Brad Smith A Spokesperson

Lil Bit Special

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080609005889&newsLang=en

HERNDON, Va.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

RCN, a local leading provider of fiber optic triple-play high-speed internet, digital cable and phone services, today announced that Justin Tuck, a defensive end for the world champion Giants, and Brad Smith, a wide receiver for the New York Jets are the newest spokespersons for RCN’s New York market.

“As the first triple-play provider to compete in New York, RCN is excited to have Justin and Brad, who both are such versatile and multi-talented competitors, to represent our company,” said Tony Ontiveros, Vice President & General Manager of RCN New York.

“With our wide selection of choices in products, services and pricing, RCN likes to say that we connect our customers to something more. With their proven and valuable talents on the field and their active volunteer efforts in the community off the field, we believe they personify that message of something more.”

Justin Tuck, a graduate of Notre Dame, is entering his fourth year as a Giant. Last season, he finished with 65 total tackles (48 solo), and 10 sacks, including two and a half in the Super Bowl. He is also one of the most active Giants players in the NYC community, working on behalf of Muscular Dystrophy, Ronald McDonald House, and Toys for Tots Literacy Program; reading in local schools; donating his time to local food banks; and creating a new foundation to promote education and literacy.

“As a football team we always focus on the ultimate goal, which is to win the Super Bowl, nobody wants to settle for anything less,” said Tuck. “I’m glad to partner with RCN, because they too are a winning team that strives for excellence and being the best. As a triple-play defensive threat on the football field, I look forward to being on the offense off the field in showcasing RCN’s triple play digital cable, internet and phone strengths.”

Brad Smith, the third-year wideout receiver for the Jets, graduated from the University of Missouri. Smith was a four-year starter and never missed a game in his career as a Tiger. He finished his collegiate career as the Division 1-A all-time leader in rushing yards by a quarterback and as the first player in NCAA history to pass for 8,000 yards and rush for 4,000 yards. He is also the Tigers record-holder for career rushing yards, touchdown passes, total yards and total points scored. In two seasons with the Jets, he has shown his versatility, playing a multitude of positions, including wide receiver, running back, quarterback and special teams.

“Having had the opportunity to be involved in several phases of the Jets’ offense has given me a broader perspective on how important everyone on the field is in order for us to win,” said Smith. “I get the same sense from RCN. They are also a great company that cares and is very active in the community, which is important to me in terms of a partner. When I visit area hospitals and spend time with the children, I know how important it is to give back to the local community.”

Smith and Tuck join a distinguished list of local RCN spokespersons. Former Boston Red Sox player Jim Rice was recently announced as spokesperson for RCN’s Boston market. Hall of Famer and former Chicago Cubs second baseman, Ryne Sandberg, is RCN’s spokesperson for its Chicago market.

RCN is a 2007 & 2008 sponsor of the Manhattan Island Foundation’s series of summer swim events, including the famed Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (MIMS), which is part of the triple crown of marathon swimming, together with the English Channel and the Catalina Channel swims. In addition, RCN's sponsorship supported the Foundation's work with the New York City Parks Department's Learn-to-Swim program.

RCN is also a sponsor of the 8th Annual Nautica New York City Triathlon to be held on July 20, 2008.

RCN is also the 2008 official sponsor of the Brooklyn Cyclones professional minor league team. The company will support the Cyclones “24 Hours of Baseball” community event by donating $50 for every run scored by the Cyclones’ management.

This charity fundraising effort benefits United Way of New York City’s Housing Help, Autism Speaks, HeartShare Human Services of New York, and the New York-Penn League Charitable Foundation (NYPLCF).

Archived