Meinecke Bowl

T-Mac

We're looking at a UNC/Rutgers rematch if the BE home teams win out this week. Scarlet Knights are a different team than they were early on.

North carolina has been on the downslide as the season has progressed as the opposite.

We're looking at a UNC/Rutgers rematch if the BE home teams win out this week. Scarlet Knights are a different team than they were early on.

nope,,i have been told that there will be no rematch..

its either Pitt or West Virginia..thats it...if u win u get Papa Johns Bowl vs Arkansas State,,only way u get Meineike is if UNC goes to Music City bowl instead

NOTES -- Since the Gator Bowl invited Clemson, North Carolina is now the most likely ACC representative in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte. That's good news for Pitt because it pushes Rutgers -- who has already played the Tar Heels -- out of the mix for that bowl and squarely into the PapaJohns.com Bowl. Pitt still needs Rutgers to beat Louisville tonight to keep Notre Dame out of the mix, but if the Scarlet Knights win, the developments with North Carolina virtually guarantee that Pitt is headed to the Sun Bowl regardless of what happens Saturday against Connecticut. West Virginia appears headed to the Meineke Car Care Bowl. But if the Sun takes West Virginia, Pitt would go to the Meineke Bowl as opposed to the PapaJohns.com bowl.

Big East bowl picture begins to take shape

By Mike Casazza

Daily Mail sports writer

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- The Big East's bowl picture takes form tonight, but nothing is likely to be finalized until Sunday.

The dominoes begin to fall when Rutgers (6-5, 4-2 Big East) plays host to Louisville (5-6, 1-5) as the Scarlet Knights try to tack red-hot status to their postseason resume and finish with six straight wins.

The game is 7:30 p.m. on ESPN.

Should Rutgers win, Notre Dame is eliminated from its Big East tie-in to the Gator and Sun bowls.

By all accounts, the Gator will pick a Big 12 team to oppose Clemson. A Rutgers win and a win by No. 23 Pitt (8-3, 4-2) Saturday at Connecticut (7-4, 3-3) likely lands the Panthers in the Sun in El Paso, Texas, Dec. 31, no matter what WVU does.

The Sun picks first in the Big East's lineup. It rarely gets a ranked team, but was excited to have a ranked South Florida last year to help with the game's credibility.

That would bump WVU (7-4, 4-2) into the happy lap of the Meineke Car Care in Charlotte, N.C., Dec. 27.

"West Virginia put us on the map," Car Care chairman Will Webb said. "West Virginia brings a great crowd. It's a tank of gas to Charlotte, which in this economy is a factor."

The Mountaineers played in the inaugural Charlotte game against Virginia in 2002 and helped generate an estimated economic impact of $46 million for the city. It was also the largest crowd for a non-BCS bowl that year and the second-largest crowd for a debut bowl.

Rutgers would likely be in the PapaJohns.com in Birmingham, Ala., Dec. 29 and UConn would go to the International in Toronto Jan. 3.

USF, which plays at WVU in Saturday's 8 p.m. ESPN2 game, is the obvious candidate for the nearby inaugural St. Petersburg Bowl Dec. 19.

WVU's best shot at the Sun is with a Rutgers win and a Pitt loss, through either Rutgers or WVU could get in with a Pitt win.

Rutgers has a media market and a win streak. WVU has an appeal with its fan following and a team that's had great success the past few years.

Additionally, the Sun bowl is basically a community event with limited tickets for the teams, so a team's drawing power isn't too significant. The Car Care is a big game for ACC teams and is expected to pick North Carolina, which will bring plenty of fans.

In that case, the Car Care would then gladly take Pitt.

"There's a lot of interest," Webb said. "They could be a ranked team and they have good fan enthusiasm. We're still a young bowl game. It's just our seventh year, so to get a ranked team would be a coup."

If the Sun takes WVU or Pitt, Rutgers could be relegated to the PapaJohns.com by default. If the Car Care takes UNC, it's already played and beaten Rutgers this season and Webb said he'd prefer to avoid a rematch.

However, Webb said the bowl has not picked an ACC representative and may wait until Sunday, when it could select from among Miami, UNC, Wake Forest, Florida State and maybe even the loser of the conference title game between Boston College and Virginia Tech.

If Rutgers loses tonight, Notre Dame, now with its head coaching situation settled, would take the Sun spot. Webb said his game would pay close attention to the Pitt and WVU games.

"Honestly," he said, "all the games this week matter."

I don't think they'd take Pitt off a loss and having been blown out by Rutgers. RU would travel better also. WVU should beat SFU on the way to the Sun, if UCONN takes PITT out at home I'll see you in Charlotte.

Off to Piscataway. Later.

I don't think they'd take Pitt off a loss and having been blown out by Rutgers. RU would travel better also. WVU should beat SFU on the way to the Sun, if UCONN takes PITT out at home I'll see you in Charlotte.

Off to Piscataway. Later.

I would be shocked since bowl chairman said last nite that , no rematches wanted and we will take west vir , regardless of sat result if pitt doesnt come

You'll be shocked alright.

The Meineke Bowl committee was at a Rutgers home game 2 weeks ago and said at the time that Rutgers and WVU were their top 2 picks for the Big East at that moment. Since then things have changed such as WVU losing to Pitt and UNC being the ACC representive. Now it appears WVU will finish behind Pitt and an UNC/RU matchup is not what they are looking for at this moment. Pitt (who doesn't travel well) would be a great matchup and the bowl committee knows UNC will supply the fans for the game.

Only way Rutgers gets Tire Bowl is if UNC goes to Music City Bowl instead..its a longshot, someother things have to happen #1 being VirTech loses to BC this weekend.

Then you may get Maryland in Tire Bowl...

I would be shocked since bowl chairman said last nite that , no rematches wanted and we will take west vir , regardless of sat result if pitt doesnt come

You'll be shocked alright.

I told u it was WVU......

Where is Rutgers going now??

I hope gthey get a good slot , they Are playing great now...

Archived