A Question

Kidhuman

Last night during the White Sox-Yankees game, something happened tat prompted me to think of this question.

Jason Giambi missed a foul ball pop up. Lets say, any player drops a ball in foul territory and is given an error, but on the next pitch the batter is retired. The pitcher tosses a perfect game, would it still be perfect even tough an error was made, or would it be a no hitter. Remember, the batter who hit the foul ball, is retired in order. It is a serious question. I would think he should et credit for pitching a perfect game because no one reached base.

Last night during the White Sox-Yankees game, something happened tat prompted me to think of this question.

Jason Giambi missed a foul ball pop up. Lets say, any player drops a ball in foul territory and is given an error, but on the next pitch the batter is retired. The pitcher tosses a perfect game, would it still be perfect even tough an error was made, or would it be a no hitter. Remember, the batter who hit the foul ball, is retired in order. It is a serious question. I would think he should et credit for pitching a perfect game because no one reached base.

I would be inclined to agree with you and Sharrow, perfect game.

I thought your only charged with an error if the batter reaches, or another player moves to another base, because of it.

What i'm saying is if Jeter drops a ball, then throws out the guy it's not an error, beause noone reached, and noone advanced.

Therefore Giambi shouldn't get an error anyway.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/rules_regulations.jsp

Perfect games and No-hitters:

An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

An official no-hit game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) allows no hits during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a no-hit game, a batter may reach base via a walk, an error, a hit by pitch, a passed ball or wild pitch on strike three, or catcher's interference.

According to MLB rules & regulations it would be a perfect game since no batter reached first base. The player must reach base on the error to ruin a perfect game.

Archived