They need to change a certain rule in this game

MagicBizkit87

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_scorer_10.jsp

10.17 Winning And Losing Pitcher

(a) The official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless:

(2) Rule 10.17© applies.

© The official scorer shall not credit as the winning pitcher a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when at least one succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain its lead. In such a case, the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the succeeding relief pitcher who was most effective, in the judgment of the official scorer.

Rule 10.17© Comment: The official scorer generally should, but is not required to, consider the appearance of a relief pitcher to be ineffective and brief if such relief pitcher pitches less than one inning and allows two or more earned runs to score (even if such runs are charged to a previous pitcher). Rule 10.17(B) Comment provides guidance on choosing the winning pitcher from among several succeeding relief pitchers.

So, the official scorer didnt have to give it to him, but did since he pitched 1 inning. The only pitcher who could have got credit for the win would have been Veras.

The number of wins means nothing for a reliever. And, I'd argue, for a starter too. But, whatever.

I know, it just bothers me that this guy got the win when he allowed a grand slam to give up the lead, then the Yankees score in the bottom half of the inning, and he gets the win. A rule change needs to be considered.

Archived