From the Ledger

DonCorleone

NY Jets mull trades for Pro Bowl DTs

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger Thursday February 28, 2008, 6:00 AM

The Jets may be on the verge of filling the gigantic hole in the middle of their 3-4 defense with a Pro Bowler.

Although free agency starts tomorrow, the Jets have been in trade talks with the Carolina Panthers and Detroit Lions the past several days regarding Pro Bowl defensive tackles Kris Jenkins and Shaun Rogers, respectively, according to two people familiar with the Jets' intentions.

The two people requested anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the negotiations.

The Panthers and Lions are believed to be interested in Jets middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

Jenkins, 6-4, 350 pounds, or Rogers, 6-4, 345 pounds, would seem to be the perfect tonic for the Jets' ailing run defense, which ranked 29th in the NFL last season.

Jenkins, a three-time Pro Bowler, is considered the better and more motivated player. Rogers, however, is a two-time Pro Bowler. Both are entering their eighth season.

Vilma, who has been given permission to seek his own deal, was in Detroit yesterday taking a physical, The Star-Ledger confirmed last night. Vilma, the 2004 defensive rookie of the year, missed the final nine games of this past season following knee surgery.

In addition to Vilma, the Panthers also may be interested in nose tackle Dewayne Robertson or draft picks. Vilma, however, seems the likely target because Carolina recently cut middle linebacker Dan Morgan (repeated concussions) and are looking for someone to replace him.

The Jets are shopping Vilma and Robertson, both of whom are ill fits in their 3-4 scheme. A team spokesman declined to comment last night.

When healthy, Jenkins is regarded as one of the most dominant interior linemen in the league. He would require constant double teams, a must for any successful 3-4 defense.

Last season, Jenkins had 38 tackles and 2½ sacks in 16 games, the second straight season he played in every game. In 2004 and 2005, he played in just five games total because of right knee and left shoulder injuries.

Jenkins, a second-round pick out of Maryland in 2001, has been at odds with the Panthers' management for the past two seasons. Outspoken, he ripped the team following a loss to the Bucs early last season, calling their effort "garbage" and saying the team had "no heart, no energy and no drive," among other things.

He hasn't hidden his dislike for living in Charlotte, and reportedly isn't a big fan of coach John Fox.

Normally, the Jets would shy away from a player with a hint of character issues, but the team may think a change of scenery could help Jenkins. During his career, Jenkins has started 80 of 85 career games. He has 274 career tackles and 20½ sacks.

The Lions have tired of Rogers' inconsistent play and are looking to move him. Last season, however, he played well, recording 39 tackles and seven sacks in 16 games. Overall, Rogers has started 80 of 82 career games. He has 420 tackles and 29½ sacks.

At the NFL Combine in Indianapolis last week, the Jets told anyone who would listen that Vilma is available and gave the fourth-year pro permission to seek a deal with any team except the Patriots. The Panthers and the Lions play a 4-3 scheme, which Vilma has excelled in.

Robertson, who has a $12 million cap number in 2008, is also available but the club would likely welcome him back if he restructures his contract. If the Jets acquire Jenkins, Robertson could be moved to defensive end.

One thing that is ironic about all this is that everyone said Vilma isn't prospering because the NT is not taking up 2 blockers. Well now we're going to trade Vilma for the NT that would take up 2 blockers!!!

I'm all for dealing Vilma, I just chuckled at the irony.

One thing that is ironic about all this is that everyone said Vilma isn't prospering because the NT is not taking up 2 blockers. Well now we're going to trade Vilma for the NT that would take up 2 blockers!!!

I'm all for dealing Vilma, I just chuckled at the irony.

I was actually thinking about that. But then I recalled a few games in the past two years wher I actually saw Vilma having a clear shot at someone and actually being run over. By a RB.

I was actually thinking about that. But then I recalled a few games in the past two years wher I actually saw Vilma having a clear shot at someone and actually being run over. By a RB.

I agree... just the irony of the people here who screamed Vilma would dominate if we had a good NT now want to deal VILMA for that NT. :)

Robertson, who has a $12 million cap number in 2008, is also available but the club would likely welcome him back if he restructures his contract. If the Jets acquire Jenkins, Robertson could be moved to defensive end.

Count me in with this deal

I'd love to kep DRob at end....gives us sooooooo much flexability

this is the first I've heard about Kris Jenkins and I have to say I like the idea-in fact reading these articles this morning is giving me hope that the Jets and Woody are finally serious about trying to make this team a contender again BY being willing to spend money

Count me in with this deal

I'd love to kep DRob at end....gives us sooooooo much flexability

I've been a fan of this for a while. I like D-Rob and I really just think he's out of position (who doesn't think that) but they should try to re-do his deal and move him to DE.

I agree... just the irony of the people here who screamed Vilma would dominate if we had a good NT now want to deal VILMA for that NT. :)

It's painfully obvious that Vilma just doesn't fit in a 3-4 scheme. Look at what David Harris did game after game after replacing Vilma. THAT is a 3-4 linebacker.

Archived