Pettitte plans to pitch in 2009

MagicBizkit87

Pettitte plans to pitch in 2009

Agent confirms choice; lefty tells TV station he'd like return to Yanks

By Jim Molony / MLB.com

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Andy Pettitte wants to pitch in 2009, his agent confirmed Tuesday night.

Pettitte, who has not yet filed for free agency, went 14-14 with a 4.54 ERA in 33 starts for the Yankees in 2008. The 36-year-old left-hander has been mulling whether to come back for another year or retire.

"He has decided to pitch," Pettitte's Houston-based agent, Randy Hendricks, confirmed via e-mail to MLB.com.

During his 14-year career, Pettitte has pitched 200 or more innings 10 times, including each of the past four seasons for the Astros and Yankees.

Pettitte told a Houston television station Tuesday night he would like to continue his career with the Yankees.

"I would like to play again," Pettitte said in an interview with KRIV. "My thoughts are there. I'd like to play again. Other than that, I will have to see what happens. I am letting my agents handle everything."

Asked if he would like to continue playing with the Yankees, Pettitte said he would.

"That's what I would like to do, obviously," Pettitte said prior to a charity event to raise money for college students affected by Hurricane Ike. "Hopefully, we can see if something happens. Randy and me, we talked about three weeks ago, and really we haven't talked since then. As far as I know, nothing has happened at all."

Pettitte said he is thrilled that his arm is healthy enough to allow him to pitch at least one more year.

"It means a lot, especially the way I felt down the stretch this year," Pettitte said. "My shoulder gave me a little bit of trouble at the end of the season this year. I've had it checked out. The doctors told me that everything looks good. I just need some rest. What it does, is it gives me an option to play and gives me the confidence to know that I think I will be able to continue to stay healthy."

Pettitte said he would not consider a medical procedure just to continue playing baseball.

"If there was any chance of surgery, or anything like that, it would have made it extremely simple and say I was going to be done," Pettitte told the station.

Jim Molony is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Pettitte Looking For Two Years?

By Tim Dierkes [November 5, 2008 at 4:44pm CST]

We know Andy Pettitte wants to pitch in 2009, and he prefers the Yankees. However, the Yanks want to hear from Mike Mussina before they talk to Pettitte. Further complicating matters, Ken Davidoff says Pettitte may desire a two-year deal.

Davidoff figures the Astros will try to jump in and sign Pettitte. The Astros seem to have room in the budget for one free agent starter.

As much as I love Andy I would prefer Moose at the back of the rotation if they only retain 1. They should follow the Yankee dynasty and bring back both while adding 2 top notch starters via FA/trade and have 6 quality starters.

Your rotation would be:

Sabathia

Wang

Peavy/other

Mussina

Andy

with Joba waiting in the wings ala Ramiro Mendoza...

Archived