Jet fans Depressed with FA so far?

StillerPaul

Have a look at REAL cap issues and a team that can do very little about adding players, folks.

Steelers find wiggle room under cap

By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Thursday, March 3, 2005

Free agency has been much more about the restructuring of contracts and the reclaiming of space under the NFL's $85.5 million salary cap than it has recruiting for the Steelers.

Day 1 of the free agency period, which began at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, came and went without any official visits by free agents to the team's facility on the South Side. But, for a change, the Steelers have some breathing room under the cap.

In addition to the release of cornerback Chad Scott and Jay Riemersma and the restructuring of contracts for running back Jerome Bettis and linebacker James Farrior, the Steelers have struck more cap-friendly deals with linebacker Clark Haggans, running back Duce Staley and center Jeff Hartings.

In all three instances, the players gave up what they had coming in base salary in 2005 and agreed to play for the NFL minimum based on their years of experience. The differences were made up by signing bonuses.

"It makes no difference to us," said Jeff Sperbeck, Haggans' agent. "It's done for salary cap purposes."

Haggans, under contract through 2007, was scheduled to make $2 million in 2005 but instead will receive $540,000 and a $1.460 million bonus. That's a cap savings of $973,334.

Staley, signed through 2008, was to get $2.15 million in 2005 but instead will accept $665,000 and a $1.485 million bonus. That's a cap savings of $1,113,750.

Hartings, committed to the Steelers through 2006, was to work for $4.2 million in 2005 but is now on the books for $665,000 plus a pro-rated portion of a $3.535 million bonus. That's a cap savings of $1,767,500.

The deals were completed about a week ago.

The total savings of $3,854,584 from the Haggans, Staley and Hartings restructurings, combined with the releases of Scott and Riemersma and the cap-number reductions for Bettis and Farrior, affords the Steelers some much-needed room to maneuver.

Hartings' agent, Ben Dogra, isn't certain how much maneuvering they'll do beyond bringing back as many of their free agents as possible.

"I think they have a pretty good football team," he said. "I don't think they need a whole lot."

Dogra partners with agent Jim Steiner, who represents cornerback Willie Williams, one of 12 Steelers exposed to unrestricted free agency.

Dogra said the Steelers are "working on Williams," and that Williams "absolutely" wants to return.

Inside linebacker Kendrell Bell, made expendable by Tuesday's signing of inside linebacker Larry Foote, is being pursued hard by the New York Giants, according to agent sources. Bell signing with the Giants would reunite him with former Steelers defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, who was often frustrated with Bell's play during his Steelers tenure.

Two of the Steelers' unrestricted free agents are starters along the offensive line, right guard Keydrick Vincent and right tackle Oliver Ross.

Vincent said at the conclusion of the 2004 season that he'd been told by the Steelers they'd be giving the job back to the player he replaced, 2002 No. 1 pick Kendall Simmons, in 2005.

Vincent, in other words, is headed elsewhere.

Ross likely is, as well, with the Steelers having 2004 No. 3 pick Max Starks waiting in the wings.

"We only need five," offensive line coach/assistant head coach Russ Grimm said Wednesday. "We'll get five of them out there.

"We would like both of them (Vincent and Ross) back, there's no question. I doubt if we'd get both of them back. Hopefully, we'll get one of them back. If we do, we do; if we don't, we don't. When it's out of your hands you just wait and then go with what you have."

This is what we Steelers fans see almost on a yearly basis. :roll:

StillerPaul

Correct me if I am wrong but the Steelers philosophy has not been to be free wheeling in free agents. As far as I know you guys have picked your spots with mid level type guys and really done well with the pickups you have made.

You are correct. However, this is from us fans point of view. We never get to see a big time signing, we almost always are counting on the draft, and we always have to suffer good players leaving. Figured it was worth pointing out what we have to endure regularly.

StillerPaul

Correct me if I am wrong but the Steelers philosophy has not been to be free wheeling in free agents. As far as I know you guys have picked your spots with mid level type guys and really done well with the pickups you have made.

I wish I rooted for a team that employed that type of philosophy.

I wish I rooted for a team that employed that type of philosophy.

I knew that would get your attention Patsfantx.

New England has taken that philosophy and see what it has been able to accomplish with good coaching and players filling certain roles and accepting their roles.

It's worth noting that Keydrick Vincent would be a good pickup for the Jets, IMO. He has struggled in pass protection but improved. His runblocking is well above average. Not sure of the Jets o-line needs though.

Oliver Ross was a freakin turnstile his first couple of seasons IMO but last year he stepped his game up somewhat. He still had lapses (gave up 3 sacks in the 2nd Cinci game) but overall has shown improvement.

Archived