Beating the shift??

Wolfe Jet

Can anyone explain why Giambi doesn't check-swing a dribbler up the 3rd base line when:

a) Youk is practically playing behind the 2nd base bag

B) Giambi isn't exactly off to a stellar start

I just can't understand this - at the very least if he tries & fouls off the pitch it'll make other teams second-guess shifting, thus opening the right side of the infield back up....

Here is the one thing I have never understood in all my years of watching and playing baseball or softball.

Why is it whenever a lefty is at the plate everyone does that kind of shift. You see it with Giambi, Bonds, Ortiz and even going all the way back to Ted Williams.

I mean are there no dead pull right handed hitters ?

I don't think you ever want to leave 1B unattended, Shawn. Someone has to be covering the bag, or it doesn't matter how many people you have on the third-base side to field the grounder.

yeah I guess. I guess he has a better shot of hitting it between 1st and 2nd then just pulling down the line.

For some reason that has always bothered me since I'm left-handed as well.

Here is the one thing I have never understood in all my years of watching and playing baseball or softball.

Why is it whenever a lefty is at the plate everyone does that kind of shift. You see it with Giambi, Bonds, Ortiz and even going all the way back to Ted Williams.

I mean are there no dead pull right handed hitters ?

If there is a runner on 1st, and you shifted to the left side of the infield to cover for a pull-hitting righty, the runner gets a 40 foot lead, and can walk to 2nd on the next pitch.

If no one is on base, then if you pull everyone to the left side, who covers 1st on a simple grounder to the infield.

The answer is that 1st is never left unattended, no mater who is up.

Archived