Gene Michael should remind Brian Cashman about Greg Maddux

AFJF

and what Maddux did when he was the top free agent pitcher available many years ago. Stick spent days and days wining and dining a guy who didn't have the guts to pitch in NY and only wanted the Yankees in the picture so that he could drive up his price tag. Stick played along with Maddux while some of the other top pitchers available signed elsewhere. It ended up working out for the Yankees as they had to "settle" for Jimmy Key but teams who are interested in Burnett, Lowe, Sheets, etc.. might take advantage of Cashmans time away from the winter meetings to make them offers good enough for them to sign. Just sayin....

Jimmy Key was 35-10 with a combined ERA of slightly over 3.00 and finished 4th and 2nd in the Cy Young voting in his first 2 years with the Yankees. Maddux was 36-16 during the same time frame with roughly a 2.00 era in the National League where pitchers had approximately a .3 ERA advantage over those 2 years. Jimmy also pitched under more of a spotlight than Maddux who was pitching in the playoffs infront of empty seats (not to mention the media being much more intimidating in NY). Is Jimmy Key as good as Greg Maddux? Obviously not... but he was a top 5 pitcher with the Yankees until he got hurt.

Yeah... we settled for Jimmy Key. I hope we settle for 5 Jimmy Keys next year.

So yeah... I agree with the original poster who says we had to "settle" for Jimmy Key.

Exactly...Jimmy Key was a stud for the Yankees and there is no way in hell they expected him to be anywhere near that good or they would have been chasing him instead of Maddux.

The point of the post was that the Yankees missed out on David Cone in his prime because they were wasting their time with Maddux. CC clearly does not want to pitch in NY or he would have already accepted an offer that is the biggest in the history of the game. If CC signs it'll be because the players union pressured him to and it's that simple.

People who think we can just sit around and get a second tier FA who will out perform or match CC they way Key did Maddux are willing to take quite a risk. I say let CC walk and go after guys who are willing to accept an offer that is more than fair instead of just using it to drive up the offers from the teams they actually want to pitch for.

I wonder how many so called Yankee fans that post here actually remember anything before last few championships.

I do. I remember sitting by my radio listening to WFANs minute by minute coverage of Stick Michael wasting his time wining and dining Greg Maddux in an effort to make the Yankees legit again. Kind of the original point of my post.

Archived