Cornerback at #6?

Barton

Dont look now but Rogers-Cromartie just ran a 4.28

Thats gonna put him in the top 10 whether we like it or not. He might be the BPA at 6 if both Longs, Ryan, Dmac, Ellis and Gholston are off the board. Hell, he might be the BPA at #6 even if guys like Ellis and Gholston are still available.

Personally, I dont mind the idea. Just get me a great football player at #6.

he was head and shoulders above any other CBs in the senior bowl. He along with Sedric Ellis played like men in a game against boys-does he also return kicks Barton?

I dont know if he returns kicks. But the guy is such a smooth corner. He was impressive at the senior bowl, like you said. His cousin is Antonio Cromartie, both are freak athletes. He'd really compliment Revis well.

Some people would pass on him just because he's a CB and we already have Revis, even if they think Cromartie is going to be great. I disagree, we need as many great players as we can get, regardless of their position.

I dont know if he returns kicks. But the guy is such a smooth corner. He was impressive at the senior bowl, like you said. His cousin is Antonio Cromartie, both are freak athletes. He'd really compliment Revis well.

Some people would pass on him just because he's a CB and we already have Revis, even if they think Cromartie is going to be great. I disagree, we need as many great players as we can get, regardless of their position.

let's face it Barton no position in the last 5 years has demanded bigger pay checks in free agency than the CB position-Champ Bailey (trade I know) Nate Clement last year Samuel this year. You have to be ready to spend upwards of 80 million if you want to sign a top CB in this league now-I wouldn't mind seeing him opposite Revis for the next 10 years

it would sort of suck having such a good secondary with such a weak pass rush. If this what happens it might be too late to fix the pass rush problem in the offseason, since FA's are going to be completed.

The move would make me nervous, but winning is a process and i think this could be a very good step in that process.

I'd take Leon McKelvin over him TBH, that being said I wouldn't take a CB at all.

Vernon Gholston was also incredibly impressive at the combine, if he's there I'd take him. I think there's a chance he could be a Shawn Merriman type player.

IMO we already have a future elite CB in Revis, and although it would be great to have 2 brilliant CB's I feel it's much more important to fix our main defensive problems which start with the pass rush. IMO Gholston may be the BPA and the player of need, that kind of opportunity has to be taken.

I'd take Leon McKelvin over him TBH, that being said I wouldn't take a CB at all.

Vernon Gholston was also incredibly impressive at the combine, if he's there I'd take him. I think there's a chance he could be a Shawn Merriman type player.

IMO we already have a future elite CB in Revis, and although it would be great to have 2 brilliant CB's I feel it's much more important to fix our main defensive problems which start with the pass rush. IMO Gholston may be the BPA and the player of need, that kind of opportunity has to be taken.

The pass rush can be helped tremendously when you have two CB's that can play on an island, which is what Mangini plans on doing anyway.

Plus, in a few years it would be impossible to keep everyone in the secondary the way the prices of FA cornerbacks are going. Rhodes will get resigned, that's a given, and then when Revis is due for renewal, then what do you do, make both CB's insanely rich? Yes, it's nice to have a nice secondary, but at the cost of the front seven? I'm not sure that's wise. It all starts up front. A good secondary can only do so much when the QB has time to make lunch and read the paper before deciding who he wants to throw to since our pass rush sucks.

The pass rush can be helped tremendously when you have two CB's that can play on an island, which is what Mangini plans on doing anyway.

I really don't know about that. 0 pass rush = 0 pass rush. I don't care if we have 4 all pros in the secondary we are never going to touch the quarterback with our current front 7 playing a 3-4 scheme.

Our defense will continue to suck until the front 7 is rebuilt.

How'd that turn out for the Denver Broncos this year with Bly and Bailey??? (See game vs Packers for details).

How'd the pass rushing option turn out for the Giants???

Exactly.

a cornerback at 6 sounds awesome besides revis we dont really have another great cornerback dyson is gettin old.. i hate barrett he is so slow and always out of position and justin miller i don think can turn into a every down cornerback he is just a playmaker so cornerback souns great but i think both Rodgers-Cromartie and McKelvin are gonna be sick so i really dont care if jets get either one and hopefully they get another 1st rounder to tackle the DE or Safety need.

I really don't know about that. 0 pass rush = 0 pass rush. I don't care if we have 4 all pros in the secondary we are never going to touch the quarterback with our current front 7 playing a 3-4 scheme.

If your corners can play man you can either bring your safeties down to cover others allowing the LB's to blitz or just blitz your safeties. So it does help the pass rush.

How'd that turn out for the Denver Broncos this year with Bly and Bailey??? (See game vs Packers for details).

How'd the pass rushing option turn out for the Giants???

Exactly.

The Broncos had trouble stopping the run more than anything and that was due to both a weak line and weak LB's.

The Giants watched tape of the Jets when preparing for New England. The Jets gave up less points than the Giants did to the Pats.

If your corners can play man you can either bring your safeties down to cover others allowing the LB's to blitz or just blitz your safeties. So it does help the pass rush.

Yes, but you shouldn't need to bring the entire defense on every down on a blitz just to have a pass-rush. I'd rather be able to get to the QB with just four players fairly consistently. Then you can mix in some other types of blitzes to keep everyone guessing. You shouldn't HAVE to blitz to generate a pass-rush. Right now, we HAVE to in order to get any pressure on the QB.

But vs teams with elite WR's (Patriots, Colts) you can't afford to take those types of risks. There are some WR's that are just impossible to cover 1 on 1 in this league and if that was the defensive tactic you'd rely on there is no chance of ever winning a SB because sooner or later a team with great WR's will tear that D to shreds.

I'm just going to cite IrishJet's earlier post when he pointed out that this idea failed with the 2007 Denver Broncos.

I'm just going to point out that you, like IrishJets obviously don't know anyone who played on the Broncos defense last year besides Bly, Bailey and Lynch.

The Broncos had trouble stopping the run more than anything and that was due to both a weak line and weak LB's.

The Giants watched tape of the Jets when preparing for New England. The Jets gave up less points than the Giants did to the Pats.

And the difference for the Jets will be that we have a strong D-line and LB's? You seriously must be binge drinking Mangini's kool-aid.

But vs teams with elite WR's (Patriots, Colts) you can't afford to take those types of risks. There are some WR's that are just impossible to cover 1 on 1 in this league and if that was the defensive tactic you'd rely on there is no chance of ever winning a SB because sooner or later a team with great WR's will tear that D to shreds.

You don't have to do it every down. Reveis was one on one vs moss a lot during second game verse the Pats. As a matter of fact, that is how he got his int. You can roll coverage from one side to the other and disguise it so the offense doesn't know where it's coming from if you have two great CB's too. There are a million things that 2 great CB's allow you to do as a defense.

I understand that you want us to fix the pass rush. But even if we do fix the pass rush, we'll still need another corner.

I agree but we don't need a great one desperately, I'd be happy with someone decent to play #2 as long as they're not a liability. TBH I wouldn't mind seeing Andre Dyson back, in 2006 he was very good and although he had a few howlers this year I think he could be an effective #2. He's also prone to injury though so it would be a pretty risky move.

And the difference for the Jets will be that we have a strong D-line and LB's? You seriously must be binge drinking Mangini's kool-aid.

I don't understand your point. Yes we will have to get a NT, and a guy like Pace. There are also other OLB's that can be had in the 2nd round.

I'm just going to point out that you, like IrishJets obviously don't know anyone who played on the Broncos defense last year besides Bly, Bailey and Lynch.

Ian Gold, that small DE who's a decent pass rusher but inconsistent, DJ williams, Jarvis Moss (not sure if he was starting).

That's off the top of my head.

Ian Gold, that small DE who's a decent pass rusher but inconsistent, DJ williams, Jarvis Moss (not sure if he was starting).

That's off the top of my head.

Why do you think they are trading for D Rob right now? It's because they couldn't stop the run. If they could stop the run it would have been a totally different situation.

You don't have to do it every down. Reveis was one on one vs moss a lot during second game verse the Pats. As a matter of fact, that is how he got his int. You can roll coverage from one side to the other and disguise it so the offense doesn't know where it's coming from if you have two great CB's too. There are a million things that 2 great CB's allow you to do as a defense.

There were a lot of plays (I can remember complaining about them) were Revis wasn't anywhere near Moss in that game. Not sure if he was 1 on 1 or not but even so it's a very dodgy strategy to employ full time.

Archived