Jets articles Wed 8/13

Sperm Edwards

http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2008/08/12/jets-butter-up-the-fans/

Jets butter up the fans

Posted By Jane McManus On August 12, 2008 @ 5:41 pm In Uncategorized | 1 Comment

The stadium experience will be changing, Jets ticket holders. Separate announcements from Jets owner Woody Johnson and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority detailed just how.

Today Johnson released a letter to fans talking about some of the changes the new stadium will bring (see below), including some of the improved concessions and restrooms in the new stadim slated to open in 2010. The Jets are planning to announce a Personal Seat License Plan later this month, and this coupled with the addition of a new future Hall of Fame quarterback in Brett Favre could be a way to mitigate fan disgruntlement.

It seems security will be ramped up this year. Jets fans can now text stadium security on game day, in what Johnson alludes is a response to folks who felt they couldn’t take their children to a game. Last year the New York Times reported on Gate D, where mob mentality ruled at halftime. At the time the article was published, security was added but Johnson’s letter shows the team has given this issue a lot of thought.

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority also announced that Giants and Jets ticketholders will not be allowed to tailgate until five hours until game time, where in the past cars could enter the lots seven hours prior. Banners will be hung along Gate D to prevent harrassment of female fans and anyone ejected from a game will have his or her ticket revoked. Alcohol will not be sold after halftime.

nfl_a_johnson_275.jpg

Here is Johnson’s letter in full:

I want to update you on some important developments at the Jets. Last season was very disappointing. But during the offseason we made some important acquisitions in free agency and the draft. My goal this year is the same as it is every year: to field a team capable of winning every game.

We are working just as hard to improve our performance off the field. When I walk through the parking lots pregame, the main complaint I hear is about the temporary loss of parking due to construction of the new stadium. I know it’s a major problem, which we are working hard to mitigate. Regrettably, parking will still be constrained this year, but we will utilize spaces more efficiently and promptly communicate any parking changes. Fortunately, the entire transportation network will be upgraded significantly when our new stadium opens. A new rail line will take you from Penn Station to the game in 15 minutes and many more traffic lanes will ease your entry into and exit out of the stadium.

In addition to parking, I know you are concerned about the overall stadium environment. I have the same concerns. As a father, I find it completely unacceptable if fans are uncomfortable bringing their children to a Jets game. That is why we are launching a new program called Jets FansFirst. This initiative is aimed at improving the overall fan experience through preventive and proactive measures. For example, a new system will enable you to notify stadium security directly via text message of any concerns in the stands and on the concourses. The details of Jets FansFirst will be outlined in a new brochure which you will soon receive in the mail. More information will be available on newyorkjets.com before the start of the season, along with updates about our new stadium.

Opening in 2010, the new home of the Jets will stand apart from any other venue in the world. Something will always be going on in the new plaza encircling the entire stadium – whether it’s free concerts, live pregame broadcasts, or football simulations for kids. Entering the stadium along the 50-yard line will be an experience unique in sports. You will step foot into a soaring hall that celebrates our Jets past and present. You will move to your seats along concourses twice as wide as today and lined with virtually every conceivable type of food at eight times the number of concession stands. And about the bathrooms – there will be three times as many as there are now in the Meadowlands. The intimate seating bowl will offer excellent sightlines, rimmed by four massive scoreboards. There won’t be a bad seat in the house. Years in the making, I believe you will find your new stadium was well worth the wait.

I know that over the years you have invested your heart and soul in this franchise. And while we will be holding an official Fan Appreciation Day at our December 14th game vs. the Buffalo Bills, please know that all of us at the Jets recognize, day-in and day-out, that your loyalty and dedication to this team are unmatched in the NFL. Thank you for your support. I hope to see all of you this season.

Go Jets!

Robert Wood Johnson IV

Chairman & CEO[url=http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2008/08/12/jets-butter-up-the-fans/]

Erik Boland: Inside the Jets

A few words from Mr. Johnson

It might have been coincidental, but probably not. Arriving in my personal inbox this afternoon was an email with this in the subject line: "Need help writing your blog?"

Word gets around fast.

In the "from" line was Blog Tool and before taking offense, I realized I'd been called worse.

We'll just call it Spam and move on.

Many of you wrote some, um, interesting comments in relation to the Jenn Sterger post below and they're best left untouched. Chad's seemed to be the most popular.

Funny that longtime commenter Joe Musgo (a HOF screen name) mentioned my proposed PSL letter on behalf of Woody Johnson from a while back. It happens Johnson sent out letters to season ticket holders today that previewed a "Fans First" brochure that will be mailed out next week. Commenter JayM, going back and forth between this blog and Jenn Sterger's (you're welcome for the blog pub, Jenn), posted part of an AP story regarding new guidelines for Jets and Giants fans this season at the Meadowlands, including lots opening five hours before kickoff instead of the previous seven. The changes were announced by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.

But back to Johnson. The following is the full text of his letter:

"I want to update you on some important developments at the Jets. Last season was very disappointing. But during the offseason we made some important acquisitions in free agency and the draft. My goal this year is the same as it is every year: to field a team capable of winning every game.

We are working just as hard to improve our performance off the field. When I walk through the parking lots pregame, the main complaint I hear is about the temporary loss of parking due to construction of the new stadium. I know it

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/08/12/2008-08-12_brett_favre_is_an_aged_quarterback.html

Brett Favre is an aged quarterback

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 9:35 PM

Brett Favre is 38, and he's okay with that. Really, he is.

Since his blockbuster trade to the Jets, Favre has made self-deprecating references about his age, mentioning his gray hair on a couple of occasions. Why, even the rookies have gotten into it, tweaking him in a skit that was performed in front of the entire team.

You might say Favre is a Jurassic Jet - he has a chance this season to become the oldest quarterback to start a playoff game - but history shows that age isn't a bad thing for quarterbacks. Several big-name quarterbacks over the last 15 years have enjoyed productive seasons.

"I know people are making a big deal out of his age, but it's up to the individual," former Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde told the Daily News yesterday. "He's coming off a great year, so why shouldn't people expect another great year? The question is whether the rest of the team is up to it. I don't think you have to worry about the quarterback position."

Testaverde, who retired after last season at 44, has heard every age joke in the book. When he re-signed with the Jets in 2005, he discovered a can of Rustoleum in his locker, planted by some teammates. Funny stuff. But in 2001, at 38, Testaverde went 10-6 as the starter and led the Jets to the playoffs.

If any city can appreciate a ... um, seasoned quarterback, it's New York. In January 1994, the Giants' Phil Simms became the oldest quarterback to start (and win) a postseason game, according to the Elias Sports Bureau - 39years, 68 days. Favre would be a month older if he starts for the Jets in January.

After Simms, the next two oldest are Fran Tarkenton (Vikings, 1978) and Johnny Unitas (Colts, 1971), both of whom were 38. The oldest quarterback to start in a Super Bowl is John Elway, who led the Broncos over the Falcons in January 1999. He, too, was 38, which appears to be the magic number.

Simms said Favre "isn't what he used to be as far as arm strength," but he said the future Hall of Fame hasn't lost much off his fastball.

"He's a power pitcher," Simms told The News. "He threw 98mph as a rookie and, all these years later, he's still a power pitcher, except maybe he's at 94. He's absolutely one of the five best throwers of the football that's ever played."

Simms played very well in his final year at 38, which turned out to be his final season. He completed 62% of his passes, passed for 3,038 yards and 15 touchdowns, only nine interceptions, and compiled a passer rating of 88.3.

Joe Montana enjoyed a similar season for the Chiefs in 1994. His numbers: 61%, 3,283 yards, 16touchdowns, nine interceptions and an 83.6 rating. That was good enough to get the Chiefs into the playoffs.

On the flip side, there was Dan Marino, who played at 38 for the Dolphins in 1999 and wasn't close to his former self. He went 5-6 as the starter, with 12 touchdowns, 17 interceptions and a 67.4 rating, ending his brilliant career with an embarrassing 62-7 loss to the Jaguars in the playoffs.

By then, Marino's body has started to break down. Favre shows no signs of mortality, having started in a record 275 consecutive games, counting the postseason. The only question is whether his heart will be into it. After all, he retired and unretired.

"Don't worry about Brett," said NFL Network analyst Steve Mariucci, who served as Favre's quarterbacks coach in Green Bay from 1992 to 1995. "He'll give everything he has, his blood, his guts."

Testaverde, a native New Yorker, believes Favre will be embraced by Big Apple fans - if he's successful.

"I know football is big in Green Bay, but now he's in the spot," he said. "He's in the biggest town, on the biggest stage and everybody will be watching. There's nothing like it. I remember '98 with the Jets. I get chills just talking about that year. Hopefully, Brett can experience that."

GIVE IT A REST: The Jets received an unscheduled day off Tuesday. Two-a-days resume Wednesday at 8:45 a.m.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/08/12/2008-08-12_cutting_bait_with_chad_pennington_could_-1.html

Cutting bait with Chad Pennington could be a Fishy move for Jets

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 9:27 PM

Brett Favre starting instead of Chad Pennington has completely changed the expectations for the Jets. In comes a Hall of Famer who throws darts, out goes a capable veteran who doesn't have a fastball.

There is nothing not to like about Favre opening the season against the Dolphins on Sept.7 - except for the Jets' inability to trade Pennington and being forced to cut him, freeing him to sign with AFC East rival Miami, setting up Favre vs. Pennington in the season opener.

The Dolphins are bad enough coming off a 1-15 season that Tom Brady or Peyton Manning couldn't get more than five wins out of them. Still, Pennington is a significant upgrade over the quarterbacks polluting the air at the Dolphins' practices the last few weeks: rookie Chad Henne, second-year man John Beck and journeyman Josh McCown.

Pennington is smart enough to give Bill Parcells' latest reclamation project a chance. Not only does he know Dan Henning's offense from their year together with the Jets in 2000, but right now he knows Brian Schottenheimer's offense better than Favre. And no doubt he's already spilling his guts. If Pennington beats the Jets, GM Mike Tannenbaum will have some explaining to do about how, in the euphoria of trading for Favre, he couldn't trade Pennington and get him out of the AFC East.

"When somebody is a free agent, we can't control where he goes," Tannenbaum said Tuesday. "The fact that he is going within the division is another challenge we have to deal with as an organization. He makes Miami a better team."

Pennington was a free agent only because the Jets made him a free agent. The Packers refused to trade Favre to the Vikings or Bears in the NFC North and would not cut him because they knew he would sign with Minnesota. And there was not a chance they would allow Favre to run out of the tunnel on opening night at Lambeau Field - the night they were going to retire his No.4 - with the Vikings.

But the Jets did little to prevent Pennington from starting against them. Of course, the Packers had more to fear in facing Favre than the Jets do in facing Pennington. But just a week ago, he was their starting quarterback, a clear-cut winner over Kellen Clemens. How many teams cut their starting quarterback in training camp, then step aside to let him sign with a team in the division?

On the morning of the trade, the Jets thought they were running third on Favre's wish list behind the Bucs and the $25 million buyout/marketing deal the Packers were offering him to not play. Although Tannenbaum would not confirm any trade talks involving Pennington before the Favre trade, it's logical to think he tried to set up contingencies in the event the deal with Green Bay went through.

The Favre trade didn't become official until after midnight Wednesday and the Jets didn't have a deal for Pennington in their back pocket. It hurt when Herm Edwards and the Chiefs were not interested. The Jets had $6million of salary-cap room and had until 4 p.m. Thursday to fit in Favre's $12million salary. That meant clearing $6million - Pennington's salary.

Once the deal was made, not one team called the Jets trying to land Pennington, although six teams reportedly called him after he was cut. By the time of the Favre trade, anybody interested in Pennington knew the Jets had two choices: Cut Pennington or restructure $6 million in contracts and hold onto Pennington, hoping they could find a trade. That would have put them in an awkward spot with Pennington, but so what. This is business. The Jets had already made the decision to cut Pennington and word spread around the NFL. And with Tannenbaum flying out around 6 a.m. Thursday on Woody Johnson's private jet to Mississippi to pick up Favre, putting Pennington on waivers was already a done deal.

Pennington walked into practice in Miami on Monday, asserted himself in the huddle and had his new teammates raving about his leadership. In an era where there is a shortage of quarterbacks, the Jets just gave away a veteran with playoff experience. In the end, Pennington will start in Miami but is paying for it. His two-year deal with the Dolphins pays him a $3.5 million base salary plus a $500,000 roster bonus and incentives. That's a potential $2 million pay cut.

But it may all be worth it to him if he beats the Jets.

gmyers@nydailynews.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008/sports/jets/gang_green_keeps_eye_on_trio_grand_124189.htm

GANG GREEN KEEPS EYE ON TRIO GRAND

By MARK CANNIZZARO

August 13, 2008 --

Lost in the avalanche of euphoria and excitement surrounding Brett Favre's trade to the Jets was the performance of three young players who made impressive debuts in their preseason opener Thursday in Cleveland.

Now, as Saturday's preseason home opener against the Redskins approaches, the question for receiver David Clowney, cornerback Dwight Lowery and quarterback Brett Ratliff is this: What can you do for an encore?

Clowney, who was signed last season off the Packers' practice squad, delivered an eye-opening performance, catching TD passes of 71 and 70 yards and finishing with four catches for 163 yards.

Lowery, a fourth-round draft pick in April, essentially won the game for the Jets. His 62-yard punt return for a TD with 10:02 remaining gave them the 24-20 lead they would win by. And, his INT of Browns QB Ken Dorsey in the Jet end zone with 4:02 left in the game helped seal the victory.

As for Ratliff, he's performed so well that speculation has arisen that he's pushing Kellen Clemens for the No. 2 QB spot. He finished 14-of-20 for 252 yards and the two TDs to Clowney, and has been impressive in practices as well.

All three players will again get significant playing time against the Redskins.

Clowney, because of his speed, has a real chance to make a big role for himself on the team, which needs a big-play, down-the-field receiver for Favre.

Clowney is a player coach Eric Mangini and the assistants have talked about as someone who has "jumped off the screen" on practice films. The Jets hope his performance in the game was merely a progression from the practice field.

"He just wants to make sure he's not a one-hit wonder and there's some other singles coming out here in the near future," Mangini joked.

Clowney said he feels much more comfortable now that he's been with the team since last season and knows the playbook.

"When you actually know what you're doing, you're able to react a lot faster," he said. "Now that I've got the playbook in my head I'm able to react and play faster."

That, of course, leads to more speed on the field.

"We've got some speed in our receiving corps, but [Clowney] definitely stands out; one of his strengths is the deep ball. He stretches the defense with his speed," Ratliff said.

"Any time you have speed, that's a good thing offensively because you can get the ball down the field [with Favre] and you have someone [Clowney] that can get to where the ball can go," Mangini said. "You enjoy speed."

Interestingly, lack of speed is a reason Lowery slipped to the fourth round, timed at about a 4.6 in the 40 before the draft. The Jets, though, overlooked the speed issue and focused more on his ball skills.

"I feel like I have speed," Lowery said. "It's one thing to line up in a stance and there's no one chasing you. I'm not a track guy. I play football. When you put the pads on and it's competition and you're going against people, that's when you really find out what guys can do."

Lowery is making such progress, don't be surprised to see him starting opposite Darrelle Revis at some point this season. He appears to be that much of a find for the Jets.

Mangini said he thought Lowery's INT in the Cleveland game "was a really good look at what we saw in college" from him.

Ratliff, whose wife gave birth to their first child the day after the Cleveland game, had quite a week.

Mangini gave the players the day off from practices yesterday as a surprise respite.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/nfl-fantasy/12337

Favre’s fantasy impact on Jets

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 | Posted by Kyle Chrise

There's a new a new hero under center in New York (sorry, Eli), and it seems all of America is curiously waiting to see what Brett Favre will do in a Jets uniform. However, because fantasy drafts are approaching, thousands of tireless and dedicated owners can't wait for Week 1 to decide if Brett and his Jets have the goods.

Here's how the big move should affect your draft board.

Brett Favre - Quarterback

Favre, who's averaged more than 4,000 yards a season for the last four years, has been a top-10 fantasy passer for the last two campaign. In New York, there will be a learning curve for him, and it may take all of September to get on track. Plus, he's still likely to throw 20-plus picks. With that said, Favre will once again be a top-10 fantasy quarterback and could slip to the seventh or eighth rounds in some drafts. If you can pick him up there, you'll have a bargain.

Thomas Jones - Running back

The moment Favre gets behind center, the Jets' running game will instantly improve because defenses will become more reluctant to sneak an extra guy into the box. That, coupled with Gang Green's upgraded offensive line, should help Jones improve on last year's 3.6 yards per carry total. Favre's presence ought to upgrade Jones' value from a flex position or bye week starter to a decent No. 2 fantasy back. If he's still on your league's draft board in the fifth round, you may have a steal. If you do choose Jones, Leon Washington makes a good handcuff in Rounds 12 to 14.

Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery - Wide receivers

Coles and Cotchery are a little bit like Favre's former receivers Donald Driver and Greg Jennings: One is a tested veteran, while the other is a rising star. Coles is still one of the fastest receivers in the league and caught more than six out of every 10 passes thrown his way last season. Cotchery also has great hands and has caught 82 passes in each of his last two seasons. With Favre able to do things that Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens never could, both receivers are capable of having 1,000-yard seasons. But there's no need to stretch for either on your draft day. Check in on them starting around, say, the ninth round. You may nab a fantasy starter while others are slapping handcuffs on their studs' backups.

Chris Baker, Dustin Keller and Bubba Franks - Tight ends

Don't draft any of these guys. Franks played with Favre in the past and may get some of his attention early in the season while No. 4's still transitioning to the new offense. Rookie Keller has good hands, but he probably won't make a huge impact right away. As for Baker, he'll likely be relegated to a blocking role. There's a good number of other tight ends who will have more fantasy worth than this trio.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/jets/26899724.html

Richardson's value to Jets' backfield is no joke

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Tony Richardson was very happy when the Jets acquired Brett Favre last week. And not merely because his team had brought in the all-time NFL leader in touchdown passes.

With the 38-year-old Favre on the roster, that meant the 14-year veteran no longer was the oldest player on the Jets' roster. Thus, coach Eric Mangini had a new target for his jokes.

"I haven't heard one old joke since [Favre's] been here," Richardson said Monday after practice. The team didn't practice Tuesday.

"That's the first thing I told Brett when I saw him on the sidelines," the 36-year-old Richardson said smiling. "I'm glad you're here. Now I'm not the oldest guy around."

For the first two weeks of training camp, Mangini had made plenty of wisecracks at Richardson's expense, including some during his media briefings.

"With his wealth of experience," Mangini said of Richardson, "he can talk about a lot of different things. Not just situations that happened on the field, but a lot of different schemes. ... He can give the history of football playing in the leather helmets like he did and some of the young guys can't appreciate it. That's been helpful to me."

And before Favre joined the Jets, Richardson said that if a younger player had a question, Mangini might say, "Ask T-Rich. He's been in the league 27 years."

Richardson said, "I know it's all in fun."

Of course, Favre provides the Jets with more than a near-contemporary for Richardson, as the former Viking well knows. Richardson spent the last two seasons with Minnesota before signing with the Jets in March as an unrestricted free agent.

"You try to disguise as many looks as you can" on defense, Richardson said, but Favre "recognizes it and throws a quick pass. Then you stop that and he hands the ball to the running back and it's like you're playing chess. And a lot of times you're going to lose those chess matches. I've experienced it firsthand, up close and personal. ... There's so much going on in his mind. He's like having an offensive coordinator on the field."

Richardson is a three-time Pro Bowler, including last year, when he opened holes for rookie phenom Adrian Peterson. Now he will be working with Thomas Jones.

"We lean on each other a lot," Richardson said of Jones, "and once we cross that stripe, I can look in his eye [and] he can look in mine and we know it's all about business."

And, as advertised by Mangini, Richardson's veteran savvy helps him as a blocker.

"There are certain plays within the offense," Richardson said, "within the scheme of what we do, where you don't have to necessarily kill [the opposing linebacker]. You just have to get in front of him."

The 6-foot-1, 238-pound Richardson played some tailback in 2000 and has 201 receptions and nine touchdowns in his career. He's not just a decoy in the backfield, unlike some less flexible fullbacks.

"He's not just a milk truck," Mangini said. "He has a little bit of wiggle."

Mangini paused and added, "I'm sure through arthritis and everything [he's] maybe a little bit restricted, but he still has some fluidness."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/jets/26899794.html

Favre-Mangini relationship will be interesting

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When Brett Favre and center Nick Mangold messed up a snap Sunday morning, they each ran a penalty lap, as mandated by coach Eric Mangini. True to his word, Favre didn't ask for special treatment, despite his NFL demigod status. And, thus, he wasn't accorded any.

So the seemingly strange pairing of 38-year-old quarterback and 37-year-old head coach is off to a good start. But the situation certainly bears watching, even though Favre and Mangini are saying all the right things so far.

After watching Favre's first four practices as a Jet - and yeah, it still seems strange to be writing those words - it's easy to see why the Jets rolled the dice and gave up a draft pick to get him. Even though he will turn 39 in less than two months, Favre still has his trademark zip. And he still can throw a tight spiral over 70 yards in the air and hit his receiver in stride, delivering the ball into an incredibly small window, as he did to Jerricho Cotchery in practice Sunday.

Of course, as with any quarterback, there's another side to Favre. That is, a sometimes reckless passer who believes he can fit any pass into any spot, no matter how small, because he's done it successfully so many times in his career. The Jets got a glimpse of that side of Favre on Monday, when he threw a 30-yard pass off his back foot for tight end Dustin Keller into double coverage in the middle of the field. Favre was fortunate that the ball was merely incomplete, and not intercepted.

So the question is this: What will Mangini's reaction be the first time Favre throws one of those passes into traffic in an actual game, and it gets intercepted? Will he merely accept it as part of the cost of doing business with Favre as his quarterback, or will the coach do one of his trademark slow burns, the kind that seemingly could thaw everything in the walk-in freezer at Artie Bucco's restaurant? We'll find out eventually.

This much is certain about the Jets with Favre at quarterback: They won't be boring.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/08/13/kraft_welcomes_the_favre_factor/?rss_id=Boston.com%20--%20New%20England%20Patriots%20news

Kraft welcomes the Favre factor

By Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff | August 13, 2008

FOXBOROUGH - Patriots owner Robert Kraft is taking the big-picture view of Brett Favre's move to the Jets, saying the iconic quarterback's arrival in New York is good for the NFL and the AFC East.

Speaking yesterday at a foreclosure-prevention workshop sponsored by the Patriots Charitable Foundation, Kraft said Favre's addition would only enhance the Patriots' rivalry with the Jets.

"It's good for our fans, and I know that our coaching staff and veteran players love every reason they can to step it up and make a point," said Kraft. "That's what's happening here."

Favre already has had an impact on the way the Jets are perceived by the league's television partners. Kraft, who is chairman of the NFL's Broadcast Committee, said CBS is planning to send its top announcing tandem to Miami for the Jets' season opener Sept. 7 against ex-Jets quarterback Chad Pennington and the Dolphins.

He said the network, which carries AFC games, was "ecstatic" to have Favre as part of its programming.

As for his team facing Favre, Kraft pointed out that the last time the Patriots played a Favre-led team, they won, 35-0, at Green Bay in 2006, a game in which Favre got injured in the first half. But Kraft also harkened back to Super Bowl XXXI, when Favre led the Packers to a 35-21 victory over the Patriots. He remembered Favre hitting Andre Rison for a 54-yard touchdown in the first quarter.

"He's so great," said Kraft. "I think he still has more wins against us; he's one of the few active players who have more wins than losses [against us], so I hope we can straighten that record out.

"He's a great, great player. He's a great competitor. I think the Jets got stronger, and I think Miami got stronger getting Pennington. I've always thought he's great, and he has the highest completion [percentage] of any NFL quarterback."

Kraft was then asked about the future of his own star quarterback, Tom Brady, whose contract is up after the 2010 season.

Redoing Brady's deal seems to make sense since it saddles the Patriots with $14 million in cap charges this season and next, and is now below market compensation in light of the huge deal rookie Matt Ryan, a Boston College product, got from the Atlanta Falcons, which included $34.5 million in bonuses and guarantees.

"I'm going to let the contract discussions go with the people who handle it," said Kraft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080812&sportCat=nfl

Splitsville: Dissecting Favre and the Packers

By Gregg Easterbrook

Page 2

Actual quotation: "I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers." Brett Favre, July 26. Brutus also said he did not want to be a distraction to Julius Caesar. Et tu, Brette?

Now that Favrarama is finally over -- please, say it's over -- it's time to confront the real reason No. 4 is no longer a Packer: bureaucratic politics. From a distance, it appeared irrational that Green Bay actively wanted to be rid of the leading performer in its history -- Lambeau Field in January is not as frosty as this Packers press release -- while Favre actively wanted to disparage the organization that conferred celebrity on him. Yet seen through the lens of bureaucratic politics, all made sense.

First Brutus demanded to be traded to Carthage, then he took matters into his own hands.

Favre wanted Green Bay management to bow and scrape before him, and wanted the world to think he was the one calling the shots. There's never been a Bill Russell or Dave Cowens in the modern NFL, as player-coaching doesn't work in such a complex sport. It seems Favre longed to be seen as the first player/general manager. For years, he has been lecturing Green Bay leadership in public about decisions regarding Randy Moss, Marco Rivera and others. When Favre appeared to hang up his cleats in March, Green Bay management made the decision to anoint Aaron Rodgers and add another prominent quarterback in the draft. By demanding to come back, Favre was essentially saying to the world, "Another wrong management decision, what they should have done was spent the spring begging me to return." It's arguable this is indeed what Green Bay management should have done -- the Packers were more likely to have a strong season in 2008 with Favre than with Rodgers. (Switching to Rodgers probably improves the five-year outlook.) From the bureaucratic standpoint, the key was that Favre wanted to be the one in charge, making the decision about who takes the snap.

For Green Bay's management -- president Mark Murphy, general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy -- bureaucratic politics was paramount. All were sick of waxing Favre's car and picking up his dry cleaning; he treated them like footmen, and they've been simmering. In 2006, Favre staged a retirement melodrama that ended with Favre acting in public as though he saved the team by coming back. Maybe the coaching staff and management had something to do with team success, too! So long as Favre hung around, there was no way Murphy, Thompson or McCarthy would ever get credit for Green Bay accomplishments: it would be Favre, Favre, Favre in the media. Consider the possibilities grid created when Favre tearfully "retired" in March:

Favre ends career; Packers have winning season. Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy are praised as mega-geniuses for having a succession plan in place.

Favre ends career; Packers have losing season. Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy off the hook. People say, "What did you expect after they lost Brett Favre?"

Once Favre started demanding a comeback, the possibilities became entirely negative from the standpoint of Green Bay management:

Green Bay agrees to whatever Favre wants. "Boy, what a bunch of wusses those guys running the Packers are."

Favre stays in Mississippi; Green Bay has winning season. Fans complain, "The year would have been so much more fun if those idiots running the team had brought Favre back."

Favre stays in Mississippi, Packers have losing season. "The Packers are run by idiots!"

Favre traded to another team, plays well. "Idiots! Idiots!"

Favre traded to another team, plays poorly. Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy blamed; their disrespect to Favre is said to have caused him to end his storied career on a sour note. Surely, Favre himself will be saying this.

Broadway Joe actually played in New York -- Hacksensack Brett will play in New Jersey.

Favre returns to Packers; Green Bay has winning season. Brett Favre! Brett Favre! Brett Favre! That's all you hear from the national media. Green Bay management will be seen as fools for almost fouling up a Favre comeback -- in which Favre single-handedly won games, of course.

Favre returns to Packers, Green Bay has losing season. "It's all their fault because of the way they treated him!"

Thus if Favre actually stayed retired, Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy faced an appealing set of prospects -- either they would be lavished with praise for success, or not blamed for failure. Once Favre began demanding reinstatement, there was no scenario in which Packers management came off looking good. This explains why Murphy, Thompson and McCarthy reacted so negatively to the late June news that Favre was talking comeback. They knew they'd not only have to deal anew with a runaway ego, but no matter what they did, they'd be denounced.

Meanwhile, Favre was "retired" for five months, during a period in which people in his profession are normally inactive anyway. There must be a better verb than "retire" for what occurs when a pro athlete ends his playing career, since this happens when the person is relatively young and will continue working for decades.

Only the Atlantic Monthly could put Britney Spears on the cover fully clothed.

Archived