Revis: "I want to be a Jet Forever"

flgreen

Revis does not own a product that suffers under a salary cap that may be 10-20% lower and become unmanageable when a single cornerback - no matter how great he is - takes up $16M per season of the cap.

And Revis didn't say it was stupid. He said it was insulting and a slap in the face. How much money Woody Johnson has is just a silly comment. He owns the team because he bought it. If there are revenue problems or cost overruns I doubt Revis is going to offer to pitch in (nor should he). The Jets make offers to players based on their best guess as to what will fit under a new salary cap, not based on whether Woody Johnson needs or doesn't need another $5M per year for the next half-decade.

There is a going rate for the best player at his position. Revis feels that the Aso contract has set that bar north of $16M. The Jets believe that bar was artificially set by an owner-GM who doesn't seem to care if his team ever wins more than 5 games in a season. What if Davis gave Aso $20M per year when the 2nd-highest corner makes $10M -- would the Jets still have to offer Revis $20.1M to avoid "insulting" him? How about if Davis offered him $25M per year?

Personally, I thought they'd settle in the $12-13M per season range, which is at or just north of what Demarcus Ware and Jared Allen got. If Revis is taking a hard-line stance on what Al Davis had to offer, to keep someone from leaving the franchise no top players want to sign with, then that's out the window.

As badly as I want Revis on the team for his whole career, if his hard-line stance is unchanged, then the Jets are better off as a team with two firsts and $16M per year of cap room on a $100-110M cap. If he's as valuable as everyone claims surely one NFL team would offer that up.

100% Agreed. There's a reason the Raiders have been the worst team in the NFL over the past decade. We don't need to start acting like them for any player's ego.

Revis has almost unbelievably gone from near-Namath status to near-Kendall status in about one month. Truly boggles my mind that the guy with 3 years left on his deal is making more of a stink by far than the three guys in their last year. If he doesn't come off his inane stance about topping Aso, he's going to have to sulk on the bench for 1-2 years before finally being shipped off to the very same team so he can go 5-11 for the rest of his career. Hey Darelle, are you *sure* that's what you want?

You dont find his "feed my family" comment insulting? Revis is a f-cking millionaire bitching about not being able to "feed his family" with a million dollars.

If your going to quote someone shouldn't you have the wording more accurate?

Unless he said it somewhere else the only quote I remember was that he was fighting for his family which has a much different context.

... who happens to be one of the best 10 players in the league. :rolleyes:

The Jets w/ Rex have full freedom of the press... what surprises me is that fans are now shocked that the players are leveraging that freedom to their financial benefit.

No worries. Once HBO Hard Knocks starts and is getting good ratings, this will be resolved. The reason these Revis situation soundbytes are being pumped out daily to every possible national media outlet is to promote the dramatic and contentious storyline... its all about the TV contracts.

This. All of this.

Archived