Jets news articles & other football news- 7/10/08

Kentucky Jet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home > Commentary > Columns

Half good, half bad

First-round picks are usually a toss-up — so let's make calls on this year's class

By Eric Edholm (eedholm@pfwmedia.com)

July 8, 2008

If the NFL draft is a crapshoot, then picking in the first round might as well be a coin flip. As in, half the picks end up doing well, half don’t.

Historically, that is how it has been. And though none of the players has taken anything close to a meaningful snap in the NFL, I have an idea who I think ultimately will be worth a first-round selection, and who won’t.Don’t believe me on the 50-50 notion? If it does indeed take three years to evaluate a draft, let’s take a look back at the 2005 edition.

In the “boom” category, I have: Braylon Edwards, DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Jammal Brown, Derrick Johnson, Jason Campbell, Roddy White, Luis Castillo, Marlin Jackson, Heath Miller, Mike Patterson and Logan Mankins. It’s probably too early to make a call on guys like Ronnie Brown or Pacman — er, Adam — Jones or Aaron Rodgers, so for sake of argument, let’s call them potential booms.That’s 16. The other 16 guys drafted that year, for whatever reason, haven’t panned out as expected. Some, such as David Pollack, we never could have anticipated his career-ending injury. Others, like Cedric Benson, have been flops on and off the field.

Inexact science? You bet. Just look at who I called would-be busts from last year — among them, Joe Thomas, Amobi Okoye, Marshawn Lynch, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross and Dwayne Bowe. Some of my booms weren’t too much better, though there’s lots of time for things to change.But I am at it again, casting sweeping judgments on players who have yet to take an NFL snap. Hey, it’s fun, and you guys seem to like to razz me when I am wrong. I probably got more responses last year for my “50-50” column than I did for any two others combined that I have written at PFW. Some liked it, but many did not. I can take it.

On with the list — and with one fewer first-rounder this year, I chose 16 booms and 15 busts, revealing my soft side:

~ ~ ~ 6. OLB Vernon Gholston — Jets

Prediction: Bust

Yeah, I finally found my first real bust. There are few better athletes than Gholston — in this class, or in the NFL for that matter — who possess his size and raw ability. But I have serious reservations about the hot-and-cold nature of his play in college (especially the cold against lesser competition) and whether he can be a cerebral, instinctive linebacker. He came off as being very intelligent in talking to him before the draft, but I don’t think he’ll ever put it together as a complete player with the sixth pick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30. TE Dustin Keller — Jets

Prediction: Boom

Keller might be the Jets’ answer to the Colts’ Dallas Clark. Though Keller isn’t a refined blocker yet, he is a truck once he has the ball in his hands and has a chance to be a fan favorite right away. I think he’ll be a 40- to 60-catch guy who gets in the endzone regularly.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...holm070808.htm

owner Wayne Weaver is in talks to sell the team to billionaire C. Dean Metropoulos, according to a report in the Philadelphia Daily News.

Metropoulos, 61, is the former chairman and CEO of Pinnacle Foods, which he sold last year for more than $2 billion. He previously had tried to buy the Oakland Raiders and Miami Dolphins, according to the report.

Metropoulos denied the report, though the Daily News said several sources confirmed that the negotiations were taking place. Metropoulos reportedly is interested in a 100 percent purchase of the franchise immediately, though he would bring in minority partners and keep Weaver on while he learned to run a franchise.

The report speculated that a sale could lead to the franchise leaving Jacksonville, where the Jaguars have failed to sell out games, including three last season. The franchise has been mentioned as a candidate for a move to Los Angeles.

The Jaguars had no comment on the report, according to the Florida Times-Union, and a spokesman said Weaver was traveling Wednesday and wouldn't be available until Thursday.

Weaver has consistently denied any interest in selling in the team, though he acknowledged last year that he was looking for additional investors, according to the Times-Union. He is in his 70s and it is reported his family has no interest in running the team.

Weaver has owned the franchise since it joined the NFL in 1995 as an expansion team.

Talk of moving the team to Los Angeles could be fanciful. Los Angeles is the nation's No. 2 TV market, but has been without a team since the mid-1990s when the Raiders returned to Oakland and the Rams moved to St. Louis. Expansion or franchise transfer rumors frequently begin -- and end -- with Los Angeles as an epicenter.

There has been talk of financier Ed Roski planning a football stadium in L.A. Roski was a developer of Staples Center and earlier this year told the NFL he could build a stadium for cheaper than either of the facilities being built for the New York Jets or Dallas Cowboys.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=432847

Archived