What was the best decade to be a Jets fan?

Jetsfan80

What was the best decade to be a Jets fan?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What was the best decade to be a Jets fan?

I don't know if I would call the 82 team a "Surprise Run".

That was a really the peak of the Michaels teams. They lost the last week of the season to a very bad KC for whatever reason and ended up playing on the road for the post season.

The 80's to me comes down to 82,85 and 86 where they Jets really were Super Bowl contenders.

The 2000's the Jets were basically competitive every year except for 2005 and 2007 but maybe other than 04 I never got that feeling that this could be the year.

They had to win 2 road games to get to the Title game, they were underdogs in each game- it was a surprise run. They played 9 games and were 6-3 which is good but not great.

If '85 and '86 are considered SB contending years then you have to add in '02 and '04. We had a great record in '85 but we didn't even win a playoff game and we had the WC game at home and unlike '85 and '86 I think we actually would have had a chance to win a SB in '02 or '04 had we made it. If we made it in '85 or '86 we would have bee crushed by Chi or NYG.

Everyone is entitle to their opinion, like I said I have the fondest memories of the 80s being a kid watching those teams but from a football standpoint I belive the 00s were the best based on most playoff apps, most playoff wins, most wins in different postseasons and the least losing seasons.

The '86 Jets were as close to the SB as the '04 Jets were- both choked div rd wins and would have been huge underdogs on the road in the title game had they won. The '82 Jets and '09 Jets made surprising runs to the title game. The difference in the 2 decades? The '00s also included another div rd app and a div title which didn't happen in the 80s.

close in the 4th qtr against oak is not a big deal but blowing a 10 pt lead and losing to Cleveland is a big deal? I said we were tied late in the 3rd against oak, it was still a TD game in the 4th qtr.

and yet we never won a div title in the 80s. it's great that we felt the jets were the best but they never earned that. In '00 w/ the 6-1 start many felt we could be the best, in '02 during our great run to close the season many felt we were the best but like the 80s we never proved it but unlike the 80s we did win a division and we did win more playoff games.

The issue is that you only want to look back at how the season finished and determine how good the team was. Sure the '86 team never proved they were the best team in football, but the only Jets team that ever did that was 1969. IMO, the Jets were in the conversation for best team in football in '82, '86 and 1998. In the 2000's they were consistently good, but never great and never even in the conversation for best. If close against the Raiders means anything, then having a game snatched from them in overtime and having that bull**** with the tarp in Miami should mean a hell of a lot more to you.

The issue is that you only want to look back at how the season finished and determine how good the team was. Sure the '86 team never proved they were the best team in football, but the only Jets team that ever did that was 1969. IMO, the Jets were in the conversation for best team in football in '82, '86 and 1998. In the 2000's they were consistently good, but never great and never even in the conversation for best. If close against the Raiders means anything, then having a game snatched from them in overtime and having that bull**** with the tarp in Miami should mean a hell of a lot more to you.

the end result usually tells us how good a team was, I should ignore the fact that the jets lost 5 straight to end 1986 and just focus on how they played at midseason?

Why would we be in the conversation for best team in '82 and '86 but not '04 and '09? '86 and '04 ended the same way while '82 and '09 were similar surprise runs that ended in the title game.

Did Miami play on the same field? I hate the weak tarp excuse, both teams played in the same conditions and Miami beat us TWICE in great conditions in the regular season. They were the better team. How did having a tarp help us vs. Buf a year earlier in postseason?

The 00s had as many SB contenders as the 80s excpet the 00s had more playoff apps, more playoff wins, more div titles, more playoff wins in different years, more road playoff wins, etc...

Archived