under contract through the 2011 season and doesn't have any choice but to sit back and wait for the Jets to make a move - or not make a move.

Asked yesterday what the "ideal" situation would be, Pennington said: "I want to be a starter . . . here or wherever. That's what I live for professionally. There's no greater feeling."

One of several scenarios is likely to play out:

* The Jets fully commit to Clemens as their starter and try to trade Pennington away for a decent package of draft picks.

* The Jets make a lukewarm commitment to Clemens as their starter and keep Pennington as a safety net of sorts despite the $4.8 million he's due to make in 2008 - more money than any team wants to pay a backup.

* They do the above, but ask Pennington to take a pay cut, something he did before the 2006 season to stay with the team.

* They blow up the whole program, draft a new quarterback and start over.

The last scenario is the least likely to occur.

Pennington could be a thorn in the Jets' side by demanding a trade if he knows he has little chance to win the starting job or refusing to take a pay cut and hold out during minicamps and training camp.

Neither of those scenarios is likely considering Pennington's character.

"I'm under contract," Pennington said. "I don't believe in doing business that way (holding out or demanding a trade). I'm not that type of person. When I signed the dotted line, I signed the dotted line.

"We'll have to wait and see what they want to do. I signed this extension a few years back, so as of now, nothing has changed. I don't have a lot of control over what is going on right now."

Pennington said "things will have to be discussed" with Jets management to determine his future.

"This isn't an overnight decision or a hasty decision that either side wants to make because there has been a lot of time put in by myself as a player and a lot of time put in to me by this organization," Pennington said. "I've given this organization everything I have - my heart and soul. They have given me the same thing. It's one of those things that is going to take some time."

Eric Mangini, both after Sunday's game and yesterday, did not publicly commit to Clemens as his starter.

Asked if he was willing to anoint Clemens as the starter entering training camp, Mangini said: "No. I'm going to look at everything, look at the games that he played in and really look at the whole position.

"That will be part of the whole offensive evaluation, and a lot of that will be a function of his progress this offseason and the things that he's able to do and the competition at that position and how that all plays out."

Clemens was less than impressive statistically, completing only 52-percent of his passes with five touchdowns, 10 interceptions and a 60.9 rating. In 87 offensive possessions, the Jets scored nine TDs with Clemens under center.

Discounting the loss to New England, in which he was knocked out on the second play, Clemens went 3-5 as the starter.

Those numbers are exactly what has created the mess of uncertainty the Jets face.

COLES, CLUB AT ODDS OVER LONG-TERM DEAL

By MARK CANNIZZARO

January 1, 2008 -- Aside from the uncertainty surrounding the quarterback position for the Jets, there are a number of other loose ends that need tying up in the offseason.

Among them is what the team will do with receiver Laveranues Coles, who has two years remaining on his contract for a total of $11 million, but is seeking the security of a long-term deal that would allow him to end his career with the Jets.

Coles said yesterday that there have some conversations between his agent and the Jets and that his agent indicated that the team didn't seem ready to make that long-term commitment.

According to Coles, the Jets expressed "concern" about his age (he'll be 30 in September) and his production (he caught 55 passes and scored six touchdowns this season, and missed four-plus games with a concussion and an ankle injury).

"I did everything I could and dealt with everything that I had to deal with," he said. "At this point, I'm going to play it by ear. I want to do something that I'm comfortable with and I'm sure they want to do the same. We will reach a resolution."

Coles said he doesn't want his contract situation to "linger the entire offseason."

"The worst-case scenario is that I'm back here next year playing under the same contract," he said. "That isn't too bad for me."

Another player who wants to sign a long-term deal is S Kerry Rhodes, who has one year remaining on his contract and is one of the team's best defensive playmakers.

Rhodes said there has been "a chat here and a chat there" between his agent and the Jets about a new deal.

"We'll see what they do," he said. "If they want me around, they'll talk about it a little bit. Maybe they will want me, maybe they don't."

Tight end Chris Baker, who restructured his deal during the season to help the salary cap, also is expecting a new contract this offseason. He signed a four-year deal before the 2006 season with some promises that, as he developed, it would be bettered.

Baker had his best season as a pro, catching a career-high 41 passes and scoring three TDs.

One player who seemed resigned that his career is over is WR Justin McCareins, who's due a roster bonus in March that is not going to be paid. McCareins, who'd like to remain with the team, said he's thoroughly enjoyed his experience with the Jets and has a "high respect" for the coaching staff.

Secondary coach Mike MacIntyre has accepted the defensive coordinator job at Duke. Mangini said he plans to "evaluate" his coaching staff after evaluating the roster. There have been rumors that defensive coordinator Bob Sutton might be in jeopardy of losing his job, but Mangini wouldn't confirm that.

For starters, it looks like Jets can't afford to sack Chad Pennington

Tuesday, January 1st 2008, 4:00 AM

The Jets haven't made it easy for their fans. Don't tell me you haven't noticed. Yeah, they won their last game of the season, but if anybody thought that was a sweet surprise, like the cable company giving you something for nothing, the warm feeling couldn't have lasted into Monday morning.

Once again, for the 46th time in 47 years, the fans have nothing to celebrate. The Jets, coming off a playoff season, were supposed to make a certain amount of noise this year. Good noise. Playoff noise. But a half-dozen games into the schedule they were the same-old-you-know-who, the other team in town.

Game 8 they sent Chad Pennington to the bench and replaced Kellen Clemens' baseball cap with a helmet. It was the right time to find out about him. And now you can say this about the 24-year-old: He wasn't ready and he wasn't awful. Unless you check out his quarterback rating, which was an anemic 60.9. (Not that it matters, but Chad finished at 86.1.)

This is how bad it got for the fans: The Jets said goodbye with a meaningless win over Kansas City on Sunday and the only interesting news to come out of the game was that the concession stands weren't selling beer. Clemens completed 13 passes for 115 yards. Doesn't sound like much, you might think, but it gave his QB rating a boost.

Let's face it, his half-season calling signals didn't convince anybody he's the arm of the future. So when somebody wondered if there was a play this season he would put into his diary, it took him about two seconds, maybe less, to admit, "No, nothing that jumps out. There were some good plays, there were some bad plays. (Editor's note: Several dozen so-so plays.) There were obviously some plays that I would have liked to have back. Nothing that jumps out at me."

There was a time, when Pennington was the starter, when a visitor to Clemens' locker usually came away with a smile on his face. Clemens' personality, his sense of humor, produced impressive ratings. Now that he's in the middle of the huddle he's gotten serious around us.

He was asked if his eight starts would be enough of an evaluation period for the coach. A pretty inviting straight line that the earlier Clemens' might have sent out of the park. But what he gave us yesterday was a somber, "Any evaluation is going to come from upstairs. I'm concerned about the improvement I need to make. The evaluations in that regard are going to come from upstairs. I trust them to make whatever decision is" - yes? yes? - "best for this football team."

There has been a certain amount of speculation about Pennington's chances of lasting long enough with the Jets to throw a football in the new stadium. But given Clemens' lukewarm performances this season, it seems almost certain that Pennington, who's signed up through 2011, will be getting a chance to grab back his job come summer. He's a winner, and he's tough. On the sad side, his body could be described as brittle and his idea of a Hail Mary pass might cover 20 yards. (That isn't Clemens' problem. He threw a 65-yarder against the Chiefs that went through Jerricho Cotchery's hands. It might have become the one play in his diary.)

Pennington knows what he's after. "I want to be a starter," he said, "here or wherever. I want to be a starter. That is what I live for professionally ... because I relish the moment of being in that huddle, looking the other 10 guys in the eyes and seeing the fire, intensity and trust they have in me to help lead them down the field. There is no greater feeling ... and that is what my goal is."

He'll probably get that chance. Jet fans have given the team so many chances.

vziegel@nydailynews.com

Eric Mangini didn't name a starting quarterback Monday.

Of course, as the Jets' second-year coach said later in his wrapup news conference for the 2007 season, "we don't play anybody this week," so there's really no need for one at the moment.

At some point, however, that decision will need to be made. And it's not as clear-cut as it might have been for the Jets.

As much as the organization wants to believe that Kellen Clemens is the long-term answer at quarterback, a 60.9 passer rating and only nine touchdown drives in 87 possessions didn't provide enough evidence of that.

Coach Eric Mangini didn't anoint Clemens the starter going into 2008 training camp the way he did with Chad Pennington before the 2007 season. Although, to be fair, Mangini only named Pennington the starter during the 2007 Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, not in his news conference the day after the Jets' 2006 season ended with a playoff loss to New England. In Mangini's first season, he held a four-way competition in training camp for the job and Pennington emerged as the victor.

"I'm going to look at everything," Mangini said Monday, "look at the games that (Clemens) played in and really look at the whole position. That will be part of the whole offensive evaluation and a lot of that will be a function of his progress this offseason and the things that he's able to do and the competition at that position and how it all plays out."

So where does that leave Pennington? The former starter just completed his eighth NFL season and will be 32 by 2008 opening day.

"I want to be a starter, here or wherever," Pennington said Monday. "I want to be a starter. That's what I live for professionally. ... I'm under contract. There are three years (left) on my contract. I signed this extension a few years back, so as of now, nothing has changed. I don't have a lot of control over what is going on right now. I feel really good about where I am as a player and really good about being a starter in this league."

He is scheduled to make $4.8 million in 2008, and his contract will count for $7.8 million against the Jets' salary cap. He took a pay cut before the 2006 season, when he was coming off two shoulder surgeries in a 10-month span. Asked if he would consider again having his salary reduced, he said, "I haven't even given that a thought."

There has been much speculation that Pennington could be traded.

"I don't believe in doing business that way," he said when asked if he would request a trade if he won't be the starter. "I believe in making good decisions for myself and the organization. That's a hypothetical that I don't really have the answer for."

Answers are in short supply right now for this organization as it enters the offseason after a disappointing 4-12 campaign.

When asked if he'd like to have Pennington back, Mangini said, "We're evaluating everything through the course of this week and through the course of the offseason, and he's under contract. ... I couldn't tell you definitively that it's going to be one scenario or (another) scenario."

Pennington made it clear that he was choosing his words carefully.

"I'm in a tough spot," he said, "because it's out of my control. Right now, I'm doing everything that I can to be the best teammate that I can and the best employee of the New York Jets that I can. ... Because I'm under contract, I'm not going to go out here and run my mouth."

"Chad has a big presence in this locker room," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "He has a great personality and gets along well with everyone in this locker room. If anything happens with that situation, we'll miss him."

Of Clemens, Cotchery said, "Kellen is going to be a good player. ... I expect him to get better just like everyone in this locker room. He has a good future ahead of him."

NOTES, QUOTES

JETS' QB QUANDRY

CHAD DECISION BIGGEST OF FSEASON QUESTION

By MARK CANNIZZARO

PENNED IN:Chad Pennington gets fired up on the field after taking over for injured Kellen Clemens during the Jets' loss to the Patriots on Dec. 16. Pennington, who lost his starting quarterback job to Clemens earlier in the season, may or may not return to the Jets next season.

January 1, 2008 -- Will he stay or will he go?

Will Chad Pennington remain with the Jets in 2008, or are they ready to commit wholeheartedly to Kellen Clemens and eschew their most competent safety net in the process by jettisoning Pennington?

That's the most pressing question that faces the Jets as they embark on what's certain to be an active offseason of changes.

Yesterday, the day after their season-finale victory over the woeful Chiefs, the Jets offered no answers - mostly because they don't have any answers at the moment.

As for Pennington, he reiterated his burning desire to be a starter in the NFL, regardless of where he starts.

The complication for Pennington is this: He's under contract through the 2011 season and doesn't have any choice but to sit back and wait for the Jets to make a move - or not make a move.

Asked yesterday what the "ideal" situation would be, Pennington said: "I want to be a starter . . . here or wherever. That's what I live for professionally. There's no greater feeling."

One of several scenarios is likely to play out:

* The Jets fully commit to Clemens as their starter and try to trade Pennington away for a decent package of draft picks.

* The Jets make a lukewarm commitment to Clemens as their starter and keep Pennington as a safety net of sorts despite the $4.8 million he's due to make in 2008 - more money than any team wants to pay a backup.

* They do the above, but ask Pennington to take a pay cut, something he did before the 2006 season to stay with the team.

* They blow up the whole program, draft a new quarterback and start over.

The last scenario is the least likely to occur.

Pennington could be a thorn in the Jets' side by demanding a trade if he knows he has little chance to win the starting job or refusing to take a pay cut and hold out during minicamps and training camp.

Neither of those scenarios is likely considering Pennington's character.

"I'm under contract," Pennington said. "I don't believe in doing business that way (holding out or demanding a trade). I'm not that type of person. When I signed the dotted line, I signed the dotted line.

"We'll have to wait and see what they want to do. I signed this extension a few years back, so as of now, nothing has changed. I don't have a lot of control over what is going on right now."

Pennington said "things will have to be discussed" with Jets management to determine his future.

"This isn't an overnight decision or a hasty decision that either side wants to make because there has been a lot of time put in by myself as a player and a lot of time put in to me by this organization," Pennington said. "I've given this organization everything I have - my heart and soul. They have given me the same thing. It's one of those things that is going to take some time."

Eric Mangini, both after Sunday's game and yesterday, did not publicly commit to Clemens as his starter.

Asked if he was willing to anoint Clemens as the starter entering training camp, Mangini said: "No. I'm going to look at everything, look at the games that he played in and really look at the whole position.

"That will be part of the whole offensive evaluation, and a lot of that will be a function of his progress this offseason and the things that he's able to do and the competition at that position and how that all plays out."

Clemens was less than impressive statistically, completing only 52-percent of his passes with five touchdowns, 10 interceptions and a 60.9 rating. In 87 offensive possessions, the Jets scored nine TDs with Clemens under center.

Discounting the loss to New England, in which he was knocked out on the second play, Clemens went 3-5 as the starter.

Those numbers are exactly what has created the mess of uncertainty the Jets face.

Headline: FATTIZARO CAN'T SPELL "QUANDARY"

Editor just as dumb.

Archived