Mets' Church on the DL again

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmside0709,0,4852361,print.story

For the second time this season, Mets outfielder Ryan Church was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with head-related injuries.

After coming out of Saturday's game against Philadelphia with a migraine, Church, who went on the DL in June with post-concussion syndrome, returned to New York for an MRI exam. Although the MRI ruled out another concussion for Church, he told general manager Omar Minaya he did not feel completely healthy.

"I don't feel 100 percent and I can't keep going out there and running myself down into the ground," Church said before Tuesday's game against San Francisco. "I just feel like I'm hurting this team not being able to do anything."

Rather than keep Church day-to-day, Minaya said the team chose to take advantage of the All-Star break and discuss a strategy with the medical staff. The Mets called up Nick Evans to fill the roster spot.

Church, who said he has suffered migraines dating to his teen years, said he is not sure if the migraine symptoms he's been experiencing recently are related to his previous concussions (he suffered one in spring training, as well).

"I still have the aches, the pains. When I move my head a little bit, I can feel my brain swishing around a little bit. That's what happens when I have migraines," Church said.

He said he hoped to get the situation figured out over the next couple of weeks. "Hopefully, we narrow this down and can get it taken care of during this DL stint."

Minaya said the team will discuss options over the next two weeks, and will consider alternative opinions on his medical care. If Church is not ready to return after the 15-day period, Minaya conceded that he may need to address some needs before the trade deadline.

"I'm always hopeful that these guys are gonna be OK," Minaya said. "If they're not OK, we'll have to consider the marketplace, but I'm hopeful they'll be OK."

A questioner asked Church about the chances of shutting down for the rest of the season if his condition doesn't improve after the DL stint.

"That's probably the last route I could take," Church said. "I haven't really thought about it, but that would be the worst case."

Minaya said that possibility would be addressed by the medical staff and the team.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmside0709,0,4852361,print.story

For the second time this season, Mets outfielder Ryan Church was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with head-related injuries.

After coming out of Saturday's game against Philadelphia with a migraine, Church, who went on the DL in June with post-concussion syndrome, returned to New York for an MRI exam. Although the MRI ruled out another concussion for Church, he told general manager Omar Minaya he did not feel completely healthy.

"I don't feel 100 percent and I can't keep going out there and running myself down into the ground," Church said before Tuesday's game against San Francisco. "I just feel like I'm hurting this team not being able to do anything."

Rather than keep Church day-to-day, Minaya said the team chose to take advantage of the All-Star break and discuss a strategy with the medical staff. The Mets called up Nick Evans to fill the roster spot.

Church, who said he has suffered migraines dating to his teen years, said he is not sure if the migraine symptoms he's been experiencing recently are related to his previous concussions (he suffered one in spring training, as well).

"I still have the aches, the pains. When I move my head a little bit, I can feel my brain swishing around a little bit. That's what happens when I have migraines," Church said.

He said he hoped to get the situation figured out over the next couple of weeks. "Hopefully, we narrow this down and can get it taken care of during this DL stint."

Minaya said the team will discuss options over the next two weeks, and will consider alternative opinions on his medical care. If Church is not ready to return after the 15-day period, Minaya conceded that he may need to address some needs before the trade deadline.

"I'm always hopeful that these guys are gonna be OK," Minaya said. "If they're not OK, we'll have to consider the marketplace, but I'm hopeful they'll be OK."

A questioner asked Church about the chances of shutting down for the rest of the season if his condition doesn't improve after the DL stint.

"That's probably the last route I could take," Church said. "I haven't really thought about it, but that would be the worst case."

Minaya said that possibility would be addressed by the medical staff and the team.

Damn that's not a good sign. I hope he's going to be alright long term. We're gonna miss his bat in the mean time. He was a very good pickup in the off season IMO.

Archived