Revis: "I want to be a Jet Forever"

flgreen

Have you read most of his quotes since this started? This is basically the tone of everything he has said. The media and headline reading fans is who is responsible for blowing this whole thing out of proportion.

One of the responsibilities of his job as a professional football player is to answer questions from the media. At no point has Revis sought out a reporter looking to unload. When its time for him to fulfill his responsibility of talking to reporters, he answers their questions, plain and simple.

Thank you Klecko.

Have you read most of his quotes since this started? This is basically the tone of everything he has said. The media and headline reading fans is who is responsible for blowing this whole thing out of proportion.

One of the responsibilities of his job as a professional football player is to answer questions from the media. At no point has Revis sought out a reporter looking to unload. When its time for him to fulfill his responsibility of talking to reporters, he answers their questions, plain and simple.

Please. He's the black Madoff.

give revis and mangold each contracts for 7 million/yr and then put and addional 10 million bucks in a bag in the middle of a room and let them fight over it. do this for season opener of "Hard Knocks."

I'm sympathetic with him in general, but that comment about needing to put food on the table for his family is wrong, insulting and just plain unacceptable.

Yeah, Darelle, I'm sure your family is going hungry... you've got to be $*$&*% kidding me. Unless his family is the entire city of Pittsburgh he better know when to shut the hell up. Great way to alienate every fan that is a working man or woman, and knows what it is REALLY like to live paycheck to paycheck. I could live comfortably off $10m for like 30+ years.

I could live comfortably off $10m for like 30+ years.

actually, if you're not MC hammer you could live the rest of your life and then some on $10m. at a modest 5% return that's half a mill a year without even touching the principle.

actually, if you're not MC hammer you could live the rest of your life and then some on $10m. at a modest 5% return that's half a mill a year without even touching the principle.

I bet you're right. I told my girlfriend once that if I ever won that kind of money, I would insta-retire. She insisted that with inflation it wouldn't be enough. I'm pretty sure it would.

I bet you're right. I told my girlfriend once that if I ever won that kind of money, I would insta-retire. She insisted that with inflation it wouldn't be enough. I'm pretty sure it would.

it would be plenty because for the first 10 years you could pretty easily live on $100,000 adding $4 million to the principle not including acrrued interest.

My biggest problem with Revis and his contract demand and latest "statements" is his relations to Sean Gilbert...

I know he's all-world football player but the it doesn't execuse the boorish behavior. The facts (three years into a six year deal (IIRC)) have been posted across this board for many days and its obvious Mr. Revis could care less about the current financial situation of the economy as a whole and more specifically the fans with whose $ fund his the salary. If the guys really wanted to get his next contract he should use his leverage to push the NFLPA and the owners to resolve the labor agreement.

Apologize if this was posted before but it came up when I googled "Revis and Gilbert". I couldn't recall the relationship.

So with Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis pushing for a new contract to the point where he's faking an illness at practice and then admitting that he's faking it, league insiders wonder whether Revis has received advice on handling his business from his mother's brother.

Sean Gilbert.

As in former NFL defensive tackle Sean Gilbert.

As in "guy who sat out an entire season in a contract dispute" Sean Gilbert.

As a rookie, USA Today asked Revis to identify his role model. "My uncle, Sean Gilbert," Revis said. "Every step I took, from high school to college to the pros, he taught me what I needed to do. I'm just blessed to have an uncle go through what I'm going through."

Nearly three years later, those words have even more relevance. Gilbert went through exactly what Revis is going through, and Gilbert had a unique way of negotiating.

Gilbert claimed that he received a "revelation from God" as to the magnitude of Gilbert's demands. Specifically, Gilbert claimed that God appeared to him in a dream, showed Gilbert a check for $5 million, and told Gilbert that he shouldn't take a penny less in 1997.

So when will Revis claim that he has received a similar revelation that he shouldn't receive a penny less than the annual money paid to cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha by the Raiders?

Gilbert eventually missed all of the 1997 season, and the Redskins eventually traded him to the Panthers for two first-round draft picks.

Then again, if Gilbert has been sharing advice with his nephew, his nephew apparently isn't heeding it. In 2009, Gilbert offered up some words of wisdom for former Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers.

"The best thing he could have done is say nothing,'' Gilbert said of Peppers, per Darin Gantt of the Rock Hill Herald. "You have an agent, you have people you hire to do your talking, so let them do it, let him say what needs to be said. If he goes that route, Julius could rebuild his relationships with the fans, could get the endorsements back. . . .

"I'd just tell him 'Don't say nothing.' Let your agent talk to [G.M.] Marty [Hurney], and let Marty talk to the other teams you might like to play for. Keep it in those circles."

Revis, in contrast, has said plenty. And by all indications he'll keep talking.

It could be only a matter of time before he plays the "revelation from God" card.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/14/sean-gilberts-connection-to-darrelle-revis-could-make-things-even-more-interesting/

My biggest problem with Revis and his contract demand and latest "statements" is his relations to Sean Gilbert...

I know he's all-world football player but the it doesn't execuse the boorish behavior. The facts (three years into a six year deal (IIRC)) have been posted across this board for many days and its obvious Mr. Revis could care less about the current financial situation of the economy as a whole and more specifically the fans with whose $ fund his the salary. If the guys really wanted to get his next contract he should use his leverage to push the NFLPA and the owners to resolve the labor agreement.

Apologize if this was posted before but it came up when I googled "Revis and Gilbert". I couldn't recall the relationship.

What "boorish behavior?" Darrelle Revis has never been anything but a class act.

The economy Darrelle Revis' problem, fault or responsibility. The Jets came to him looking to open up negotiations and sign him to a long term deal, most likely because they wanted to take advantage of the uncapped year. Revis is just asking to be paid his value based on what the market has set that value at.

If you worked for a company and they hired someone to do the same job as you in a different branch and you found out that person was getting paid 20% more than you despite your performance being better, wouldn't you go to your boss and ask for a raise? I know I would.

What "boorish behavior?" Darrelle Revis has never been anything but a class act.

The economy Darrelle Revis' problem, fault or responsibility. The Jets came to him looking to open up negotiations and sign him to a long term deal, most likely because they wanted to take advantage of the uncapped year. Revis is just asking to be paid his value based on what the market has set that value at.

If you worked for a company and they hired someone to do the same job as you in a different branch and you found out that person was getting paid 20% more than you despite your performance being better, wouldn't you go to your boss and ask for a raise? I know I would.

I agree to a point Kleck, but if you had a contract with your employer, you may be SOL.

Some of Revis' comments were totally uncalled for, he should have never came out with that I can play or not bit.

If you show up play, if you're hurt don't. If you want to hold out, hold out, but he should not have pulled that crap that he did yesterday.

I agree to a point Kleck, but if you had a contract with your employer, you may be SOL.

Some of Revis' comments were totally uncalled for, he should have never came out with that I can play or not bit.

If you show up play, if you're hurt don't. If you want to hold out, hold out, but he should not have pulled that crap that he did yesterday.

And if your employer comes to you and tells you they want to negotiate a new contract and then drags their feet?

And if your employer comes to you and tells you they want to negotiate a new contract and then drags their feet?
But did they drag their feet? They made him several offers, just not to his liking. I'm not sure how you can classify that as "dragging feet."

If it goes on long enough, you quit and get another job. You know, like Revis is prohibited from doing in the NFL for at least three years.

Faking hurt and then bragging about it is boorish. At best.

What he said...

The health of the economy is not his fault but his lack of awareness for what is possible contractually with the ongoing labor issues is uneducated. Instead of applying a little understanding he plays childish games to call attention to his plight insults this fan (and I consider myself a huge Darrelle Revis fan).

The JETS have not hired another player to do the same job at 20% more pay. They tried to take a proactive position to re-do a contract he has outperformed. Big difference. He'll get paid eventually but at the current labor climate his next huge payday may have to wait. IMO...he's should know that and he should not resort to foolish games that only cheapens his reputation.

I'm sympathetic with him in general, but that comment about needing to put food on the table for his family is wrong, insulting and just plain unacceptable.

Yeah, Darelle, I'm sure your family is going hungry... you've got to be $*$&*% kidding me. Unless his family is the entire city of Pittsburgh he better know when to shut the hell up. Great way to alienate every fan that is a working man or woman, and knows what it is REALLY like to live paycheck to paycheck. I could live comfortably off $10m for like 30+ years.

Well if it was Cromartie complaining about needing a few million more to keep feeding his family, he might have a point.

Shades of Latrell Sprewell saying he can't "feed his family with a measly 20 million"

If Revis didnt want it to get out of hand, he wouldnt use the media as leverage to get the JETS to anti up. He also wouldnt half ass it in mini camp to make a point. Either show up and put in work, or stay the f-ck home and bitch from there. He's just another egotistical superstar who cares about himself and getting a mega payday & not about the team concept like he preaches.

Shades of Latrell Sprewell saying he can't "feed his family with a measly 20 million"

If Revis didnt want it to get out of hand, he wouldnt use the media as leverage to get the JETS to anti up. He also wouldnt half ass it in mini camp to make a point. Either show up and put in work, or stay the f-ck home and bitch from there. He's just another egotistical superstar who cares about himself and getting a mega payday.

... who happens to be one of the best 10 players in the league. :rolleyes:

The Jets w/ Rex have full freedom of the press... what surprises me is that fans are now shocked that the players are leveraging that freedom to their financial benefit.

No worries. Once HBO Hard Knocks starts and is getting good ratings, this will be resolved. The reason these Revis situation soundbytes are being pumped out daily to every possible national media outlet is to promote the dramatic and contentious storyline... its all about the TV contracts.

... who happens to be one of the best 10 players in the league. :rolleyes:

The Jets w/ Rex have full freedom of the press... what surprises me is that fans are now shocked that the players are leveraging that freedom to their financial benefit.

No worries. Once HBO Hard Knocks starts and is getting good ratings, this will be resolved. The reason these Revis situation soundbytes are being pumped out daily to every possible national media outlet is to promote the dramatic and contentious storyline... its all about the TV contracts.

You dont find his "feed my family" comment insulting? Revis is a f-cking millionaire bitching about not being able to "feed his family" with a million dollars.

It wasnt "insulting" it was stupid. And Woody is a f**king billionaire not wanting to ante-up. Goes both ways honey.

Revis does not own a product that suffers under a salary cap that may be 10-20% lower and become unmanageable when a single cornerback - no matter how great he is - takes up $16M per season of the cap.

And Revis didn't say it was stupid. He said it was insulting and a slap in the face. How much money Woody Johnson has is just a silly comment. He owns the team because he bought it. If there are revenue problems or cost overruns I doubt Revis is going to offer to pitch in (nor should he). The Jets make offers to players based on their best guess as to what will fit under a new salary cap, not based on whether Woody Johnson needs or doesn't need another $5M per year for the next half-decade.

There is a going rate for the best player at his position. Revis feels that the Aso contract has set that bar north of $16M. The Jets believe that bar was artificially set by an owner-GM who doesn't seem to care if his team ever wins more than 5 games in a season. What if Davis gave Aso $20M per year when the 2nd-highest corner makes $10M -- would the Jets still have to offer Revis $20.1M to avoid "insulting" him? How about if Davis offered him $25M per year?

Personally, I thought they'd settle in the $12-13M per season range, which is at or just north of what Demarcus Ware and Jared Allen got. If Revis is taking a hard-line stance on what Al Davis had to offer, to keep someone from leaving the franchise no top players want to sign with, then that's out the window.

As badly as I want Revis on the team for his whole career, if his hard-line stance is unchanged, then the Jets are better off as a team with two firsts and $16M per year of cap room on a $100-110M cap. If he's as valuable as everyone claims surely one NFL team would offer that up.

If Revis didnt want it to get out of hand, he wouldnt use the media as leverage to get the JETS to anti up. He also wouldnt half ass it in mini camp to make a point. Either show up and put in work, or stay the f-ck home and bitch from there. He's just another egotistical superstar who cares about himself and getting a mega payday & not about the team concept like he preaches.

You are wise beyond your years, mamasan.

Archived