The War is Won in the Trenches

JetsFan34

http://mvn.com/the****pit/2009/06/the-war-is-won-in-the-trenches.html

June 29, 2009

The War is Won in the Trenches

By Ronnie Shumake

There is much to be excited about this year with the New York Jets. There is a new head coach, key new additions via free agency and a top five pick quarterback from this year's draft. The thing that may be a bit under the radar to the casual eye, is that the offensive line is returning intact. This unit has a full year together under their belt and that is both rare and vital to success in the running game and pass protection.

Football teams take on identities similar to that of the head coach. From Lombardi to Parcells, Walsh to Manigini. Teams play with the same energy level on the field as the coach's persona and demeanor. I mentioned Mangini because when you look at the overall body of work his teams produced here, they were as middle of the road and non-emotional as he was. Aside from the around 500 record overall in his stint, you can just look at the way the team performed on the West Coast and also down the stretch last year. The whole time he was making bland statements about approach and execution, the team played just as flat as his press conferences. Can you imagine what we would have heard from Ryan in the midst of such a collapse. I can guarantee that the team would react differently, if they were to end up in such a scenario, which is highly unlikely.

I mention all of this because this year, the team will rely heavily on the running game. If you doubt that for any reason, look at the drafting of Shonn Greene for proof. When you look at the culture that Ryan is creating in the locker room, you can't help but think that this year, the offensive line will step up to be one of if not the best in the league. They are experienced, highly talented, extremely well coached and more familiar with each other's tendencies. When coupled with the aggressive mentality that Ryan brings, I see the potential for a nasty unit that can dominate.

Damien Woody, Alan Faneca, Nick Mangold, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Brandon Moore are all pretty darn big. When you factor in that the league as a whole is getting 3-4 happy, resulting in one less big tackle on the opposing defensive lines, I can easily see a season that produces two 1000 yard runners. These guys are not only big, but extremely athletic as well. You start talking about Mangold or Faneca down-field on a linebacker and it creates serious problems for the opposing defenses.

This is becoming somewhat of a hot topic with football minds around the country right now. There is actually a great in depth article by KC Jones earlier this month comparing the Jets and the Giants offensive lines in a highly statistical manner right here http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/who-has-the-best-o-line-giants-or-jets/ This shows that I am not alone in my thinking about the potential for this year. Many analysts around the league are actually expecting big things from this unit.

Even with the emphasis on the run, the pass protection will also be a huge factor in this team's success. No matter which QB we go with, neither is a proven Dan Marino back there. Teams will be bringing the heat in passing downs. The "blind-spot" protection for the QB will be a determining factor in games. Teams will not only bring the heat, but likely be ball hungry and swiping a lot when putting the pressure on. I expect to see a huge step up in D'Brckashaw's game this year as from the comments I have heard from him thus far, he seems to have something to prove.

There is no debating the fact that with all of the high-powered offense, if the QB has no time, the throw can't be made. The game was and still is, won in the trenches.

Great article. I have always lived by the rule you win and lose game at the LOS. Thats why I am partial to building inside out.

When you have strong lines, the rest seems to fall into place.

Agreed. After the Kendall debacle, Mangini learned first-hand that a bad line=a crushed QB and no running game and no time of possession and the defense being overworked and the recievers not having time to finish routes and...

So he drafted D-Bricka and Mangold and aquired D. Woody. Best thing he ever did for this team. Thanks Mr. Mangini. P.S. Yu suck.

Agreed. After the Kendall debacle, Mangini learned first-hand that a bad line=a crushed QB and no running game and no time of possession and the defense being overworked and the recievers not having time to finish routes and...

So he drafted D-Bricka and Mangold and aquired D. Woody. Best thing he ever did for this team. Thanks Mr. Mangini. P.S. Yu suck.

They were drafted before the Kendall situation, the season before.

The Jets have the best line in the league IMO. From re-watching all of the games it really was ridiculously good and I can't believe we didn't make the most of it. I've been preaching it all through the off-season, when the offensive line is this good, everything becomes so much easier offensively.

Right, it was 2006 I believe. Kendall was traded to the skins 2007. So, Mangini did actually have a plan, I suppose, just foolishly pissed away a season to flex his coaching muscle.

Yes, but you werent totally off. After the Kendall debacle we went and signed Faneca and Woody...veterans to lead our young guys and it paid off.

Agree IJ, if the line is strong, everything else false into place and that can really be said about both sides of the ball.

Agree IJ, if the line is strong, everything else false into place and that can really be said about both sides of the ball.

If the line is strong it will help things fall into place but you still need your playmakers, more importantly your Quarterback, to play well. A good Offensive Line certainly helps the situation, but that doesn't ensure that Sanchez will play well this season.

He could be Kyle Boller, he could be Joe Flacco. He could be Tom Brady, he could be Cade McCown.

We won't know until September.

Archived