Q & A With Cotchery

flgreen

Q&A with Wide Receiver Jerricho Cotchery

Published: 06-17-10

randy_lange_headshot_81x63.jpg?1177529599By Randy Lange

change font email article

Editor-in-Chief

Real Player Not Found

Sorry. You do not have RealPlayer installed or your version is out-of-date.

Click here to install the latest RealPlayer so you can enjoy Jets multimedia.

real_logo.gif

Jerricho Cotchery never ceases to take care of business. It could be in regard the Cotchery Foundation that he and his wife run, but for most fans of No. 89, it's most obvious on the field.

We stopped by J-Co's locker this past week to check in with him about his game and his foundation, days before Mercedes let everyone know with her banner plane message at Wednesday's practice that it was Jerricho's birthday. Here's a Q&A on some of the things that make Cotchery the best NFL wideout that only a few seem to be aware of nationally:

One of the things you're so good at is not dropping passes. One Website had you for one drop all last season. I had you for none. How do you feel about drops? How does receivers coach Henry Ellard treat them in meetings?

We chart those things. You don't want to be on the board for a dropped pass and stuff like that come Monday morning. I don't ever want to drop a pass, period. Sometimes those things happen, but I take it very hard.

Did you in fact have a pass last season that you considered a drop?

Well, yeah, yeah. I think I had one against Tampa, where I could've gotten down and it was one of those over-the-middle throws that just slipped through my arms.

How about your sideline skills? You've gotten some recognition as being one of the very best in the league when it comes to making the sideline catch and getting your feet down inbounds. Is that a natural skill or does it require a lot of practice?

Those are detail things that we work on, and Coach Henry does a great job with that. We do that early on in practice, during warmup. It becomes natural when you're constantly doing it every day. It's something I've worked on.

How long have you been making those amazing tiptoe kinds of catches?

My entire life. I used to do it out in street football. My quarterback, he was Montana, I was Rice. Growing up, I just watched some of the receivers who were in the league at that time and just watched the things they did

One of the things you're so good at is not dropping passes. One Website had you for one drop all last season. I had you for none. How do you feel about drops? How does receivers coach Henry Ellard treat them in meetings?

We chart those things. You don't want to be on the board for a dropped pass and stuff like that come Monday morning. I don't ever want to drop a pass, period. Sometimes those things happen, but I take it very hard.

Jerricho is the man!

Archived