Movies We've Seen Thread

Just watched The Tree of Life with Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. It was trippy and not so much a linear narrative, but a visual expression of how one comes to be who they are (I think). It's deeply philosophical and beautiful to watch, but the lack if a standard-issue storyline can be frustrating. Brad Pitt is great in it as a beaten-down father in the 1950's who, in the course of trying to prepare his sons for the inherent miseries of life, ends up making Sean Penn a ridiculously depressed (if wealthy) adult. A long movie, definitely not for everybody, but overall a great film if you appreciate artistry and ambiguity in lieu of nuts-and-bolts storytelling.

Edited by T0mShane

Speaking of which, Biutiful--Another long movie, this one with subtitles, that should earn Javier Bardem an Oscar. He's a terminally ill man desperately trying to provide for his two kids before he dies. I watched it, impressed but not blown away, for two hours, then found myself weeping like a baby when it ended. A great movie for those with patience.

Edited by T0mShane

I saw Tree of Life, and I'd like to see it again. There's a lot to take in. My son was with me, and he hated it. There were people grumbling in the theater, "I hope it's finally over." Definitely not for everyone.

Rumor has it that the director's interested in making a 6 hour director's cut version. :blink:

In the meantime, I plan on checking out other Terrance Malick flicks. The Thin Red Line and New World are available streaming on Netflix, I believe.

I saw Tree of Life, and I'd like to see it again. There's a lot to take in. My son was with me, and he hated it. There were people grumbling in the theater, "I hope it's finally over." Definitely not for everyone.

Rumor has it that the director's interested in making a 6 hour director's cut version. :blink:

In the meantime, I plan on checking out other Terrance Malick flicks. The Thin Red Line and New World are available streaming on Netflix, I believe.

I'm definitely going to have to check out Tree of Life again. I totally wasn't prepared for what it was. I knew it was gorgeous, but i was still like, "WTF dinosaurs?"

I saw Thin Red Line when it came out. It's a really contemplative, slow-moving war movie. I'd like to check that one out again--I went in expecting Platoon and came out scratching my head.

Speaking of which, Biutiful--Another long movie, this one with subtitles, that should earn Javier Bardem an Oscar. He's a terminally ill man desperately trying to provide for his two kids before he dies. I watched it, impressed but not blown away, for two hours, then found myself weeping like a baby when it ended. A great movie for those with patience.

He was nominated last year for his role in this movie -- Of course he lost to the stuttering King

Not trying to be nitpicky here.

He was nominated last year for his role in this movie -- Of course he lost to the stuttering King

Not trying to be nitpicky here.

Oh snap. Good looking out. I saw both of them. I thought King's Speech was a little over-rated, but I can see why they gave it to Firth.

Just watched The Tree of Life with Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. It was trippy and not so much a linear narrative, but a visual expression of how one comes to be who they are (I think). It's deeply philosophical and beautiful to watch, but the lack if a standard-issue storyline can be frustrating. Brad Pitt is great in it as a beaten-down father in the 1950's who, in the course of trying to prepare his sons for the inherent miseries of life, ends up making Sean Penn a ridiculously depressed (if wealthy) adult. A long movie, definitely not for everybody, but overall a great film if you appreciate artistry and ambiguity in lieu of nuts-and-bolts storytelling.

tits_or_gtfo.jpg

Ip Man, the scene where Donnie Yen takes on ten black belts is one of the best Kung Fu sequences of all time. And epics simply do not get better than 13 Assassins.

Did you see Ip Man 2? Simply brilliant. The final fight scene was breathtaking. Ip Man was great, too. 13 Assassins was the shiznit. I didn't think I'd ever see a battle scene like that made in contemporary cinema--so patient and unwilling to just give in to the quick, generic, balletic fight scenes that plague so many movies these days.

i loved "midnight in paris"

Saw that tonight. It felt like every Woody Allen movie of the last twenty years (except for the great Match Point). We get it, Woody: wealthy people are vapid and wry. Doesn't make them interesting. Glad to see Owen Wilson in something legit, though.

Did you see Ip Man 2? Simply brilliant. The final fight scene was breathtaking. Ip Man was great, too. 13 Assassins was the shiznit. I didn't think I'd ever see a battle scene like that made in contemporary cinema--so patient and unwilling to just give in to the quick, generic, balletic fight scenes that plague so many movies these days.

That one scene where the camera panned across and showed Hirayama waiting in that huge alley way of swords was incredible. The whole thing was incredible. I can't wait to own that one so I can watch it whenever I want. Haven't enjoyed a MA film that much since Hero, and to tell you the truth 13 Assassins beats it into the ground.

Haven't seen part 2 yet. Have to find a version with subtitles on Blu Ray, the iTunes version with the voiceovers ruined a lot of the non-action scenes, which is what usually happens.

That one scene where the camera panned across and showed Hirayama waiting in that huge alley way of swords was incredible. The whole thing was incredible. I can't wait to own that one so I can watch it whenever I want. Haven't enjoyed a MA film that much since Hero, and to tell you the truth 13 Assassins beats it into the ground.

Haven't seen part 2 yet. Have to find a version with subtitles on Blu Ray, the iTunes version with the voiceovers ruined a lot of the non-action scenes, which is what usually happens.

I'll be buying 13 Assassins, too. Just a fantastic film. I still believe Miike resisted the urge to go for more Ichi the Killer-style sadism and gore.

The dub on Ip Man 2 is not good. Smart to wait on the subtitles. 2 has a definite Rocky feel to it--it's obvious that it's intended for Western audiences, as well, but it's not too compromised that way. If you liked 1, you'll like 2.

Saw that tonight. It felt like every Woody Allen movie of the last twenty years (except for the great Match Point). We get it, Woody: wealthy people are vapid and wry. Doesn't make them interesting. Glad to see Owen Wilson in something legit, though.

Cmon Tom.. no way you have seen most of the woody allen movies over the past 20 yrs..Vicky Cristina Barcalona was terrific and really wasnt his usual storyline..

If we want to start making generalizations.. i could do the same thing about psudeo intellectuals who think they are better then the rest of us..... but i wont do that... LOL

The dub on Ip Man 2 is not good. Smart to wait on the subtitles. 2 has a definite Rocky feel to it--it's obvious that it's intended for Western audiences, as well, but it's not too compromised that way. If you liked 1, you'll like 2.

I think they hired former Sesame Street actors to do the dubbing.

Cmon Tom.. no way you have seen most of the woody allen movies over the past 20 yrs..Vicky Cristina Barcalona was terrific and really wasnt his usual storyline..

If we want to start making generalizations.. i could do the same thing about psudeo intellectuals who think they are better then the rest of us..... but i wont do that... LOL

I love how you're the only human alive that thinks I pretend toward anything even remotely related to intellectualism.

should we start a poll?? :D

Tom Shane is a sneaky "pseudo intellectual who thinks he's better than the rest of us." The rest of them are as subtle as a sledge hammer.

BTW, how can you possible watch anything involving Woody Allen? As far as I am concerned he's an incestuous pedophile. I wouldn't give him a penny of my money.

Edited by Garb

Green Lantern was a smelly ******* turd. And it's really disappointing because Green Lantern is by far one of the coolest and most original comic book story lines out there. Really don't get why studios are ignoring the Nolan model and still sticking with the Daredevil/Fantastic Four scheme. Especially considering they're supposed to be making this one into a trilogy. Getting to look at Blake Lively for 2 hours wasn't so bad though.