Boland Blogging Into The Wee Hours

SoFlaJets

Scott on the market...and many othersNo deal was reached between the Ravens and Bart Scott - or Ray Lewis for that matter - meaning Scott is free to visit other teams. That visit with the Jets could come as soon as tomorrow (or later today as it is).

UPDATE: For those of you who weren't watching ESPN just now (and I'm guessing most of you still up to read this at 12:34 a.m. probably were watching), Scott was just on for a brief interview. He said he wanted to give the Ravens the first crack at signing him, but was excited about seeing what's out there. He practically gushed when asked about Rex Ryan.

"I have a special part in my heart for those guys," Scott said, referring to Ryan and some of his defensive assistants, including coordinator Mike Pettine. "They taught me to play defense. They're just as much a part of my success as I am."

Steelers free agent offensive lineman Chris Kemoeatu is on the Jets radar. And away we go...

UPDATE PART II: As expected, the Jets re-signed Tony Richardson. Adam Schefter on nfl.com reported the contract to be a one-year deal worth $500,000.

UPDATE PART III: I am making coffee. Also, because a few of you asked about this already, the Jets are NOT one of the legion of teams that have inquired about Albert Haynesworth, a league source just told me. That's as of 12:53 a.m.

UPDATE PART IV: (ok, I'll start a new entry after this maybe). There will be some competition, as expected, for Bart Scott, who has scheduled a visit with the Rams, according to foxsports.com. Don't panic. I'm told he'll visit the Jets in due time and what's happening here is the manifestation of what was behind Scott not jumping at the offer - a good one - the Ravens made. He wants to see just how high the bidding will go. To use a well-worn phrase from the Jets coaching search, Scott and his agent are doing their, gulp, "due diligence."

UPDATE V: Since there's a lull right now, this thought: I'm a fan of both Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, but the replay of their on-air argument from yesterday just isn't doing it for me.

UPDATE VI: A sportingnews.com report I saw just now said Scott's first visit will be this morning with the Jets. The foxsports.com report mentioned above said Scott will also visit with the Rams, though it didn't specify a time. You know what they say about first impressions and the Jets apparently will be first.

This really doesn't count as an update but it's 2:54 a.m. and I'm watching Ali-Frazier, uh, um, Kiper-McShay for like the sixth time. Make it stop.

UPDATE VII: I make a pretty good cup of coffee. Just saying.

So I mentioned up top at the start of the evening/morning that Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu was on the Jets "radar" and indeed they've made an offer, a source said, confirming an earlier report. Keep in mind "offer" is a long way from "signed" and there is competition for Kemoeatu, including from the Steelers. Kemoeatu, along with the just-released Brandon Moore, are considered the top guards on the market.

Still, the 6-3 344-pound Kemoeatu might find the Jets attractive for reasons other than the big $ he's offered. It would represent a chance to play again with someone Kemoeatu considered a mentor, Alan Faneca. The two played three seasons together in Pittsburgh, with Kemoeatu replacing Faneca when he left for the Jets via free agency after the 2007 season.

"If he saw something that I wasn't doing right, he'd come and coach me on it or talk to me about it," Kemoeatu said, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, after an OTA practice last May. "He was always my motivation. He always told me I could be as good as him as long as I keep working at it and keep studying hard."

If the Jets succeed in signing Kemoeatu, maybe Moore ends up with the Steelers. That'd be an odd free agency switcheroo. Or not.

For what it is worth, Craig Carton (who is a huge Jets fan) just said that a source of his has told him that Bart Scott is already in Florham Park and will sign a contract today with the Jets.

Don't kill the messenger...

For what it is worth, Craig Carton (who is a huge Jets fan) just said that a source of his has told him that Bart Scott is already in Florham Park and will sign a contract today with the Jets.

Don't kill the messenger...

According to Basset an offer from the Jets is already in place and Scott's agent has no problem with it. Nothing is official yet, but its all in Scott's hands now. If he comes away this evening impressed enough to want to play for the Jets next season... All he has to do is sign the contract. Everything else is done.

Archived