Derek Jeter The Cheater?

Lil Bit Special

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2010/09/derek_jeter_adm.html?p1=Upbox_links

300jeter.jpg

Imagine the uproar if the extra run the Yankees got last night after Derek Jeter was awarded first base on a terrible hit-by-pitch call ended up helping the Yankees win.

Jeter acted his way to first base after a pitch in the seventh inning hit the nub of his bat. He shook his arm and winced as if in pain, received a visit from trainer Gene Monahan and was awarded first by umpire Lance Barksdale. At first glance, it did appear he was hit, and broadcaster Michael Kay even exclaimed "You could hear that up here!"

The next batter, Curtis Granderson, belted a home run that gave the Yankees a 3-2 lead. The Rays rallied for a 4-3 victory. Later, Jeter admitted he was not hit.

"It hit the bat," Jeter said. "He told me to go to first base. I'm not going to tell him I'm not going to first, you know."

Here's a link to the video on mlb.com. (Associated Press photo)

Rays manager Joe Maddon was tossed from the game for arguing the call, but he didn't fault Jeter.

"If our guys did it, I would have applauded that, too," Maddon said.

The best comment: Kay later says in the video "It sounded like a titanium golf club." Which also makes you wonder what Jeter's swinging up there these days.

Archived