Maddux finally notches no. 350

Lil Bit Special

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/2008/may/10/maddux-gets-350th-career-win-padres-beat-rockies-3/

Trevor Hoffman pumped his fist and screamed "yeah" twice as Padres infielders Tadahito Iguchi and Khalil Greene turned a game-ending double play Saturday night.

Hoffman was extra excited, not only because the Padres had won for just the fifth time in 23 games, 3-2 over the Rockies, but also because he had secured Greg Maddux's 350th career victory.

The all-time saves leader gave the ball to Maddux.

"I'll take any free ball I can get," Maddux quipped.

Hoffman keeps most of his save balls so he can store them at his Del Mar home, but he insisted that Maddux take save No. 530 because it was was the future Hall of Famer's 350th win.

"I wouldn't have felt like keeping the 350th," Hoffman said.

Maddux called it a "cool" gesture, then explained that the best part for him is handing the ball to a loved one. "I'll give it to my kid, let him go play with it," Maddux said.

Unsuccessful in his previous four attempts to get his 350th win, Maddux (3-3) gave up only one run in six innings Saturday night.

Adrian Gonzalez slugged a three-run, opposite-field home run off Ubaldo Jimenez (1-3) for a 3-0 lead in the fourth.

Cla Meredith threw a scoreless seventh. The Rockies pulled to 3-2 by scoring against Heath Bell in the eighth. But Hoffman, whose blown save on April 23 had denied Maddux No. 350, overcame a leadoff walk to Todd Helton.

Maddux remained ninth on the all-time victory chart, four behind Roger Clemens, but he became the first pitcher to reach 350 since Clemens defeated the Twins last July.

Maddux said he was "never really too concerned" about getting No. 350, described most of his milestone victories as "cool" and said winning in the postseason is "really cool."

He seemed especially happy for catcher Luke Carlin, who was making his major league debut and caught a future Hall of Famer in Maddux and a probable Hall of Famer in Hoffman.

"He gave a real good target," Maddux said. "He looked like he actually had fun."

Carlin was still grinning well after the game.

"It was kind of like all of my dreams came true at once," said the 27-year-old, who was drafted by the Tigers in 2002 and played six-plus seasons in the minors.

"It was a privilege, an honor. I'm pretty much speechless. How could anybody envision this?"

It wasn't all dreamlike for Carlin, who struck out three times and abetted the Rockies with an eighth-inning passed ball.

Maddux goofed, too; after fielding a bunt by speedy Willy Taveras, he threw a slider wide of first baseman Gonzalez for a two-base error that led to the only run he allowed. But his career constants -- exceptional pitch movement and a talent for changing speeds -- carried him.

"Greg will have movement when he's throwing to his grandchildren," manager Bud Black said. "He'll change speeds to his grandson, probably."

Ending a five-game losing streak, the Padres stole four bases for the first time this season. Three were against the talented but laborious Jimenez, who has allowed opponents 24 stolen bases in 25 tries.

Brian Giles said the Padres wanted to exploit that opportunity. Not that it was a wrinkle, but Black made sure that his first reliever -- in this case Meredith -- had a chance to start a clean inning.

Maddux had thrown only 68 pitches when Black enlisted the sidewinder. This bullpen has been poor at stranding inherited runners, allowing 21 of 32 to score entering Saturday night. Within the organization, there's a belief that the bullpen can improve if more relievers can start innings.

Opponents have been pitching around Gonzalez, the team's best hitter, but Tadahito Iguchi's walk and stolen base, a walk by Giles and a passed ball by Yorvit Torrealba created a first-and-third chance for him with none out in the fourth, and he belted Jimenez's outside, 2-2 fastball over the wall. The pitch was off the outside corner, but Gonzalez uses a 35-inch bat, 1-2 inches longer than the norm.

"I was able to drop the barrel on it and he throws 95, so it didn't take much," he said.

Tom Krasovic: (619) 293-2207; tom.krasovic@uniontrib.com

Archived