Red Sox and Jason Bay Stop Negotiations

Morrissey

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/03/bay-red-sox-sto.html

Bay, Red Sox Stop Negotiations

By Nat Boyle [March 15 at 11:45am CST]

12:40pm: Rob Bradford of WEEI.com has Jason Bay's side of the story:

“I don’t think anybody in my situation wants to play for six years and then you earn the right to be a free agent and on some levels sell yourself short, and that doesn’t mean there doesn’t have to be some concessions... But you put yourself in this position and I think it’s in my best interest to kind of explore. Not to say we’re ever going to go that far, but I definitely want to make sure it’s the right fit.”

Bay is making no predictions about the market:

"Like I said, if something comes up that makes some sense … I mean, you get to this position you don’t want to sell it short, but I also understand it’s a different time that it was three or four years ago.”

12:30pm: Adam Kilgore of the Boston Globe has an explanation from Theo Epstein:

"The market has changed so much from two years ago to this winter, from a year ago to now... Who knows where it's going to be a year from now? So that unpredictability, I think, has created a landscape that's been difficult for us to navigate in terms of getting an extension done a year early. Both sides wanted it, so we tried. But both sides recognized that it's just too difficult to get done right now. We had some talks [earlier in the offseason], but they weren't really substantive. Recently, we've had more substantive talks. It's become clear that because of the unusual marketplace, we're not going to get anything done during spring training. We're going to sort of halt talks for now, just table them. But both sides have committed to maintaining good dialogue throughout the course of the season."

11:59am: Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports the Red Sox have halted negotiations with Jason Bay. Both sides feel an agreement is not possible at this time, after the market for power-hitting corner outfielders has experienced dramatic changes.

Speier says the two sides remain open to discussion resuming during the season. Bay will make $7.5MM during the final year of his 4 year $18.25MM contract.

Hopefully he gets to free agency and gives the Yankees and Mets for that matter more options this off season, it's obvious the Yankees will be in the market for an OFer.

Bay and his agent are probably aware of the money and the players coming off the Yankees books after 2009:

Matsui- $13 million

Damon- $13 million

Nady- $6.55 million

Risky move by the SOX as the 2010 FA class for outfielders is weak other than Bay, Vlade, Dye, Holliday, Ankiel.

Crawford and Maggs have either player or club options with buyouts. I don't think there is any way the Tigers pickup Magg's at 15 mill.

Sox likely figure if push comes to shove they overpay for one of the above while Bay figures the Yanks will do the same for him if they don't get their number 1 target (Likely Holliday).

This years trade deadline will be interesting to see what a team who falls out of it does if they have a Holliday, Vlade or Bay. Any contender that is dealing with a injury to a outfileder or DH come June/July should have some bats available to them but will have to decide if giving up prospects for a possible rental is worth it.

Risky move by the SOX as the 2010 FA class for outfielders is weak other than Bay, Vlade, Dye, Holliday, Ankiel.

Crawford and Maggs have either player or club options with buyouts. I don't think there is any way the Tigers pickup Magg's at 15 mill.

Sox likely figure if push comes to shove they overpay for one of the above while Bay figures the Yanks will do the same for him if they don't get their number 1 target (Likely Holliday).

This years trade deadline will be interesting to see what a team who falls out of it does if they have a Holliday, Vlade or Bay. Any contender that is dealing with a injury to a outfileder or DH come June/July should have some bats available to them but will have to decide if giving up prospects for a possible rental is worth it.

I am curious to see what the numbers they are tossing around.

My guess is the sticking point is not so much money, but years. The Sox have been reluctant to go over 3 or 4 years with 30 yo ball players.

I am curious to see what the numbers they are tossing around.

My guess is the sticking point is not so much money, but years. The Sox have been reluctant to go over 3 or 4 years with 30 yo ball players.

I just hope they get a deal with Bay done before he becomes a FA. I love it when Yankee fans already start talking about buying him for 2010.

as the 2010 FA class for outfielders is weak other than Bay, Vlade, Dye, Holliday, Ankiel.

Did you seriously just say that? That's like saying that the Yankees lineup is weak without A-Rod, Teixeira, Posada, Jeter, and Cano. That's a pretty significant OF class right there.

Ordonez has a vesting option, essentially as long as he stays healthy he's getting that option.

I'm taking a guess here, but the Sox are likely hoping to use the recession to their advantage. In a market where Burrell got 2/16, Dunn got 2/20, and Abreu got 1/5, the Sox probably don't want to be giving out 15 million a year to Jason Bay, but that's what Bay expects to get paid (And understandably so).

I just hope they get a deal with Bay done before he becomes a FA. I love it when Yankee fans already start talking about buying him for 2010.

Either us or you right?

We have high priced outfielders coming off the payroll (Damon, Matsui, Nady), with no in house replacements, not named Austin Jackson, so why wouldn't we be already thinking about this.

Matt Holliday or Jason Bay- Either of them would fit nicely in LF.

Brett Gardner- If he proves to be a main stay in CF and a jolt in the lineup, he could be our replacement for Damon in the lead off spot.

Austin Jackson- If he has a big year AAA this year, he might force Gardner out of CF. Jackson is a better defensive CFer and is more of a long time option in CF. He doesn't project to have much power, so neither he or Gardner translate well to LF or RF, so unless the Yankees decide to move to a more athletic OF than the more traditional outfield one of Jackson and Gardner will have to be moved.

Nick Swisher- Fits well in RF. Hopefully he rebounds from a poor 2008 and makes it easier for the Yankees to let Nady walk.

Did you seriously just say that? That's like saying that the Yankees lineup is weak without A-Rod, Teixeira, Posada, Jeter, and Cano. That's a pretty significant OF class right there.

Ordonez has a vesting option, essentially as long as he stays healthy he's getting that option.

I'm taking a guess here, but the Sox are likely hoping to use the recession to their advantage. In a market where Burrell got 2/16, Dunn got 2/20, and Abreu got 1/5, the Sox probably don't want to be giving out 15 million a year to Jason Bay, but that's what Bay expects to get paid (And understandably so).

Well there's the entire league bidding on them and Vlade probably isn't going anywhere. Dye will be also be 37. I'd rather wrap up a younger and healthier Bay.

Archived