Jets Memory Blog

GreenSince93

This is a blog i wrote about a strong memory I had of the Jets, one of my first actually. Just in case any body would take interest and care to read.

http://nskizee.blogspot.com/2010/08/where-it-all-began-for-most-part.html ;

Where it all began (for the most part)

For those of you that don't know me personally, i'm only 17 years old. So therefore, my knowledge of sports only goes back so far, and for those that don't know me at all you'd still be able to know that i bleed green. But with me not even being of age to drink, my memories of the gang green aren't too distant. I remember the Testaverde days, Aaron Glenn's tough-as-bricks play style, Curtis Martin (of course), Wayne Chrebet's tough a$$ lunch pail mentality, Marvin Jones and Mo Lewis and his hit on Drew Bledsoe (That ultimately led to Tom Brady's emergence), the Monday night thriller against the Miami Dolphins where fans left, then refilled the stadium. The other Monday Nighter where Lamont Jordan and Curtis Martin both had 100 yards rushing, i've been there for as long as i could.

I can claim to be a Jets fan since i was 4, since that was the first time my father told me I screamed out the famous J-E-T-S chant and attended a game, but honestly, i can't remember TOO much from that time period. And around then, the only things important to me were pickup football games, candy and saturday morning cartoons. But as I matured, so did my love for the Green. Around the age of 9 and 10 is when we can say we strongly remember things, and that they stick to our minds like glue.

In 2003, I was 10 years old, a young Jets fan (father is a Giants fan btw) unable to see my team play anymore, because my dad didn't want to spend money on a team that he doesn't follow; and didn't want to miss his Giants either. But on Week 9, the Jets were slotted to play the New York Giants. I had asked my father if he'd go see that game, and before I could even finish my question he held up the tickets, and said (I still remember this) "You know it man, there's nothing stopping me from seeing this one".

So on that November morning we hopped in the car, and made our way to East Rutherford, NJ from Roselle,NJ (my hometown at the time). I had on my Jets hoodie, my father had on his Giants one. It was weird to see a little Jets fan walking along side a Giants one, but it was a father son relationship, split down the middle, one side blue, one side green.

The game started out as any other rivalry, two three and outs, hard hits, physical play, trash talk could be heard from the stands. Fights broke out all over, I fondly remember two drunken middle aged white women scrapping in the seat behind me; I loved it. If this is what football was, it was for me. If this is what being a Jets fan was, it was for me.

The game would head to overtime, with big defensive plays being made on both sides, all over. It would end 31-28, but regardless of us taking a loss.. I had been cemented as a Jets fan. I'll never forget that day, it made me who i am now. Watching Aaron Glenn fight, fight, and fight some more. Watching Curtis Martin battle the Giants interior that was in his face almost every play, watching the Jets sideline rally behind the team, seeing Fireman Ed rile up an entire stadium. I wanted to be a part of this unity. The Jets showed me, its not all about winning, its about family. That's why I love them to death.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing it.

I have vague recollections of my dad buying me a kid-size Jets helmet when I was around 6 years old. My dad wasn't into football at all, so I assume he bought it due to the hysteria in NY around the time the Jets won SuperBowl 3. That gift planted the seed in me. I got interested in football about age 13. By age 15 I was a die hard Jet fan. That was the 1980 season. Richard Todd, Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau etc. were playing at the time. Great memories! I am beyond psyched about this season...

yeaaah, every time i think about my past and where i became a Jets fan that day pops up. Its as clear as the sky, i don't have the best memory, but that never fades in my mind.

& i'm just as excited bro. you don't even know, i haven't been anticipating as long as most of you, but its been as long as i can remember.

Archived