Jets News 7/28

Sperm Edwards

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2293-sunday-player-interviews

Transcripts of selected player interviews after Sunday's afternoon training camp practice:

WR LAVERANUES COLES

On how it feels to be healthy…

It’s great to be back with my teammates and know that I’m not having to miss anything, I can actually be out there practicing with them. That’s the most important thing. It’s a big part of camp, making sure you know you’re there for the long haul. To get back in the mix and be there with them is the most important thing. I think they see it and they appreciate the fact that I’m back out there with them.

On Eric Mangini’s comments that the wide receivers were excelling in training camp…

I think guys are stepping up. That’s the main thing. I think I’m critiquing myself just as well as I’m critiquing everyone else. We’re taking pride in the room because again, I did miss part of last year. I think I could’ve been more vocal and I could’ve been more helpful with bringing the young guys along. But I wasn’t in there for the workouts and it was such a strain for me to have to be out of them. Of course, I do want to be there.

But now when something happens, the guy behind me can come in and pick up the slack just like I’m in there, so we don’t miss a beat. I think that’s something that Jerricho [Cotchery] and I are looking at. We’re trying to push guys to pick up the offense, become better receivers and help them hone in on what they’re good at and become great players.

On whether he’s getting together with the rookies outside of practice…

Of course, we spend a lot of time on the chalkboard. Our position coach, Noel Mazzone, allows us to critique each other which is great. If I’m up there on the board he’ll be like, "OK, tell Laveranues what you think he did wrong on this." It’s good to get other guys up to try to understand each other, but we all have different body types and we all understand that the game is different from other people’s perspectives. Even the younger guys’ knowledge of the game is helping each one of us.

On whether he missed playing in the last three games last year…

I not only just missed the game itself, I missed the guys and being there for them. That’s the most important thing. The friendships that you make while you’re playing are some of the most important things that you could ever look back on. At times, I would pick up the phone to call these guys and check with them to see how they’re doing. Not being with them at practice and during the week and then during the game, it was tough, probably one of the most difficult times you can go through especially when you care about guys like I do.

QB KELLEN CLEMENS

On whether the external distractions have made camp more interesting…

Camp is always interesting. No matter what is going on, it’s always interesting and always exciting. We’re all getting better and are really looking forward to getting this thing started.

On whether consistency has been a main focus…

There are a lot of things. For me personally, I come out here each day with two or three things that I want to work on. Fortunately, so far I’ve been able to really achieve those and move forward. Camp is progressing in a pretty good direction so far.

On how he and Chad Pennington are handling the Brett Favre rumors…

I’m fortunate to have Chad, a guy who has been a quarterback in New York, going into his ninth year. I can visit with him for things like that. He’s great. He’s great to talk to about it. We chatted about it briefly and both came to the conclusion that that’s so far away from the building right now that it’s not even anything that we need to be worried about for the moment.

On whether he checks the locker room to see if Favre has been added…

Just to see if Joe Smith has a different number [laughs]? No, not just yet.

On whether the rumors have become a distraction…

I don’t think it’s distracting us one bit. If something happens, then obviously that’s what Coach Mangini and Mr. Tannenbaum think is best for the team and we’re going to support that. We’re worried about the guys we have in-house right now, those are the guys we’re planning on taking to battle in September.

On turnovers during practice…

Interceptions, fumbles, it doesn’t matter. Ball security is the number one factor in winning and losing games in this league. Turnovers are just something you have to work on and try to eliminate.

On whether turnovers during practice are magnified due to the QB competition…

An interception or a fumble, a turnover is a turnover. In the grand scheme of things, you try to put everything in context and take everything that happens in practice and try to put it in the context of the game. Any sort of an interception or a turnover, a missed third-down conversion, any of that. It hurts whether you’re in practice or in a game. I try not to let the competition affect the way that I approach it. We all want to win and be efficient this year. You don’t let that extra element add to it.

On the difficulty of competing for the starting position…

I’ve been playing this position for quite awhile. It’s the same. If you throw an interception in the game, eventually you learn to just say, “Hey, I’m going to learn from it, so I don’t do it again,” and then move on.

It’s good practice out here because everything is being evaluated. You learn to say, “Hey that was a mistake that I made,” you’re going to learn from it. Like the interception to [Eric] Barton, I went over there to visit with him: “What did you do? Why did you do it?” That way you can learn from it and not make it again. It’s also important to be able to move onto the next play with a clear head, not thinking about the previous play.

On if he thinks interceptions during training camp are overly criticized since it is an experimental situation…

There are different situations. You might have a Hail Mary situation where you’re going to throw it up in practice but you’re going to do that in a game as well. There are many different circumstances that all factor into the evaluation process. Either way, an interception is an interception, and you don’t want it unless your defense is out on the field.

On his progress…

As I said a little bit earlier, I come out to practice every day with two or three things that I want to improve on and so far I’ve been making progress. For me, that’s very important. We’re moving the ball. We obviously have some stuff that we need to work on both as an offense and as a team. Things are moving in a good direction.

On if there’s more pressure in this competition than two years ago…

The main difference, I think, is now there are only two of us. When there were four, it was a wide open competition. Now there are only two of us that are involved. I think that’s the main difference at this juncture.

On why the competition feels different…

It feels a lot different because this is my third year in the league. I was fortunate to start a few games last year. I have some confidence, I have some experience under my belt, and that all factors into it. From the coaches and the external stuff, there are only two of us instead of four.

QB CHAD PENNINGTON

On if anyone in the organization has spoken to him since his last conversation with GM Mike Tannenbaum…

No, nothing. It’s been business as usual for me. Practice is going great. I feel really good about my progress and how everything is coming along. I am just trying to build, become better and things are going well. I haven’t heard one thing from the organization. Things are going business as usual.

On if he relishes the opportunity to silence doubters…

It’s something I have had to deal with my whole life. With adversity, people doubting me, asking questions about my abilities, that has been something since high school. I have grown accustomed to that and have learned through experience how to handle it. I learned how to remain positive and focus on myself as an individual and continue to get better.

Sometimes you take the criticism and you look at it and see if it is real and if it really is something you need to work on. Sometimes you just throw it out. You concentrate on the meat and spit out the bones and move on.

On whether he wishes the Brett Favre rumors would be resolved…

The good thing is I am so involved with training camp right now. I haven’t been able to watch television, read or listen to the radio. I am totally oblivious to everything going on. The bottom line is that sooner or later the organization has to make a decision one way or the other. I hope it’s sooner than later. I think for our team to be able to move on and accomplish the things we need to accomplish, the things that coach Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum want to get accomplished, we have to make a decision and the sooner the better.

On if the rumors start to become a distraction…

It certainly can if you let it. I think our guys have done an excellent job of focusing on themselves first and then on our team. We have enough veterans to keep it from that, but that is why as long as we can keep moving forward, and put this behind us as soon as possible, it helps everyone.

On whether being a veteran has helped to minimize the surprise of rumors…

I am not surprised. I would be surprised if it was my second or third year. But this being my ninth year, I am not surprised by anything. I think speculation is part of this game. It’s what gives fans something to talk about over coffee in the morning. It’s good for the game from a fan’s perspective. It gives them something to talk about. From a player’s perspective, you just can’t worry about it. You move on and focus on what you need to do to get better.

On if he is hoping the cloud of speculation gets lifted soon…

I really don’t look at it as a cloud. I look at it as part of the business of the NFL. It really has nothing to do with football, with what happens in between the white lines. From day one I said, “I am here to play ball, I am excited about playing football. I am excited about being a starter of this football team and that is my goal and my job.”

On how it affects his competition with Kellen Clemens…

We have talked about it. I think it’s important that we talk about it. That way we each know how to handle it. I try to share some of my experiences with him and give him some insight from a veteran’s perspective. At the same time, he’s done an excellent job too, just focusing on what he needs to do to better himself.

On whether he feels he is the best choice to be the starter…

When I step in between the white lines, I’m the starter. Period, bottom line. I’m going to lead this team and lead us to victory. That’s my goal, that’s what I always focus on, and that’s what I’ve been able to do in the past.

RB LEON WASHINGTON

On what he feels like he needs to improve…

I need to improve in the film room and getting smarter. When you get older, your skills kind of diminish so you have to get the other part of the game that mentally challenges yourself to get better on the football field. You see teams like New England and the Colts, their older guys are really smart and they just take over the game that way. [i need to work on] getting better in the film room and improving in the weight room.

On if it excites him that the Jets want to run the ball more…

It’s exciting when I see Thomas Jones or Musa [smith] or Jesse [Chatman] or when I get the ball. It’s always exciting when they give it to the running backs. I know for a fact that the coaches are putting us in a position to go out there and make plays. We trust what they’ll do. What we have to do right now in training camp is work really hard in whatever we’re doing and focus on that. When it comes around to the regular season game, I’m sure we’ll be prepared.

On if he has any tricks up his sleeve when it comes to being an elusive runner…

I have a few left in me. We’ll see. I’m working really hard. One thing I do know as a young guy, when you prepare the right way and when you practice the right way, when you get to a game, it becomes a lot easier.

On continuing to provide big plays for the Jets…

Big plays can change the momentum of the game. If you get a long run here or a kickoff return there, it can definitely change the momentum. Once we change the momentum, we have to maintain that. That is something we have to work on all year long, finish four quarters, not turn the ball over, be patient and work within ourselves.

Leon Feels Stronger, 'Pretty Special About Myself'

Published: 07-27-08

By Eric Allen

Senior Managing Editor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2291-leon-feels-stronger-pretty-special-about-myself-

Leon Washington is the ultimate team player, so it wasn’t a surprise Sunday when he credited Jets strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi for a productive offseason.

“By believing in him, believing in his workout program and staying consistent and staying focused, it’s really given me an opportunity so far in training camp to feel stronger and feel pretty special about myself,” Washington said.

Earlier in the afternoon, head coach Eric Mangini praised the Jets most recent MVP for his preparation in the Alosi-led training program.

“He had an excellent offseason. He was actually our overall offseason award winner this year and you can see the work he did in the offseason translate on the field in all the different areas — his kickoff returns, his punt returns, his play at running back, his explosiveness at the picking up the blitz," Mangini said of Washington. "All that stuff has gotten better.”

Alosi told Washington if the legs are strong, they’ll carry the rest of the body. Washington, listed as 5’8”, 202 in the media guide, took the message to heart and went to work on the foundation. The results were positive across the board.

“I went up in squat, I went up in bench,” Washington said. “I pretty much went up in everything and that’s really good on my part but it’s good on Sal’s part. He identified something I could improve on just by talking to me and saying I could do this. I think my bench went up 20 pounds and my squat went up 20 pounds.”

Known for his speed, “Little Leon” put up some impressive numbers in the weight room. When asked what he maxed out on the bench and with his squat, the modest Washington spoke proudly of his accomplishments.

“I’ll tell you. I squatted 525 and I benched 355,” he said. “For a guy to be 195, that’s pretty good.”

Good might be a word for it but excellent might be more fitting. Washington says he’s watched other successful vets, including Jerricho Cotchery and Kerry Rhodes, and attempted to mirror their approach.

“They’re athletically talented. You know they’ll go out there and play football really well, but if you can go out there and work hard and prepare yourself, it kind of sets yourself apart from other guys,” he said. “It sets yourself apart from the rest of the league so to speak.”

Washington, a fourth round selection (No. 117 overall) in the 2006 NFL Draft, was the only player in the Bobby Bowden era to score five different ways at Florida State (run, reception, punt return, kickoff return and fumble return). As a rookie, he led the Jets in rushing with 650 yards. Then last season, he set a single-season record with three kickoff returns for touchdowns.

Having proved to be a dynamic threat with the ball, Washington’s increased strength will help him even when the ball isn’t in his hands.

“I added more muscle mass and got a little bit stronger, so I can take on some pass blocking a little bit more,” he said. “All those things really helped me out a lot especially very early in camp, especially with quickness and speed.”

At every Jets practice, Washington makes at least a couple of dazzling plays. You sometimes take for granted what you’re watching because he makes the extraordinary appear rather ordinary.

There’s a lot of sweat behind Washington’s run to prominence. Even when he wasn’t with Alosi and back home in Orlando, FL, he was running the steps of his Andrew Jackson High School. Washington feels good in July, but he’s got December and beyond in the back of his mind.

“My goal is to maintain that strength, work with Sal, talk to him a lot and take care of my body,” he said. “If I can do that, hopefully at the end of the season when it counts most and you want to get to the playoffs, I can be strong enough.”

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2292-coach-s-sunday-news-conference

Transcript of head coach Eric Mangini's news conference with Jets reporters before Sunday's afternoon training camp practice:

We'll be outside unless the lightning keeps up and then we'll be inside if that's going to be an issue.

In terms of practice, the morning practice yesterday was the review of the first cycle of installation and the afternoon transitioned to the start of the second cycle, and we'll keep following this progression today.

You can see as the volume of information increases, guys swim a little bit and that's why it's so important to study at home and to get on top of the information. Once you do get back to your dorm or if you have any questions, make sure that you get those things answered because when you combine the extra installation or the normal process of installation with the new information, heat, fatigue and those type of things, it becomes much more important to focus and take advantage of all the opportunities that you have to just be able to go out and play.

That's what you're always looking for: That they know the information well enough and that they are playing and not thinking and not being tentative.

In the early part of camp, one of the groups I've been really happy with is the wide receivers. Laveranues Coles was in with the early group and we spent a lot of time talking about press-man technique and what were some things that you can take advantage of in press-man technique. We talked a lot about hand placement and where the defensive back's hand is going to be and how you can use his hand and arm against him and he's really worked at that, but he's also worked at it with the rest of the group.

Jerricho Cotchery and those guys have really utilized it in the team drills and it's the same thing with hand placement in the running game. I saw some runs yesterday where they broke through the line and the secondary element, the corner or the safety, was covered up and controlled by the receiver and that's all about hand placement. It's those guys conscientiously working on it and getting better at it and where the runs went instead of 5 or 6 yards, then they go for 10 or 12.

I don't know how exciting that is but it's exciting to me to see that progress, and it's such an important part of the running game. And it comes into play so much in releases at the line of scrimmage, guys like Brad [smith], the bigger receivers, more so than even the smaller receivers, because they tend to be larger targets.

On how Vernon Gholston is progressing…

We talk about swimming. He's swimming because he started later than the rest of the group and now he's got all that information flowing in. The younger guys that were here had a chance to digest that in smaller chunks and he doesn't have that chance. He's got to eat the whole plate right away.

On Leon Washington…

Leon had an excellent off-season. He was actually our overall off*season award winner this year and you can see that. You can see the work that he did in the off*season translate on to the field, in all the different areas, kickoff return, his punt return, his play at running back, his explosiveness in picking up the blitz. All that stuff has gotten better.

On the strides Washington has made since his first camp in 2006…

I'm sure we both think back to that first training camp [smiles]. That's a good lesson because you want to make those quick reactions on who a guy is, and you want to know, "OK, is this the guy we drafted?" Sometimes it just takes more time and each guy progresses a little differently.

I think Jason Pociask is having a really good camp and there's a guy that's diligently worked at it, moving into his third training camp, with first one being abbreviated by the injury. I see progress there. I see progress with Brick [D’Brickashaw Ferguson]. I see his strength increasing and his technique improving.

With all those young guys, it's very satisfying as a coach to see progress with the younger players through the course of experience and you like to think a little bit of it's coaching. But that's one of the rewarding parts of this job.

On if he was happy with Washington’s role last year…

We had less overall plays last year. The way the games went, at the time you're trying to put together what you think is a good mix, and I can say that he's having a good camp. I'm sure we're going to continue to try to get him as involved as possible. In terms of absolute numbers, I don't have a specific target like you've got to get 200 carries.

Some of that, too, is how much he's doing on special teams. He has a lot of different roles. Some of it's package-based where he goes a game or two without packages and isn't as big, those numbers could get a little skewed or he could go two or three games where he’s featured.

On if he thinks Washington’s quickness has improved …

I think it's a combination of him having a really good off-season. Physically, he improved and matured, so that was positive and part of the quicker is, he understands things better. It's not as much processing the information as just playing. That's the point I was trying to get at with Vernon [Gholston] and all these guys. You want them to know it cold so they are not out there thinking, [but] reacting. They’re able to use their gifts.

On how they determine off-season programs…

We do it with every player on the team. We go through and identify things as a staff. We have players identify things. We meet with each individual player. We establish the core things collectively that they are going to work on. Then a plan is put in place so the off-season can be used as effectively as possible to make sure those things are worked on and they get better at them.

On how the new players are adjusting to their new team…

They really haven’t missed a beat. It's a good locker room, seems like they all get along really well. I haven't been hanging out with them, but from my interaction, it looks like they have gotten along real well.

On Damien Woody practicing today…

Well, we will see here. I think we've got a shot today and we've just got to kind of see how it goes.

On Woody’s injury…

His eye.

On if he has anything to report on Brett Favre…

I really don't. I'm sure they are working out up there. I'm sure they are working through that and we are working through the rain.

On if QB Brett Ratliff has improved from last year…

Brett was Leon-esque squared in his first camp. He struggled. He came in, great guy, great worker. But getting out the play, it was like an act of Congress to get that done in the huddle. You saw the physical attributes. He's got size, a strong arm, and he's a smart guy.

That quarterback room sets a pretty high bar for work ethic, and he's right there with them. He's impressive in terms of just continually absorbing the chunks of information and getting better. The guy that's here now versus the guy that was here a year ago, it's night and day.

On if it’s routine to have Ratliff taking reps with the first team…

It's a couple of different things. Some of it could be throwing him a bone. It’s like calling a guy up to draw the play in front of the team and see how they respond. It serves multiple purposes.

On how Ratliff is responding…

Pretty good. Some of those that weren't “bones” that weren't as good as the other ones, but I would say again, it's so extreme in the other direction in terms of his progress, that I really wouldn't have thought about doing that very much last year.

On if he is bothered by an interception from Kellen Clemens…

I get bothered by mistakes from everybody. I'm like an equal-opportunity-bothered guy. You never want to see mistakes. You spend a long time working on making sure there aren't mistakes. But there's been many mistakes. You saw yesterday the defense wasn't lined up, we had a play called offensively, we snapped the ball, he threw it out there and gets a quick completion. That's a great awareness play.

There's going to be some of both. There's been some mistakes, obviously some more apparent than others. The one mistake you can't have is you can't turn the ball over. Running backs can't fumble. Receivers can't fumble. Quarterbacks need to make good decisions. It’s the risk/reward we talk about. That makes me even more annoyed.

On if mistakes are more magnified at QB as opposed to from a second-team LB…

I don't think any of the players want to make mistakes. With that second-team linebacker, there's some that could be viewed as being even greater because that's a question of how many mistakes do you make before you go home. Everybody is under pressure to perform at a high level to establish that they should be on the team.

On QBs' mistakes being more magnified …

It's the position they play. They shouldn't make mistakes at the position they play and they are not trying to and we're not trying to have them do that. Yesterday we had a breakdown in communication in the secondary. One of those two-minute drives where the corner squatted, David Clowney ran the 9-route and the ball was out of bounds at the 3. When you give up six, those are costly mistakes, too.

On Danny Woodhead getting injured…

Danny is a great kid, he worked like crazy, and to have an injury like that so early in camp, it's disappointing. You never want to see anybody get injured and when you see a guy like that who has worked so hard to put himself in a position to compete and make the team, it's disappointing. But he'll rehab the injury and he'll get another shot.

On his level of involvement in criticizing players such as Clemens…

He's working with Brian [schottenheimer] and Brian [Daboll], so he's got two layers of getting on him before I even get to him. Sometimes when you're in a hole, you've got to stop digging. I’m going to see what the level of talking-to he got to prior to me getting to him.

On if there is a point in training camp where mistakes start to count…

There's not a mathematical formula with that and it's training camp. All of the quarterbacks have done good things and they have all made some mistakes. What I'm looking at is a body of work and not day one, day two, day three but over the course of training camp and the preseason games: "What's the overall balance sheet? What does it look like? Who gives us the best chance to win?" As opposed to going day by day and saying, "Chad Pennington is up 4-2" or "Kellen is up 5." It's not really like that.

On Kerry Rhodes...

I think that Kerry is emerging and can continue to emerge and get better, because he's got a lot of natural ability. He's a very smart player. He's got excellent ball skills. I have not seen him act but I think he's got a better chance in the short term emerging as a safety as opposed to emerging as leading man. I'm not "hating on him," as he would say.

Randy's Radar

Practice Interrupted by Lightning

By Eric Allen

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/585-practice-interrupted-by-lightning

07/27 — At 2:25 p.m. today, the lightning horn sounded at Weeb Ewbank Hall. The lightning detection system, installed last summer, signaled a withdrawal for everyone — the players, the coaches, the reporters and the 1,300 spectators — outside.

While Eric Mangini immediately led the Jets into the bubble, the reporters didn’t arrive until twenty minutes later. Following an escape from the downpour, I chatted with Jared Winley, a terrific PR staffer, good friend, and valuable contributor for this organization for close to a decade. He had been in New Jersey earlier this morning and had taken some video of the new Fieldhouse nearing completion at the Atlantic Health Jets’ Training Center.

Let’s just say it’s going to be a monster and why is this important you ask? Because the Jets’ current bubble, although cozy for a pee-wee team, is just 60 yards long. When special teams coordinator Kevin O’Dea worked on kickoffs today, both Mike Nugent and Joe Smith had to basically take check swings at the ball. If either player took a full boot, we might have had some Arena League action with the returners forced to take the ball off the rebound.

Towards the end of the practice, both Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston showcased their pass rushing ability.

Pace racked up sacks on successive plays as the defense lined up in a dime, taking advantage of a good first step against T Wayne Hunter on the latter. Pace's first came after a well-designed stunt with DE Shaun Ellis, giving the former Cardinal a clear path to the backfield. While you can’t hit the quarterbacks (their red jerseys signify the stop sign), Mangini whistled the reps dead before Kellen Clemens could get the ball away.

Later Gholston, using his speed off the right edge, beat OL Jacob Bender and got to Chad Pennington. Bender was charged with a false start penalty before the very next snap and his replacement — rookie T Nate Garner — had trouble with Gholston as well. Mangini didn’t signal a sack on a pressure but it appeared like Gholston arrived at Pennington in time for another would-be takedown.

Both Pennington and Clemens had their moments indoors. After S Kerry Rhodes made a fine break-up of a pass intended for Laveranues Coles, Clemens went back to Coles and hit him for about a 20-yard gain. He also threw a good touch pass to TE Bubba Franks for a substantial gain and zipped a toss into rookie Dustin Keller.

The turnover bug struck KC again when he forced a ball to Coles up the sideline. Veteran corner David Barrett had good position and came up with the ball. When the team was outside, S Eric Smith intercepted a Brett Ratliff overthrow intended for Franks.

“Ball security is the number one factor in winning and losing games in this league,” KC said before exiting the bubble. “Turnovers are just something you have to work on and try to eliminate.”

Pennington seems to have established a pretty good rhythm with Chansi Stuckey. They connected — in 7-on-7 and Team — a number of times Sunday. The nine-year vet has been consistent through the Jets’ first six practices, playing turnover-free football. He is well aware of the Favre hype on the outside but his mindset hasn’t changed.

“Speculation is part of this game. It gives fans something to talk about over coffee in the morning,” he said. “It’s good for the game from a fan’s perspective — it gives them something to talk about. From a player’s perspective, you just can’t worry about it, you move on, and you focus on what you need to do to get better.”

NYJ.com is Sirius: Randy is making a Sirius NFL Radio appearance tomorrow morning on their Morning Drive show. He'll be on with Bobby Papa and Randy Cross after the 9 a.m. update. Our editor-in-chief will provide a preview of the '08 Jets, one of 32 previews they're doing for that show.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/07/26/2008-07-26_with_brett_favre_trade_unlikely_chad_pen.html

With Brett Favre trade unlikely, Chad Pennington's armed for the job

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 12:47 PM

Chad Pennington is looking like Jets' No. 1 quarterback - so long as a certain No. 4 doesn't land in Hempstead. Weissman for News

Chad Pennington is looking like Jets' No. 1 quarterback - so long as a certain No. 4 doesn't land in Hempstead.

Three days into training camp, the Jets' quarterback competition has evolved into a three-way battle:

Chad Pennington vs. Kellen Clemens vs. the specter of Brett Favre.

Pennington is beating Clemens soundly, but everything could change with one phone call - a call that hasn't happened, and may never happen.

The Jets haven't removed themselves from the Favre sweepstakes, the Daily News has learned, but several sources yesterday described the team's chances of acquiring him as unlikely.

As of last night, the Jets, with permission from the Packers to speak with Favre, still hadn't contacted the future Hall of Famer. A person close to Favre, quoted by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, said a trade to the Jets was "doubtful."

The Buccaneers also remain linked to Favre, but they're playing it coy. They also received permission from the Packers to speak with him, but they have yet to do so, according to a Bucs source.

The Favre soap opera, which has gripped Green Bay, Tampa and New York, has reached a lull. The next move apparently belongs to Favre, who reportedly told the Packers he's planning to report to training camp. But, as of yesterday, the retired quarterback still had not applied for reinstatement with the NFL.

Meanwhile, Favre's presence was felt everywhere at Jets camp, which entered Day 2 of Brett Watch. Pennington, realizing he can't compete with an invisible legend, acknowledged his days in New York would be over if the Jets somehow pulled off the trade.

"Yeah, absolutely, that's definitely a possibility," Pennington told The News after the morning practice at Hofstra. "Shoot, ever since last year" - when he was benched - "it's always been in limbo. I've kind of grown accustomed to it over the past year."

Clemens received a heavy dose of the Favre factor. When he sailed a pass out of bounds, a fan yelled, "We want Favre." Clemens fumbled a snap near the goal line and was forced to take a penalty lap around the field, but he lucked out. As he ran past the packed bleachers, there was loud music blaring from the sideline speakers, sparing him a dose of verbal abuse.

"You have to protect the football," Eric Mangini said later to reporters, chiding Clemens. "The snap is the most basic play in football."

Adhering to the organization's tight-lipped approach, Mangini refused again to comment on the Favre reports. He seemed almost annoyed when the topic was raised in his daily news conference.

Pennington insisted he isn't bothered by the speculation, although he admitted harboring fleeting thoughts of requesting a trade.

"I'd be lying if I said those emotions never come up. They do," he said, quickly adding that he "absolutely" wants to remain a Jet.

"To me, the best scenario would be for me to finish my career as a Jet," he said. "In this league, with so much change, to say you played for one team, it's quite an accomplishment."

After a slow start, Pennington has looked sharp in recent practices, seemingly showing more velocity than in the past. He'll never have a big arm, but he tweaked his mechanics in the offseason, and maybe he is starting to see the dividends. He ended the morning practice with a 68-yard touchdown pass to Brad Smith.

Pennington is so determined to improve his mechanics that he holds clandestine throwing sessions at night. On Thursday, around 8:30, he repaired to a practice field and fired 40 passes to a couple of staffers. He threw until it was dark.

Ever the perfectionist, Pennington said he is still "not as consistent as I want to be." But he remains a fan favorite.

As he signed autographs after practice, he was drawn into a conversation about Favre. Pennington, in a playful mood, reminded the fans that he kicked Favre's butt the last time he faced the Packers - a 38-10 victory at Lambeau Field in 2006. His audience laughed.

"And it was 31-0 at halftime," Pennington said, smiling at the memory.

www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0728,0,5223524.story

Newsday.com

Not the start Clemens wanted at Jets camp

BY ERIK BOLAND

erik.boland@newsday.com

11:18 PM EDT, July 27, 2008

In a quarterback competition in which just about every movement is scrutinized, mistakes -- as Chad Pennington said in an interview Saturday -- are more painful than when a starter already has been determined.

"It stings just a little bit more because everything's being evaluated, you're being compared, and it just stings," Pennington said. "The biggest challenge is to be able to let that go and move on and try to make a good play the next opportunity you get."

Pennington, though not spectacular four days into training camp, has been predictably steady and has avoided any glaring mistakes.

The same cannot be said for Kellen Clemens.

Clemens, the third-year quarterback many thought was a slight favorite heading into this battle, threw his fourth interception of training camp yesterday and clearly has slid behind Pennington. The derby is far from over, but Clemens has some ground to make up.

"An interception or a fumble, it doesn't matter; a turnover is a turnover," said Clemens, who also has lost a fumble during camp. "Any sort of interception or turnover, a missed third-down conversion, any of that, it hurts whether you're in practice or in a game. I try not to let the competition affect the way that I approach it."

Clemens has been through a competition for the job of Jets quarterback before. Two years ago, when he was a rookie, Clemens went against Pennington -- who would win the job easily and lead the team to the playoffs -- Brooks Bollinger and Patrick Ramsey. The expectations were modest then, but not so much now. Clemens, however, shrugged off the idea of feeling more pressure.

"The main difference, I think, is now there are only two of us," Clemens said. "When there were four, it was a wide-open competition. Now there are only two of us that are involved. I think that's the main difference at this juncture."

Pressed about feeling even a little more pressure in this competition compared with two summers ago, Clemens, always amiable, didn't budge much.

"It feels a lot different because this is my third year in the league," Clemens said. "I was fortunate to start a few games last year. I have some confidence, I have some experience under my belt, and that all factors into it. From the coaches and the external stuff, there are only two of us instead of four."

Coach Eric Mangini refrained from criticizing Clemens before yesterday's practice, though he has dropped hints that there have been a few sit-downs with him.

"Sometimes when you're in a hole, you've got to stop digging," Mangini said.

Clemens did that for most of yesterday's practice, throwing several nice balls, including a pair of 20-plus-yarders over the middle to tight end Bubba Franks and rookie tight end Dustin Keller.

The interception, his fourth in six practices, came toward the end of the day, courtesy of cornerback David Barrett. Clemens said his only choice is to learn from such errors and referenced his first pass of training camp, an interception by linebacker Eric Barton.

"You learn to say, 'Hey, that was a mistake that I made,' and you're going to learn from it," Clemens said. "Like the interception to Barton, I went over there to visit with him and say, 'What did you do? Why did you do it?' That way, you can learn from it and not make it again."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=439064

Jets' Mangini praises a Brett, just not that one

July 27, 2008

Associated Press

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- Eric Mangini had no problem talking about Brett at Jets camp.

"He's got size, he's got a strong arm, he's a smart guy," New York's coach gushed Sunday. "Brett, that quarterback room sets a pretty high bar for work ethic, and he's right there with them."

Hold on. No, not THAT Brett.

The high praise was for Brett Ratliff, New York's second-year quarterback who has had an impressive training camp so far after struggling through his first summer with the team.

"He came in, great guy, great worker, but I mean, getting out the play," Mangini said with a smile, "it was like an act of Congress to get that done in the huddle."

Since the Jets emerged as possible trading partners with Green Bay for Brett Favre, a smattering of chants and signs declaring "We Want Brett!" have popped up among the fans at camp. Ratliff, a former star at the University of Utah who spent last season on the Jets' practice squad, can't help but chuckle.

"It's a good name, you know. So, if they want to keep chanting it, I don't mind it," he said, grinning. "Brett Favre's a great player and that's all I'm going to say about that."

That's about all anyone associated with the Jets will say about Favre these days. Mangini deftly sidestepped talking about that Brett when he was asked if he had any reaction to Favre not reporting to Packers camp Sunday.

"No, I really don't," he said. "I'm sure they're working it out up there. They're working through that and we're working through the rain."

The Jets, of course, are focused for now on the four quarterbacks they have in camp: Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens, rookie Erik Ainge and Ratliff. Rumors and speculation continue to swirl regarding the Jets' possible interest in Favre and how the three-time MVP would be a perfect fit for a team whose biggest question mark is at the quarterback spot.

"The bottom line is this: Sooner or later, the organization has to make a decision one way or the other," Pennington said. "And I hope it's sooner than later. For our team to be able to move on and accomplish the things we want to get accomplished, the things Coach Mangini and (general manager) Mike (Tannenbaum) want to get accomplished, we've got to make a decision. The sooner the better."

Pennington has appeared to have the edge over Clemens early on in the competition for the Jets' starting job. The veteran, entering his ninth season, has looked good if unspectacular running the offense.

"It's been business as usual for me," Pennington said. "Practice has been going great and I feel really good about my progress and how everything's coming along and trying to build and become better."

While Pennington has kept his mistakes to a minimum, Clemens has done the opposite. The third-year quarterback, who won the job from Pennington midway through last season, has thrown four interceptions in four days.

"If you throw an interception in a game, eventually you learn to say, 'Hey, I'm going to learn from it so I don't do it again and move on,"' Clemens said. "It's good practice out here because everybody's being evaluated."

Clemens didn't change his tune when he was asked if maybe too much is made of turnovers early in camp.

"An interception is an interception and you don't want it, unless your defense is on the field," he said.

Despite the missteps, Clemens isn't ready to start checking the locker room for any Favre updates.

"Just to see if Joe Smith has a different number?" he said with a laugh, referring to the Jets punter who wears No. 4. "No, not just yet."

Mangini said each of the quarterbacks have made their share of mistakes and he isn't necessarily keeping a running log of who wins the competition each day.

"What I'm looking at is a body of work, not Day 1, Day 2, Day 3," he said. "Over the course of training camp and the preseason games, "OK, what's the overall balance sheet? What does it look like and who gives us the best chance to win?"'

If the Jets pass on Favre, the competition between Pennington and Clemens is likely to go deep into the summer.

"I think speculation is part of this game," Pennington said. "It's what gives fans something to talk about over coffee in the morning. It's good for the game from a fan's perspective. From a player's perspective, you just can't worry about it. You move on and focus on what you need to do to get better."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/07/ny_jets_pennington_a_step_ahea.html

NY Jets' Pennington a step ahead of Clemens

Posted by wjsulliv July 27, 2008 22:12PM

medium_JETSQBS28

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerJets quarterback Chad Pennington, left, and Kellen Clemens at Jets training camp Saturday in Hempstead, N.Y.

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- This was supposed to be a 12-round classic. In one corner, you had the young gunslinger. In the other, the proven veteran. The hype had been nonstop for months. The coach promised a fair fight. Kellen Clemens vs. Chad Pennington was to be a battle royal. Football fans love nothing more than a good training camp quarterback controversy and Jets Nation has been no exception. So far, though, it's been a mismatch. Pennington is pitching a shutout through the first four days (six practices) and with Brett Favre all but out of the picture, it's looking more and more like the ninth-year pro will be the man behind center for the Jets on opening day in Miami.

Pennington has hardly been overwhelming, but Clemens has been a disappointment. Despite starting eight games last season (posting a 3-5 record), Clemens still appears a bit uncomfortable in the pocket and has thrown an interception during 11-on-11 drills in each of the first four days of camp at Hofstra. Pennington hasn't thrown one yet.

The organization recognizes it's still early in the competition -- and Clemens' career -- but it can't be too encouraged right now. Unlike two training camps ago, when Pennington blew away then-rookie Clemens and veterans Patrick Ramsey and Brooks Bollinger, this matchup was expected to be different.

Instead, it's a re-run of the same movie, minus Ramsey and Bollinger.

"The one mistake you can't have is you can't turn the ball over," said coach Eric Mangini yesterday. "Quarterbacks need to make good decisions in those risk/reward (situations) we talk about."

Neither Mangini nor the coaching staff has berated Clemens during practices, but he has been getting an earful at meetings.

"He's working with (offensive coordinator) Brian (Schottenheimer) and (quarterback coach) Brian (Daboll), so he's got two layers of (coaches) getting on him before I even get to him. Sometimes when you're in a hole, you've got to stop digging," said Mangini.

Clemens, a third-year pro with a big arm, insists he's not pressing and he's on schedule. He says the Favre Watch hasn't been a distraction to him or Pennington. He has had his moments, like a 50-plus yard bullet down the sidelines to wide receiver David Clowney on Friday, but highlights like that have been rare.

"I come out to practice every day with two or three things I want to improve on and so far I've been making progress," said Clemens. "To me, that's very important. We've been moving the ball and having some good things (happen). We obviously have some things we need to work on both as an offense and a team."

Pennington, whose arm strength and durability continue to haunt him, continues to put forth a persistent effort. He's heard all the criticism in the past but has three playoff appearances on his resume and is a proven winner. He's 32-29 as a starter, which includes a disastrous 1-7 record last season.

"It's something I've had to deal with my whole life -- adversity, people doubting me, asking questions about my ability," said Pennington. "That's been something since high school. I've grown accustomed to that and have learned how to handle it and remain positive."

The buzz about a possible Favre sighting at Hofstra is also something Pennington is handling. Though it's highly unlikely, he and Clemens have discussed it and are helping each other through it.

Both just want it to end, one way or another.

"Sooner or later, the organization has to make a decision and I hope it's sooner than later," said Pennington, who hasn't spoken to GM Mike Tannenbaum since Friday. "I think for our team to be able to move on and accomplish the things we want to get accomplished and the things coach Mangini and Mike want to accomplish, we have to make a decision.

"As soon as we can put this behind us and move forward, it helps everyone."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/28/sports/football/28jets.html?ref=football

July 28, 2008

Jets’ New Video System: A Home Page for Football

By GREG BISHOP

After the Nebraska football program installed a new video system last season, one coach said it saved his marriage.

That was beyond what David Graff, one of its developers, expected. The program, called Huddle, was conceived a couple of years ago by three Nebraska students whose obsessions were technology and Cornhuskers football.

The result is part video library, part picture montage, part video game, part instant messenger, part calendar, part playbook — essentially an online community, like Facebook for football.

Nebraska, under Coach Bill Callahan, used Huddle for the 2007 season to rave reviews. The Cornhuskers finished 5-7, and Callahan was fired. But he took Huddle to his interview with the Jets, and he was hired as assistant head coach.

The system has been praised by the likes of Microsoft’s Bill Gates and Coach Eric Mangini, whose Jets are the first N.F.L. team to use it. Graff said he hoped Huddle would eventually change the way teams store, access, edit and use video.

“There is a world of possibility,” he said during a recent visit to The New York Times.

Jeff Raikes, the president of Microsoft, who will become the chief executive of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in September, agreed. Like Graff, he grew up in Nebraska. Like Graff, Raikes obsesses over Cornhuskers football. He even installed a satellite dish to watch the coach’s show, and he still subscribes to Huskers Illustrated.

“Football in Nebraska is about state identity,” Raikes said. “Other places, they have other things. In Nebraska, it’s Cornhuskers football.”

Like Graff, Raikes knows something about technology. He started at Microsoft at 23; during his 27 years there, he helped create Microsoft Office and tablet PC technology.

Raikes has long been a supporter of Nebraska’s computer science and management program, which now bears his name. Students in that honors program are required to do nine-month projects.

Raikes wondered, Why not create a project for Nebraska football? So he approached three students who shared his interest in computer science and the Cornhuskers: Graff, Brian Kaiser and John Wirtz.

The project became Huddle, and Graff, Kaiser and Wirtz founded Agile Sports Technologies with the help of investors, including Raikes. Ever the Nebraska fan, Raikes had only a few conditions about teams the company would not approach, “like Notre Dame or U.S.C.”

Graff had previously worked in the Nebraska sports information office, so he was acquainted with Callahan. Graff, Kaiser and Wirtz sat down with the coaches and asked one question: What is the ideal system?

Then they worked on reducing the time it took to reproduce video onto DVDs for home study, protecting the notes that previously would have been lost during replication and developing one system to run everything.

Graff said he roomed with Cornhuskers quarterback Zac Taylor, the 2006 Big 12 offensive player of the year, who helped the tech people with the football side of the system. When Callahan saw a prototype in 2006, “he fell in love right away,” Graff said.

Taylor said of Graff: “When he showed me the basic program they’d come up with, I was stunned. I was shocked at how much they can do with it.”

Huddle uses the same technology that powers the Xbox 360 video-game console, and the same controller. Raikes said Gates had been “blown away by the sophistication of the application.”

Huddle’s main screen looks like a member’s home page on Facebook or MySpace. But instead of listing hobbies and interests, it features scouting reports, news feeds and lists of top performers, along with photographs (which draw players into the system), messaging and a calendar that can be accessed by trainers, doctors and nutritionists.

Coaches can leave notes or voice messages, even draw on the screen; players can access that data from anywhere with an Internet connection. The full playbook is available, in color, eliminating the need for paper versions. Coaches can test players’ knowledge of assignments instantly by having them draw on the screen.

Coaches can keep track of the players’ usage of Huddle, and can also send text messages to players when new video is in the system. They can send individual plays or instructions to all running backs or all offensive players or everyone on the team. They can run meetings with one computer.

The main questions potential clients seem to have involve security; coaches cite the spying controversy involving the New England Patriots as heightening their concerns. Graff said that Huddle was tested by experts from Harvard and Microsoft, who pronounced it safe. He added that a player would be denied access to the system as soon as he was cut.

The Jets liked Huddle so much that they signed an exclusivity contract to be the only American Football Conference East team to use it this season. In May, Graff said, the Jets watched about 20,000 video clips and spent more than 600 hours logged into the system.

“It’s an interesting concept,” Mangini said Saturday. “It’s the ability to watch tape over the Internet. It’s still a secure line. As a coach, you’re always looking to be more efficient, and sometimes if you’re not at the office and you haven’t told the video guys, ‘Hey, I need X, Y and Z,’ then you have the ability to access that stuff through this system.

“It’s not at the same speed as our normal operating system would be, but it does give you a vehicle to study when you aren’t necessarily in the building.”

Graff said that Jets quarterbacks Kellen Clemens and Chad Pennington had told him that they loved Huddle because they could watch more film at home, allowing for more time with their families. Rookies like linebacker Vernon Gholston and tight end Dustin Keller were able to log in while still in college so they could start learning the Jets’ playbook.

Heading into this season, Graff said he hoped to have a few more teams on board. Eventually, the company wants to branch into all sports, at all levels. It may add an interactive Madden-style video game component.

Raikes went one step further.

“Think about the base technologies created,” he said. “Those could be used in how surgeons train for surgery. It could be used to get sports fans more engaged. There really is a lot of possibility.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/07/standout_ny_jets_running_back.html

Standout NY Jets running back Leon Washington staying hungry

Posted by wjsulliv July 27, 2008 22:15PM

large_Leon28

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerJets running back Leon Washington, left, and quarterback Kellen Clemens take a breather Friday at Jets training camp in Hempstead, N.Y.

NOTEBOOK

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- By all accounts, Leon Washington had a breakout year last season. He set a club single-season record with three kickoff returns for touchdowns, scored a team-high six touchdowns and was voted team MVP.

But there he was this offseason, running the 13 steep concrete steps at Andrew Jackson High, his alma mater in Jacksonville, Fla. He pulled tires and ran sprints. It was just like the old days when he was a scrawny teenager growing up.

Washington, a third-year pro, is still hungry. He spent the offseason getting stronger and working on his lower body, winning the team's offseason condition award. He even dared to go barbell to barbell with a noted weight room warrior, running back Thomas Jones.

"I know I'm gifted enough to go out there and play football, but in this game that's not good enough," said Washington, who also had 353 yards and three touchdowns rushing with 36 receptions on 71 attempts for 213 yards.

"You watch guys like (NFL great) Jerry Rice on film, running up those hills, running up mountains even though this guy is the best wide receiver in the league. I watch (teammate) Jerricho Cotchery.

"I knew coming into the season, if I worked hard in the offseason to prepare my body the right way it would (help) me to at least have a little bit of an edge on my opponents. That was my focus."

Washington, at 5-foot-8, 202 pounds, looks quicker, more explosive and faster. He says he didn't lose weight, he just added muscle mass. He says he wants to improve his pass blocking and be stronger at the end of the season.

"You can see the work that he did in the offseason translate onto the field in all the different areas," said coach Eric Mangini.

The trick for the Jets this season is how to best use Washington. He averaged just 4.4 carries per game last season and seemed underutilized on offense. He returned kickoffs last season in place of injured Pro Bowler Justin Miller, who will be back this season. Then there's the punt returns (9.2-yard average on 20 returns).

"I'm sure we're going to continue to try to get him as involved as possible," said Mangini.

Rookie LB Vernon Gholston, who missed most of the offseason and the first day of training camp, is still trying to find his way but made short work of the Jets' second team. On consecutive plays, he blew by LT Jacob Bender for a sack, forced Bender into a false start and beat rookie Nate Garner for a sack.

"He's swimming," said Mangini of Gholston. "He's got all that information flowing in."

First-year QB Brett Ratliff, who struggled in camp last season, continues to impress and could beat out rookie Erik Ainge for the third spot.

Mangini joked that to communicate a play from the sidelines to Ratliff took "an act of Congress." He described Ratliff's progress as "night and day" from last season to this season.

RT Damien Woody, who sat out Saturday's evening workout with an eye injury, did limited work yesterday. ... Mangini said he's extremely pleased with his receiving corps. ... Lightning midway through practice yesterday forced the Jets to their bubble. ... Both of the Jets' practices are closed to the public today.

blog_header_cimini.gif

July 27, 2008

Mangini answers daily Favre question

After spending the first few minutes of today’s presser talking about the wide receivers, Vernon Gholston, Leon Washington and Damien Woody, Eric Mangini received his daily Brett Favre question. And he saw it coming from a mile away.

Reporter: I’ll go ahead and ask it.

Mangini: Do you really have to? It’s Sunday, it’s a nice day, relaxing. Think about how much fun we’re having.

Reporter: You can give me a non-answer.

Mangini: Okay, I’m good at that. I’ll help you out there.

The reporter, Jane McManus from the Journal News, proceeded to ask about the latest Favre development, as reported by SI.com. Favre and the Packers reportedly reached a compromise: He won’t report to camp while they try to resolve his situation over the next few days. Presumably, that means a trade. Asked if he had a response, Mangini said:

“No, I really don’t. I’m sure they’re working it out up there, and we’re here working through the rain. Is that a non-answer enough?”

That produced a couple of laughs in the press room. Here’s a suggestion: If he were a little more forthcoming, it might relieve some of the discomfort from having to face the questions.

Here’s the latest with Favre: The Jets are still in the game, but they’re sitting at the end of the bench, a long way from the action. From what I hear, Favre isn’t interested in the Jets. If that’s the case, they have no shot. End of story.

Aside from Favre, Mangini touched on a few other topics in his presser:

• He praised RB Leon Washington, TE Jason Pociask and LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson. In fact, Washington, having a terrific camp, won the team’s off-season conditioning award, Mangini said. I asked him if he envisioned a bigger role for Washington, and he hedged. Last season, Leon averaged only 4.4 carries per game and 2.3 receptions, not nearly enough for a dynamic player like him. Mangini said they will try to “get him as involved as possible.”

• RT Damien Woody missed yesterday’s practice with some sort of eye injury. He could return for this afternoon’s workout.

• Mangini had a funny line in response to another “Brett” question - about third-string QB Brett Ratliff. Mangini described Ratliff’s rookie camp last year as a disaster, saying it took “an act of congress” for him to call the right play in the huddle. The team stuck with Ratliff, a former free agent, and he’s starting to show some promise. It’s “night and day,” Mangini said.

• The coach didn’t sound all that thrilled with Kellen Clemens, who has been struggling with turnovers. Mangini did point out, however, a “great awareness play” from yesterday’s practice. Noticing the defense was having trouble lining up, Clemens called for a quick snap and fired a pass out to a wide receiver. It’s Clemens’ turn to work with the first unit this afternoon, so we’ll see how that goes.

• Mangini praised S Kerry Rhodes, although he couldn’t resist a tweak about Rhodes’ off-the-field aspiration. Said Mangini: “I haven’t seen him act, but I think he’s got a better shot at emerging as a safety than emerging as a leading man.” A pretty funny line by Mangini, who has come a long way from the uptight coach we got to know two years ago. Of course, when it comes to acting, Mangini’s cameo as a diner on “The Sopranos” hardly qualifies him as a thespian. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Rhodes reminds him of that.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/27/favre-questions-linger-in-new-york-tampa.aspx

Favre questions linger in New York, Tampa

By Rick Klauer

Sunday, Jul 27 2008, 07:38 PM

The Brett Favre issue could not be ignored today in Jets camp.

Head coach Eric Mangini, however, sounds like he would be happier filming a Southwest Airlines commercial (want to get away?) than deal with more Favre questions.

Here’s a brief back and forth between Mangini and a reporter, according to a blog at the New York Daily News:

After spending the first few minutes of today’s presser talking about the wide receivers, Vernon Gholston, Leon Washington and Damien Woody, Eric Mangini received his daily Brett Favre question. And he saw it coming from a mile away. . .

Reporter: I’ll go ahead and ask it.

Mangini: Do you really have to? It’s Sunday, it’s a nice day, relaxing. Think about how much fun we’re having.

Reporter: You can give me a non-answer.

Mangini: Okay, I’m good at that. I’ll help you out there.

The reporter, Jane McManus from the Journal News, proceeded to ask about the latest Favre development, as reported by SI.com. Favre and the Packers reportedly reached a compromise: He won’t report to camp while they try to resolve his situation over the next few days. Presumably, that means a trade. Asked if he had a response, Mangini said:

“No, I really don’t. I’m sure they’re working it out up there, and we’re here working through the rain. Is that a non-answer enough?”

That produced a couple of laughs in the press room.

Seriously though, it doesn't look like Favre and the Jets will be tying the knot. In summation, the Daily News says:

“Here’s the latest with Favre: The Jets are still in the game, but they’re sitting at the end of the bench, a long way from the action. From what I hear, Favre isn’t interested in the Jets. If that’s the case, they have no shot. End of story.”

Favremania in Florida

Meanwhile, hundreds of miles to the south, The Tampa Tribune has released ‘A Guide to Favremania’ to help Buccaneers fans prepare for a possible Brett Favre trade.

The guide essentially lists everything fans need to know about the ongoing drama: 1. Favre doesn’t want to play in Green Bay; 2. Favre won’t be released; 3. Tampa Bay is interested; etc….

Reporter Martin Fennelly tries to answer questions about Favre coming to Tampa, including: How hard would it be for Favre to learn the Bucs' system?

Says Fennelly: “Let's get one thing straight: Favre is a Hall of Fame quarterback and - get this - he can learn. This talk about the complicated Gruden offense has gotten out of hand, as if Professor Stephen Hawking would put down his quantum gravity books at Cambridge, take one look at Gruden's system and burst into tears. I can't figure it out, I just can't. Brett Favre plays football, and if Y ain't open, he'll throw to Z, and he won't need a gyroscope to do it."

TBO.com also took a trip to Disney World to gauge interest from Mickey Mouse fans about acquiring the retired QB. Click here to view the video.

Christl's take

Cliff Christl has offered his two cents on the Favre subject in a special report at NFL.com.

Christl questions why the Packers need worry about Favre with any other team if they are so confident in starting Aaron Rodgers. He says Ted Thompson needs to make a "bold" move in this matter.

Says Christl: "If Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy truly believe the Packers are a better team with Rodgers at quarterback, they should have the courage of their convictions. If they have as much confidence in Rodgers and their team as they say they do, they shouldn't fear facing Favre in another uniform.

"The Packers could have defused this controversy and made this a much less messy divorce if they had given Favre his release soon after he asked for it. Had they exercised the kind of PR savvy that marked the (Bob) Harlan administration, they would have released Favre and simply announced that they were doing so only to honor his request."

And, around the Web

Pete Prisco at CBSSports.com: "Once again, Favre is trying to be bigger than the game. If his name were Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens, he'd be getting fried like a cheese curd. As it is, Favre is getting a pass."

Don Banks at SI.com: "....Which leads into my second observation about Favre's messy situation: He got here because he seems incapable of thinking anything out longer than 15 minutes into the future. As one NFL defensive coordinator told me this week: 'He's not a guy who's ever been very reflective. He just reacts to what's in front of him. That's exactly the way he played quarterback, and that's how he's handling this. He makes it all up as he goes. Watching this story unfold is like watching him play. It's that same free-wheeling nature that he played with. He just thinks he'll figure it out on the fly, like always.'"

blog_header_cimini.gif

July 27, 2008

Lightning forces Jets inside

With lightning flashing in the distance, Eric Mangini made a very smart decision and halted the afternoon practice, moving the festivities to the indoor bubble. Tough luck for the fans, who only got to see about 55 minutes of practice, but safety is the No. 1 priority. Anyway, you can read all about the practice right here.

Let’s see …

We’ll start with the quarterbacks. Kellen Clemens, working with the starters, actually was having one of his better sessions until the final team drill when … you guessed it, another interception. He attempted a 15-yard ‘out’ to Laveranues Coles, and it wasn’t particularly well throw, a bit wobbly. CB David Barrett stepped in front of Coles and picked it off. It was Clemens’ fourth interception in six practices, ruining an otherwise solid day.

Prior to the pick, Clemens made a nice 25-yard throw to TE Bubba Franks, and he followed that with a well-timed completion to rookie TE Dustin Keller on a crossing route. Good stuff.

Both quarterbacks were victimized by leaky offensive-line play in the final 11-on-11 drill. Or, taking the half-full approach, you can call it fantastic play by the defense. Clemens was “sacked” on two straight plays and, on the next play, he threw an incompletion under pressure. Then came the Barrett pick.

Pennington, too, was under seige, as rookie pass rusher Vernon Gholston made a mockery of the second-team line. Gholston beat LT Jacob Bender around the edge, applying backside pressure. On the next play, Bender was so freaked out that he flinched before the snap, resulting in a false-start penalty. Hello, penalty lap. Next up: Rookie LT Nate Garner. Same result; he, too, couldn’t handle Gholston’s speed rush. He definitely has a quick first step out of a three-point stance. Clearly, it was Gholston’s most impressive sequence in camp. But, as Bill Parcells used to say, “Let’s not put him in Canton just yet.” Let’s see him beat D’Brickashaw Ferguson a couple of times, and then we’ll talk.

After practice, we talked to Pennington about the Brett Favre speculation (gee, what a surprise). Stepping out of character, Pennington seemed a bit annoyed that the Favre matter still is swirling.

“The bottom line is this: Sooner or later, this organization has to make a decision, one way or the other, and I hope it’s sooner than later,” he said.

This beat writer seconds that notion.

A few other practice notes:

• RT Damien Woody (eye) was back on the field, but he was limited and didn’t participate in team drills. He was replaced by Wayne Hunter.

• TE A.J. Schable couldn’t catch a cold. He dropped two easy throws in a passing drills. Keller also had a drop.

• Still no Chris Baker.

• The other Brett - Brett Ratliff - threw his first interception. He overthrew Coles and was picked off by S Eric Smith.

• RB Jesse Chatman flashed some shifty moves, bouncing a run to the outside. But he’s no Leon Washington, who said after practice that he ran the steps in his old high-school stadium in Jacksonville to get in better shape during the offseason. But he said there were only 13 rows in the stadium, so that translates to a lot of ups and downs.

• There are two practices tomorrow, but both sessions are closed to the public. I suppose they’ll be working on some top-secret stuff.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/07/jets_clemens_is_struggling.html

Jets' Clemens is struggling

Jets third-year quarterback Kellen Clemens isn't exactly seizing the moment early in his duel with veteran Chad Pennington.

The organization feels it's still early -- in training camp and Clemens' career -- but it can't be too encouraged right now. Clemens has thrown one bad interception during 11-on-11 drills in each of the first four days camp, including today. Pennington has thrown none.

``The one mistake you can't have is you can't turn the ball over,'' said Jets coach Eric Mangini. ``Quarterbacks need to make good decisions in those risk/reward (situations) we talk about.''

The coaching staff hasn't berated Clemens during practice but he's getting an earful in meetings.

``He's working with (offensive coordinator) Brian (Schottenheimer) and (quarterbacks coach) Brian (Daboll), so he's got two layers of (coaches) getting on him before I even get to him. Sometimes when you're in a hole, you've got to stop digging.''

With the Jets all but out of the Brett Favre discussion, Pennington is looking more and more like the starter.

As we've said here before, watch out for first-year QB Brett Ratliff (6-foot-4, 235 pounds) out of Utah. He has a gun for an arm and has outplayed fifth-round pick Erik Ainge thus far.

Notes from today in camp:

First-round pick, LB Vernon Gholston, continues to try to find his way but he feasted on the Jets' second-team line. In one three-play sequence, he beat LT Jacob Bender for a sack, forced Bender in the false start and then got by LT Nate Garner for another sack. ...

Rookie TE Dustin Keller made a nice grab on a seam route from Ratliff. ... RT Damien Woody (eye) returned to practice on a limited bases. ... Darrell Revis continues to return kicks and the Jets might actually use him there. He returned kicks in camp last summer but was never used in a game.

Lightning midway through practice today forced the Jets into their bubble. ... Both practice tomorrow are closed to the public.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/27/broncos-camp-report-webster-enjoys-battle-for-no/

Nursing along

The Broncos gave defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson the morning off Sunday, continuing a pattern of affording the veteran plenty of time off throughout offseason workouts to make sure he's ready for the opener.

Robertson had left wrist surgery Jan. 6 and has a degenerative condition in his left knee.

"You do need to get in football shape. These practices (off) are hurting me but helping me, physically. It's going both ways," he said. "But I'll be ready."

In New York, with the Jets, Robertson "practiced every practice, every play, all that kind of stuff," which he said he could do here.

But he also appreciates the team keeping him fresh.

"It'll add years to your career and, hopefully, allows you to play longer than if you were playing for a team that grinds you out all the time," he added.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/afceast072708.htm

Whispers — AFC East

It appears as if the Chris Baker fiasco in New York may be approaching an amicable resolution. Baker, who has accused the organization of lying to him regarding renegotiating his contract, reported to camp and was encouraged by the fact that his agent and Jets management were at least talking. When asked if he wanted to be traded if a deal couldn’t be worked out, Baker responded, “Regardless, I want to be here.”

JETS RB READY TO BLAST OFF

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 4:34 am

July 28, 2008

Leon WashingtonLeon Washington is never going to get taller, so he spent the off-season getting stronger and, as hard as this is to believe, faster.

The JetsNew York Jets running back has looked more explosive during the first few days of training camp than he has in his first two years. Washington spent the off-season running the stadium stairs at his old high school in Jacksonville, Fla., and in the weight room.

For his hard work, he won the Jets' off-season award, and now he hopes it leads to more success on the field.

"I feel faster, but the most important thing is I feel stronger," Washington said. "The last couple years you get down to week 13, 14, 15 and 16 you're trying to just get through it because your body is tired. Right now, I know it's early, but I feel strong. My goal is to maintain that strength."

Washington was voted the team's MVP last season after becoming a special teams threat with three kickoff returns for touchdowns. His role in the offense decreased with the arrival of Thomas JonesThomas Jones .

Coach Eric Mangini was non-committal about whether his role with the offense would increase this year, but he's clearly impressed with the third-year back.

"Physically, he improved and matured, so that was positive," Mangini said. "He understands things better. It's not as much processing information as just playing."

Rookie OLB Vernon Gholston is "swimming" right now learning the defense, Mangini said. Starting tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson handled the rookie when they were matched up, but Gholston got the better of back-up tackle Jacob Bender, causing Bender to jump off-sides at one point. . . . OT Damien Woody injured his eye, forcing him to miss the second practice Saturday. He was back on the practice field yesterday, but did not do team drills. . . . Both of today's practices are closed to the public.

SHARE BOX

JUST FOR STARTERS

GANG GREEN SEARCHING FOR BEST QB OPTION

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 4:34 am

July 28, 2008

Yesterday at Hofstra was Day 4 of the JetsNew York Jets quarterback competition and Day 3 of the Brett Favre watch. There was not much progress on either front.

Neither Chad PenningtonChad Pennington nor Kellen ClemensKellen Clemens has stood out yet, and the Jets remained quiet on whether they are working on a deal with the Packers.

Pennington has been better than Clemens so far, but camp is only a few days old and this competition figures to last the entire summer.

Clemens continues to turn the ball over in practice, fumbling a snap and throwing an interception again yesterday. Jets coach Eric Mangini did not single Clemens out, but talked about how turnovers drive him crazy.

"Some mistakes are obviously more apparent than others," Mangini said. "The one mistake you can't have is you can't turn the ball over. You just can't turn the ball over.

"Quarterbacks need to make good decisions in those . . . the risk/reward we talk about. That makes me even more annoyed."

Clemens started eight games for the Jets last season. He threw 10 interceptions against five touchdowns. Yesterday in the practice bubble, Clemens was whistled down twice in the pocket by Mangini for holding on to the ball too long, then David Barrett picked off his sideline throw. It was Clemens' fourth pick of training camp. Pennington has not thrown one yet.

The 25-year-old said the fact that he's in a fight for the starting job does not make the mistakes magnified.

"A turnover is a turnover," Clemens said. "You try to put everything in context. You take everything that happens in practice and try to put it in the context of a game. Any sort of interception or turnover, a missed third-down conversion, it hurts whether you're in practice or a game. I try not to let the competition affect the way that I approach it. We all want to win and be efficient this year. You don't let that extra element add to it."

As for Favre, Mangini joked when someone asked him at his press conference about the NFL's most popular retiree.

"Do you really have to?" Mangini said. "It's Sunday. It's a nice day. We're relaxing. Think about how much fun we're having."

Then he gave the non-answer everyone expected about his reaction to Favre failing to report to Packers camp.

"I really don't," Mangini said. "I'm sure they're working it out up there and they're working through that and we're working through the rain. Non-answer enough?"

Pennington said he has not heard from management since Friday about Favre when general manager Mike Tannenbaum briefed him on the situation.

"The bottom line is sooner or later the organization has to make a decision one way or the other," Pennington said. "I hope it's sooner than later. For our team to be able to move on and accomplish the things we want to get accomplished, the things that Coach Mangini and Mike want to get accomplished, we've got to make a decision and the sooner the better."

The veteran QB said it's business as usual for him.

"When I step in between the white lines I'm the starter, period, bottom line," he said. "I'm going to lead this team and lead us to victory. That's my goal. That's what I always focus on."

brian.costello@nypost.com

Clemens struggling early in Jets' camp

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

July 28, 2008

In a quarterback competition in which just about every movement is scrutinized, mistakes - as Chad Pennington said in an interview Saturday - are more painful than when a starter already has been determined.

"It stings just a little bit more because everything's being evaluated, you're being compared, and it just stings," Pennington said. "The biggest challenge is to be able to let that go and move on and try to make a good play the next opportunity you get."

Pennington, though not spectacular four days into training camp, has been predictably steady and has avoided any glaring mistakes.

The same cannot be said for Kellen Clemens.

Clemens, the third-year quarterback many thought was a slight favorite heading into this battle, threw his fourth interception of training camp yesterday and clearly has slid behind Pennington. The derby is far from over, but Clemens has some ground to make up.

"An interception or a fumble, it doesn't matter; a turnover is a turnover," said Clemens, who also has lost a fumble during camp. "Any sort of interception or turnover, a missed third-down conversion, any of that, it hurts whether you're in practice or in a game. I try not to let the competition affect the way that I approach it."

Clemens has been through a competition for the job of Jets quarterback before. Two years ago, when he was a rookie, Clemens went against Pennington - who would win the job easily and lead the team to the playoffs - Brooks Bollinger and Patrick Ramsey. The expectations were modest then, but not so much now. Clemens, however, shrugged off the idea of feeling more pressure.

"The main difference, I think, is now there are only two of us," Clemens said. "When there were four, it was a wide-open competition. Now there are only two of us that are involved. I think that's the main difference at this juncture."

Pressed about feeling even a little more pressure in this competition compared with two summers ago, Clemens, always amiable, didn't budge much.

"It feels a lot different because this is my third year in the league," Clemens said. "I was fortunate to start a few games last year. I have some confidence, I have some experience under my belt, and that all factors into it. From the coaches and the external stuff, there are only two of us instead of four."

Coach Eric Mangini refrained from criticizing Clemens before yesterday's practice, though he has dropped hints that there have been a few sit-downs with him.

"Sometimes when you're in a hole, you've got to stop digging," Mangini said.

Clemens did that for most of yesterday's practice, throwing several nice balls, including a pair of 20-plus-yarders over the middle to tight end Bubba Franks and rookie tight end Dustin Keller.

The interception, his fourth in six practices, came toward the end of the day, courtesy of cornerback David Barrett. Clemens said his only choice is to learn from such errors and referenced his first pass of training camp, an interception by linebacker Eric Barton.

"You learn to say, 'Hey, that was a mistake that I made,' and you're going to learn from it," Clemens said. "Like the interception to Barton, I went over there to visit with him and say, 'What did you do? Why did you do it?' That way, you can learn from it and not make it again."

Jets' Pennington wants Favre questions answered

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

July 28, 2008

Chad Pennington would like the Brett Favre-to-the-Jets speculation to be resolved.

Quickly.

"The bottom line is that sooner or later, the organization has to make a decision one way or the other," Pennington said after yesterday afternoon's practice. "I hope it's sooner than later. I think for our team to be able to move on and accomplish the things we need to accomplish, the things that coach Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum want to get accomplished, we have to make a decision, and the sooner the better."

But all Favre talk is in a holding pattern for at least the next few days. According to ESPN, Favre has signed his reinstatement papers but has agreed not to send them to the NFL yet, giving Packers general manager Ted Thompson a chance to resolve the issue. Packers coach Mike McCarthy declared Aaron Rodgers the team's starter Saturday and the Packers have made it clear to Favre he is not welcome.

The Jets and Buccaneers were reported to have asked for permission to speak to Favre, though Pennington on Friday disclosed that Jets general manager Tannenbaum told him it was the Packers who contacted the Jets.

Favre would have liked to try to win his job back after being reinstated. With that option off the table, he is open to a trade, but, according to ESPN, he told Thompson, "Not just to the teams you want me to go to."

And it still is unclear if the Jets' interest has ever been more than cursory. That the Packers contacted the Jets and not vice versa would seem significant.

As for the two quarterbacks on the Jets' roster competing for the starter's job, neither one sees Favre as a diversion.

"I don't think it's distracting us one bit," Kellen Clemens said yesterday. "If something happens, then obviously that's what coach Mangini and Mr. Tannenbaum think is best for the team, and we're going to support that."

Jet streams

OL Damien Woody, who sat out Saturday's afternoon practice with an eye injury, was back on the field yesterday but was limited. Wayne Hunter replaced him in team drills ... The Jets practiced outside for 58 minutes before thunder and lightning forced them inside the practice bubble ... Mangini, known for his grueling two-plus-hour practices in his first two training camps, has said his goal this camp is to have more efficient practices that last "under two hours." So far, so good. Only one practice out of six has lasted more than two hours - and that one was 2 hours, 2 minutes.

Brett Favre feels pressure from Packers about his recent situation

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 10:11 PM

Ferrey/Getty

Brett Favre didn't go to training camp Sunday at the request of Packers' GM Ted Thompson.

GREEN BAY - Brett Favre did not report to Packers camp Sunday, but he has signed his letter for reinstatement and wants to compete for the Packers' job or play elsewhere.

Favre told friends that he agreed not to report to camp for possibly a few days after general manager Ted Thompson pleaded with him to stay away while the quarterback and the team try to bring an end to the soap opera that has gripped the NFL.

Favre told SI.com that he has enlisted the aid of commissioner Roger Goodell to broker a resolution or amicable divorce. The QB told ESPN that he would welcome a trade but not necessarily to a team the Packers would like to see him go to. The Jets and Bucs were reported last week to be the top two teams in the running.

The Packers were not available to the media Sunday.

"I asked Ted, 'Am I welcome in the building if I report?' and Ted was just about shattered," Favre told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. "He said, 'Brett, you can't do that - you'll get me fired.' I told him I'm not trying to get anybody fired. So Ted asked me to let the guys report and let's try to resolve this over the next two or three days."

That apparently is the only thing keeping Favre from filing his reinstatement letter to the league to come off the reserve/retired list. Favre said his wife, Deanna, and agent James (Bus) Cook want him to report to Packers' camp.

"Deanna, Bus, everyone here (in Mississippi) says, 'You're so stupid, letting (the Packers) play you like this," Favre told ESPN. "They want me to get in there now. I may wait until Tuesday or so."

Favre asked Thompson for a chance to compete with Aaron Rodgers and earn his starting job back. But the Packers have made it clear that they are ready to move forward with Rodgers, who has seen significant action in just two games in four seasons.

Outside Lambeau Field Sunday, dozens of fans mostly wearing Favre jerseys carried "Bring Back Brett Favre" signs as cars passing by honked in approval.

"He has asked for his job back and anybody with half of a brain would say, 'Yeah, come back!'" said Adam Rolfson, who created "BringBackBrettFavre.com" with his brother Erick and handed a petition with close to 7,000 signatures to the Packers Sunday. "If they trade him and the Packers don't do well, it will be just short of riots here. Just the thought of him in another uniform makes me sick."

Favre admitted he has spoken to Vikings coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, the Packers' QB coach from 2003-05, which led to the league talking to the quarterback about possible tampering charges.

If Favre can't regain his starting job, he wants the Packers to release him, but Green Bay is hesitant to allow him to join a division rival such as Minnesota or Chicago. The Tampa Tribune reported that the Bucs and Packers were believed to be close to a deal on Saturday before talks broke down.

"(The Packers) play this both ways," Favre told ESPN. "Privately, they don't want me there. Publicly, if I sent in the (reinstatement) letter but didn't show up right away, they could always fine me or say, 'See, why isn't he here? He really doesn't want to play.' Give me my release and see if I want to play or not."

HEMPSTEAD - Eric Mangini had no problem talking about Brett at Jets camp.

"He's got size, he's got a strong arm, he's a smart guy," the Jets' coach gushed yesterday. "Brett, that quarterback room sets a pretty high bar for work ethic, and he's right there with them."

Hold on. No, not THAT Brett.

The high praise was for Brett Ratliff, the Jets' second-year quarterback who has had an impressive training camp so far after struggling through his first summer with the team.

"He came in, great guy, great worker, but I mean, getting out the play," Mangini said with a smile, "it was like an act of Congress to get that done in the huddle."

Since the Jets emerged as possible trading partners with Green Bay for Brett Favre, a smattering of chants and signs declaring "We Want Brett!" have popped up among the fans at camp. Ratliff, a former star at the University of Utah who spent last season on the Jets' practice squad, can't help but chuckle.

"It's a good name, you know. So, if they want to keep chanting it, I don't mind it," he said, grinning. "Brett Favre's a great player and that's all I'm going to say about that."

That's about all anyone associated with the Jets will say about Favre these days. Mangini deftly sidestepped talking about that Brett when he was asked if he had any reaction to Favre not reporting to Packers camp.

"No, I really don't," he said. "I'm sure they're working it out up there. They're working through that and we're working through the rain."

The Jets, of course, are focused for now on the four quarterbacks they have in camp: Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens, rookie Erik Ainge and Ratliff. Rumors and speculation continue to swirl regarding the Jets' possible interest in Favre and how the three-time MVP would be a perfect fit for a team whose biggest question mark is at the quarterback spot.

"The bottom line is this: Sooner or later, the organization has to make a decision one way or the other," Pennington said. "And I hope it's sooner than later."

Pennington appeared to have the edge over Clemens early on in the competition for the Jets' starting job. The veteran, entering his ninth season, has looked good if unspectacular running the offense.

"It's been business as usual for me," Pennington said. "Practice has been going great and I feel really good about my progress and how everything's coming along and trying to build and become better."

July 27, 2008

Weathering the storm

Lightning in the area halted the Jets' outdoor practice after almost one hour today, and forced the team to go into its practice bubble, which was warm, but dry.

The heat was turned up even further when rookie pass-rusher Vernon Gholston went against the Jets' second-string O-line. First, he beat second-year LT Jacob Bender for what would've been a sack if Chad Pennington [working with the second-teamers] hadn't been wearing a red jersey. Bender then false-started on the next play, earning a penalty lap.

Enter rookie Nate Garner, the seventh-round pick from Arkansas, who replaced Bender. He also was beaten by Gholston for a 'sack.' [Wonder if Chad was having flashbacks to last season by this point?]

As for the QB battle, Kellen Clemens had one of his better days of this still-early camp, although it was tarnished when he underthrew Laveranues Coles and was intercepted by David Barrett. That makes four picks and one lost fumble [on a center exchange] in six practices for the third-year QB, but who's counting?

While the Jets still were in the great outdoors earlier in the session, Brett Ratliff, who has looked sharp in his second camp, threw his first pick, to S Eric Smith. Figures, considering this blogger had asked Eric Mangini about Ratliff's progress during the press briefing. Mangini had a very funny line, noting that Ratliff had a tough time last summer making the mental adjustment to pro ball, and that it took an 'act of Congress' for him to get the play from the sidelines and impart it to his teammates in the huddle.

As for injuries, RT Damien Woody [eye] was very limited in practice one day after sitting out the evening session, while TE Chris Baker [back] remains the on PUP. Maybe he'll return to action this week. If he doesn't, this story could take yet another turn.

Oh, and nothing new on the Favre front, although it appears he has [or is about to] formally apply to commissioner Roger Goodell for reinstatement. Pennington had an interesting quote when asked about Favre, saying 'sooner or later the [Jets'] organization has to make a decision one way or the other [about trading for No. 4]. And I hope it's sooner [rather] than later.'

Amen, Chad. Amen to that.

Pennington Has Early Lead

Posted by Bob Bullock July 27, 2008 5:39PM

Categories: Camp News

As the Favre to Jets story has faded, all reports out of camp have Chad Pennington taking the early lead in the quarterback race.

Kellen Clemens has been struggling so far, throwing quite a few picks, which certainly isn't good news. As I've written in previous posts, if Pennington wins the job this team is in trouble. We all know what he can do. He can throw short passes, manage a game well, but certainly doesn't strike fear in ANY defense. He also threw some HUGE interceptions last season.

I don't like pounding Pennington; he really has served this organization well. However, I still feel the team would be much better off having Clemens take over and lead them into the future. If he can't grab hold of the starting job, this team takes a step back.

It is still early, so Clemens has time to turn it around and take the starting job. So we'll just have to see what he can do over the next few weeks.

The next few days may just bring us a new "old" quarterback too. You never know.

On Kerry Rhodes...

I think that Kerry is emerging and can continue to emerge and get better, because he's got a lot of natural ability. He's a very smart player. He's got excellent ball skills. I have not seen him act but I think he's got a better chance in the short term emerging as a safety as opposed to emerging as leading man. I'm not "hating on him," as he would say.

:rl:

BTW, anyone else joining the brett ratliff fan club? Just me? fine.

On Kerry Rhodes...

I'm the VP Matt and also a charter member of the ABCP Cub (anybody BUT Chad Pennington) member since 2007

Soultion to QB mess for 07 (not the starters)

Ratliff at 3rd string, IR Ainge...perfect.

Archived