Anyone live in Germany?

AFJF

Probably gonna head out to Berlin again for a few days next month but I'd like to take a day trip by train out of Berlin to go somewhere else while I'm there. Anybody living out there have any idea what the trains are like? I've read that they don't have a real "central" station and there are several to use but I haven't been able to find any that show destinations outside of Germany that I'd be able to get to. Any help is appreciated.

Good job taking the train. It negates the chance of getting a flat tire and suffering German tire forehead.

I've never taken the train to Germany. Took the train from Milan to Schaffhausen (sp?), Switzerland. They have a nice little falls there, alleged to be the "Niagra Falls of Europe" and are right over the border from Germany, not far from the black forest. Picked up a rental car there and drove into Germany. The train through Switzerland is great. Runs right through the mountains past the lakes, Lucerne, Zug and Zurich. Like anything Swiss they suddenly begin to run on time after you leave the Italian border. If you get south towards Italy let me know. The car has four wheels again!

heres specific times/places/rates

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fares_schedules/index.htm?WT.mc_id=google.germany_tickets2.cpc&WT.srch=1&gclid=CPmcpNCmxJECFR8Ulgod32q4Cw

you should also consider a germany rail pass. 4 days of unlimited travel within a month cost around 300ish. if you land in berlin, you can go see 3 other cities in germany and make a loop. im a big time looper. should have been a travel agent.......

i only took trains in italy. Rome to Florence, and then on to Venice. I'd love to take the train Dom was talking about, the lakes in Switzerland have no equal. It has to be the most amazing scenery in the entire world.

CH is drop dead gorgeous. no sea, but as far as mountains are concerned forget it. I rented a travel video. you can take this train all the way to the top of the highest peak. its sick just sick and gorgeous.

just dont forget your wallet, because euros are no good and the third world rate known as the US dollar is about as valuable as pocket lint

austria is a close second, too. but they are snobby, imo

i only took trains in italy. Rome to Florence, and then on to Venice. I'd love to take the train Dom was talking about, the lakes in Switzerland have no equal. It has to be the most amazing scenery in the entire world.

The ones in Northern Italy give them a pretty good run. Como, Maggiore, Garda. They are all up in the Alps, but the trains are cleaner and more likely to be on time in Switzerland. The Italian trains give at least a partial refund if they are thirty minutes or more late. Therefore the trains usually arrive around 20 minutes after scheduled.

airforcejet you should land in berlin, see the ww2 stuff there, hop on a train to see eagles nest a few hours south, continue that train ride and wind up in munich. stay there for 2 days and then hit the train to baden baden/the black forest....train to the wonderful city of heidelberg for a day or two and swing back to berlin

The ones in Northern Italy give them a pretty good run. Como, Maggiore, Garda. They are all up in the Alps, but the trains are cleaner and more likely to be on time in Switzerland. The Italian trains give at least a partial refund if they are thirty minutes or more late. Therefore the trains usually arrive around 20 minutes after scheduled.

been to como maggiore. VERY pretty but not in CH league, imo. but dont get your ginea pants all tight, IT is very pretty too, good people, good food

the italian trains are not as nice as germany and CH but they are still nice enough

airforcejet you should land in berlin, see the ww2 stuff there, hop on a train to see eagles nest a few hours south, continue that train ride and wind up in munich. stay there for 2 days and then hit the train to baden baden/the black forest....train to the wonderful city of heidelberg for a day or two and swing back to berlin

Is there a fee to get to the Eagle's Nest, or do you just take a cab? That would be something i'd love to see.

been to como maggiore. VERY pretty but not in CH league, imo. but dont get your ginea pants all tight, IT is very pretty too, good people, good food

the italian trains are not as nice as germany and CH but they are still nice enough

The two coolest places i've ever been are, Lake Lucern, Switzerland, and San Pedro, Chile. San Pedro is the best place in the world to see the stars (so they say) since it is the dryest desert in the world, and has an elevation that is higher than any poit in the US (except Alasaka, of course) 15,000 feet i think. The US and every other major country have a telescope there.

I'd never seen such a view. Although the poverty there is sickening, sort of strange with all these major countries, they don't help the locals at all.

Thanks for all the info DK...I was in Berlin a few years ago when I did my WWII trip but I didn't see as much of it as I would have liked. First of all it was the last two days of the trip and I'd seen all the "highlights" that I wanted to and was ready to go home. In addition to that, it was NFL draft weekend so I spent a fair amount of time in internet cafes watching that.

I'll check out plenty of the city again this time but it's going to be a lot more drinking and partying when the history/sightseeing is over.

Good job taking the train. It negates the chance of getting a flat tire and suffering German tire forehead.

I've never taken the train to Germany. Took the train from Milan to Schaffhausen (sp?), Switzerland. They have a nice little falls there, alleged to be the "Niagra Falls of Europe" and are right over the border from Germany, not far from the black forest. Picked up a rental car there and drove into Germany. The train through Switzerland is great. Runs right through the mountains past the lakes, Lucerne, Zug and Zurich. Like anything Swiss they suddenly begin to run on time after you leave the Italian border. If you get south towards Italy let me know. The car has four wheels again!

Thanks 27...I won't be in Italy this time around but I'll be taking another trip out there in the next year or so. I still have a couple of years left in Englad and I plan to continue taking advantage of being right next door to mainland Europe. I'll let you know when I'm heading to Italy. What major city are you close to? Anywhere near Rome? I'll definitely be hitting up Rome, Venice, and Pompeii before I head out of here.

Thanks 27...I won't be in Italy this time around but I'll be taking another trip out there in the next year or so. I still have a couple of years left in Englad and I plan to continue taking advantage of being right next door to mainland Europe. I'll let you know when I'm heading to Italy. What major city are you close to? Anywhere near Rome? I'll definitely be hitting up Rome, Venice, and Pompeii before I head out of here.

I'm in the heart of Milano. Rome is a pretty long haul for us, but we get sent there sometimes because that's where the embassy is. Venice and Florence are about 3 hours. We can just go there for the day. You should hit Florence too. Firenze is awesome. Milan is not a great tourist city, but there'll probably be about a 50-50 chance your flight will come through here and 100% chance if you take the train. Can see the best stuff in a day -duomo, last supper, castello.

I'm in the heart of Milano. Rome is a pretty long haul for us, but we get sent there sometimes because that's where the embassy is. Venice and Florence are about 3 hours. We can just go there for the day. You should hit Florence too. Firenze is awesome. Milan is not a great tourist city, but there'll probably be about a 50-50 chance your flight will come through here and 100% chance if you take the train. Can see the best stuff in a day -duomo, last supper, castello.

Well like I said, I'll let you know when I'm heading out to Italy and if you want to meet up for a couple of beers then that'd be cool.

I did go to Florence several years ago but I hated it. I think it was because I went with a tour group that spent the whole day walking museums..not my thing. I swear we must have walked ten miles of hallways that day and it went something like this...."hey look, a picture of the last supper...and there's christ on the cross....and there's one of the virgin mary, oh and look..that last supper, christ on the cross, virgin mary" repeat x1000. I gotta go back and see florence, not just the paintings in florence.

Well like I said, I'll let you know when I'm heading out to Italy and if you want to meet up for a couple of beers then that'd be cool.

I did go to Florence several years ago but I hated it. I think it was because I went with a tour group that spent the whole day walking museums..not my thing. I swear we must have walked ten miles of hallways that day and it went something like this...."hey look, a picture of the last supper...and there's christ on the cross....and there's one of the virgin mary, oh and look..that last supper, christ on the cross, virgin mary" repeat x1000. I gotta go back and see florence, not just the paintings in florence.

Ah, so you've been to the Uffizi! Just hanging out in the square where the (fake) David is along with the Giambolognas and the Perseus by Cellini is cool. There is a hell of a lot of good food in Florence - If you like your steak extremely rare and in two kilo hunks Florence is the place to be. I'm fond of the ribolita, which is a thick soup, almost a stew.

Most people love Rome and Florence, but hate Venice. Venice is cool, but all those bridges and tourist traps. I've had the two worst meals I've had in Italy in Venice because they will feed anything to tourists and it's often too hot and crowded to bother looking for a better place. Let me know before you come. If we can't meet up, I can at least give you some restaraunt tips and tourist tips. I spent three weeks in Rome wandering around while my wife was at a conference.

Ah, so you've been to the Uffizi! Just hanging out in the square where the (fake) David is along with the Giambolognas and the Perseus by Cellini is cool. There is a hell of a lot of good food in Florence - If you like your steak extremely rare and in two kilo hunks Florence is the place to be. I'm fond of the ribolita, which is a thick soup, almost a stew.

Most people love Rome and Florence, but hate Venice. Venice is cool, but all those bridges and tourist traps. I've had the two worst meals I've had in Italy in Venice because they will feed anything to tourists and it's often too hot and crowded to bother looking for a better place. Let me know before you come. If we can't meet up, I can at least give you some restaraunt tips and tourist tips. I spent three weeks in Rome wandering around while my wife was at a conference.

Yeah, I was actually kind of pissed when I saw the fake "David" because in all honesty there's not a bit of difference between that one and the real one that has a four hour wait on line to see. It's just because of MichaleAngelo being the artist for the original that makes it such a big deal.

As far as Venice goes, it's still one of my top five all time favorite cities. I'm sure a lot of that could have to do with the fact that it was the first city I visited outside of the US about 11 years ago. Personally I can't wait to go back to Venice and Rome. Loved them both.

I have heard though that both have gotten a hell of a lot worse with what they charge people for a meal. There's one restaurant in St. Marcs square that charges you to listen to the band they have playing. Only thing is, you don't find out until you get the bill. Yet you can eat at the restaurant right next to it and hear the same music free of charge.

Yeah, I was actually kind of pissed when I saw the fake "David" because in all honesty there's not a bit of difference between that one and the real one that has a four hour wait on line to see. It's just because of MichaleAngelo being the artist for the original that makes it such a big deal.

As far as Venice goes, it's still one of my top five all time favorite cities. I'm sure a lot of that could have to do with the fact that it was the first city I visited outside of the US about 11 years ago. Personally I can't wait to go back to Venice and Rome. Loved them both.

I have heard though that both have gotten a hell of a lot worse with what they charge people for a meal. There's one restaurant in St. Marcs square that charges you to listen to the band they have playing. Only thing is, you don't find out until you get the bill. Yet you can eat at the restaurant right next to it and hear the same music free of charge.

I was in San Marco for the Carnavale a couple of Sundays ago. There is a place on the piazza that charges 8.50 Euro for a cup of coffee. That's a 4 oz cup of espresso for over $12. You can get it for between .35 and .80 here in Milan and this is a ridiculously expensive city. In Rome you can find some better deals, especially if you head over to Trasteverre where the food is more authentic.

I was in San Marco for the Carnavale a couple of Sundays ago. There is a place on the piazza that charges 8.50 Euro for a cup of coffee. That's a 4 oz cup of espresso for over $12. You can get it for between .35 and .80 here in Milan and this is a ridiculously expensive city. In Rome you can find some better deals, especially if you head over to Trasteverre where the food is more authentic.

Ahhhh yes, Carnivale. My first trip to Venice was during Carnivale and it only made it that much better. Some amazing costumes and characters.

My parents went to Venice a couple of years ago after I had recommended it and my dad got in to a huge fight with the waiter in the restaurant they went in to because all they bought was two small bowls of spaghetti with a bit of sauce on it and they charged them $40.00. Unreal. I'll defitely do my homework before I head back to find out where to eat.

Archived