Live Erik Boland Chat

flgreen

11:27

Greetings, Jets fans. The live chat will begin shortly.

11:29

Helloooooooooooooo all. Boland here. The moderator will begin feeding me questions soon.

11:30

Here we go....

11:30

[Comment From dmb88886]

How many series you think Favre wil play on Saturday?

11:31

dmb! whats up. well, eric mangini was actually pretty specific about that yesterday. he at first said "8, 10, 12 plays" and then came back to that and narrowed it to his plan going in was 10 or 12 plays. so about what would be normal for the second preseason game, even though this is favre's first

11:31

[Comment From Nep Oznat]

Erik Thanks so much for the hard work to keep your blog up to date. It

11:35

[Comment From mrfield16]

Erik, first of all..thank you for your dedication to the NY Jet fans...we really appreciate all your efforts - you are VERY popular on the ESPN Boards!! Now for the question...who has Favre appeared to be bonding with? What 3 players would you say he is hitting it off with the most based on body langauge...he is a jokster by nature..who is he laughing with in practice?

11:37

mrfield16, thanks. i appreciate that. tough question. I've seen favre talking and laughing a lot with all of the quarterbacks, mangold and faneca and more quite a bit and believe it or not, L. Coles. The way the coles stuff was portrayed, that favre and him just started talking and joking last wednesday, wasn't true. I'd see those guys yukking it up last saturday during favre's first practice. not that coles still isnt upset but it's not at favre specifically

11:38

that "more" in the last answer should have been "Moore" as in Brandon Moore

11:38

[Comment From John (Staten Island, NY)]

Does Eric Smith have a firm grip on a starting job? I haven't heard much of his name and more of Abram Elam recently.

11:39

john, yes, as of now it's pretty firm. d coord bob sutton talked to us yesterday and said he has been very impressed with smith. Elam you've heard a lot of recently because his name was mentioned all over the place for picking off Favre in practice. But smith hasn't done anything to lose the job to this point. Elam has played well in spots but smith still is the guy.

11:40

[Comment From Matt]

Will we be seeing a lot of two tight end sets with Keller running and Baker blocking?

11:41

matt, i think the two tight end sets would have been much more frequent if pennington or clemens turned out to be the starter. With Favre you won't see that as much. Baker still has great hands so he's not going to be called upon to block as much as he was last year. and keller had another big day yesterday in practice after having a relatively quiet week since favre arrived

11:42

[Comment From Crazy Eddie]

some might think this is an insignificant question, but has Nugent been working on kickoffs? Its frustrating watching him kick off to the 10 everytime. In college he had no trouble getting it into the end zone. Is he doing better this year?

11:42

Are you on the world's most famous futon today?

11:44

crazy eddie...haha. I am not on the world' most famous futon. I am at an undisclosed location to be disclosed later but not now. as for nugent, here's the thing: pretty much all of his kickoffs during practice have been inside the five but remember, they don't want him kicking the ball through the end zone - or even into it - during drills when they're working on drills. his leg seems a little stronger to me when i've seen him kick 50-plus yard FGs in practice but kickoffs have been tough to judge right now.

11:44

[Comment From Deb from New England]

Hey Erik, Now that Favremania has settled down, let's talk about the defense. Will they take all season to gel again, or has Mangini put pressure on the DC to get things going earlier?

11:45

deb from NE, thanks for coming back despite my jenn sterger blog post! anyway, the defense BETTER not take all season to gell. And i don't think it will. the jets finally have the personnel to run the 3-4 defense as it should be run and i think from the get-go the unit will be ready. and it better be with the tough first month of the season.

11:46

is Ainge a wasted pick? If he doesnt make the team will he stick on the practice sqad?

11:47

eddie, i wouldn't call it a wasted pick yet but he clearly hasn't had a good camp. mangini the other day was extolling ainge's great sense of humor and if that's your primary attribute as a QB, everyone's in trouble. I wouldn't be shocked if they say his pinky is bothering him again and stash him on IR but that's just me talking.

11:47

[Comment From Jimmy. TEAM CHAD.]

Erik, heard you on WFAN this morning, good job. Whats with Joey Recco trying to steal your airtime?? HAHA. Do you think that if Favre plays one year here and retires & Chad is released after his 1 guarenteed 08 season, the team will be interested in bringing him back with his experience and knowledge of their system? Or do you think it would be a slap in the face to Chad?

11:49

jimmy, haha. thanks. yeah i was thinking that too about Jerry R. Kidding. Jerry is definitely one of the good guys in this business. to your question: i have a better chance of landing a date, or even a conversation, with jenn sterger (see blog post from a few days ago) than chad p. coming back here.

11:49

[Comment From Bryan]

Boland, good meeting you the other day. Sorry I haven't been around the blogosphere lately, things have been kind of hectic. Anyway, has there been any indication whether the Jets have tried to tailor the offense more to Favre's strengths, or have they tried to fit Favre into the team's offense?

11:51

good meeting you too, Bryan. when we had O coord Brian Schottenheimer in yesterday he talked about how he went back and reviewed some of his past experiences with the west coast offense. So while the entire offensive scheme isn't getting changed, it clearly is being tweaked to an extent to favor favre's strengths and what he's been familiar with

[Comment From Matt]

How do you think the Jets will fare against the Patriots this year? I think that we will have to pass a lot because the Pats have a weak secondary, having lost Randall Gay and Asante Samuel to free agency. Also, how has the defense been coming along? I haven't heard much about it.

[Comment From David Barrett]

CUT ME ALREADY!!!!

11:54

haha. d. barrett....that reads suspiciously like commenter dmb. wow....anyway, Matt, there's no question the pats secondary appears weak going into the season but that road has been traveled before with belichick and he's had some good secondaries in the past when no one thought he would. of course Mangini might have had something to do with that too. Bottom line on the pats: they're the AFC kings until someone knocks them off but the jets have never, recently anyway, been better prepared to beat them. as for the defense, you haven't heard much about them because of one name: Favre. But the unit has looked pretty good overall, although the second corneback situation hasn't worked itself out as quickly as i thought it would when camp started

11:54

[Comment From Maynard13Titan]

What's up Erik? What has the give and take between Schotty and Callahan been like so far? What influence does Callahan have on play calling?

11:56

maynard13, callahan was brought in primarily to work on the o line and that's been what he's been doing. That said, with his experience in the west coast, he assuredly is asked for his thoughts on various things - and was before favre got here - but trust me, there will be no issues between Callahan and Schottenheimer. Callahan i think is just enjoying coaching what most people believe to be his specialty: the offensive line.

11:57

how is Leon Washington being used this year? Seems less room for him with the production of the WRs and adding in Keller at TE.

11:59

eddie, washington is being used as a kick returner and running back but we've also seen him catch quite a few balls out the backfield. that's continued with favre's arrival and washington's had such a good camp it's obvious the jets are going to try and maximize his touches this season.i dont see him in danger of being de-emphasized in any way. that might be spelled wrong but whatever.

11:59

[Comment From dmb88886]

How has Drew Coleman done so far in camp in coverage? I don

12:08

sheets, you're right, i'm not into predictions, though after the favre deal i might have showed up somewhere that night/morning predicting 11-5 so i'm kinda on record there. I agree, if the jets can upset either the pats or chargers there, a fast start out of the gate looks likely because after those first three, the sched does ease up a bit

12:09

[Comment From ed]

Erik, How much do you think the jets will miss vilma?

12:12

ed, not too much to be honest. Harris' numbers skyrocketed last year after Vilma got hurt and I think while Barton isn't as good as Vilma, the surrounding cast is good enough to where he won't be missed. BArton has an an excellent camp, too. better than most have expected

12:12

[Comment From JetsFanDan]

With rumor that the Jets were also pursuing Jon Lynch, do you see Mangini going after a vet S before camp is over Erik? Personally, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to move Barrett over to S, but that would weaken our CB depth a little.

12:13

we have time for two more questions

12:14

jetsfandan, the jets without question will scan the waivers after that first cut down and the most likely position they'll look at will be cornerback and probably safety. some of that too might have to do with the development of Dwight lowery which is coming along faster than anyone thought. there's an outside shot lowery could end up in that no. 2 corner spot, which i didnt mention earlier in this chat and should have

12:14

[Comment From JD]

what do you think about the depth on the D-Line. has anyone stepped up while Ellis has been out? and what about the depth at MLB after loosing Kassell? how has Cummings looked and does he have a chance? how has Cody Spencer looked so far.

12:17

jd, devito and c.j. mosley, though mostly devito, have been in there replacing ellis and have looked ok, but ellis was having a really good camp until getting hurt. but mangini said ellis was likely to play in the opener. murrell has had a few good camp days and seems to be getting more time. spencer as of now i'd have to say is a real long shot to make it

Last question coming up. Thanks to all who submitted queries. Sorry we didn't get a chance to get to them all.

[Comment From Mike from Long Beach]

Do you think the Jets offensive weapons are being slightly overrated in all of the Favre hype?

12:20

mike, that's hard to say because we haven't seen favre throw to any of them other than in practice. But did the Jets suddenly develop a randy moss with favre coming in? no, but you can also see from practice some plays that just weren't possible before with the other QBs, such as the 75-yard touchdown to cotchery last sunday that went 65 yards in the air and hit the receiver in stride. everyone's game should get raised with favre - even at 38 - coming in.

thanks to everyone as always. you make the this "job" fun. we'll do this again probably late next week sometime.

Yeah, he's pretty good. He even responds to people that post comments in his blog and seems like a generally good guy, unlike Cimini, who never seems happy doing what he's doing.

I agree

He has become my favorite scribe by far. I have submitted several questions to him, and he has answered. Seems like a real nice guy.

he is new and will probably take him a few years to get jaded

Even though he is not a Jets fan (Browns) he is sill fairly upbeat, while not being a homer

Archived