Ellis as OLB....

BReal32

did anyone notice when mangini lined ellis up at OLB against the chefs? does anyone think this may work for the jets, if ellis works on this position in the offseason?

i sort of like ellis and he used to be a good player. maybe this is worth a shot. it seems more likely than vilma coming back at free safety or bulking up enough to be effective at LB in the 3-4 scheme.

this is just a random thought i had guys. i'm wondering if anybody else noticed this or has thought about it. if this idea is totally crazy, flame me if you must!

happy new year all.

It's ok to mix it up a little here & there. But for every down? Back when he was a young kid fresh out of college, he still only had like 4.8-4.9 speed.

Keep him at DE (either starting or in a rotation) with some looks at OLB here & there. Just for '08, since there's no cap relief for letting him go yet. Then cut him after the season.

He's not too small to play DE in the 3-4. Just too sucky at it. Some guys are just not two-gap linemen no matter what their height/weight says on paper.

As a full-time LB'er though, he's too small & I'd be wary of him in pass coverage. By now, Bowens is probably better at it & is certainly more suited (between just the two of them).

my guess is that ellis at OLB was based on offensive personnel packages and tendancies. i.e. when the chiefs used certain personnel they ran 90% of the time. adding ellis as olb gives the jets more size vs. the run.

hopefully the point is moot and suggs is playing olb next year. i would take ellis over hobson though - it is dificult to do less on a football field than victor hobson.

Archived