Knicks Can Be Under Salary Cap In 2 Years

PeterNorth09

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

All they have to do is nothing and the Knicks team payroll is down to $28 million in 2010 - just two years from now. They would have roughly $15 million in cap room assuming the NBA salary cap isn't increased by then.

Lebron James, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudamire all have opt outs in their contract that same off-season. Could you imagine one of those players in a Knick uniform?

Ofcourse Dolan will never do it. Scumbag.

I don't think Dolan cares about the money or what players we have. His thing is just backing Thomas to a fault. the only way we do nothing for 2 years is if Thomas goes or i'm sure we will still be right where we are now.

they could've been under the cap at the end of layden's tenure by just doing nothing. but they hired isiah and he sabotaged the team.

I hated Layden also...i even forgot about him. Must of blocked it out of my head. We had all the Utah rejects for years.

They better let better not let Isiah make any stupid trades taking on payroll... After 2 years they should have 2 high draft picks and a lot of money to spend.

Exactly. The best case scenario is that the Knicks get a top 3 pick, draft Derrick Rose and then in the next two years let the contracts of Stephon Marbury, Malik Rose, Quentin Richardson and Jerome James expire so they'll be approx $15 mil under the cap by summer 2010.

By that time the Knicks could have a core of Derrick Rose, David Lee, another high lottery pick and one of that summer's superstar free agents (i.e. - Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Anthony, Amare).

If Lebron goes to the Nets that's fine, I'd actually prefer to get Chris Bosh instead. He's developing into a dominant big man and there's no way he'd choose to stay in Toronto over coming to New York.

As for the earlier comment about Layden he was an idiot too. Traded Camby, who is consistently top 5 in the league for blocked shots and rebounds, and the 8th pick in a stacked draft which would have been either Amare or Caron Butler for Antonio McDyess. That was maybe one of the biggest ass-rapings ever in basketball history. That happened right after he gave scrub Allan Houston a max contract and traded Patrick Ewing's expired contract. Layden was a horrible GM,

Agreed. He's coming to NY, just not the one I want him to come to. No way the Knicks don't do anything stupid in the next year and a half. Sorry, but I don't have much faith.

I'm willing to bet money Isiah is already shopping Stephon and Malik Rose's expiring contracts. Knicks will probably end up with Vince Carter and the 6 years remaining on his deal. Ugh.

Just let the damn contracts expire Isiah.

I'm willing to bet money Isiah is already shopping Stephon and Malik Rose's expiring contracts. Knicks will probably end up with Vince Carter and the 6 years remaining on his deal. Ugh.

Just let the damn contracts expire Isiah.

Awesome. Then he and Crawford can fight over who takes more shots. While they still don't win a damn thing.

Awesome. Then he and Crawford can fight over who takes more shots. While they still don't win a damn thing.

List of Free Agents The Knicks can sign in 2010 if they do nothing the next two years:

Lebron James (will be 26)

Amare Stoudamire (will be 28)

Chris Bosh (26)

Dwayne Wade (26)

Dirk Nowitzki (he'll only be 30 by then)

For the love of God Dolan get your head out of your 4th point of contact.

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing will improve the team, until they fire Zeke....

I agree, Isiah wants to turn the team around ASAP and prove all the doubters wrong. Too bad this is the only way to do it.

If he does nothing with Marbury and Rose's contracts tht's $28 mil coming off the cap after next season. That is an enormous step in the right direction plus if the Knicks draft Rose or Bayless they'll have a real PG who plays defense.

If they let Marbury and Rose contracts expire there are also four options they can choose not to pick up after next season. Making them even closer to getting under the cap:

Nate Robinson $2.9 mil

Renaldo Balkman $2 mil

Wilson Chandler $1.255 mil

Mardy Collins $1 mil

The only above player worth keeping around is Balkman. The rest of them suck. If the Knicks let Robinson, Chandler and Collins all go their cap number goes from $58.3 mil to $53 mil just one year from now. The Knicks would be roughly only $8 mil over the cap after next season.

Richardson and Jerome James come off the cap two years from now so that's another $16 mil. Add that to Fred Jones and Dan Dickau who already come off this year and the Knicks could very well be in the position to sign a superstar FA two years from now.

The X-factors are David Lee, he'd have to be resigned and this year's pick. Even if the Knicks resign Lee and pay their pick they would still be under the cap but if they play their cards right they would still have a lot of cap room come Summer 2010.

This ship can be righted. All that has to happen is Isiah and Steve Mills both get fired and Dolan has a heart attack.

Archived