"What is POTW?" Summer Kickoff Edition of Post of the Week - May 24, 2009

POTW Bot

Topic: Not saying that Sanchez will = Peyton but

I heard Rexy had a tat of Sanchez' face put on his butt. :rolleyes:

That it took two days for a Peyton comparison can only be signs of progress in Jet Nation.

Usually, it takes an hour for such a grand comparison of a player that has not played a down. :rolleyes:

The Nomination: "Brilliant, if scathing." T0mShane

Editor's Note: BOO.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topic: Is TJ a big time receiver yet?

Why can't you guys stop hijacking the ****ing thread? Can we please return to the discussion the OP requested? I hate it when threads deteriorate like this.

The Nomination: "Back on topic in a lancemehl thread? Priceless!!!! :rl:" Klecko73isGod

Editor's Note: In Lance's threads I pray they go off topic. Less people get hurt that way.

Topic: Former Bills QB and Senator Jack Kemp dies

A very sad day in the SJ household...

RIP Mr. Kemp

As some of you know, I am originally from Buffalo (Hamburg NY), and for short period of time in early 60's acted as a unofficial ball boy for Buffalo Bills. We were neighbors of the first 2 coaches, Buster Ramsey and Lou Saban.

The players mostly lived in Hamburg back then due to the practice site.

I got to see all the players in the homes of Ramsey and Saban.

BUT, it was Jack Kemp, who lives most in my memories as he and his family also were members in our church.

This was the protypical all-around family. Mr. Kemp would give talks and hang out with kids every off-season week in youth group. Every Sunday you would see his family's modest station wagon pull up to the local drug store in town where all the other kids woyuld have thier parents take them. Yo usee , on Sundays they ran a 4 for 15 special on candy bars,,thats right, 4 bars for 15 cents as opposed to usual 20 cents.

There was never a time Mr. Kemp wouldnt say Hi, wouldnt stop and toss the ball if you had one, or wouldnt be seen with his large brood of 2 sons, and 2 daughters.

Class and values. He always displayed them. I will always have a fond place in my heart and mind for the #15.

RIP Mr. Kemp.

The Nomination: "Nice story." Sperm Edwards

Editor's Note: Thanks for sharing SJ. Good read.

Topic: Brady Returns

You've got to be kidding me, right?

77wt2xBOuCM&hl

:rl:

The Nomination: "All Patriots...all the time." PFSIKH

Editor's Note: Ask that homo quarterback, if he really is a god walking the earth, to stop making the Red Sea part (or is Gizelle a natural red head, um, never mind..) and start working on the fricken' US economy.

Topic: Top Five Jets Issues Heading Into Camp

1. When does Sanchez Start?

This is going to be the most compelling story of this season's team, and the one that will draw the most national interest. With the success of Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco last year, the pressure to start Sanchez will be intense, and immediate. But will starting Sanchez right away make the most sense for him, and the team?

As talented as Sanchez may be, he would have to be an absolute prodigy to be able to make a successful early transition to the pro game after starting only 16 games at USC. This is where Kellen Clemens can earn some of the money he's made after being a second round pick three years ago--by getting the team off on the right foot and showing some of that "moxie" he was supposed to have coming out of Oregon.

The Jets begin the season in Houston, come home for New England and Tennessee, and then go back on the road for New Orleans. This is a tough stretch for a veteran QB, much less an inexperienced rookie who hasn't had to face much adversity in his playing career. If Sanchez starts to open the season and the Jets open up 0-4, will Sanchez's legendary confidence recover, or could he unravel a la David Carr? Risky proposition, imo.

What the Jets should do: Let Clemens start, hope you go 2-2, then let Sanchez take over on Monday Night, at Miami. It's a win-win: Woody Johnson gets his marquee Golden Boy on national TV, and Sanchez gets a month to learn the pro game.

2. Can Rex Walk It Like He Talks It?

As Jets fans learned with Eric Mangini, you just don't know what you're going to get when you hire the "hot assistant" as your Head Coach. What we know about Rex Ryan is that he has already used his fair share of hyperbolic, over-the-top statements ("Brad Smith is one of the scariest athletes in the league," "Swaggerlicious"). But is there substance behind the, um, swaggerliciousness? There are a few red-flags that should scare Jets fans:

~~Ryan gets plenty of credit for coaching a Ravens' defense that was already good for the better part of a decade when he took it over. How much impact did he have? Was he just a caretaker?

~~Ryan succeeded Mike Nolan, who succeeded Marvin Lewis, who both succeeded at nothing as Head Coaches.

~~How will Ryan's maverick-outlaw image transition from being the "Cool Badass Uncle" anti-establishment defensive coordinator to being the Head Man?

Personally, I think Ryan's success will come down to how well he delegates to his assistants, and how ready those assistants are to stepping up and performing. There was alot of talk last year that Mangini was throttling Brian Schottenheimer's offense and not allowing him the freedom to call the plays he wanted. Will Rex give Schott the freedom to roam? And, if he does, is Schott's offense the efficient, creative machine that blew out the Cardinals and the Titans? Or is it the dopey, gimmick offense that included not giving the ball to Leon Washington and instead running the option with Brad Smith?

On defense, will Ryan also give Mike Pettine the room to run the show, or will he be the de-facto DC while the rest of the team is running itself? Ryan is ultimately going to have to be the Head Coach and exert his influence on the entire team. He can't just lock himself in the defensive meeting room (a la Mangini) and hope everything is running OK on the offensive side of the ball. He can ask Mike Nolan and Marvin Lewis how well that works.

3. The Gholston Factor:

All things considered, Gholston might be the key to any success the Jets have this season. In order for the Jets to be competitive, their defense is going to have to compensate for what figures to be a less-than-stellar offense, and if their defense is going to be good, then Vernon Gholston is going to have to sack the opposing quarterback many times. Other than Bart Scott and, hopefully, Gholston, the Jets do not have the personnel to get to the quarterback without running loads of blitzes. Shaun Ellis used to rush the passer, and Bryan Thomas only plays hard when he's in a contract year. The question is, can Rex Ryan motivate Gholston, along with coaching him up enough, to make him an effective OLB? Ryan gets the credit for developing Terrell Suggs, and rightly so. But, can he get through to a player who looked, at best, lost last season and, at worst, disinterested? Time will tell, but if Gholston can manage to get 12-15 sacks this year, it could be the difference between the Jets going 10-6 or 6-10.

4. Who's Catching It?

Outside of Jerricho Cotchery, the Jets don't have an established receiver on their team and are instead going to hope and pray that a star emerges out of a pack that includes Brad Smith, David Clowney, Marcus Henry and Chansi Stuckey. What sucks is that if you meshed those four guys together, you'd have one great receiver (Stuckey's ability to get open + Clowney's speed + Henry's physicality + Brad Smith's play-making). But, as is, those guys independently scare no one. Brad Smith has shown no ability to get himself open, Stuckey can't stay healthy, Henry is slow, and Clowney, for whatever reason, has never been given a full-time chance to play either here or in Green Bay. Clowney probably shows the most promise, but has a long way to go to be considered a legit, consistent threat.

The X-factor here is Dustin Keller, who could be a huge factor as the second receiving option after Cotchery. Of course, in order to use Keller in the passing game, the Jets are going to have to come up with another base tight end to free Keller from the responsibilities of blocking in the run game. Is that guy on the roster? If not, and Keller has to stay in and block as a traditional TE, the Jets passing offense might be the weakest in the league, regardless of who is behind center.

5. How Deep Is The Depth?

The Jets are perilously thin at almost every position on the team, and they have some high-mileage guys on the roster that are prime candidates for wearing down or making their way to the I.R. They have one TE, no experienced back-ups along the offensive line, nothing at DE and NT, and are extremely limited at LB, WR, and both safety spots. In sum, if the Jets have an injury at any of these positions, they're going to find themselves playing guys who are, at best, fringe NFL players. If Kris Jenkins wears down again, who plays? Sione Pouha? Howard Green? If Alan Faneca sprains an ankle, is Robert Turner the answer at guard? Probably not. Hopefully, Mike Tannenbaum will be extremely active picking up veteran players who become training camp roster casuaties from other teams. Otherwise, what could be a promising season in Jetland can go down in flames with a few twisted knees.

The Nomination: "good post" CTM

Editor's Note: Nice T0m, nice - football in May, a rare thing...

Topic: Where Are My Fellow Trekkies? Who is going this weekend?

That character actually came from Jets Message Board Wars: JetsInsider Strikes Back He was this big furry dude who worked for JetsInsider (The Empire) but saw the error in his ways and turned his back on them to help JetNation (The Rebel Alliance).

The Nomination: "POTW NOM!!!" Max

Editor's Note: 4bSefSLaPFs

Topic: Goodbye Jenn Sterger

Hi! Billy Mays here for Woody Johnson. The owner of the New York Jets.

Woody would motor boat that not once, not twice, but three times. Wow!

You won't pay $20,000 in PSLs, you won't even pay $10,000 in PSLs!

Three motorboats from Woody Johnson can be yours for just $19.99. Just pay additional shipping and handling and Woody will come to your home and play with your funbags.

But I'm not done yet. Call now, and I'll double the offer! I'll even motor boat your chocolate love sack once! All for the same low price of $19.99.

Order Now!

The Nomination: "Lol" Pragmatic Bus

Editor's Note: Woody could not handle DLJ, she'd kill that little rich dude with the creapy little head...

Topic: Should Leon be paid? Vote!

Incorrect. Mangold was a rookie in 2006 and signed a 5-year contract. He is signed through the end of the 2010 season.

What makes anyone think his demands are only $6M? It has been pointed out that Jones-Drew got $8M/yr on his extension and Sproles will make $6.6M this year. Clearly he feels he's worth more than Sproles, so I would imagine he's looking for closer to $7M than $6M.

And paying Leon $7M or not paying Leon $7M has nothing to do with whether he is worthy of getting paid Woody's money. No one signs a part-time back long-term for $7M per year.

Sproles is no comparison to me personally. He makes $6.6M for this one year and SD only tagged him due to LT's health questions following the '08 season. If it was known that LT was healthy I'm sure they would have traded him or let him go and drafted a cheaper backup.

In the Jets' case, they traded up for Greene. He is healthy and young. One does not need to pair him up with a $7M per year RB.

Leon's worth as a KR, great as he's done, is made that much more valuable due to Westhoff. When was the last time the Jets had a bad return unit -- like 5+ years before Leon was drafted? They acquired Leonhard and still have the Woodhead kid and others capable or fast enough to through an open seam the KR unit opens up. Justin Miller was a pro bowl returner the year before we drafted Leon, leading the NFL in ypr and was #3 in the NFL in ypr the year before. Jericho Cotchery averaged 28 ypr under Westhoff as a rookie and he doesn't nearly have Leon's moves or speed. The year before that, Michael Bates and Jonathan Carter averaged 28 ypr between them. The point is that our KO return game is not well above average simply because of Leon Washington, dynamic player that he truly is.

So then his true "net" worth to this team is as a RB. Is he worth $7M per year (likely on a 4 year extension) as a RB? If he's going to get 15+ touches ON OFFENSE then maybe he is (or at least a case could be made). If he's getting fewer than 10 then he certainly is not.

My answer is that it depends. It depends on how many carries & receptions out of the backfield he's going to get. It depends on how much is guaranteed. And it depends how much a $7 year/$26-28M contract is in the final year (when he is 31 and could just get cut for cap savings if so desired).

If there was no cap then what the hell, it isn't my money.

And think of situations like this the next time we pick #6 and draft an "impact player" like Gholston instead of trading down. Because if we don't re-sign Leon, that's where his money went. So I hope Ryan can do something with him.

But my short answer is he is absolutely not worth $7M per year to the Jets. The true ceiling of an acceptable number would max out at $4-5M with incentives for more if he's used more (which he likely won't agree to anyway) like in case Greene/TJ get injured or if TJ is moved and Greene gets injured.

Tough for me to say since I really LOVE having Leon on the team, but numbers are numbers. JonE's solution is probably in the team's best interest cap-wise. Let him play out this year and then give him the high RFA tender next year (currently about $2.6M, which would net us a #1 and a #3 if someone signs him away from us).

The Nomination: "That is what they call a POTW winner." Max

Editor's Note: Well not a winner but close. That damn swine flu gets you every time.

Topic: Leeds United ha ha ha!

I'm not pissed at them, I'm delighted for them. Another year stuck in the third tier of English football. Another year for their vermin fanbase to go round picking fights with fans of teams like Hartlepool, Wycombe and Colchester (and hopefully Millwall if they don't win the playoff final), and losing to non-league teams like Histon. Another season for them to whinge how it's not fair that teams like Wigan should be in the Premier League while they're two divisions lower.

Okay, I hate them all, their f**king s**tty team, and their f**king scum fans. And rejoice in their misery. :mrgreen:

And you haven't been following Parma? How come? They're pretty much guaranteed promotion back to Serie A and still have a good chance of the title.

The Nomination: "I aspire to such virtuosic vitriol. Brilliant posting, Panzer." Borgoguy

Editor's Note: Um, okay.

Topic: best season by a Jets QB?

We have been down this "comparing INT stats prior to 1978" road before so I wont start in on that. I think there is a distinction between best individual statistaical season and best season. From a shear stat standpoint, Id say...

1. Vinny 1998- Brilliant season...nuff said

2. O'Brien 1985- 3900 yards, 60+ %, 8 ints, big plays all year. Amazing year considering he got sacked 62 times.

3. Chad 2002- Similar to OB in 85. Very efficient.

4. Namath 1967- With NO running game for half a year, 4000+ yards.

5. Namath 1968- TD/Int ratio is decpetive considering 10 ints were in 2 early season games.

6. Todd 1982- 14 tds in half a season and AFC title game

7. Todd 1981- Soid overall yearin yards, low ints and clutch wins

8. Namath 1972- Two 400 yard games when they were unheard of, lead AFC in yards and TDs.

9. O'Brien 1986- If not for the last 5 games collapse, this year was headed towards #1 or 2 on this list.

10. Namat 1974- His last really good year lead to 6 game win streak to end the year.

BUT...if you are aksing what was he single BEST season for a Jet QB, then it is Namath 1968. Why????

1. He called his own plays and sacrificed his own stats to establish the running game more for most of the year.

2. As mentioned, 10 of his 17 picks were in two early season games. Aside from those two, h played brilliantly despite the lack of TDs.

3. He was named league MVP...appaarntly other people also felt he had a pretty good year.

4. He won the SB and won the MVP there also...NOT because of his stats but because of his brilant play calling and game management.

So if this is Fantasy Footbal, then no, namaths 68 season is not the best. But when yu look beyond the obviuous stats (or even saw any of those games from 1968) you have to say Namath 1968...and not JUST BECAUSE the team won the SB.

PS- That 1968 team was NOT the most talented team the Jets have ever had...not even close. The teams fro thr early to mid 80s had much more talent. namath was a differecne maker because teams had to gameplan to stop HIM. The jets have not had a QB since who could d that.

The Nomination: "nice post" nyjunc

Editor's Note: That was a great post.

Topic: NObama: Steelers' Harrison Says He'll Skip White House Visit

Maybe he doesn't understand that going to the White House is supposed to be a reward for winning. Is he going to turn down the pro bowl because they wouldn't have had him if he had played cruddy?

The Nomination: "POTW NOM!" Max

Editor's Note: Harrison is afraid to fly but has no problem cuddling with a pit bull every night. James Irony is on line two for you.

Topic: Burress No Choice?

I was thinking..lets just say Plaxico avoids jail but gets probation.. he wouldnt be able to leave newyork...thats part of probation..so how could he sign with a team outside of the 5 boroughs?

The Nomination: "classic case of posting before the coffee kicks in-don't feel ashamed FT-we've all done it..." SoFlaJets

Editor's Note: It happens man it happens. Just shake it off and come back stronger.

Topic: I just got a ticket

Joe we know that you blew a zero that weekend. But his real name was Mike and he would appreciate it if you didn't refer to him as a loser.

He has feelings you know.

The Nomination: "This response falls into the gold standard category of comebacks, which--I assume--is what happens after you "blow a zero". Beautifully done, Max." Borgoguy

Editor's Note: Hey Borgo....this is Max...you are right my post totally deserved to win. But I am doing POTW and don't feel right picking myself. Just doesn't seem fair. If you want to start a protest over me losing, I will support you though. Thanks in advance.

Topic: The legend of my small penis continues

Your making the assumption that she chose him from a list of many? How large of a selection pool would she have to convince a guy the kid is his when he hasn't banged her. "Look DWC he has eyes just like you"...Two of them. "oh my God, my son".

The Nomination: "Great Line!" Lil Bit Special

Editor's Note: I saw DWC and penis and stopped reading.

Archived