Some Jets news and football articles 6/19/08

Kentucky Jet

NFL Headlines

MVN - an NFL and pro football blog

The NFL Source

Buffalo Bills cause fear and loathing in Toronto

By Anthony Brown | June 17th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

It seems the Buffalo Bills’ decision to play games in Toronto, Ontario, (that’s in Canada for the geo-challenged) has caused a degree of angst North of the border.

Canadian Senator Larry Campbell has drafted a bill that would ban NFL games from Canada to protect the Canadian Football League, according to a story on NationalPost.com.

“We have a vibrant league. We have millions of people who watch it. We have a much more exciting brand of football. And let me tell you, I’m an NFL fan. I’ve gone to the last two Super Bowls, so it’s not like I’m anti-NFL. I just don’t need it in Canada.”

The Bills’ move to play two exhibition games and a regular season game in Toronto in each of the next five seasons is seen as a precursor to NFL expansion. Toronto has a CFL team in the Argonauts whose regular season begins June 27 in a game against Winnipeg.

Toronto is the home of the MLB Blue Jays and the NBA Raptors. Twenty thousand Canadians cross the border to attend Buffalo Bills home games and a like number may reciprocate by crossing to border to watch the Bills in Canada. Indeed, the Toronto Argonauts are dangling priority access to the Bills games as an enticement sell new season tickets.

News of Buffalo’s plan for Toronto led the CFL to end a formal working agreement with the NFL for access to CFL players in return for financing that was desperately needed in the mid-90s. The Americans loaned the Canadians $3 million in 1997. The Canadians allowed CFL players to leave for the NFL during the option year of their contracts.

The CFL is in stronger financial health, but the option to bolt for the NFL is baked into the CFL’s collective bargaining agreement and will continue. The CFL is unlikely to convince American players to give up a shot at a NFL club.

Mr. Campbell is not convinced that the Bills won’t be a threat to the CFL.

“I plan on trying to make it very difficult for the NFL to come into Canada, and I expect that I am going to call upon politicians, both in the Senate and the House [of Commons], to stand up,” the Senator said.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 at 10:38 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

NFL Headlines

MVN - an NFL and pro football blog

The NFL Source

Buffalo Bills cause fear and loathing in Toronto

By Anthony Brown | June 17th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

It seems the Buffalo Bills’ decision to play games in Toronto, Ontario, (that’s in Canada for the geo-challenged) has caused a degree of angst North of the border.

Canadian Senator Larry Campbell has drafted a bill that would ban NFL games from Canada to protect the Canadian Football League, according to a story on NationalPost.com.

“We have a vibrant league. We have millions of people who watch it. We have a much more exciting brand of football. And let me tell you, I’m an NFL fan. I’ve gone to the last two Super Bowls, so it’s not like I’m anti-NFL. I just don’t need it in Canada.”

The Bills’ move to play two exhibition games and a regular season game in Toronto in each of the next five seasons is seen as a precursor to NFL expansion. Toronto has a CFL team in the Argonauts whose regular season begins June 27 in a game against Winnipeg.

Toronto is the home of the MLB Blue Jays and the NBA Raptors. Twenty thousand Canadians cross the border to attend Buffalo Bills home games and a like number may reciprocate by crossing to border to watch the Bills in Canada. Indeed, the Toronto Argonauts are dangling priority access to the Bills games as an enticement sell new season tickets.

News of Buffalo’s plan for Toronto led the CFL to end a formal working agreement with the NFL for access to CFL players in return for financing that was desperately needed in the mid-90s. The Americans loaned the Canadians $3 million in 1997. The Canadians allowed CFL players to leave for the NFL during the option year of their contracts.

The CFL is in stronger financial health, but the option to bolt for the NFL is baked into the CFL’s collective bargaining agreement and will continue. The CFL is unlikely to convince American players to give up a shot at a NFL club.

Mr. Campbell is not convinced that the Bills won’t be a threat to the CFL.

“I plan on trying to make it very difficult for the NFL to come into Canada, and I expect that I am going to call upon politicians, both in the Senate and the House [of Commons], to stand up,” the Senator said.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 at 10:38 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

June 18, 2008 12:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time

The Boomer Esiason Foundation Announces the 13th Annual Outback Steakhouse Empire Challenge

Top High School Football Talent Play to Fight CF

FanFest, Outback Steakhouse Tailgate Highlight Day-Long Events at James M. Shuart Stadium - Hofstra University

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For the thirteenth consecutive year, the brightest football talent from New York City and Long Island will be the centerpiece of a football extravaganza that will raise money and awareness to fight cystic fibrosis and support youth football in the New York metropolitan area.

Boomer Esiason, former NFL quarterback and analyst for both CBS Sports, ”Monday Night Football “ and co-host on WFAN’s morning radio show, “ Boomer and Carton in the Morning ”, announced today the details of the thirteenth annual Outback Steakhouse Empire Challenge all-star football game which will be held on June 24 at the James M. Shuart Stadium at Hofstra University.

Created by Esiason in 1996 as a benefit for the Boomer Esiason Foundation; the Gunnar H. Esiason Endowment Scholarship Fund at Hofstra University, as well as local youth football programs, the event has become the crowning goal of high school football players throughout the New York metropolitan area.

Kickoff for the thirteenth anniversary event is set for 7:30 p.m. with gates opening at 6:30 p.m.

A series of pre-game and post-game activities are also planned. Tickets are $15 per person and are available at the James M. Shuart Stadium ticket booth on game day. Ticket sales begin at 5:30 p.m.

“The support of organizations including the NY Jets, Canon USA, USA Football, and Outback Steakhouse is a great example of how corporate America can make an impact in bettering the communities where employees work and live,” said Esiason. “Their support for the Foundation will be used to improve the lives of all those afflicted with cystic fibrosis. With the support of these, and other corporate sponsor relationships, the Boomer Esiason Foundation has raised over $60 million to date.”

For a complete schedule of team practices and workouts, and other events surrounding the game, please contact Lou Desiderio at 917-627-0912 or lou@pr-synergy.com

Contacts

Editorial:

Boomer Esiason Foundation

Mike Buscemi, 516-746-0077

or

Synergy Communications, Inc.

Lou Desiderio, 917-627-0912

lou@pr-synergy.com

or

Empire Challenge Web Site

www.empirechallenge.com

or

BEF Web Site

www.esiason.org

June 18, 2008 12:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time

The Boomer Esiason Foundation Announces the 13th Annual Outback Steakhouse Empire Challenge

Top High School Football Talent Play to Fight CF

FanFest, Outback Steakhouse Tailgate Highlight Day-Long Events at James M. Shuart Stadium - Hofstra University

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For the thirteenth consecutive year, the brightest football talent from New York City and Long Island will be the centerpiece of a football extravaganza that will raise money and awareness to fight cystic fibrosis and support youth football in the New York metropolitan area.

Boomer Esiason, former NFL quarterback and analyst for both CBS Sports, ”Monday Night Football “ and co-host on WFAN’s morning radio show, “ Boomer and Carton in the Morning ”, announced today the details of the thirteenth annual Outback Steakhouse Empire Challenge all-star football game which will be held on June 24 at the James M. Shuart Stadium at Hofstra University.

Created by Esiason in 1996 as a benefit for the Boomer Esiason Foundation; the Gunnar H. Esiason Endowment Scholarship Fund at Hofstra University, as well as local youth football programs, the event has become the crowning goal of high school football players throughout the New York metropolitan area.

Kickoff for the thirteenth anniversary event is set for 7:30 p.m. with gates opening at 6:30 p.m.

A series of pre-game and post-game activities are also planned. Tickets are $15 per person and are available at the James M. Shuart Stadium ticket booth on game day. Ticket sales begin at 5:30 p.m.

“The support of organizations including the NY Jets, Canon USA, USA Football, and Outback Steakhouse is a great example of how corporate America can make an impact in bettering the communities where employees work and live,” said Esiason. “Their support for the Foundation will be used to improve the lives of all those afflicted with cystic fibrosis. With the support of these, and other corporate sponsor relationships, the Boomer Esiason Foundation has raised over $60 million to date.”

For a complete schedule of team practices and workouts, and other events surrounding the game, please contact Lou Desiderio at 917-627-0912 or lou@pr-synergy.com

Contacts

Editorial:

Boomer Esiason Foundation

Mike Buscemi, 516-746-0077

or

Synergy Communications, Inc.

Lou Desiderio, 917-627-0912

lou@pr-synergy.com

or

Empire Challenge Web Site

www.empirechallenge.com

or

BEF Web Site

www.esiason.org

The Guy who wrote this should get a Medal

I feel the same way, NFL Teams and AFC Teams beware, These are not the "Same Ole Jets" any more. I have a New Hero,The writer of this Awesome Read.

GO JETS!!!!!!!

I feel the same way. When I saw this article, I knew that I had to bring it here. It is time for us to romp!

The Guy who wrote this should get a Medal

I feel the same way, NFL Teams and AFC Teams beware, These are not the "Same Ole Jets" any more. I have a New Hero,The writer of this Awesome Read.

GO JETS!!!!!!!

I feel the same way. When I saw this article, I knew that I had to bring it here. It is time for us to romp!

I've been afraid to say it, but I have the same feeling.

The National media keeps on saying "Even with all the FA's the Jets brought in they still have major holes"

I don't see it

Of course there is the QB situation. I'm holding my breath Clemens can play. If not. I think Pennington can be adequate

The OL looks solid. The Jets seem to be loaded at RB, WR's are good, if Stuckey stays healthy, they might be outstanding.

I hope Baker is on the team, but even if he isn't, the TE's should be a major contributor. All in all, the offense might not be flashy, but I think it will be very good.

The defensive line should be solid and very tough. I think Jenkins is going to be the major pick up this off season.. Coleman's a good tough 3-4 DE. Ellis is getting older, but the Dude is still very tough. I've liked Mosley since he came out. I think he has found his spot.

The LB's have a chance to be special. Assuming Pace, and Gholston are as advertised, and I don't see why not. this may be an excellent unit.

The Jets have two DB's playing at a near Pro Bowl level.. I'm probably in a minority on this, but I really like Elam last season. I've been a fan of the Miller pick since the Jets made it. It looks like the kid has finally got his head on right. If he does the Jets will have 2 #1 CB's.

Of course a lot could go wrong between now and then, like injuries, but right now I think this is a very good team.

I've been afraid to say it, but I have the same feeling.

The National media keeps on saying "Even with all the FA's the Jets brought in they still have major holes"

I don't see it

Of course there is the QB situation. I'm holding my breath Clemens can play. If not. I think Pennington can be adequate

The OL looks solid. The Jets seem to be loaded at RB, WR's are good, if Stuckey stays healthy, they might be outstanding.

I hope Baker is on the team, but even if he isn't, the TE's should be a major contributor. All in all, the offense might not be flashy, but I think it will be very good.

The defensive line should be solid and very tough. I think Jenkins is going to be the major pick up this off season.. Coleman's a good tough 3-4 DE. Ellis is getting older, but the Dude is still very tough. I've liked Mosley since he came out. I think he has found his spot.

The LB's have a chance to be special. Assuming Pace, and Gholston are as advertised, and I don't see why not. this may be an excellent unit.

The Jets have two DB's playing at a near Pro Bowl level.. I'm probably in a minority on this, but I really like Elam last season. I've been a fan of the Miller pick since the Jets made it. It looks like the kid has finally got his head on right. If he does the Jets will have 2 #1 CB's.

Of course a lot could go wrong between now and then, like injuries, but right now I think this is a very good team.

a lot of what the media likes to look at as holes are positions that produce tangible numbers. Running backs, QB's and WR's. They don't see that brining in two strong run blocking linemen upgrades all five linemen positions and the RB position. All they want to say is that since we had a weak Oline last year and 3/5ths of them are back this year, they must still suck.

Another position the media would miss out on, is the secondary. They are still under the assumption that DB's take over games, which is not the case. It's all pass rush, the Jets brought in two OLBers and have another former ten sack guy in BT that may be pushed to earn his contract. Couple that with a five sack in 9 games ILBer we may have one of the better pass rushes in the league.

To me, it looks like a team that is ready to play very stout defense against the run and the pass and a team that can run the football.

I'm with you flgreen, i see this being a very competetive team.

a lot of what the media likes to look at as holes are positions that produce tangible numbers. Running backs, QB's and WR's. They don't see that brining in two strong run blocking linemen upgrades all five linemen positions and the RB position. All they want to say is that since we had a weak Oline last year and 3/5ths of them are back this year, they must still suck.

Another position the media would miss out on, is the secondary. They are still under the assumption that DB's take over games, which is not the case. It's all pass rush, the Jets brought in two OLBers and have another former ten sack guy in BT that may be pushed to earn his contract. Couple that with a five sack in 9 games ILBer we may have one of the better pass rushes in the league.

To me, it looks like a team that is ready to play very stout defense against the run and the pass and a team that can run the football.

I'm with you flgreen, i see this being a very competetive team.

I strongly agree with this statement. The Jets only had 29 sacks last season. If all goes well, I suspect they will be in the 50's this year. Your point about Thomas is well taken. We know Thomas can rush the passer when he wants to. If he doesn't want to this year, he will be gone.

We all saw in the Super Bowl the impact a big pass rush can have on big games, and teams that rely on a big passing game.

We are indeed a rather strong team on paper.

The problem we are going to face this year IMO will be due more to lack of chemistry then lack of talent. When you bring in five or six new starters in a single offseason, have a disgruntled TE, and a huge controversy as to who is going to be leading the offense, there are going to be chemistry concerns - no matter how talented your team is.

This is a big part of my reasoning for predicting that the Jets will not win more then 10 games this season. As we continue to grow as a unit and continue to add some new draft picks next offseason, we will hopefully be in a good place next season to take the league and turn it upside down.

SB in 09!

Archived