JetNation Scoop! Holliday to the Phins.

Smizzy

Holliday agrees to deal with Dolphins

By Alex Marvez

Staff Writer

Posted March 5 2005

The Dolphins added potential starters at defensive end and safety Friday and moved closer to a restructured contract with linebacker Junior Seau.

Ex-Kansas City defensive end Vonnie Holliday agreed to terms on a two-year contract, and safety Travares Tillman was signed to a two-year deal. Financial terms were not immediately available

As for Seau, the Dolphins are expected to finalize an agreement next week that will lower his 2005 salary-cap number of $4.3 million. Seau is slated to earn $3 million this season with a roster bonus of $500,000, which is considered too pricy for a 36-year-old veteran who is projected to assume more of a part-time role in 2005.

Kansas City signed Holliday to a five-year, $21.3 million contract in 2002 after five seasons in Green Bay, which had made him a first-round draft choice in 1998. But Holliday, 29, never made the impact Kansas City had hoped, leading to his recent release for cap reasons.

It's unknown how the Holliday acquisition will affect the Dolphins' pursuit of defensive ends Kevin Carter, Bobby Hamilton and Tony Bryant. The Trenton Times reported Friday that Philadelphia defensive end Derrick Burgess is scheduled to meet Tuesday with the Dolphins.

The Dolphins are hoping Tillman can live up to the promise he has yet to fulfill as a 2000 second-round draft pick by Buffalo. Tillman spent a year out of football after being released by the Bills in the 2002 preseason. He returned with Houston in 2003 and made the roster before being waived and subsequently claimed by Carolina.

Tillman failed to win a starting spot with the Panthers and appeared in only six games last season before going on injured reserve with a broken forearm. Tillman will have the chance to earn a starting spot with 2004 starters Arturo Freeman and Sammy Knight not expected to return.

Knight, who started for the Dolphins the past two years at strong safety, has a free-agent visit scheduled next week to Kansas City.

Seau had double-digit tackles in five of the Dolphins' first eight games last season before landing on injured reserve with a torn pectoral muscle.

The Dolphins also visited with Atlanta free-agent linebacker Matt Stewart.

He stinks, I thought they were going after Kevin Carter, who's much better....

Holliday was totally "chumped' in 2004 by DD.com top "suprise player to watch to at DE" Jared Allen--named prior to the 2004 draft 8) ...

Allen, from Idaho State, led all rooks with 9 sacks.

Back to Holliday: He stinks and is overrated...

I was looking at a "chatwrap" from a Dallas paper Thursday...

The dumb a$$ writer was going on and on talking about how "great' Dempsey Demps would be for the Cowboys... :shock:

Comical, because doing research for the Baltimore free agents, every one thought he was the teams worst starter--fans, media, ect.

Point?

I guess it pays to stick around in the NFL....Even if you stink like Holliday, someone will pay you a ton of money if you make it to free agency :roll:

TS, football is a messed up sport...In baseball, if you hit .220, you are laughed at. If you do it a few consecutive seasons, you're skewered...

Because football fans only really watch QB's, runners and receivers, they ignore how bad defenders and lineman have been---Hence some are awed by Holliday or Maimi fans doing cart-wheels over this chump.

Let's be honest, his name helps....With a weird name like Vonnie Holliday, folks remember 1 good season forever...

If his name was Steve Smith, would anyone remember the few good games he had in the 1990's?

Kind of like Darryl Strawberry, who's name alone made him a superstar player from day 1.

TS, football is a messed up sport...In baseball, if you hit .220, you are laughed at. If you do it a few consecutive seasons, you're skewered...

Because football fans only really watch QB's, runners and receivers, they ignore how bad defenders and lineman have been.

Let's be honest, his name help....With a weird name like Vonnie Holliday, Folks remember 1 good season for ever...

If his name was Steve Smith, would anyone rember the few good games he had in the 1990's?

Kind of like Darryl Strawberry, who's name alone made him a superstar player from day 1.

Interesting about the name-recognition factor letting a bum stick around. You wonder how many of these decisions are made because they think they're getting a good player, or because they want to placate the fans. I'm listening to sports radio up here in Rochester (Bills country) and the "fans" are calling in talking about Kelly Holcombe like he's Y.A. Tittle. Unbelievable. It's like these Jets "fans" who are screaming and yelling for them to sign Chris Hovan.

Yea, not sure teams care about the "names", but fans definitely get dupped...

Imagine if the Dolphins signed young Sam Rayburn of Philly tonight?

He could be a 300 pound star--top 5 among DT's in sacks (7) as a backup in 2004 and plays the run like Siragusa.

But would anyone care?

Say Vonnie Holliday and the fans go in a frenzy--huge news :oops:

#########

One of our football sources is a someone in Cleveland, who's step-son is an NFLe QB....His step-daughter is/was Kelly Holcombs neighbor...

He told me a few weeks ago, Holcomb fully intends to start in the NFL, no questions asked!...With a chump like Losman, he could be starting in the playoffs for the Bills.

######

By the way, this person's step-son went to the same school as Hovan (a Clevelander)...I agree to a degree, but at least Hovan's kind of young and there's a hope he can be good again...Vonnie may even be past his prime---if he even had a prime :P

Rigs, they had Losman on the local news up here tonight and they compared his situation to Tom Bady's (replacing Beldsoe, yadda yadda). Anyway, Losman was visibly annoyed by the comparison, as if he was insulted by the nference that he was going to be a Brady-esque game-manager type. Unbelievable. He said "Well, I'm gonna do what I do. We run a different system here..." I predict he's benched by Week 7, myself.

As for Hovan, I really want to get the story of what happened to him in Minnesota. You really wonder if he was a steroid guy who couldn't do jack when he got off the juice. It would be a great story if someone picked him up and he flourished (especially the Jets), but you just don't know. Him and Kyle Turley are in the same boat that way, except Turley's body may be giving out on him already.

And about Rayburn...FA? And what do you think about Tommy Polley of the Rams. I didn't see that he signed anywhere, but I always liked his speed and play-making. COuld be a nice pick-up for someone.

Actually Rayburn won't be a free agent any time soon...Despite being in his 2nd season as undrafted player, Philly handed him a 7 season extension..

Kind of just mocking the Miami fans that are happy tonight--if they are--over a waste of time. Yet wouldn't know a decent player, if he smacked them in the a$$ :lol:

Hovan is a huge risk. Any time a player goes from 2nd team All-Pro (that's All Pro, not Pro Bowl) in the NFL as a 23 year old, to a 25 year old reject, something is strange...

Yes, I wonder what happened to him...Asked my "souce" from Cleveland about him and he told me he had no idea, despite the fact his NFL playing step-son went to the same school.

No one knows, but he'll get a shot. If it is roids, he done. If it was just a system thing, with horrible Cotrell, he may comeback--ala Shane Dronett...

I always read Losman is a complete and total arrogant punk, who can't relate to anyone. If so, he'll stink. I was never real high on him--another athlete NFL teams have overrated, perhaps?

****Polley is good. Rams are moving Pisa T to SS, so they need all the LB's they can get so far, they've had an awful off-season and it seems Martz wants to get fired--Pisa won't hack it at SS; Coakley is too small; Clairborne is only average and kind of slow....

Here's our OLB rankings:

1. Julian Peterson San Fransisco (franschised)

2. Tommy Polley St. Louis

3. Matt Stewart Atlanta

4. Chris Claiborne Minnesota (Rams)

5. Mark Fields Carolina

6. Warrick Holdman Cleveland

7. Monty Beisel Kansas City

8. Donnie Spragan Denver

9. Keith Adams Philadelphia

10. Keith Newman Minnesota

Gotta log out soon...looking forward to the reply and talking about this in the afternoon :wink:

P.S: Here's a weird fact I found: Dolphins former WR Orande Gadsen is a team owner in Miami:

http://www.miamimoraysfootball.com/

Rigs, I was laughing at Martz yesterday as well. It just seems like he has no idea or no philosophy behind what he's doing. The Ed Jones Dome is probably the second fastest track in the NFL, so it makes sense that he'd go for speed players...and he goes and gets Chris Claiborne. The Rams are moving Pisa back to SS because they want to get bigger up front...then they over-pay Dexter Coakley. They don't re-sign Tommy Polley, who runs a 4.4, and they're supposedly ready to deal Orlando Pace for table-scraps, all the while Kyle Turley is probably done. I just can't get a handle on what they're doing out there at all.

As for Hovan, I think it's telling that there's so little noise out there about him ending up anywhere. It's Mandarich-style quiet, if you catch my drift. I'd love to believe it was just Cottrell getting a stick up his ass for a player, an that Hovan will flourish again if we gave him a deal, but it's just weird that we almost hear nada about him at all.

As for Losman, I wish I recorded it. As soon a the reporter said "Tom Brady," Losman put on this little sneer for less than a second like "as if..." I laughed.

Good stuff as always Rigs. Oh, by the way, Anthony Simmons was cut last night by the Seahawks. I know he's fast, but injury prone. I wonder if Holgren just hated him or if the Hawks were desperate for cash after retaining their all of their FA's.

Rigs, I was laughing at Martz yesterday as well. It just seems like he has no idea or no philosophy behind what he's doing. The Ed Jones Dome is probably the second fastest track in the NFL, so it makes sense that he'd go for speed players...and he goes and gets Chris Claiborne. The Rams are moving Pisa back to SS because they want to get bigger up front...then they over-pay Dexter Coakley. They don't re-sign Tommy Polley, who runs a 4.4, and they're supposedly ready to deal Orlando Pace for table-scraps, all the while Kyle Turley is probably done. I just can't get a handle on what they're doing out there at all.

As for Hovan, I think it's telling that there's so little noise out there about him ending up anywhere. It's Mandarich-style quiet, if you catch my drift. I'd love to believe it was just Cottrell getting a stick up his a$$ for a player, an that Hovan will flourish again if we gave him a deal, but it's just weird that we almost hear nada about him at all.

As for Losman, I wish I recorded it. As soon a the reporter said "Tom Brady," Losman put on this little sneer for less than a second like "as if..." I laughed.

Good stuff as always Rigs. Oh, by the way, Anthony Simmons was cut last night by the Seahawks. I know he's fast, but injury prone. I wonder if Holgren just hated him or if the Hawks were desperate for cash after retaining their all of their FA's.

TS

I read that Simmons has not played a whole season since 2001 -so to me that is the answer why they would drop him-just too undependable to count on.

They also dropped that legendary ex-Jet Damien Robinson!

faba, thanks for the info on Simmons the cuts are coming fast it seems...Looks like the Hawks will be drafting a LB...My info is they love Niko Koutivdes in the middle (that's what they say), but may swing towards an OLB that chases the QB a bit--Pollack, Blackstock, Roth, Ware????

T.S, Rams make no sense. Polley has been their best LB, so I can't see why he would leave....Coakley's a joke in this day---he's a throwback to the 1990's--a 215 pound LBer.....Their DB's will be a joke....Claiborne is merely average and had the bust tag recently...They are said to be trading for DT Jeff Zgonina (1st or 2nd in NFL in DT tackles), who should've never left the Rams...He had a huge season in 2004 in Miami, but at 35 how much does he have left?

Thing about Hovan is there are few other options and, to be honest, his worst seasons stack up with Lance LeGrees best season, so teams have hope because they are same age...but you are right, why so bad so soon after being real good?

Some non steriod speculation is he was misused by Cotrell........needs to be a 3-4 type...

We'll see.

faba, thanks for the info on Simmons the cuts are coming fast it seems...Looks like the Hawks will be drafting a LB...My info is they love Niko Koutivdes in the middle (that's what they say), but may swing towards an OLB that chases the QB a bit--Pollack, Blackstock, Roth, Ware????

T.S, Rams make no sense. Polley has been their best LB, so I can't see why he would leave....Coakley's a joke in this day---he's a throwback to the 1990's--a 215 pound LBer.....Their DB's will be a joke....Claiborne is merely average and had the bust tag recently...They are said to be trading for DT Jeff Zgonina (1st or 2nd in NFL in DT tackles), who should've never left the Rams...He had a huge season in 2004 in Miami, but at 35 how much does he have left?

Thing about Hovan is there are few other options and, to be honest, his worst seasons stack up with Lance LeGrees best season, so teams have hope because they are same age...but you are right, why so bad so soon after being real good?

Some non steriod speculation is he was misused by Cotrell........needs to be a 3-4 type...

We'll see.

Thanks faba and Rigs, as always. If we had a spot for him, I wouldn't mind getting Polley in here simply because you can't have enough speed. I think we have his position pretty locked down with Barton, though, and the strong side guys in Hobson and Brown are adequate enough to not require us spending more money.

Hovan, as a 3-4 end or NT? As an end, he's intriguing, but I wonder if he'd get pounded to death as a 3-4 nose. I'd wait a week and if he's still sitting there, offer him a Legree-esque deal. Could be teams are taking a wait-and-see on him, I'd imagine.

I'm trying to envision what Tinoisamoa and Archuleta will look like as a safety pair on that carpet. It could be a track meet out there, especially with average corners.

Archived